CHAPTER ONE

Piano Keys and Paint Brushes

ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED


HYERIN’S POV

“AIIISSSHH! Hyerin-ah! Just come with us!” Seulmi was dragging me to the campus gates where a group of excited students were all chattering.

“NOO! I have to prepare for the music festival! Remember? YOU were the one who put me in the program in the first place! Plus, I have a few things to do too!” I kindly replied with a smile on my face.

“Aww, but it’s just this one time! Come on, already!”

“You go. I have to practice Seulmi.”

Seeing that there was no hope of persuading me, Seulmi pouted and let go. She crossed her arms and said, “Okay, okay, okay. Go and practice. Leave your best friend hanging.”

“Don’t try that with me, Seulmi. YOU’RE the reason why I have to practice.” I chuckled.

“Psh, alright. Have fun practicing. Call me later, okay?!”

I nodded and off went Seulmi with the group of people waiting for her.

I heaved a sigh and looked at the setting sun, all the orange, blue, and purple just mixing together to make the colorful sunset. I checked my wrist watch, ‘4:30’ it read.

I walked back inside the school and made my way through the hallways and stairs to the music room on the 3rd floor. The classrooms were all empty and silent as I walked by each of them. I hummed to myself as I was climbing the stairs to the third floor. A few more rooms to her right then, I stopped at the fourth.

‘MUSIC ROOM’ the nameplate read.

I twisted the doorknob and stepped inside.

NARRATOR

She took in the ambience of the room, the music stands on each positioned seat, the pile of sheet music by the corner of the room and a few still on the stands. Then she stopped by the black, grand piano in the middle of the room.

She ran her fingers on its keys and smiled to herself.

She then pulled half of the top portion of her hair and tied it with the red ribbon like she always does. Hyerin wears it all the time, especially when she’s playing.

Hyerin sat herself down and said, “Finally.”

With that, she gently placed her hands on the keys and started playing. She played something new, something she hasn’t sang before.

Hyerin started playing the song, ‘Heaven’ by Ailee.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3wjwKoTT9w)

((A/N: If you will please? Just paste this on your address bar in a new tab? Please? I swear, this will make your reading experience better. You will appreaciate it more if you know how the song sounds. Please bear with me? Jebal~? You'll doing this for at least a couple of times for the story. So, please? Keke... That is all! Enjoy!))

“Niga ineun gosae, nado hamkae halkae…

 Niga kaneun gosae nado hamkae kalkae~” Hyerin started to sing.

“You’re my only one way… Eojik neoreul wonhae~” the song became more powerful as she sang.

Not missing a note on her singing and playing, Hyerin continued singing with all her heart.

“Heaven, nae manhae sarang. Keurae nareul jigyeojul sarang…” she was now on the bridge of the song.

She built up her vocal strength and gave it her all.

“Naega saneun eun neunikka….”

 Hyerin hit the highest part of the song smoothly and beautifully.

“Yeongwonhee deuri seo…Never gonna be alone~So alone. Oh~” she finished the tragic song gracefully and took a breath.

Hyerin smiled at this accomplishment. Then…

“That was great!” someone exclaimed from behind her.

Automatically, Hyerin bowed her head and focused on the black and white keys.

“That voice! Was that a guy’s voice?! Oh my God, I think it was!!!” her mind was instantly in panic.

“Not many people can sing that song so flawlessly.” He continued.

Hyerin couldn’t find her voice. Heck, she couldn’t find herself. There she was just singing to herself and some stranger hears her. She shifted uncomfortably and tried to collect fragments of her courage.

Then she heard his footsteps, coming to her.

“D-did you hear everything?” her voice cracked.

“Yep! I especially liked the high part!” the footsteps had stopped.

She could feel his genuine appreciation but that wasn’t at all important right now.

 “What are you doing here?” she continued conversing to distract him from walking any further.

“Well, I forgot my sheets here when I was practicing an hour ago.” He replied.

“I’m Baekhyun!”

“Why does that name sound so familiar?!” Hyerin thought hard.

Her mind was racing. And so was her heart. It felt like something was just pulling her guts inside, like way inside. It all felt very uncomfortable and she just felt frozen there, with an aching neck.

“Can’t I know your name? Come on, it’s just a name!” he spoke again, this time, taking a few strides.

“OH MY GOD!! SO THIS IS HOW I DIE, OF PURE AND SHEER EMBARRASSMENT?! A COMPLETE AND UTTER STRANGER HEARS ME SING. I MEAN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! EVEN SEULMI HAD TO GO THROUGH A FEW THINGS BEFORE SHE HEARD ME SING!!!”

Then a phone rang.

It rang a few more times and he answered,

 “Hello? Tch, I can’t buy you any fish cakes here you moron! I’m in the music room!”

“My chance!”

Hyerin ran.

Baekhyun yelled for her to stop several times, but she just ran.

She dashed for the door and kept her head down as she ran for dear life.

Panting, she reached the gates. Hyerin tried to catch her breath and clear her panicked mind. She looked back at the doors and saw that no one was behind her so she sighed and walked on home.

BAEKHYUN’S POV

Flashback

“Aish. Of all the things I can forget. I forget my music sheets!” I scolded myself as I was making my way back to the music room.

As I was about three rooms away from the music room, I heard singing.

“Heaven, heaven, heaven, heaven…”

I figured that it was a girl. I listened more to the beautiful singing.

With extreme care and silence, I slipped in through the backdoor of the music room.

For the first few moments, I just stared at her back, nearly memorizing everything about her.

The way her fingers reached for the piano keys…

The way her shoulders rose up when she was heaving for a high note…

The way her hair looked with that pretty red ribbon on it…

And the way that she just sang…

Then when she finished,

“That was great!” I exclaimed from behind her.


*deep breath*... Hello readers! This is a new story and it's sort of dedicated/inspired by someone. So yeah, please support and subscribe. And above all, HAPPY READING!