CHAPTER THREE

Piano Keys and Paint Brushes

RUDE INTERRUPTIONS


“Uhhhnn~ I’m hungry Baek! I want to get some food.” Chanyeol whined.

“You moron. You just ate like 2 bowls of ramen an hour ago!” Baekhyun said in frustration.

“Ugh, but like you said! It was an HOUR ago. I’ve digested that much and now I need food!”

“How can you live like that? And WHERE do you put it all?!”

“Yah, that’s why I’m so tall and you not so tall!” Chanyeol said proudly and crossed his arms.

“Eesh.” Baekhyun frowned.

Hyerin gave Seulmi a look. A ‘what-are-we-going-to-do look’.

Hyerin was so worried. She didn’t want to be found out. Especially not by the guy the school has been swooning over.

Seulmi smiled like the nutjob she was and whispered, “There goes your prince charming! Why don’t we introduce you?”

“Seulmi, are you crazy! No! Come on! We have to get out of here!” Hyerin tugged at her friend.

“Pfft! Are you kidding! Come on! He’s probably been waiting for quite some time! Plus! I thought you said you had to practice?!”

Hyerin was frantic and in the middle of panic yet again.

“Baaaeeekkkk…. Face it! Who you saw the other day must’ve been the campus ghost! I don’t know about you, but I certainly don’t want to see her! Come one, let’s just go! We’ve been waiting forever!” Chanyeol stomped.

With a sigh and a heavy heart, “Hm, I guess she’s really not coming. Did I really scare her? What the heck did I do?” Baekhun thought to himself.

“Tch, you impatient giant. Come on, let’s go.”

Chanyeol skipped as Baekhyun was still deep in his thoughts.

“Phew. That was dangerously too close.” Hyerin breathed.

“Hm, that Chanyeol guy seems cute!” Seulmi mindlessly pointed out.

“Ugh, don’t tell me you’re interested?!”

“What?! Pfft. No. ‘Course not.” Seulmi snapped and scratched her head.

“Mhm. Whatever, Seulmi.” Hyerin sang as she walked to the music room.

Hyerin once again tied her hair using the red ribbon she treasured so much and began rehearsing.

After 2 hours of practice and 4 monologues from dear Seulmi, the two of them decided to call it a day.

NEXT DAY

SEULMI’S POV

“Hm, Hyerin still has a couple of classes. I guess I’ll just hang on the rooftop again.” I thought to myself.

Panting/out of breath, I finally reached the top of the stairs where the door lead to the rooftop.

*breathing sounds* “Those stairs are a in’ nightmare! And to think I had to carry my equipment with me!”

Cho Seulmi is on the arts major. Arts: meaning paintings and sculptures. She loved to paint and mold things that meant a lot to her. Her artworks are always something the professors think are phenomenal. All her teachers think she has a lot of potential only if she uses it properly. But the thing was she’s usually out partying or just hanging out with her beloved Hyerin.

“All done!”

I said in triumph as she had finished laying out my canvass, grabbing a stool and gathering my colorful paint.

I sat and stared at the white, empty canvass for quite a while. Blinking, breathing, and just thinking what I should paint.

“Aha! I’ll do the school’s quad. That should be easy enough.” I claimed to myself.

The school quad was very spacious. At the very middle of it was a bronze statue of the founder, GongXi and all around it were neatly trimmed bushes which displayed its buds of flowers.

The pathways were cobblestones and along them were trees of different varieties, some were even cherry blossoms just swaying with the wind.

I breathed for one last time and started with her painting.

 

NARRATOR

She started with the trees outlining the pathways. As lightly as she could, her brush the green she needed for the leaves and textured the tree’s trunk and branches. Seulmi counted the trees to keep the artwork accurate and herself, satisfied.

Next, she worked on the cobblestone pathways with gray and lines of black.

“Juuussstt a little dab of black in heeerrree….” She was careful as she was at a very delicate part. She was outlining the pathways when…

“HEY! YOU’RE REALLY GOOD!” a very enthusiastic voice yelled from behind her.

Seulmi’s brush ran across her whole canvass and left a long thick line of black on the whole thing.

Her eyes pretty much dropped and her nostrils flared as she held real tight on her brush while she glared at her ruined work.

“You.” She said under her breath.

Seulmi slowly and creepily turned to see who it was who had just ruined her work.

“You… “ Seulmi had her paint palette ready to throw at the unsuspecting stranger.

“YOU MORON! WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WA--!” she couldn’t finish as she saw who it was.

He was already flinching. Seulmi still had the palette in her hand. He was real tall, but he was flinching over Seulmi’s paint palette.

Seulmi obviously recognized him.

“AH! Please don’t!” he quivered.

Seulmi breathed out and calmed herself despite her vandalized painting.

“Tch, quit it. You sound like you’re about to be .” She snarled.

Chanyeol cautiously put his arms down as they had been shielding him in case of the angry throw.

Seulmi put the palette down and sighed.

“I-I’m sorry if I startled you.” He started.

“Khh, you did more than startle me, Dude.” Seulmi stood up and revealed her desecrated work.

“Oh. Damn, I really am sorry. Were you supposed to submit it?” he apologetically asked.

“Hmm. No. I was just passing time.” She breathed and put her hands on her hips.

“You’re really good at that. I’m Park Chanyeol! I’m sorry I ruined your work.” He bowed.

With another breath of depression, Seulmi replied, “I kind of know who you are. I’m Cho Seulmi. You can forget about it. It was nothing important anyway.”

“How do you know who I am?” he curiously asked.

“Psh, you and your friend are the only talk of the school! How can I not know you?” Seulmi said as she began to clear up the paint she had been using.

“Oh. Well it’s nice to meet you!” he smiled brightly.

“You too.” Seulmi smiled.

“Let me help you with that! It’s the least I can do after barging in on you.” He offered as he was already taking down the canvass.

“Oh yeah, what were you doing here anyway? Were you lost or something?” Seulmi asked as she was gathering her brushes.

“Hm, oh no. I like being here. It gave me a full view of where I am and where I need to be!” Chanyeol replied absently but Seulmi knew it was pretty deep.

“What about that friend of yours? Why isn’t he with you?”

“Oh, Baekhyun? He’s been looking for the girl he heard singing in the music room the other day.”

Seulmi’s eyes nearly bulged out as she heard this.

“You wouldn’t happen to know anyone who sings in the music room in the afternoon would you?” he inquired.

“Cr*p! What do I do?! If I tell him, Hyerin might never talk to me again. On the other hand, her prince charming awaits! NO! I have to NOT in this. HE has to find HER on his own. I won’t meddle!”

“Uh, no. I don’t. Sorry.” Seulmi lied.

“Oh, thanks anyway.” He flashed another blinding smile.


Updated! Hello! I hope you enjoy the update! Happy reading and feel free to leave a comment and subscirbe! :D