(1/7)

Fix you

Autumn trees are beautiful. Every shade of brown that hung on trees, dancing with the wind. On occasion, a pretty girl all decked up in a warm coat just right with a scarf around her neck walks past, makes a perfect scene for a movie. Glimpse of her life, Kyungsoo thinks. That's all anyone will ever see. No one will understand anyone whole, understand the pain-

"Mr Do?" A man, tall, blond, wide forehead with angry brows. Around 187cm with a black coat snug around his lean waist. The cafe bustled around him, a halo of noise that surrounds.

"Mr Wu! Nice to meet you. I love that coat! Is it Armani?" Mr Wu visibly relaxed, shoulder slacking and posture taller, confidence fueled with relief of identifying the right guy.

"Call me Kris! And yes its Armani. You sure have an eye for fashion." Someone spills a coffee at the back, scrap of table against the floor.

"Nah I just know enough. Please have a seat." Kris settled into the sofa, smile a constant on his face.

"How may I be of service today?" Kris was cheery. Kyungsoo hands were clasped, thumbs fidgeting. He didn't know how to start.

"My friend gave me your card and from what I know, you... fix people?"

"Yes and I haven't failed thus far. Do you have anyone you know that needs fixing?"

"Well yes. But his quite a mess. Are you sure you can do it?" Fingers fidget some more, eyebrows slightly furrowed.

"If he is willing to let me help him and with my skills and knowledge. I don't see why not. Who is he?" Relax, Kyungsoo notes. Body laid back into the seat, body posture open, legs crossed. A smile that exudes pride in his work. Kris is relax.

"He is me."

 

 

 

Kyungsoo and Kris discussed all the arrangements required for Kris to do his job. That includes the handing over of Kyungsoo's privacy whenever Kris deems fit and money. A whole lot of money. That was two weeks ago.

Two weeks into following Kyungsoo around and Kris still do not know why Kyungsoo hired him. What needed to be fixed? From what he has seen so far Kyungsoo is perfect. He sleeps at ten, wakes at seven, have his breakfast and goes to work. Says Hi to all his colleagues and buys them coffee every now and then. He makes the right decision when faced with problems and does charity work at the orphanage every other weekend. Kyungsoo smiles and frowns, likes and dislikes like any normal person would. What is there to fix?

But when Kris thinks about confronting Kyungsoo, a whole lecture about how his wasting his time prepared in his head, he is reminded of the saddest eyes he has seen so far and he backs down.

He wonders about how anyone could have those eyes, a beautiful golden brown marred with scars never to be forgotten. He stares at the beautiful porcelain face and heart shape smiles and wonders how his services could be of use when Kyungsoo, while disfigured, picked himself up, fixed himself but still needed Kris to fix him.

What needed to be fix?

"Can I visit your house?" Kyungsoo was at the staff pantry getting a cup of tea. He hesitated before grabbing the peanut buttter biscuits too.

"What for?" Kris smirked and lowered his voice down an octave.

"To get to know you better." Kyungsoo choked on the biscuits, he shouldn't have ate them. Kris sniggered as Kyungsoo beat his chest, dislodging the few chunks still stuck in his throat.

Glaring at Kris, he replied: "You can come over tonight. Stay over if you want. I have a couch." Kris eyebrows shot up.

"Why aren't you an eager little beaver! Two weeks and I get to stay over!" Striding pass Kris, Kyungsoo made his way to his office, ignoring the stares that followed him, or more accurately, Kris. He settled into the leather chair and place his cuppa tea on the coaster at the top right-hand corner of his desk before looking up at Kris. "Get your mind out of the gutter Kris."

"Well I guess I'll be staying for breakfast too." Kris wiggled his eyebrows as Kyungsoo shaked his head in surrender.

 

Kyungsoo lives in a modest studio apartment that, with careful planning, he managed to make the most out of. A whole wall was occupied by shelves that served as storage space for everything and anything. The lower level housed a kitchen and a couch placed in front of the plasma screen completed within a surround sound system. The small flight of stairs led to his open bedroom and the only other door in his house led to the bathroom. There was only two windows located in the house. A tiny one beside Kyungsoo's bed and the other on the wall leading to the bathroom. All in all, Kris concludes, it was tiny, yet spacious and neat. 

The couch Kris was sitting on is huge. Kris could lie down and the couch would still be longer than him, he thinks. He was about to test out his theory when Kyungsoo cleared his throat with two cups of hot chocolate in his hand. Kris scrambled up and took his cup from Kyungsoo's extended hand, clearing his throat like it could clear the embarrassing heat that crawled up his neck. Kyungsoo sat on the chair opposite him.

"So... Why no pictures?" Kris eyes were enquiring. Kyungsoo shifted in his chair before answering.

"Never felt the need for them. They collect dust." Kyungsoo took a sip of his beverage.

"Hmm. How long have you been living by yourself?"

"Ever since I got out of high school. That's six years."

"When was the last time you brought someone over?" 

