Chapter Three

A Scrapbook Full Of Short Stories

 

 
I sat with Seyeon, studying. If I could choose to be with anyone else right now, then I would. Jinyoung kept staring over,
but I never looked at him. Yesterday's events still played on my mind. What does the devil want with me?
Why me? I'm not like them. Jinyoung my hair softly until I settled. "You see, we're dangerous. We could hurt
you without intending to. I'm not supposed to tell a human this, but-"
I pulled away from him in alarm. "H-h-human? You're not human?" I panicked. Jinyoung shooed the others away so that
me and him could be alone. "Soeun, don't be scared. We have much more control now, I promise." I closed my eyes,
tears spilling out. "We're half-demons. Me and my brothers are the sons of the devil. But don't let that fool you into thinking
we're bad people." I whimpered and hid in my bed, the covers pulled all around me. He sat on the bed, reaching out to me.
"Don't touch me!" I spat, catching him off guard. Eventually, he left. I shivered although I wasn't cold, and it was then I suddenly
realised. That's why they're so warm, because they're half-demons. They're monsters. Maybe I should have stayed away from them.
Seyeon put her pencil down, resting her head on her hands and looked at me. "Where's lover boy?" I clenched my fist.
"That boy," I hissed. "Is not my lover boy, or anyone else's for that matter." Seyeon smirked.
"Is it because he told you about his exes? I heard he's still trying to hook back up with his first." The thought of him doing that
stung, but I didn't respond to her. "Did you seriously think he likes you? He's using you to make her come back to him, don't you know?"
That stung just as much. "You know what, Seyeon?" I erased the mental images.
"You're just like an atom." Seyeon stared at me in confusion. I stood up, collecting my things together.
"You make up everything."
 
I sat with Narae, Boa, Juhyun and Bohyung, hanging out at lunchtime as we always used to.
Narae cleared . "We heard about what happened with Jinyoung." She spoke hesitantly.
"Don't hate him, he cares about you. We all do." I lifted my head to look at them.
"We? What do you mean? Is there something I'm missing here?"
Everyone looked down at their lunch. "We're half-demons too." Boa admitted, glancing at me.
I shook my head, backing away. "We're not monsters, we're here to protect you." I stumbled, falling on my behind. I stood up
and brushed the dirt off, wanting to run far away. I ran. I didn't know where I was going but I didn't care. I stopped when I
saw Jinyoung talking to Hala. I remembered what Seyeon told me. He's still trying to hook up with his first. He didn't tell me Hala
was his ex. Jinyoung must've sensed me coming with his spidey senses because he looked over at me. He slowly walked
towards me. "Soeun." His voice was firm. "Go. Don't hang around me anymore. Just leave us alone." He sounded bitter but sad.
My hair blew around in the wind. "I know. I know everything." My voice trembled. I was starting to believe Seyeon.
"I'm just not the girl you want." Jinyoung grasped my wrist. I jumped in surprise.
"Seyeon said something to you, didn't she?" He lingered. "M-my ex? Soeun, I don't give a flying-"
"Jinyoung," Hala warned, shaking her finger at him like he was a child.
"Pig. I don't give a flying pig about my ex." My jaw opened in shock.
 
"Then what business do you have with Hala?" My voice got louder. Hala mumbled something. She looked at me and repeated it.
"She's a psycho. She knows that you and Jinyoung have grown a little too close for her liking and now she's coming after you."
I looked to Jinyoung, who nodded in defeat. "Is this why you-?"
"Told you to stay away? Yes." He replied honestly. I bit my lip.
"Why? Why not let her kill me? I'm not afraid. I'm probably not going to get better at maths anyway."
Jinyoung looked at Hala, who left us alone. "Don't," he growled. "Ever think that I would let her do that to you."
He pulled on my hand harshly and dragged me to our art class. "What are you doing?"
Jinyoung looked at my painting, a smile creeping onto his face. "She's beautiful. I guess that's why she's the goddess
of love, isn't it?" When I didn't reply, he moved to another painting.
"But she's not the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. This is the true Venus, my Venus." He turned the painting around.
I was stunned. Her long black hair blew gently in the breeze, her lips were rosy pink and a blush was present on her cheeks.
He eyes seemed to sparkle like two little gemstones in the sockets.
"Who is it?" I asked curiously. Jinyoung took my hand, leading me over to his painting.
 
