Chapter 4

Subject 51108

It seemed like only days had passed when in reality weeks had passed since the last time a new subject came in. Minseok's guess was that everybody was already dead. Luhan guessed that they stopped looking and gave up. But Minseok didn't really care. He thought it was a good thing that more people weren't coming in, there was enough that were captured and there was no need for more.    

Minseok noticed that things were begining to change. They weren't changes that would physically help Minseok or Luhan but the little things were changing. 

There were no more painful screams at night that would wake the subjects from their sleep. There were no more random check ups from the people in white. But the biggest thing that changed was that they were allowed to leave the rooms that the subjects had  been locked up in. Maybe there really were no more people to capture

There were also no more mirrors in the bathrooms because of the incident that happened in the room that Minseok and Luhan are in. It still gave Minseok the shivers when he thought back to seeing the boy's dead body laying on the tiled floor of the bathroom.

Minseok and Luhan roamed around the building freely, not being told to go back to their rooms. Sometimes when they turned to enter a hallway there would be too many people, making it impossible to pass through. So they had to turn back around.

They tried to find Tao but to no avail, he was no where to be seen. Minseok thought that he was mixed in with the people that crowded the hallways.

Minseok and Luhan found an empty hallway, with the exception of one or two subjects occassionally passing through. Minseok's back pressed agianst the wall and he slid down until he was sitting on the cold cement. He sighed as Luhan sat next to him and he found himself resting his head on Luhan's shoulder, his eyes shut. 

When Minseok lifted his head up from Luhan's shoulder he looked straight ahead of him, starring at the cement wall across from him and Luhan. He failed to realize that Luhan was looking at him, inching a bit closer so that their thighs were touching.

Minseok flinched when he felt the warm flesh of Luhan's hand touch his thigh, a rip in his worn out jeans allowing their skin to touch. It was nice feeling, something that Minseok never expected to happen. Minseok leaned into the touch and Luhan's thumb began to rub circles into Minseok's thigh. 

They had been silent the whole time they sat together. But it wasn't an awkward silence, it was a good kind of silence that let the two of them think without being interrrupted, something that Minseok needed terribly.

Minseok let his head rest against the wall and he closed his eyes again, focusing on the thoughts that ran through his mind. It was when Luhan moved his hand from Minseok's thigh that his eyes opened. He watched as Luhan took his hand and intertwined their fingers together and when he looked at Luhan's face he noticed that he had his eyes shut, his head resting against the wall, and a small smile on his lips.Minseok relaxed again when Luhan began to rub soothing circles into his hand.

Maybe an hour later they stood up from the cement floor and started to head back to the room that they were assigned to. Their hands were still intertwined as they walked but as the once distant voices grew louder, they seperated their hands. It seemed like they were one of the first few people to actually get back into the room but Minseok didn't mind it, there was more room for him and Luhan. 

The two boys found some chairs in the corner of the room that were unoccupied and sat in them. It was the first time they actually got to sit in a peice of furniture ever since they've been captured and they both concluded that it was a lot more corfortable than the floor.

-----

Minseok and Luhan sat together on the floor in the morning because they decided to give their chairs to some little children so that they didn't have to sit on the floor instead. Minseok and Luhan were the firsts to leave the room and they sat together in a hallway. They were pretty sure they were lost and wouldn't be able to find their way back to the room. And they thought that they would be left alone but it turned out that that wasn't the case.

A boy was running down the hallway and he stopped when he got to Minseok and Luhan. They both looked at each other before looking at the boy. Minseok could see that he also had a number on his right arm but the boy was at too much of an angle so Minseok couldn't make out the numbers. 

"W-what am I doing here…?"

"We don't even know what we're doing here." Luhan says and the boy sits on the opposite wall in front of them. "Who are you?" Luhan asks and the boy goes to look at his number but Luhan stops him. "No, what's your name?"

"Oh, um, my name is Jongdae. But… I thought we weren't supposed to share our names with anyone anymore?" 

"We aren't.. but it's weird calling people by their numbers. Hi Jongdae, I'm Minseok and this is Luhan." Minseok says and he can actually see Jongdae's number on his shoulder, 214378. Strange, Minseok thinks because it's the first person with 6 numbers that he has seen. Minseok doesn't know if it means anything, so he only ignores it.

"Can you guys… help me?" Jongdae asks.

"With what?"

"With helping me get out of here."

"Only on one condition, we get out too." Minseok says and he smiles when he sees Jongdae's face light up with a smile.

"What room are you in?" Luhan asks as they stand up. They'd have to go to the roll call soon and they didn't want to be late. Who knows what would happen if someone was late.

"Two." Jongdae says and Luhan sighs.

"Do you happen to know, if by any chance, Subject 19802 or Tao?" 

Jongdae shakes his head and Minseok can tell that he feels bad. 

While they were walking, Minseok was in between Luhan and Jongdae, Minseok studied Jongdae's face. He noticed a little cut right under Jongdae's eye, on his cheekbone. Minseok wondered what happened, but he wasn't going to ask. It wasn't his business. 

Luhan can tell when they are almost to the hallway that held the three seperate rooms because the volume of the talking increases. It wasn't really talking either, it was whispers. Minseok hoped that they weren't they last ones to get to the hallway because it would be awkward, having everyone look at them. Minseok decided that it wouldn't matter though.

They got there just on time as the people in white began to take them away to the roll call. Minseok needed to find a name for the people in white, or he had to find out what their names were if they already had one.