.04

Sister

 

They say time flies when you're having fun. I wouldn't say they're wrong, really. In fact, time flies way too fast.

 I'd forgotten about something reaaaally important.  

How could I forget something for two weeks and remember the instant I saw her face?Her furious face. 

I mentally slapped myself, hard, for forgetting about this. I muttered a string of profanities under my breath, just thinking about the things she would do to me. I knew I was in some deep trouble I couldn't get myself out of now. 

"Where's the backstage pass, ?" Hwayoung glared at me, her eyes shooting daggers into my own and her entire body burning with fury.   

   I panicked, not knowing what to say. I momentarily considered just making a run for it but I knew I would get hell from the devil itself when school reopened on Monday. I decided to just tell her the truth.  

"They're not issuing backstage passes." 

"Don't ing lie, . Your brother's in the band and you couldn't even beg him for those passes? Seriously, what the hell?"  

At this point, I was not panicked anymore, I was more irritated and annoyed at her. Why does she keep calling me a and using profanities at me? Ugh, Hwayoung was really the spawn of Satan.

 "They really aren't, accept it, Hwayoung."  You said it with a sigh, turning your back on her and preparing to walk off and go home. She immediately grabbed your wrist, spinning you around with such force, you couldn't even keep your balance. 

"Don't lie, Haewon!" 
"I'm not lying!"

 Both she and I were exasperated with each other but she wouldn't give up. I sensed a small crowd gathering at the side watching us, and I could see Hwayoung's little gang of friends gossiping among one another. I knew Eunji wasn't there since she didn't attend the concert anyway.

 Hwayoung just wouldn't stop. 

She started grabbing my hair and I screamed, my head spinning recklessly as I fought to regain my balance. The pain seared through my head and I couldn't even reach up to grab her because I couldn't see where she was. 

The whole scene probably looked like a prey-and-predator relationship, with the predator devouring the prey within a matter of time.  My shirt snagged on one of the buttons on her blouse and as I struggled to pull away, I ripped my shirt in the process, exposing my stomach. This didn't stop Hwayoung, though, she just went even crazier, one hand grabbing my hair and one ripping my shirt even more. 

By now, a huge crowd had gathered, on-lookers watching curiously to see the outcome of the fight. I was close to tears now, my pride smashed and my whole body in pain as Hwayoung abused me. 

 I heard a gasp from the crowd as Hwayoung kicked me in the shin. It's all over now. She's going to win and you don't stand a chance, I told myself. Little did I know that the gasp was not caused by Hwayoung's actions. 

"What the hell do you think you're doing to my sister?" I looked up to see my brother, his face contorted in rage, the redness spreading from his cheeks to the tips of his ears. He held Hwayoung roughly by the shoulders, shooting her a dirty look, before saying, "don't you dare go near my sister again."

 He looked at me, our eyes meeting for a second, but a second was long enough for me to see his anger change into sadness and self-blame. He took of his jacket that he had performed in and draped it over my shoulders, covering me up from the flashes of the camera going off right in front of us. He quickly led me away and brought me to where the EXO members were. 

{ B A E K H Y U N ' S P O V } 
. . . 

I ran as fast as my legs could carry me as soon as I heard my sister's strangled scream. I recognised it immediately and left the EXO members without even a word. I knew something had happened to her, I hadn't heard her scream like that since she was eight.

 I pushed through the crowd roughly, not caring about the fans that had already noticed my arrival and my heart stopped for a moment when I saw my sister in that state. 

 Park Hwayoung was ing pulling her hair. I couldn't stop the words that escaped my mouth without warning . 

"What the hell do you think you're doing to my sister?" Hwayoung froze, hearing my voice. I pulled her off of my sister and made sure she understood clearly my intentions.

Seeing my sister in such a state really broke my heart. She looked like an abused puppy, her face streaked with tears. Without hesitation, I removed my suit jacket and placed in on her shoulders. As she was much smaller than me in size, it easily covered her body and I put one hand over her shoulder to lead her away from the prying eyes of the on-lookers. My sister was still sobbing uncontrollable, her sobs racking her body.  It's all my fault. Why didn't I come for her earlier?

"I'm sorry."

"You saved me, Baek. You shouldn't be sorry. I'm really thankful you came."

"I'm sorry for not getting there in time. I didn't do what a big brother should. Protect his sister. What would have happened if he hadn't made it on time? 

{ N O  O N E ' S  P O V }

The EXO members were sitting in the van, having some drinks while Suho and Kris congratulated them on the very successful concert, All of a sudden, Baekhyun, who was seated nearest to the door of the van, dashed out without a word. The members were all confused for a second, wondering what the hell he needed to do at a time like this. 

They thought nothing of it, assuming he went to the bathroom urgently but couldn't help but be amused when he came back, not alone, but with someone else. Kris immediately stopped him.

"Baekhyun, who's that? You can't bring fans into the van."

Baekhyun didn't answer, instead continue the person's hair with one hand and putting his finger to his lip using his other. The members all shut up at once and just watched Baekhyun, waiting for an explanation. The members were of course curious - they couldn't see the person's head since it was covered with a jacket nor her face, since she was looking down. They could only hear her quiet sobs and it was agonizing. 

Chanyeol mouthed to Baekhyun, who's that?

Baekhyun mouthed back, my sister.

Chanyeol nodded understandingly before turning and whispering it to Kris who was seated beside him.

Hearing this, Kris immediately cleared the drinks that they had put on the extra seats at the back so that Baekhyun's sister could sit there. Baekhyun smiled gratefully before whispering something to his sister.

She walked there without a word, and covered herself even more in the jacket, too shy to speak. The atmosphere in the van was tense and quiet; no one dared to speak. Baekhyun walked over and sat next to her, offering her some tissues. 

{ Y O U R  P O V }

Once you felt alright, you removed the jacket from your head but not from your body as you were well aware that there were twelve guys in the van and it was definietely inappropriate to be showing them your stomach.

Baekhyun looked at you, his eyes telling you to introduce yourself to the rest of the members since this was the first time they had seen you.

You started your introduction off shakily, an aftermath from the crying session earlier,

"H-hello everyone, I am Byun Haewon, Baekhyun's younger sister. I'm turning eighteen this year, but I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life yet. Thank you for letting me into the van. I hope we can be good friends."

The guy you recognised as Chanyeol snickered, "Sehun, you're no longer the maknae." Sehun returned his statement with his signature poker face, causing the rest of the members to chuckle. Baekhyun whispered something to Suho and Suho dug around in a big black duffel bag before pulling out a maroon hoodie with the word "EXO" on it. 

"Baekhyun told me about your situation," he said as he passed the hoodie to me, causing my cheeks to burn in embarrassment. I smiled at him before saying a word of thanks.

The van started off towards the hotel the EXO members were staying in, to drop off the other 11 of them since Baekhyun was coming home to spend the night. We chatted like old friends in the bus, surprising even me how well I could relate to them and how easily it was to carry a conversation. Their manager got off to check them in, but we all got worried after he didn't return for half an hour. Xiumin went down to check on him, wondering why he was taking such a long time.

They both came back fifteen minutes later, faces white, presumably from shock.

"They didn't receive our reservation."