Saturday Blues

Letting Go & Holding On

 

 

Taeyeon’s

           

            I woke up on a Saturday feeling excited. I rolled to the other side of my bed and picked up her scent. That's weird. Did she sneak here last night? It's still warm too. I stretched with a smile and got up from my bed. 

            I went to her room and saw her bed were neat. Although the gift I gave her was no longer on the bedside table. 

            I went to the living room next and found her sitting on a couch. She didn't notice me because her focus was on the laptop in front of her.

            I let out a quiet sigh before I greeted her, "Morning."

            She looked up slightly and greeted me back with a smile before she went back to her laptop, "Good morning, Tae."

            I huffed before I went to the kitchen to make coffee. All excitement and expectation for the weekend went down the drain once I saw her working. 

            I brought the mugs to the living room, put it on the table, and sat beside her.

            "So... what are we going to do today?" 

            I folded my arms. I was disappointed because she said she's going to make up for our failed anniversary, but the first thing I saw this morning was work-mode-Tiffany.

            She put up her forefinger without leaving her eyes from the laptop, "Wait just oooooooone second.......... Okay! Done~" 

            Finally she closed her laptop and looked at me. 

            She gave me an eye-smile, "Hi~"

            I couldn't believe how gullible I was because my lips twitched and formed a smile, "Hi."

            "Thank you for the gift." she put the laptop on the table and turned her body to face me, “I love it!” I saw my gift looking pretty on her neck.

            When I opened my mouth to answer, her cellphone started to ring. Both of us looked at the device on the table and it was her boss.

            She didn’t hesitate for one moment to pick up the ringing phone.

            “Hello?”

            I leaned back and folded my arms again.

            “It’s okay. What can I do, Sir?”

            This didn’t sound good.

            “Oh, okay. I can do that.”

            I started to frown.

            “It’s fine. I’ll be right there, Sir.”

            She ended the call and looked at me apologetically, “Taeyeon-ah, I’m sorry. I think we need to reschedule again.”

            I knew it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            So here I was, on the couch, watching whatever it was on TV on a Saturday night, alone. I still couldn’t believe she had a meeting on Saturday, the day we’re supposed to have our anniversary celebratory like she promised. I was mad and clearly disappointed, but she didn’t even realize. She just said sorry, promised would come home as soon as the meeting’s over, and make up for it tomorrow in haste before she left. 

            I spent the day at home, sulking by myself. I wanted to tear up the place and trashed her room, but in the end, I just sat in front of the couch with the TV on. 

            Suddenly, my cellphone was ringing and I expected it to be Tiffany, saying she’s done and maybe we could still eat dinner together somewhere but it was from Hyomin. I picked it up lazily.

            “Hel-”

            “Yah! Kim Taeyeon, why did you lie?

            Seriously, this made my mood worse, “What the? What are you talking about, Hyomin-ah?”

            “Sooyoung said you can’t hang out today because you had a plan with Tiffany. But I just saw her with her friend at a restaurant a couple of minutes ago.

            “WHAT?!”

            “Shoot! The movie’s about to start now.” She said in a whisper unaware of my shocked response, “you better have one heck of an explanation, Taeyeonie. I gotta go now. Oh, the potluck for next week is on, you hear me?! Bye~”

            The line went dead and I stared at my cellphone in disbelief. She went out with her friend? What the heck was this?!             

 

 

Tiffany’s

 

            “Thank you everyone for coming on your day off and on a very short notice.” The CEO smiled apologetically to everyone in the meeting room.

            Some just gave a fake smile while some didn’t even bother to hide their annoyance.

            “So how about I treat you guys dinner then?” he spoke again trying to appease the heads of department who had to come today for an urgent meeting.

            But it was no use since they have family or lover to get back to on a Saturday night like this. Everybody left the meeting room one by one, saying that indeed they have people waiting for them at home.

            In the end, there’s only him and me on the meeting room. He looked at me sadly, “I’m really sorry to call you and everybody on your supposedly refreshing day.”

            He didn’t really have a choice, since even though he’s the CEO, but he still had the higher ups to report to.

            “It’s okay, Sir. We understand.”

            He smiled bitterly, “I know you do. But they don’t. I bet they want to curse at me when I call them this morning.”

            I couldn’t say anything back since the others were clearly pissed to have to go to work on Saturday.

            “Well, don’t you have anyone waiting for you at home, Miss Hwang?”

            I contemplated. Taeyeon must be waiting for me, but he looked remorseful enough that I couldn’t make myself reject his dinner invitation.

