CHAPTER SEVEN

Piano Keys and Paint Brushes

GUILT


NEXT DAY

Hyerin was listening to her music teacher ramble on about something she needed to learn and master within the week.

“Ms. Jung. I know you are capable of accomplishing this particular task. But if you fail, I’m afraid it’ll cost you your grade.” The lady with thick glasses waved a finger in front of her.

Hyerin could only utter words of agreement but her mind raced as to how she would get through this.

“Alright, I’m counting on you Ms. Jung.” She gave Hyerin a pat on the shoulder and walked away.

Hyerin blinked at the music sheet the woman gave her and gasped.

The piece was entitled, “Singing Got Better” by (none other than) Ailee.

HYERIN’S POV

“How am I supposed to master this within the week?! Just by looking at the notes here, I can already tell that some are pretty high!” I exclaimed to myself.

“Aish! Why am I doing this?! Why is this happening to me?!”

“Jinjja!”

I flipped through the 4 page music sheet and read the lyrics. The song was a sad one. It portrayed having loved but getting hurt in return. It was tragic. But the song had power to it.

I was just glad it was by one of my favorite artists. Although I’m not really sure how I can pull this off by the end of the week! It’s Tuesday for pete’s sake! I’ve only got three more days for this?! Plus I think the song just got released! I’m not even sure how it sounds.

I reached my locker as I was madly arguing with the paper in my hands. I opened the locker and put my books inside. I took another glance at the music sheet and I just collapsed to the ground.

Then like a kid, I think I threw a tantrum.

“EESH! I already have the music festival performance! Now I have to worry about this too?!”

“Aiiisshhh!”

I kicked, scrambled, and slightly crumpled the music sheet. I even closed my eyes to suppress the tears of agitation.

“AH! Whoa!” a voice sounded as a loud thump followed.

 I felt that my feet had hit someone, and that someone had fallen down.

I threw the music sheet aside and I quickly stood up before he could, and started apologizing.

“Oh, mian! Mian! Mianhadda. It was entirely fault. I’m not myself today. It’s just this performance I’m really worried about and now, my professor gave me something else to do…” I rambled on as I kept bowing. I never even got to look at who I just tripped. I just talked on.

And as I did so, I held out my hand to help the person up.

Shock took over me when the person accepted my hand to help him up, and he spoke.

“So that’s why you were acting to strange yesterday!” he exclaimed.

I finally opened my eyes, only to realize that the person I tripped was Baekhyun.

He was dusting himself off when I looked up at him.

“That was a hard fall!” he laughed.

“I-I really am sorry.” I scratched my head.

“Nah, I’m just kidding. I noticed you were troubled while you were walking. Heh, you walked right past me while you were murmuring something.” He gave a soft smile.

That made me feel even more embarrassed. So I kept my head down.

“Hey, you dropped something.” He noticed the partially crumpled sheets of paper and picked it up.

“Uh, yeah. My professor gave me that to learn.” I uttered.

“This is a new song!” he exclaimed. “I can imagine the melody. I think it sounds pretty good.”

I just gave a smile and slightly nodded at his comments.

“Let’s give a try! Let’s go to the music room!” he suddenly suggested.

My eyes widen and my mind was at once in a mad scramble for an excuse.

BAEKHYUN’S POV

“Hm, my next class is in another hour.” I murmured as I looked at my watch.

Just then, I heard mad stomping and an even more furious flipping of paper. It was distinct because the halls were empty. I looked toward the direction of the sound and saw a familiar girl.

Hyerin.

As she was about to walk by me, I tried to get her attention.

“H-Hyerin-ssi…”

But to no avail, she walked right past me as she spoke under her breath and glared angrily at the sheets of paper she had in her hands.

I tilted my head as my gaze followed her. She stopped at the lockers and opened hers. She stuffed a couple of books inside and once again glared at the papers.

Then out of nowhere, she just threw a fit. She started kicking at the air and nearly destroying the sheets of paper that were obviously the cause of her troubles.

