Chapter 1

Because Perfection Isn't Ideal

            Junmyeon believed in the magic of the night. When all his work was done and he’d finished dinner, he’d leave his fiancée to travel on the metro. He didn’t mind the crowdedness, blending in with the crowds in his comfortable, casual clothes. The cool night air provided an escape from his stuffy office.

            And there was Baekhyun.

            Junmyeon paused for a moment to watch Baekhyun, eye catching on his bright red shoes and sparkling blue jacket. The kid, who would probably be a senior in college if he’d actually bothered going, worked at a music store, selling CDs and posters.

            Baekhyun turned, catching sight of Junmyeon, and waved enthusiastically. “Locking up,” he mouthed, handing the customer’s purchase to the man. Junmyeon leaned against the wall, closing his eyes and absorbing the loud beat of the music in one of the square’s lots.

            Suddenly, Baekhyun appeared beside Junmyeon, flicking his ear and grinning insolently. “Come on, old man. Let’s go.”

            “Don’t call me that,” Junmyeon grumbled, but he followed Baekhyun. The two of them fell in step beside each other, walking past the dances in random sections around the square.

            “When am I ever going to convince you to join?” Baekhyun asked, snapping his fingers in time with the beat.

            “Never.” Junmyeon grinned as Baekhyun pouted at him. “I’ll buy you food,” Junmyeon offered, and Baekhyun brightened noticeably and ran towards the nearest stall. Junmyeon laughed and followed him.

            Junmyeon took a bite of his snack, barbequed pork strung on a stick, watching amusedly as the juice ran down Baekhyun’s chin. He leaned forward and wiped Baekhyun’s chin and then proceeded to his fingers clean. He dodged when Baekhyun tried to hit him half-heartedly, and the two of them collapsed into childish laughter.

            Junmyeon glanced over at Baekhyun, whose eyes were crinkling adorably as beautiful sounds spilled from his shining pink lips. Kim Junmyeon, he realized, could never experience this. Kim Junmyeon was a perfect, polite businessman made up of perfect, calculated smiles; Kim Junmyeon was an authoritative figure who was never known to laugh, and the perfect fiancé as far as the world was concerned. Suho, on the other hand, was an easy-going, fun-loving young man who enjoyed having fun at night.

            Once they’d finished the snack, Baekhyun slipped his hand into Junmyeon’s and began leading him to a very familiar place.

            “Chanyeol’s playing tonight.”

            “Is Chen?”

            Baekhyun shook his head. “You know, we should do a duet one day.”

            Junmyeon smiled tightly. “I don’t sing.”

            “You’re no fun,” Baekhyun sighed, leaning against Junmyeon.

            “Get off.” Junmyeon pushed lightly at Baekhyun’s shoulder.

            “What do you really do, Suho?” Baekhyun turned to him, eyes glittering brightly beneath the silver stars. “You know everything about me, but I don’t even know your real name.”

            Junmyeon swallowed hard, looking away. Those words were familiar. Too familiar. You know everything about my heart and I don’t even know your real feelings. “Let’s go.” He walked faster, and was only a few meters away from Chanyeol’s unofficial stage when Baekhyun caught up to him, pulling him into a hug.

            “I’m sorry,” Baekhyun murmured, his lips brushing against Junmyeon’s ear. “Let’s go, okay?”

            No, Junmyeon’s brain screamed, but he brushed his lips lightly across Baekhyun’s cheek anyway. After all, the night was a time to just release and become Suho. Suho who was, at heart, still a child—and could afford to be one. Just as Baekhyun was starting to turn his head to meet Junmyeon’s lips, Junmyeon stepped back, pulling Baekhyun towards the music.

            Chanyeol had just finished setting up his mic, and was strumming a few chords to warm up. Junmyeon slid thirty thousand won into Chanyeol’s open suitcase, returning his bright grin. He and Baekhyun settled next to each other on the steps. The first few songs were sweet love ballads, attracting the attention of nearby couples. Then, half an hour into Chanyeol’s informal show, the audio switched on, providing a fast, steady beat. Baekhyun jumped up and began dancing while Chanyeol set his guitar down and took a break. Junmyeon sat back, watching Baekhyun amusedly.

            Baekhyun gestured wildly for Junmyeon to join him, eventually walking over and pulling him to his feet. “Come on, dance!” he said, barely audible over the pounding beat.

            Junmyeon followed, ignoring the thought that they were probably putting on a show for the many onlookers, and matched Baekhyun’s rhythm. All the practice he’d had years ago suddenly snapped back into place, and he found Baekhyun twirling agilely around him, their fingertips linked together.

            Eventually, Chanyeol turned off the beat. “You guys are stealing my show,” he complained.

            Baekhyun laughed loudly, and Junmyeon grinned, twirling him around one last time just for good measure. Then they sat down, gasping for breath after the strenuous exercise. There was a brief smattering of applause, and Junmyeon glanced over at Baekhyun, noticing the red that tinted his cheeks perfectly. They shared a secret smile, and Baekhyun reached out to intertwine his fingers with Junmyeon’s.

           

            “Nice show back there,” Baekhyun said to Chanyeol as he joined them on the steps.

            “You guys stole the audience with that dance of yours.”

            Baekhyun rolled his eyes and nudged Chanyeol. “We’re that good, huh?”

            Chanyeol counted the bills he’d earned. “Not as good as Chen, but you guys got me some extra tips.”

            “How about food?” Baekhyun suggested. “Your treat.”

            Chanyeol nodded, and looked at Junmyeon. “Suho, you coming?”

            Junmyeon glanced at his phone and shook his head. “I should get going.”

            “Already?” Baekhyun pouted. He stood and brushed his lips against Junmyeon’s cheek. It was always like that—quick, teasing touches that held no promises, all wrapped in the fleeting uncertainty of the magical night. “You’ll be back tomorrow?”

            Junmyeon forced a smile. How much longer could he keep that promise? “Of course.”