Chapter 4

Because Perfection Isn't Ideal

            It was difficult to leave such an important person in his life behind, even though he took every precaution to avoid him. Junmyeon and Soojung bought a new apartment on the other side of town, an hour away from his work office. Junmyeon never returned to the town center, and avoided the supermarket as well as the music store, where Baekhyun took regular shifts. The days were filled with work, and he did much more than he probably should. But sometimes, late at night, when all the numbers and letters are screaming in his head, controlling it to the point that he can’t sleep, he would cave and put in a CD, playing the same songs Baekhyun loved until the thoughts are washed away. Junmyeon wants to cry sometimes, but he doesn’t. Instead, he would take out his laptop and does more work. It’s hard on Soojung as well; sometimes, he can hear her soft tears from the room next door. He can see the shine of sadness in her eyes, beneath the flawless makeup.

            It’s been three months, maybe more, since he’d last seen Baekhyun, and while he hadn’t been exactly happy, he’s surviving. It’s a mask he’s used to sliding on, setting a total separation between work and his personal feelings. Even Soojung fell under the “work” category.

            Junmyeon usually left work at six in the evening, sometimes later, putting off the return to a home he doesn’t quite belong in as long as he possibly could. It was nearing six-thirty when he finally stumbled outside, head buzzing from working nonstop for nearly ten hours. He stepped outside, sighing as he looked around for a cab. Instead, his eyes fell on Baekhyun.

            His bag nearly dropped from his hands, and he forced himself to take a deep breath, blinking twice and sliding a cool mask onto his face. His eyes flicked past Baekhyun, and he started to walk past him. Baekhyun quickly stepped forward to block him.

            “Suho, please.” He was practically begging, and his eyes were full of vulnerability.

            Junmyeon clenched his jaw, looking away. Don’t break. Don’t break. Don’t break. “I need to go home.”

            “I’ve been waiting for five hours. Do you ever take a break?”

            “How’d you find this place?”

            “The magazines.” Baekhyun showed him a paper he’d been holding in his hand. Junmyeon winced. The front page was advertising his latest interview. “You know, you look different with your hair up like that.” He glanced at Junmyeon’s gel-slicked hair.

            “My wife’s waiting for me.” Junmyeon absolutely hated using that card, but it’s easiest to end this as quickly and cleanly as possible.

            Baekhyun didn’t flinch physically, but Junmyeon could see the hurt in his eyes. “You had a wife and you were leading me on?” His voice rose into a screech. “Is that what you do for fun, Kim Junmyeon? Do you break people’s hearts for amusement?” Baekhyun paused, gasping for breath. An odd calm passed his face. “I liked you.” His voice had dropped considerably in volume, but to Junmyeon, it was much louder. “Did you ever stop to consider that?” Junmyeon met Baekhyun’s eyes as Baekhyun searched for something in his expression. “Did you…like me too?” The catch in his voice is barely perceptible, but Junmyeon, trained to pick up the slightest changes in one’s composure or voice, picked up on it.

            Junmyeon kept his face blank. He had to remain emotionless, at least on the outside, when all he wanted to do was hug Baekhyun and cover his fears and insecurities.

            “I see…” Baekhyun tugged at his snapback. “Do you have time tomorrow?”

            Junmyeon should have said no and walked away, but instead, he turned and looked at Baekhyun, as though asking for an explanation.

            “Chanyeol and Chen have a gig tomorrow night…will you meet me at the usual place?”

            “Baekhyun,” Junmyeon began.          

            Baekhyun hurried to interrupt him. “Please. Even if you have to pretend. I’ll get over it, I promise.”

            Those words were oddly familiar. I’ll forget you. I promise. Junmyeon hesitated. Baekhyun’s logic was obviously flawed. He couldn’t let Junmyeon’s and Suho’s lives overlap. And Soojung was already hurt enough. But…

            He saw the hopeful light in Baekhyun’s eyes, a wish of bright, happy nights in the magic of pretending. Almost imperceptibly, he nodded.

            Baekhyun grinned happily and pulled Junmyeon into a hug. “Thank you!”

            It took a few moments, but Junmyeon eventually relaxed in Baekhyun’s hold. Junmyeon closed his eyes and breathed in Baekhyun’s scent, one that he missed so much it nearly hurt. Promises of one last time echoed in his head, but he tried to ignore them.

 

A/N: (I shall not stop including Luhan in my fics.) Thank you for reading!