Chapter 6

Because Perfection Isn't Ideal

            Junmyeon ignored Baekhyun’s insistent texts and calls. Two weeks later, they abruptly stopped, and Junmyeon wasn’t sure if he was relieved or disappointed. He tried to give Soojung all of his attention, tried to enjoy his time in Hong Kong. But he’s focusing too much on the good husband role, and not enough on the lover role. He ignored it, using money to buy Soojung anything that caught his eye. They returned with an extra suitcase full of souvenirs.

            Another three years passed by, and Baekhyun never showed up once. For their fourth anniversary, Junmyeon made a restaurant reservation for Soojung. He also bought tickets to a concert Soojung had wanted to see, a concert featuring Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin.

            The dinner went by smoothly with a perfect bouquet of flowers, a gold-and-diamond necklace, and polite conversation. The concert was also perfect: Kyungsoo’s voice echoing throughout the auditorium, Jongin coming up afterwards to perform a ballet-like dance with backups, and Minhyuk doing gymnastics in the end. The segment after that involved Jongin rapping to accompany Kyungsoo’s singing, and Jongin performed a brief tap dance, much to the audience’s delight.

            Junmyeon glanced over at Soojung, who was grinning and clapping enthusiastically. Soojung turned to face him, and flashed him a bright smile. Junmyeon returned it readily, noticing how beautiful Soojung was when she smiled, and dutifully placed a kiss on her cheek.

            The curtains opened, and Kyungsoo was standing before one of the two microphones. He’d changed into a black suit and pants. He leaned forward into the mic and spoke. “For the next three songs, a friend of mine will be joining me onstage. Please welcome—Byun Baekhyun.”

            Suddenly, things were happening too quickly for Junmyeon to process anything as the crowd burst out into applause. This is a dream; this is a dream, his mind repeated frantically. Yes, that’s why Baekhyun was walking onstage, looking crisp and perfect in a white suit and pants, brown hair skimming over accentuated eyes. Baekhyun took the microphone beside Kyungsoo’s and flashed that same glittering smile. But if this was really a dream, why did it hurt so much?

            “Hello.” He bowed formally. “I’m honored to stand here tonight. I’d like to give a special thank-you to Kyungsoo for making this possible. And…” He paused, eyes skimming over the crowd, as though looking at every member of the audience. Junmyeon shrank lower into his seat. “I’d like to thank my guardian angel for all those wonderful, magical nights. Thank you for taking care of me.” Baekhyun bowed again.

            The background music started playing, and Kyungsoo began singing. Junmyeon’s attention, however, was completely fixed on Baekhyun, focusing only on his voice.

            The first two songs finished, and then Kyungsoo spoke into the mic: “The next song was written by Baekhyun as an early Christmas present for all of you.” Then he started:

            I’m struggling to see the you I can no longer see
            I’m struggling to hear the you I can no longer hear.

            Baekhyun joined in with the second verse:

            I can see the things I once could not see,
            I can hear the things I once could not hear.
            After you left me, I have gained a power I didn’t have before.

            Junmyeon was entranced by the entire song, falling into the mesmerizing spell as fake snowflakes began to fall onstage.

            Finally, the song ended, and Kyungsoo and Baekhyun bowed formally.

            “Thank you,” Baekhyun said, voice sounding slightly strained and husky from consistent singing. Then he raised his eyes, and beneath the bright stage lights, Junmyeon realized that he was crying, diamond tears slipping down his cheeks.

            Junmyeon felt something wet on his hand and realized that he, too, was crying.

 

A/N: Prequel to this story here: I'll Pick the Stars for You . Thank you so much for reading!