Chapter 1

Electric Heart

 

CHAPTER 1

 

                     Minho looked down at the ground. The Sun was shining in its almighty glory and the heat was almost unbearable. The nurse was nowhere to be seen and all he wanted right now was to go back to his cool hospital room.

                     Sitting in his wheelchair, he watched as other kids and children ran around the playground in front of him. Sweat was dripping down their neck, but they didn’t seem to mind. It was, after all, a reward by itself to be able to run around and play.

                     Some parents are sitting at the side, keeping an eye on their children. A man was whispering something into his wife’s ear, pointing to a child on the playground. Their child, probably. The wife was wearing the hospital’s patient gown. She looked happy, even though she was pale and had her hair wrapped up in a hat. Her body looked weak and fragile. From Minho’s experience of observing hospital patients, she probably had some kind of cancer.

                     I wonder if I’ll ever have a family? If I’ll ever meet someone who will love me, no matter what I am? Minho silently wondered. Suddenly he heard a voice behind him.

                     “Minho? Oh I’m so sorry. There was an emergency just down the garden path and I rushed to help without telling you. Poor old man had a heart attack. Don’t think he’s going to survive it this time. I think you knew him. Mr. Lee? Yeah, I think that’s his name. The one in the hospital room down the hallway to yours?” The nurse came back and started to wheel Minho back into the hospital.

                     “It’s okay, noona. It’s nice to be out here in the garden once in a while. Today’s weather is very hot, though. Are you sure it’s Mr. Lee? I just talked to him yesterday and he seemed just fine!” Minho answered.

                     “Yeah. I’m quite sure of it now. It’s Mr. Lee.” The nurse finally answered after thinking for a while.

                     “Oh. Well. Okay.” Minho didn’t know what else to say. Growing up in the hospital, he has seen many people come and go. He liked to listen to their stories while they were still here, though. Every story is interesting. He thought back to the times when he would sit next to Mr. Lee and listen to his stories about his travels.

                     Mr. Lee had been to many places. It wasn’t the places that attracted Minho to Mr. Lee’s story, though. It was the way Mr. Lee told his stories. His experiences, his thoughts. His favorite story was the one where Mr. Lee met his now deceased wife when he was on a trip to Paris.

                     Minho arrived at his hospital room and found himself worn out, although it was still day time. He fell asleep with the evening sunlight still streaming in through the windows.

                     Minho woke up the next day to find the morning sunlight streaming through his windows. He sighed. I guess it’s just another day. What’s worth living for?

                     The nurse walked in with his breakfast. “Oh, hey. You’re awake. Mr. Lee passed away yesterday night. He left you a box, though. Here it is.” She set down Minho’s breakfast on the table and handed him the box.

                     Minho gently opened the box after the nurse left his hospital room. The box was worn with age and memories. The letters that were carved into the top of the box had faded. His fingers slowly pulled open the latch and pushed back the top of the box. He smiled sadly after seeing what was inside.

                     There were souvenirs from Mr. Lee’s travels all over the world. Minho remembered the stories Mr. Lee told him, he remembered what the story behind every precious object was. Mr. Lee had no children. In a way, Minho was Mr. Lee’s son in Mr. Lee’s last days. There were a few letters in the box. They were letters to and from Mr. Lee’s wife, the papers brown and yellow with time. Only one letter stood out, Minho could see that it was new.

                     He opened the letter and saw that it was addressed to him.

Dear Minho,

                     Thank you for listening to my stories that nobody else ever took the time to listen to. Thank you for everything.

                     I guess when you’re reading this letter, I would already be gone. Don’t worry, though. I’m going to heaven to meet my wife. I wrote this letter when I could feel that my end is near. It’s just a short letter, but it’s none-the-less from my heart to you.

                     I’ve seen how you always look out the window with that longing in your eyes. I see how sometimes, you wonder why you were given an electric heart to live with. Sometimes, you want to die. Let me tell you this, though. If it is your time to go, you will know. Until then, don’t think about death.

                     I know you might not be able to run around like the other kids. Walking is already difficult for you. I remember you asking me, how are you going to love when all you have is an electric heart? Well, you have more than an electric heart.

                     I’ve been around the world and met many people. Among those people, you are one of the most big-hearted, kind-hearted, soft-hearted people. You don’t need a heart to love. You just need faith.

                     Someday, you’ll see. Someday, you’ll meet someone who will love you for who you are. Someday, you’ll come and visit me in heaven.

                     But until that day comes, you’ve still got a life to live.

                                  Love,

Mr. Lee.

 

                     Tears rolled down Minho’s cheeks as he finished reading the letter. He folded it and kept it in the box. He thought about what Mr. Lee told him in that letter. How was he to love, if he wasn’t capable of giving the person he loves happiness?

 

Author's note :

-If you guys didn't get it, the underlined part is the letter, the italic part is the person's thoughts.

-This chapter is kinda boring and short, I know :\ bear with me, will ya?

-This is just the intro and I'll get to writing the next chapter as soon as I can (:

-I'll update as often as I can (: Sorry if I made you guys wait!