"It's you, Soeun. The woman who sets my heart on fire. It's you."
I smiled faintly. "You're a half-demon. Your heart must be on fire anyway."
Jinyoung smiled. "You're another species of your own, Soeun."
A blush crept onto my cheeks. "I'm not human, am I?" I asked quietly.
Jinyoung shook his head, moving closer to me. He tucked hair behind my ear.
"No." He whispered in my ear. His breath tickled. I looked at him now.
"Then what am I?" I had always found him handsome, but now he seemed perfect as ever.
Jinyoung ran his index finger along my jawline. "An extraordinary human."
I rested my head on his shoulder. "Who knew a half-demon could be so cheesy?" I joked.
"Yah." He pulled me flush against him. "I can be as cheesy as I like."
"It doesn't suit you." I teased, letting out a small laugh. "If you show your ex that you've moved on from her, will she accept that?"
I asked curiously. Jinyoung's aura darkened. "No. There's a prophecy. One of the devil's sons are destined to fall in love with
a human and wipe out every enemy in the underworld." He mumbled, rubbing circles with his thumb on my shoulder.
 
"Enemy? What's that supposed to mean?" I gasped, thinking of my friends.
"As crazy as it sounds," he laughed. "There are good demons and bad demons.
Then some who were bad but turned to light. Love makes some demons powerless, but for some it only makes them stronger."
I pondered to myself, staying quiet for a few moments. "What happened when you fell in love with your first?"
I asked, wanting him to say he felt nothing. "It was wonderful. I only ever wanted to be around her. Every time I saw her I was
in awe of her. She was truly the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen." Maybe there is some truth in Seyeon's words. "But-"
he looked at me. "She tossed me aside and called me a boy. She was a pure demon, and she didn't want to filthy her hands
with a half-demon. She wanted the real deal. That's why she married my uncle. He was a powerful demon that hated me
and my brothers. Said we were spoilt blood." Jinyoung sighed. "I had another brother, too. His name was Kyungseok.
My uncle literally ripped him apart. He was the eldest, and my uncle would've ripped us apart too, if it wasn't for Kyungseok."
 
Jinyoung had become weaker since then. He had been absent from school for a week and I was starting to seriously worry
about him. "Don't worry." Boa comforted me. "He's fine, I can read his mind." I stepped back a little in surprise.
I wasn't mad anymore. They had told me honestly that they were all Jinyoung's other four exes. I was a little shocked at first,
but I had accepted it. Me and my friends met up with Jinyoung's brothers. I smiled at them all. "Soeun! It's so good to see
you again!" Jinri hugged me tightly. Jia patted my shoulder, mouthing "welcome back". It was nice to catch up with them all
after a long time away from them. I had grown close the younger ones, since they were still kids, uncorrupted by hate
unlike many other half-demons. Out of the blue, my phone rang. My face lit up at the sight of Jinyoung's name. "Hello?" I called out.
"Hi?" He replied, a little awkward. "Soeun-ah," I waited. There was a long pause of awkward silence.
“I love you.” I stayed silent, my heart thumping violently in my chest. I cleared my throat.
My head felt dizzy and I trembled from nervousness.
I’m acting like such a girly girl, I thought to myself. “What did you say?” I asked, smiling like a fool.
Jinyoung sighed. “Don’t make me say it again,” he mumbled, complaining.
I laughed to myself. “Say it again.” I bit my lip, wishing my heart would quieten.
“No.” he responded, his voice unwavering. I pouted, although he couldn’t see.
“Jinyoung-ah, say it again.” I pleaded, hoping that my aegyo would work on him.
He didn’t reply, but I could hear his heavy breathing. “I’m hanging up now,” he told me, before hanging up.
I continued to smile, in a daze.
 
There was only one person who had been paying attention to me. That was Jackson.
He moved closer. "Hi Soeun-ah." He smiled. "Who was that?" He asked, grinning.
"Jinyoung." My voice was shaky. Jackson raised an eyebrow. My cheeks heated.
"What did he want to say to you?" Jackson asked, nudging me.
"Oh, just asking if we had any homework." I avoided Jackson's eyes.
"No he didn't. Tell me Soeun." He poked my side, grinning to himself like a fool.
"Fine." I crossed my arms over my chest. "He told me he loves me."
Jackson sniffled. I turned to him to see if he was okay. "I'm going to be an uncle! Hello there sister-in-law!" He exclaimed.
That caught everyone's attention. Everyone, including an uninvited guest.
"Oh do please carry on the party." A woman spoke, crossing her arms over her chest.
I peaked over Jackson's shoulder to see her. I gulped. She really was beautiful.
Her wavy brown hair hung down to her shoulders and she had elegant curves.
Needless to say, I was envious. "Where is Gong Soeun?" She called out, pacing around us all. I gasped out loud.
Her eyes shot in my direction. I hid behind Jackson. Jaebum stood beside Jackson, holding my hand behind his back.
I saw the way Yujin glared in my direction. I kept my head down. "Soeun, what are we going to do with you?
You should know that you can't take my man, no one can." She sashayed towards Jackson and Jaebum. Mark,
Yugyeom and Youngjae joined them. Kunpimook, however, stayed by my side quietly.
 
