Chapter Three

A Scrapbook Full Of Short Stories

 

 
 
What is right to be done cannot be done too soon.
-  Jane Austen
 
I sat with T on his bed, eating breakfast with him. From time to time, he would stop and tell me about the other members.
“Kevin is like our unofficial co-leader. He helps Lee Hoo out a lot in controlling the kids. Poor leader. Kwang, now he’s
the most honest. He can be as loud as the kids sometimes, especially when the youngest challenges him. His right
hand man is Siwan, though sometimes Siwan acts more like his carer since Kwang is so daft. Siwan also is the one to
comfort him after he has a nightmare. Siwan never talks about it, but he did mention something about Kwang having a
little sister once. I asked him about her and he told me to drop it.” T played with his fingers. “Kwang doesn’t like to talk
about this but the real reason behind his plastic surgery is that he had an accident. Something to do with a man who
knew his sister. I don’t know the full story.” I picked at my food; now seeing that perhaps the reason Kwang accepted
me so fast is because when he looks at me, he thinks of his sister. His little sister he never knew. And now he doesn’t
get to see girls a lot, my presence has probably hit a nerve. “Siwan is the clever one. That’s it.”
T laughed to himself, looking over at me. “I wanted to be a bodyguard when I was young. I suppose now I am.
We’re like undercover police, except we deal with assassins and rival gangs. I have a black belt in Aikido, did you
know that?” I shook my head. “But I guess I’m too kind to hurt anybody.”
“In missions I help evacuate the innocents as we call them, the people who aren’t involved.”
T zoned out for a few moments, before turning to me again. “I used to live with my big sister. She practically
raised me after my parents died.” He spoke the last part quieter. My heart sank hearing how vulnerable he looked then.
His gaze was on the floor and his lip was trembling slightly. “If I can, I want to move their graves next to each other.”
 
I thought of my family, and then my real family. I wondered if my real parents were still alive, or if they too were
dead. “Prince is the spoiled one.” T broke the silence. “His mother used to do everything for him as a child, so when
he moved here it took time for him to settle. Prince annoys Hasun a lot because he doesn’t tidy up, and Hasun
always nags him to tidy up. DJ is obsessed with working out these days. He can be a little trickster sometimes and
then other times he’s very mature. I admit he can be a show off too, especially when he sees girls.”
I raised an eyebrow. “Since he’s very athletic he has the best abs among us, and he knows it.”
I hugged my knees and leaned my head on them. “And what about Chul? You didn’t talk about him.”
T sighed, shaking his head. “Chul. He is a cheeky little thing. As you can tell he isn’t good at showing emotions or
opening up to people. He is a really caring person though,” I scoffed. As if.
“No, he is. He loves cats and he always talks about wanting kids in the future. He’s a softy.”
I smiled in amusement, trying to imagine Chul playing with a cat. “Believe me, he is. He’ll get used to you eventually;
just give the boy some time to open up to you.” T ate the last of his food.
“He’s right. Chul has barely opened up to us yet, so don’t feel burdened.” I looked up to see Kevin leaning against
the doorway. He sat on the other side of me and slung his arm around my shoulders.
I froze, feeling awkward. “She doesn’t like to be touched.” Kevin apologised and moved his arm.
“Anyway, how long have you been standing there?” I asked Kevin in a sleepy tone.
I rubbed my eyes, yawning. “Long enough to hear you two talk about the younger members.”
Kevin’s expression changed to a curious one. “I’ve often wondered about your family, Li.”
I turned away from him, not wanting to reply. “What do you remember of your mother?”
I shook my head. “As much as you know.” I mumbled to myself. Nothing, absolutely nothing.
 
Lee Hoo sat in his room, talking to someone on the phone. I watched over him, feeling anxious when his expression
showed pain. I was perplexed by his reaction, so I did something I wasn’t used to. I sat by his side. I hesitated for a few
seconds before leaning my head on his shoulder. He turned to me, and lifted his hand to my hair gently.
We sat like this for a few moments, the both of us comforting each other without a word being said.
Eventually, Lee Hoo hung up and turned his body to wrap his arms around me sideways. He buried his face in my hair.
I heard a sob escape his lips. I pulled away, but his strong arms kept me close.
“What?” my voice was gentler than it had ever been. “What’s the matter?”
Lee Hoo shook nervously. “Call the gang together. We have a mission to do.” He released his strong grip on me
and patted my head. Though I wasn’t fond of skinship, when I saw him upset I felt the urge to hug him. That was the motherly
part of me showing I guess. I stood in the living area in silence. He looked so sad, I wonder what’s wrong. I clapped my
hands together loudly. “Gang meeting! Leader has something to tell us all.” I called out.
All of the members, even Chul who scoffed at me gathered around. I took a seat in between Prince and Siwan.
Lee Hoo appeared a few moments later. He looked up at me, then, with tears in his eyes, he looked at Prince.
I turned to look at him. “Gather your things, we’ve got a mission.”
Everyone immediately began to gather their equipment without even asking why.
Eventually, Hasun brought it up. “Why are we doing this leader?” he asked politely.
Lee Hoo ruffled the boy’s hair and looked around at everyone. “Prince,” he whispered.
Everyone sighed, as if they knew something I didn’t. Siwan took my hand cautiously.
“Siwan,” I began, narrowing my eyes at him. “You know I don’t like-”
“Being touched? I know. I just saw that you looked confused standing there.”
 