            “If not, then please let me buy you dinner?” he asked again with a weak smile.

            I couldn’t say no, could I? “Sure, why not?” 

 

            Dinner went okay and as usual, we talked mostly about work. But we talked a little bit about our family and the most personal stuff I knew from him now was he had an older brother who handle his father’s other company overseas.

            When I reached my apartment building, I felt exhausted. The meeting itself was draining and even though dinner was fine, but still it was dinner with the boss. I couldn’t really relax.

            I was hoping I could crash on my bed as soon as I stepped inside my apartment. I didn’t even put my shoes neatly once I entered.

            I saw Taeyeon watching TV on the living room and my legs gave up when I approached the couch. I sat beside her and stretched my hand to grab hers, but.....

            “Where have you been?” it was the coldest tone I heard from her.

            My hand stopped just beside hers.

            “What’s with the question? You knew I had a meeting today.” I answered.

            “Does that include going dinner with your boss?”  

            Uh-oh. I forgot to tell her about the dinner. But, how did she know about it?

            I turned my head to face her, “How did you know?”  

            She scoffed but still had her eyes on the TV, “Hyomin saw you with a ‘friend’. So it was your boss, huh? Why are you hiding it from me?”

            I felt a little bit guilty for forgetting to tell her about it, but it was not a big deal. He was just trying to return the favor because I was willingly went to work on a Saturday. But what’s with her accusation of me hiding it?!

            “I’m not hiding it from you! I just forgot to tell you. I’m sorry for that, okay.”

            She folded her arms and she looked mad.

            “Taeyeon, I’m not hiding it from you. It was just a nice gesture. He felt bad because he made his subordinates work on the weekend.”

            “Nice gesture my .” She hissed.

            I was surprise at her words and tone, but I didn’t say anything back. I turned my head to look at the TV and felt more tired.  

            “He’s flirting with you.”

            Seriously? I was tired from today and this conversation got on my nerves already.

            “No, he’s not.”

            “He asked you to dinner, on a Saturday night!” she raised her voice.

            “He asked everybody else too!”

            “Then why Hyomin only saw the two of you?!”

            “Because I’m the only one who could go! What the hell is wrong with you?!” I raised my voice too and turned to look at her again.

            She was facing me and I never saw her this angry before.

            “What the hell is wrong with YOU?! You ditched your own girlfriend to go with him!”

            “HE’S MY BOSS! I couldn’t say no to him!”

            “Then at least can you say to him that you have a girlfriend?!”

            “You know I can’t! I don’t know where he stands about same gender relationship and I don’t want it to be a threat to my job!”

            “He can’t fire you because your ual preference!!”

            “I know that! But I don’t want him to think of me differently!”

            She widen her eyes even more, “Why do you even care about what he thinks of you?!”

            “Of course I care! For the hundredth time, he’s my freaking boss, Taeyeon!”

            “You like him, don’t you?”

            What in the world?!

            “HOW COULD YOU THINK LIKE THAT?!”

            “How could I not?! We’re supposed to celebrate our anniversary today, but you chose to have dinner with him!”

            I wanted to answer back, but I know it was partly my fault. She opened again before I knew what to say, “I don’t even feel like I have a girlfriend anymore.”

            My eyes widen in surprised, “What?” 

            “You’re always, always busy with your job. You never have time for me. You even worked until late at night on our anniversary!”

            I got defensive at that, “I apologized for that! And I do want to make up for it, but today was really unexpected! I thought you understand?”

            “I did.” She looked away from me, “But I don’t think I can understand you anymore.”

            What’s that supposed to mean?

            She stood up and walked towards the door.

            “Where do you think you’re going? We’re not done here!”

            “Yes we are. We’re so done.”   

            When she shut the front door, I just realized that this was our first real big fight and tears started to flow out.

 

 

 

Taeyeon’s

           

            I needed fresh air. I needed to get away from her. I never liked arguments, let alone raising my voice and a verbal fight like that.

            I finally told her what’s been bothering me even though not in a way I imagined. But knowing about her dinner with her boss just pulled the last string on me.

            I heaved a heavy sigh and looked around me to see that my feet brought me to the train station.

            I didn’t think clearly when I bolted out from my apartment without wallet and cellphone. So there’s nothing I could do since I didn’t bring any money with me.  

            I didn’t want to get back yet. I was still pissed off. But what could I do now? I couldn’t go to Sooyoung’s or Hyomin’s place because I didn’t have any money and their places were impossible to go to without transporation. 

            I contemplated on what to do when suddenly I heard a voice behind me,

            “Noona?”