Two

Subject 51108

Minseok found himself in another corner of another room with more dried streaks of tears staining his cheeks. He expected to wake up and feel the boy laying on him but the spot next to Minseok was cold and empty. He didn't like it. Even though it had only been a day since he's been there, he got used to having someone sit by him. It made him feel less lonely. He wondered what the boy was doing as he brought his knees up to his chest stared at his feet.

 

Minseok barely even noticed when someone actually sat down next to him. “Aren't you the one who woke everybody up last night?”

 

"Guess so…" Minseok muttered, trying to keep his eyes from welling with tears.

 

When Minseok finally looked at the person, he noticed that he was bigger than the other boy he met. He looked more like Minseok's age. Minseok yawned as he turned his attention back to staring at his feet. 

 

"….What happened.. last night?" The person hesitantly asked. Minseok simply shook his head, not wanting to answer the question. 

 

"Please?" Minseok shook his head again.

 

When the person finally got that Minseok wouldn't tell him what happened anytime soon, the person was quiet and didn't say a word. But the longer it was silent between the two, the more awkward it became.

 

"What's your number?" Minseok asked, looking at the person.

 

"89650..."  the person furrowed his eyebrows as he turned his head to meet Minseok's eyes."What number are you?"

 

"51108…" Minseok hated the fact that he had this stupid little number that meant nothing to him.

 

Again, the two of them fell into silence. And Minseok never liked it being quiet when someone was sitting next to him. "Why did they have to put me in this room?"

 

"…Because someone had the Strike and they died.."

 

"I thought that's why they were supposed to check to make sure you didn't have it." Minseok said.

 

"They were supposed to check everyone that's coming in but I guess they didn't…"

 

"Why wouldn't they?" Minseok asked.

 

"Because they have so many people coming in… I guess they were too busy to even think about it…." He looked sad as he told Minseok.

 

Before Minseok could reply, the door was opened and everybody was ordered to leave the room. When Minseok left the room, along with the boy, he saw that everybody else was already waiting. It seemed like they were the last room that was full of people.

 

Once everybody was out of the room, the people in white led everybody to the outside of the building and of course it was fenced off so that nobody would try to escape. Minseok was confused on what he was supposed to do. People were beginging to form three sperate lines. Minseok guessed it was ordered by what room you were in. So he just followed some of the people that were in the same room as Minseok.

 

"Subject 89076." A person in white called.

 

A smaller girl walked forward. She was pale and terribly skinny. Minseok felt bad for her.

 

"Subject 10923."

 

An elder man walked forward and Minseok looked down at his feet.

 

"Subject 19802." Minseok looked up at the number, it sounded familiar…

 

"Subject 19802." The person in white said again when nobody stepped forward.

 

Minseok looked around to see who wasn't stepping out. "Subject 19802." The person said again.

 

A boy with black hair was shoved to step forward by someone he was standing next to. Minseok felt his heart drop. It was the boy he used to be with when he was in the other room. The boy Minseok felt like he could actually trust.

 

"Subject 51108." Minseok was paying attention to the black haired boy and didn't notice that his number was called. He sadly looked down at his feet again and the boy that was sitting with Minseok in the new room noticed.

 

"Subject 51108." A shade of pink tinted Minseok's cheeks as he slowly stepped forward, keeping his head down. Once he stepped back, Minseok didn't look back up again. Instead he waited for the roll call to end.

 

~~

 

Minseok sat in the same corner of the same room with the same person sitting by him. He had his head buried in his knees. He couldn't forget the sight of seeing the younger boy being shoved out of the line, almost losing his balance and falling to his knees. 

 

"Do you know 19802?"

 

Minseok slightly shook his head as he lifted it from his knees. "He was my….. friend…." 

 

The person nodded his head and didn't say anything or a few minutes. "…. I used to know him too…"

 

"How?" Minseok asked.

 

"Because I used to be in the same room as him, until I got put in here just like you. I thought they were just taking me out for a minute… but when they put me in this room and shut the door, I realized I wouldn't be with him again." Minseok noticed his eyes were beginging to water as he told Minseok his story.

 

Minseok stayed quiet and didn't say anything. He didn't know what to say.

 

"Is that why you were screaming last night?"

 

Minseok nodded his head. "We were trying to go to sleep and I let him rest his head on me." Minseok smiled at the memory but the smile didn't stay for long. "When the door opened, I didn't really care about what was happening…… until people started trying to pull me away from him. I began screaming and so did he. But when I looked at him, he was crying and screaming for me. I felt like that was the last time I would ever see him again…" Minseok didn't notice that his eyes were swelling with tears until one ran down his cheek and slipped off his chin, soaking into his shirt.

 

Minseok wiped away his tears, telling himself that he would not cry. He never noticed but the person was looking at him, his eyes scanning Minseok's face, trying to figure something out about him.

 

When Minseok looked up at the person and saw that he was looking at him, Minseok instintly looked away.

 

"Who… were you?" The person hesitantly asked.

 

Minseok looked at the person and tilted his head to the side a bit. "… Minseok…"

 

"I'm Luhan."