All ten of us piled into the out van. I made sure to sit next to Prince so to ask him what the secret was.
“Prince?” I whispered. He hummed, looking at me. “What is going on?”
Prince looked over at my other side. I caught sight of Chul sitting on my other side.
“Don’t get excited, I only sat here because Kevin made me sit here.” he rolled his eyes.
Cheeky little- “My older brother is wanted by a rival gang.” Prince replied at last.
My jaw dropped. It can’t be, can it? “A rival gang? Why would they want your brother?”
Prince sighed, opening his mouth to speak. Chul interrupted. “Isn’t it obvious? It’s the easiest way they can
get to Prince, and since he’s babied by us, it will make us crumble.”
I laughed to myself and rolled my eyes, turning to Chul. “So, you can speak after all.”
“Has anyone ever told you you’re unwelcoming?” He moved his face closer. I narrowed my eyes.
“Yes, many times. So many times I’m beginning to think it’s a compliment.”
Chul laughed. “Sounds like you don’t really have many friends.” He scoffed.
I turned away from him, hanging my head low. His words stung in a way I never thought possible.
 
I ran around the playground, laughing my head off. My hair flapped in the wind and the skirt of my pale orange dress
blew about behind me. All of the other kids around me calmly climbed about.
For me, it was my first time being around other kids, and my first time playing in somewhere like this.
I stopped in front of a small boy around the same age as me. He had a cute and chubby face.
“Hey! Want to play with me?” I asked him in a friendly manner. The boy nodded his head and giggled with me.
He took my small hand in his small hand and ran with me. “Ah,” I called out in frustration.
“Don’t pull on my hand so hard.” I pouted. The boy scratched his head and mumbled an apology, patting my head.
I smiled suddenly. “Guess what? My daddy is a superhero!” I whispered to him, cupping my hand to his ear.
“He’s in a very special gang and they protect me from all the big baddies!” I boasted, clapping my hands together.
I heard Jongsoo calling me from afar. I waved goodbye to the boy and skipped up to my dad.
“Daddy! I told my friend that you’re a special superhero!” I told him excitedly, hugging his legs.
He roughly took my hand and dragged me away. “Are you stupid? I told you not to mention that. Stupid, stupid little girl.”
He muttered under his breath. I looked back at the boy who watched on with fear in his eyes.
 
We arrived at the scene. I saw a young man on the floor being kicked in the ribs by two other men.
Prince’s expression hardened. Kevin held him back while Lee Hoo approached the men.
“Yah! What are you doing here?” he confronted them. Kwang gestured for me to hide behind him.
I shook my head at him and stayed by his side. “Kyunghee,” he warned in a low voice.
DJ stepped up beside Lee Hoo and Siwan moved after him. The men stopped beating the man on the floor and drew
closer to the three of them. The sunlight shone on the men and reflected off something shiny. A metal badge.
No, no it can’t be. Why would they? It was the badge of the dragons.
The clan of the Yoon and the Yong families once formed a league that served to protect all of the land in the country.
But it was also the same gang I had grown up around. And it wasn’t that glorious. I hoped the men wouldn’t point me
out, or else I’d be dead meat. “You know what we want. You are all skilled fighters. You can help us with our
mission. We don’t have to be hostile. Just join us, Junyoung. Join us and be free.” One of the men bargained.
Lee Hoo slapped his hand away. “Do we? How could we trust you after what you have done?”
I was completely baffled by now. “We can make you more powerful that you could ever dream of. We can guarantee
you all the money and power in the world.” Siwan shook his head. Kwang stepped forward, anger blazing in his eyes.
“You people killed my parents and forced me to live a lonely, brutal childhood in an orphanage when all of the kids
would beat me. They beat me so hard I almost died. And when I woke up, my face was unrecognisable. You stole a
perfect childhood from me and I’ll never forgive that!” he yelled. My jaw dropped. I never knew he went through that.
“And you.” he pointed to the other man. “You know where my sister is.” The man moved closer until he was in his face.
“The sister you never knew? Who knows, she could be dead by now.” He taunted. Kwang’s nostrils flared. I knew Kwang
as someone who very rarely lost his temper, so seeing him like this came as a big surprise to me.
 
