CHAPTER ELEVEN

Piano Keys and Paint Brushes

A BEAUTIFUL MELODY


“It’s so sweet how you went through all that trouble!” Hyerin said in awe.

“Tch, he shouldn’t have given it so nonchalantly to me. I had to work on making another one since I threw his away. And when I heard that it was really important to him, I felt awful.” Seulmi sighed.

Hyerin gave a smile at how thoughtful her friend is. “So, how about the school festival? Are you ready?”

Seulmi gave a smirk and answered, “Are you ready?”

“What do you mean?” Hyerin raised an eyebrow.

“Your performance!”

Hyerin sighed in defeat. “You mean the performance you forced me to do? How could I forget?!”

Seulmi giggled as she looked out the nearby window. “Hey! It’s snowing!”

Hyerin turned her head the same way and also noticed the falling flakes of snow piling up by the window pane. None of them had realized that it was winter season again. The school’s festival usually falls around this season so it was more fun. The cool air would always drive people to try some of the hot treats and food in the festival.

“I guess that’s why it’s called our winter festival.” Hyerin stated.

“So, I guess it’ll be your last practice later! Where should we meet up?” Seulmi asked giddily.

Hyerin rolled her eyes and said, “I’ll meet you by the school gates. I kind of want to go home after this. Besides, I’m not in charge of any school activities.”

“Alright. I’ll see you later!”

LATER THAT DAY

The cool breeze blew every now and then and the road had turned into white pathways because of the snow. Icicles formed on nearly everything.

“Tch, where is that girl?” she checked her watch once again. “I really need this last practice.” She kept murmuring to herself.

She walked around the school gates and paced on the sidewalk.

Hyerin heaved a sigh and decided to lean on the railings and put her left hand on it to balance herself. The railing felt cold on her hand but she didn’t mind.

She took one more glance at her watch and decided to march off by herself. Hyerin made her way to the music room but as she walked, she heard a melody on the piano. It was faint but as she walked nearer, the tune was clearer. She blinked and titled her head as she struggled to recognize the music.

(I needed and wanted to insert a link to EXO’s Angel but somehow, the website won’t even permit me to open youtube T_T please don’t be mad L and to those of you who already know or have downloaded the song, you can use it for ambience. Again, I’m so sorry for this. L()

She stopped right in her track which was by the closed door. She was assured as to who it was when she heard Baekhyun’s low voice softly singing the lyrics.

“Neoui sesangeuro … yeorin barameul tago …”
“Taken by the soft wind to your world”

“Ne gyeoteuro … eodieseo wannyago …”
“You asked me brightly where I came from to your side”

“Haemarkge mutneun nege … bimirira malhaesseo …”
“And I told you that It was a secret”

“Manyang idaero … hamkke georeumyeon …Eodideun cheongugilteni…” 
“Wherever we walk together will be paradise”

BAEKHYUN’S POV

“I wonder why Yeol was so caught up with that paper crane?” I scratched my head as I wandered aimlessly.

“He was smiling at it as he walked away a while ago.” I shrugged at the weirdness of my companion.

As I passed by the music room, I noticed that it was completely empty so I took the opportunity. I took a seat for the piano and laid my hands on the keys.

“I still don’t know who she is…” I thought as I remembered the girl’s voice.

I decided to work on one of the tease songs for our project in the company. Its title is Angel.

As the title implies, I was going for something like I was talking to an angel. In some weird way, it made me think about the girl I’d heard singing in this same music room. In the song, I put in a part where I just felt like I wanted to be her guardian, the one who protects her. Even if everyone turns their back on her, I’d be there and just stand by her always.

And if for some reason, I lose my being an angel and lose my eternal life, I’d have no reason to be lonely because then, I have her.

As I had finished polishing the song with every power I had, I felt myself playing the similar music I’d heard from the girl. (Remember? ‘Heaven’ by Ailee)

Baekhyun played it much slower than it should so it really emphasized the sadness even more. His voice, low and seemed to be in pain.

The last thing that went through his mind was, “Will I ever get to meet her?”

END OF POV

Hyerin just stood there listening to the melody Baekhyun had been trying to improve. She thought the song had a really good harmony and that its lyrics were excellent. But she awakened from her thoughts when he suddenly shifted into a different tune. Hyerin instantly recognized this one, it was the same song she played and sang to when she first “met” Baekhyun.