"Never." Kris coughed into his hand before breaking down into fits of laughter. Kyungsoo just rolled his eyes, getting up to pass Kris a napkin.

"So that makes me you first! I'm your first!" His tone was laced with mirth as he watched Kyungsoo make his way up the stairs. Kyungsoo stayed silent as he sifted through his clothes, looking for a T-shirt, sweatpants and a clean pair of underwear.

Kyungsoo hands over the garment to a bemused Kris. "Well Mr. First, the toilets on the right. You should be able to find everything you need. I'm going to sleep now so switch off all the lights before you sleep. Goodnight." Kyungsoo turned away before Kris could reply, turning off his night light to shroud his open bedroom in darkness.

When Kris came out of the bathroom fresh as a daisy, the table lamp illuminated the tiny apartment enough for Kris to see the blanket Kyungsoo had laid out for him on the couch. A small smile formed on Kris's face as he traced the blanket.

"Goodnight Kyungsoo."

Kris got a rude awakening the next day by the raucous roar of Kyungsoo's laughter when he saw that the sweatpants was only halfway to Kris's calf.

 

 

Four weeks into the job Kris thinks he figured it out. Kyungsoo was lonely. That's it! Kyungsoo needs someone to spice his life up! Have a little fun at night, wake up to morning kisses. That's what Kyungsoo needs. A partner.

That's the reason why Kyungsoo was currently sitting at a restaurant, dressed to the nines with an aghast look on his face.

"Kris I don't understand. What am I doing here? I don't need this!" It was five minutes before the date was due to come. Beautiful, petite, long silky hair. Kris had made sure he got someone Kyungsoo can't say no too.

"Trust me you need this. You hired me to fix you, this is me fixing you. Let me do my job." Kyungsoo was at a lost for words.

"Yes I hired you! But this is not how you fix me! Getting me a date for a night is not going to fix me Kris."

"She is not a date for one night Kyungsoo, she is a date for many nights to come, or so I hope. And don't tell me how to do my job. You are lonely Kyungsoo, you need someone. Your routine life is boring. Everything about you is boring. And its boring the hell out of me. You are lonely and you need someone so let her be that someone. Give it a go. If this doesn't work, I'll find another solution. But for now just try this out. Okay?"

Kyungsoo was silent, he looked at Kris, a hint of disappointment mixed in the swirl of emotion. Shoulders high, teeth clenched, a frown the wrinkled brows. Kris was agitated, Kyungsoo notes. He nods and Kris relaxes just in time for the date to walk in. Kyungsoo avoids Kris searching eyes, cleared his throat and introduce himself.

 

 

 

The date when well but the relationship didn't. Two weeks after, Kyungsoo called it off and before Jenny (or was it Penny? Kris can't seem to recall) left she told Kris to fix Kyungsoo. Now Kris was genuinely confused. 5 years as a fixer and 23 successful cases and he still cannot figure out what was wrong with Kyungsoo. Penny seemed like she figured everything out.

Kris found Kyungsoo in his apartment looking through paperwork.

"What do you need Kris?"

"You broke up with her. Why?" Kris was leaning against the door frame, hands cross at his chest. Defensive.

"It didn't feel right."

"She came to me and told me you needed fixing. I'm confused."

"About?"

"Why she figured what needed to be fix and how I can't seem to."

"That's because I told her I was gay. Apparently she's a little homophobic but that's not why I hired you."

"Than why did you hire me?" Kris was frustrated, voice raised higher than usual. Kyungsoo took a deep breathe, eyes shut and put down the work he was looking through. He turned to look at Kris.

"Because I need to be fixed." Kyungsoo's tone was steely, cold. Eyes challenging Kris's own. A silent engulfed the room. Kris broke eye contact first, clearing his throat whilst looking away.

"Are you really gay?"

"I'm bi." Kyungsoo's voice was a whisper.

"Huh."

Kris left the room with a smile on his face.

 

 

 

It took two months for that glitch to occur. Kyungsoo was lying in his bed, staring out the window. Winter nights are cold, as cold as his freezing heart. Snow is beautiful, every one of them a unique shape of their own falling down the sky, melting against the window. Disappearing into the ground. Oh how Kyungsoo wished he could disappear.

Sadness surge through his whole body and Kyungsoo basked in it. Like a dog getting rewarded by his master Kyungsoo relished the sadness. He closes his eyes and let the high take over, tears forging a track down his cheeks. He curled in his bed and pulled his legs to his chest, burying his face into the mattress. He silent tears transformed into wrecking sobs and he tries his best to take a breathe, grasp the air. Suffocating, so so suffocating. The pain in his chest, it was unbearable but he needed it. No one will understand.

 

 

That was how Kris found Kyungsoo on Christmas night. Kyungsoo was huddled in his blanket, body shuddering with every breath he took. Kris was shock but he didn't say anything. Just sat beside him and hugged him. Moments passed as Kyungsoo stopped shaking.

"I have a problem Kris." Kyungsoo's voice was rough yet soft.

"That's why I'm here. I'll fix you."