The woman stared at the half-demons in front of me. "Oh you lot are no fun!" She stomped her foot.
Then, she caught my eye. "I will be back for you, sweetie. You can hide but you can't run!"
Her battered wings unravelled, sky-rocketing her into the air.
"After what she did, she has no right to call him her man." I hissed, clenching my fists tightly.
Jackson knelt on the floor, his hands palm down against the grass. He suddenly roared, like he was in pain. Hala knelt by his
side, whispering to him soothingly. I stared on, not really understanding. Yujin glared at me. "It's your fault he's like this."
Her shoulder bumped mine as she passed by me. I sighed. "He remembers. He remembers the night Kyungseok-" Hala
paused and looked at me. Jia patted my back. "The night Kyungseok saved them all. But he couldn't fully protect
Jackson and Jinyoung." I gasped. I hadn't given them chance to explain.
 
But now here I was, standing in front of Jinyoung's house, fussing over my clothes, making sure they were tidy. I rang the
doorbell, taking a deep breath. Jinyoung appeared at the doorway. My eyes couldn't keep off of him. His hair was messy
and damp, while his skin was milky and smooth. I stepped inside. "Did you just have a shower?" I asked, his scent filling my nostrils.
He hummed and stood at the bottom of the stairs. "Come on," he gestured for me to follow him. I had no idea why he wanted
to take me upstairs but I followed. "I saw your girlfriend today." I blurted out. His head snapped in my direction.
"Ex. Did she hurt you?" I shook my head. "Did she hurt anyone else?" I shook my head again.
He sighed in relief.
I narrowed my eyes. "Jinyoung-ah? What happened to you and Jackson the night that Kyungseok saved you?" I asked curiously.
Jinyoung shook his head. "I don't want to go there." I turned away from him. Jinyoung talked to me again but I didn't respond.
After a while, he sighed. "Fine, I'll tell you. Me and Jackson were hiding because the alarm had gone off. We had an alarm to
tell us when uncle was here so we could all hide away. Anyway, while we were hiding, Jackson had a cramp and accidentally
cursed out loud. Uncle heard and he came after us. He wanted to destroy us since we were the newest of the devil's sons that
he knew of back then. He slashed open Jackson's side, so I tackled him to the ground. While Jackson was slowly bleeding away,
uncle got up and pinned me down. And then he tried to rip my heart out." Jinyoung ed his shirt, leaving it on the floor.
I could see a pink scar across where his heart is. I reached out to touch it. If I could, if heal it.
"I can heal with my mind, but this was the best I could do with the wound he left me." I felt sorry for him, and sorry for Jackson too.
What if his uncle ripped me apart, too?

I kissed his jaw softly, comforting him. "Let's get some rest, shall we?" I suggested. He lay down.
He whimpered a few times, and I watched him as he kicked at the covers. I his bare arms slowly, trying anything to
calm him down. Things felt different now; it was like he was another person, but I still felt the same butterflies whenever
I saw his face. It felt completely strange to be this close to a boy, let alone the most handsome half-demon I knew of.
Not that I knew many. I looked over at him again, and by now he’d already fallen asleep and was dreaming.
I stared at the tattoo that covered half of the back of his shoulders. I ran my finger gently over the Chinese symbols,
wishing I’d have paid more attention in Hanja classes. I already knew half of the phrase, and I was dying to know more,
but I didn’t dare wake Jinyoung up to find out what it meant.
 
I arrived back at my house, throwing myself down on the sofa next to Sowon. Sowon raised her eyebrow, continuing to
munch away on a box of kanchyo biscuits. She tossed one into the air and caught it in , grinning at me.
She nudged my side with her elbow. “So where were you? I tried finding you after school but you weren’t there.”
I sighed, thinking of Jinyoung. “I was at a friend’s house.” I shrugged it off. It was nothing, right? I was being a good friend.
“Ooh,” she teased. “Was it… a BOY?!” she exclaimed, laughing to herself.
What a crazy girl. “What difference does it make if it was or not?” I crossed my arms.
“You were at a boy’s house?!” my mother gasped, sitting next to me.
Her face changed to a stern expression. “I hope I taught you well enough young lady not to-”
“Mum.” I interrupted, stealing one of my sister’s biscuits. Sowon pouted.
“Soeun…” my mother sighed. “Did you at least use protection?” she rested her hand on top of mine.
“No mum!” I jumped back, shocked. Her eyes widened and she stood up.
“You didn’t use protection? Don’t you know you’re too young for children?”
My cheeks heated up. “Mum,” I groaned. “We didn’t-oh my god no!” my hand flew to my mouth.
Sowon laughed. “You didn’t do any baby making?” I shook my head.
My mother sighed, going back to cleaning the kitchen. My father let out a hearty laugh.
Would my family accept Jinyoung if they met him for real?
Ah, I sound like his girlfriend.
Am I?