Honestly, the sight amused me. She acted so much like a kid. I don’t think she knows I can see her. Hyerin probably thinks the corridors are empty.

After she seemed to cuss at the papers, I thought of asking her if she was alright.

I had no idea that that decision of mine would cause me pain in any way at all. But it did.

Her mad tantrum kicking managed to hit my foot in the midst of my steps and I lost balance.

END OF POV

“Come on!” Baekhyun beckoned once again.

Hyerin stood there, not knowing what to do.

“He can’t hear me sing. HE CAN’T!”

“Are you alright?” he finally asked.

“Heh…” Hyerin gave an awkward smile and looked from left to right in hopes of finding an excuse but unfortunately, there was none.

Perhaps the guy grew impatient or was it that he was just eager to be with Hyerin, because Baekhyun took her hand and lead them to the music room.

Just like that, the guy was dragging Hyerin to her doom the music room.

Baekhyun laid the music sheets on the piano, sat Hyerin next to him on the chair, and started playing.

 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxI6ynAIV80)

((A/N: Annyeong, it’s me again! Please do try and listen to this song? I promise you won’t regret it! I loved it and also because I’m a fan of Ailee’s. I love the sound of her voice so most of scenes here are inspired by her. Oh, and this time, I’ve included the English lyrics so you guys can understand better. Enjoy!))

“Jeongshini nagaseotji neoui jasanghame…”
(I was out of it because of your gentleness …)

“Neoui dalkomhame, neoui geojitmare…”
(Because of your sweetness, because of your lies…)

Hyerin was taken aback at how his voice sounded singing to a girl’s song. And the lyrics… The words… Hyerin thought… She thought about what she was doing to him again.

“Khumi byeonhaesseotji yumyeonghan gasuboda…”
(My dream changed- instead of a famous singer…)

“Joheun anaega doeryeo haetji jeongmal…”
(I tried to become a good wife…)

“Jeongmal, babogatasseo… Jeongmal babogatasseo…”
(I was such a fool, I was such a fool…)

At this point, Hyerin could no longer look at Baekhyun. She felt guilty. She felt that he was speaking to her through the song. It actually/painfully, sort of fit in to Baekhyun’s dilemma. He was an aspiring singer, going crazy about a girl, but the girl won’t reveal herself, so he feels hurt.

Hyerin  struggled to hold back the tears forming in her eyes. But Baekhyun kept singing. She felt the sincerity in his voice so it made her feel even worse.

 “Noraega neurosseo, neowa heeojigo naseo…”
(My singing got better after breaking up with you…)

“Eumage michyeo saratdeoni modeun norae gasaga…”
(After living crazily with music, all of the song lyrics…)

“Nae yaegi gatasseo jukdorok bulleosseo…”
(Seemed like my story, so I sang them all to death…)

The song was really heavy and sad. The fact that Hyerin had to learn this within the week no longer mattered at the time. All she felt was guilt, sadness, and despair. She didn’t know how to cope.

“Jogeumshik, jogeumshik chacha nunmuri mallagasseo…”
(Little by little and slowly, my tears dried…)

Baekhyun’s playing faded and he slowly opened his eyes.

“Man, this song’s so heavy! Don’t you think so?” Baekhyun remarked as he turned to look at Hyerin.

Hyerin was sniveling. She had her head down and was wiping tears from her face.

“Huh? Oh, Hyerin-ssi! What-What happened?! Did I do something wrong?” Baekhyun panicked at the sight.

Hyerin just kept sniffing. Baekhyun didn’t know what to do.

“I made a girl cry. I’VE NEVER MADE A GIRL CRY! I’VE NEVER MADE A GIRL CRY! Why is she crying?!” he panicked. He didn’t know if he should give her a handkerchief (which he doesn’t have at the moment so, LOL) or just take her to the clinic to see what really happened.

Hyerin sobbed some more and could no longer control it.

“I’m crying… Why am I crying… Why am I crying in front of him… Tch…” Hyerin thought but kept crying anyway.


Double update!! Because I'm not sure I'll be able to update next weekend! Hope you guys like what's happening so far. Please let me know. :))