She heard his voice singing a girl’s song once again. Obviously, he’d changed the pitch and turned the song into a much depressing one. Hyerin nearly felt the pain reaching her just as she leaned on the door. She almost felt sorry for him.

After a few more chords of music, the playing stopped and everything was silent. Hyerin looked at her watch and a good 2 hours had gone by as she had just sat on the floor and eavesdropped on someone playing.

She stood up and dusted hersef off. Hyerin decided to practice at home and leave him be. He must be going through something. She kept thinking to herself but before she actually made a move to leave, the door cracked wide open and there she was, face to face with Byun Baekhyun.

“Oh! Hyerin-ssi! Were you there the whole time? Are you going to practice or something?” Baekhyun smiled at her.

“Uh, yeah. Practice. Well I was… But—“

“Oh, did I take too long? Hehe I’m so sorry.” He scratched his head and snickered to himself.

“N-no, it’s fine. Anyone can use the music room, you can use it all you want.” She gave him a genuine smile. “I just didn’t think that there’d be someone practicing at this hour and at this weather.”

“I guess I just suddenly felt like playing right now.” He seemed more reflective in his statement.

“Is there something wrong?” the words slipped out of Hyerin’s mouth and showed how much of a caring person she is.

Baekhyun looked up at the girl and noticed that she actually seemed concerned.

Realizing that she’d engaged herself in something she really couldn’t commit to, Hyerin spoke again. “I mean, if you don’t want to tell me, or if it’s something really personal and private, it’s okay if you don’t tell me. Heck! It’s okay if you don’t want to talk at all. I—“ she took a deep breath because she’d said way too much. “I’m gonna go. I’m bothering you. Bye.” Hyerin had already turned and started to walk when…

“Wait!” the single word brought chills to Hyerin. “A-are you here alone? I mean are you alright walking home alone in this weather?”

Hyerin slightly turned just to give her negative response but Baekhyun beat her to it.

“Come on, let me at least walk you home. I made you wait and you didn’t even get to practice.” He had already caught up to her and was more eager to go than the latter.

“No, I can handle it. I’m used to it.” Hyerin

“Walking home alone?” Baekhyun asked.

“What no? Err, I meant I can do it… Uh on my own… You know?” Hyerin shrugged.

Baekhyun seemed totally unconvinced but he uttered the words, “Alright.” He slowly backed away and gathered his papers in the music room.

Hyerin felt like she’d dodged a bullet when she breathed in relief. She felt her phone vibrating.

Seulmi:

Hyerin-ah! Mian, I fell asleep. Where are you now?

Hyerin felt herself roll her eyes when she replied that she was already on her way home. She turned and started for the stairs.

Oddly enough, she felt the need to look behind her to make sure Baekhyun hadn’t followed her. He didn’t.

Hyerin was by the school gates now. That was the moment when she heard footsteps that were clearly not hers. She decided to walk a little faster to see if it would follow her. And to her fright, it did.

Her mind raced. She tried to look for some authority but to no avail, everyone was probably indoors because of the weather. She mentally panicked. She took out her phone to call Seulmi to see if it was her.

But to her demise, Seulmi answered although groggy.

“Mmmm, whhhaaaattt? I told you I fell asleep?” the other line spoke.

“S-someone’s following me. Help me.” Hyerin whimpered.

“WELL RUN!” Seulmi was instantly awake.

Hyerin did as she was told and ran without any sense of where she dashed off. Panting and with wobbly knees, Hyerin held onto a lamp post and tried to catch her breath.

But then there was a hand on her shoulder. Hyerin squealed but the suspect was explaining.

Seulmi screamed on the other line and kept repeating “Just run, HYERIN!!!”

“Whoa, whoa it’s me! It’s Baekhyun!”

Seulmi heard the man and quit screaming. “Oh. Ooohh~ I’m haning up.” She giggled to herself.

Hyerin by the time, had also stopped screaming. “Why did you follow me?!” she was still a little frantic.

“Tss, I wasn’t going to let you walk alone in this weather!” he smiled insanely way too brightly .

“I thought you were some psycho murderer so I ran.” She felt more at ease now. But as she scanned the spot where they stood, she was way farther than where the path to her house was.

This only meant one thing. It was going to be a long walk with him.


Eow phoewzz, ajajajajaja. Enjoy reading! Sorry it took sooooooo long. x) MARAMING THANK YOU PA RIN SA PAGBASA. Seriously, it means so much. :) Update ka rin ha? ENJOY READING PLEASE? LOL