The man who the men had been beating up finally spoke up. “Leave them alone. I’ll sacrifice myself; just
don’t take my little brother away.” He looked at Prince, who shook his head.
The dragons men smirked. “Aww, look. Your big brother is trying to protect you. How sweet.
I guess we should listen to him, shouldn’t we? After all, he is offering so politely.”
I stepped in front of Kwang. “Wait,” I called after them. “You've only heard his point of view.
You never asked for mine.” I furrowed my eyebrows, clenching my fists.
The men smiled in a friendly manner at me. “Do go ahead miss, entertain us.”
I laughed mockingly before moving closer. “Not-a-chance.” I smacked my foot into the nearer man’s chest,
knocking the breath out of him. The other man tutted me as if he was reprimanding me.
“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” he scolded me like I was a small child again.
The man brought up a gun, holding it level with my forehead. I refused to shake or scream.
“No!” Chul called out. I turned my head to see him running towards me, pushing my body behind his.
I pounded my fists against his back, begging for him to stop what he was doing.
All I heard next was a loud gun shot. I dropped to my knees. I can no longer do this.
Someone got hurt because of me. Someone died because of me. I felt a hand on my shoulder.
It was T. He let out a small laugh. “Chul will be absolutely fine, look.” He pointed to Chul.
Chul was sitting up with a stupid grin on his face. He bowed his head at me. “You!” I cried out accusingly.
“You jerk! I thought you had gotten yourself killed!” I smacked his head. He held his head, laughing to himself.
He patted my head affectionately. “I knew there was a heart somewhere in there.”
Chul tapped my chest with his finger. I looked down at my chest, then back up at him.
There was no warning before my hand collided with his face.
 
We sat in the car in a content silence. Everything felt strange. I felt more comfortable now.
“Everyone,” I broke the silence. “Would it be possible for me to go home?”
They all froze. “Only to get my belongings. That is if you want me to stay with you.”
Siwan smiled and cheered. The others all cheered along with him, except Chul, who was fast asleep by now.
Poor Chul, all of that running earlier has gotten to him badly. I told them all to go inside while I packed everything
on my own. DJ and Prince had offered nicely to help, but since I would need my hideout to remain a secret until
my mission was done, I refused. I sat in my hideout that had barely been used. I took out my suitcase that was
already packed since I never got time to unpack everything, and then gathered all my papers together.
I can’t take them, what if they find them by accident? I’d be well and truly screwed.
In the end I only took a laptop and a random document sealed in a brown bag.
It can’t be too important right? I mean, it would have been labelled if it was. I’ll pack it in case.
 
I searched the weaponry drawers for something I could use to capture the leader.
What has to be done, has to be done. After rummaging around for a while, I found sedatives.
Perfect, I can put the others to sleep for a while until I have captured Lee Hoo.
I took a deep breath and carried everything back to the HQ and headed straight for my room.
So I will offer kindly to make the boys a drink each, and 8 of their drinks will be contaminated with sedatives.
They should go to sleep and then I will pretend that I too am feeling sleepy.
Then I will text Lee Hoo pretending to be his mother with a new phone and tell him to come and talk to me.
That’s when I will knock him out and capture him. I will make sure he stays unconscious until someone from the
dragons gang can come and fetch him. That’s exactly what I did, or at least planned.
The ten of us sat around the living area, relaxing. I watched the others sip their drinks thirstily.
I hoped that the effects of the drug would be slow but not too prolonged.
Eventually after half an hour of talking about the day’s events, some of them started to nod off.
I poked Siwan’s cheek. Sorry I have to do this, Siwan. You’ve been good to me. I laughed.
“I think you need some sleep Siwan. You’re nodding off already.” Siwan smiled at me sleepily.
The droopy members retreated to their rooms to sleep. I wished all of them a good sleep.
Sleep well, everyone. Sleep well so I can carry out my mission, please?
 
As the last of the members got up to sleep, I yawned too, putting on my act. “I think I’d better rest too.
Night night Lee Hoo.” I planted a kiss on his cheek, but he caught my wrist.
“You can call me oppa if you wish,” he smiled friendly at me. I shook my head, laughing.
“I’m older than you, silly. You have to call me noona.” I patted his head playfully.
“Ah, never mind then noona. Good night, sweet dreams.” He waved goodnight to me.
Once in the safety in my room, I changed out of the clothes I wore all day and got into bed.
I pulled out my phone from under my pillow. Should I text him now? Will he suspect anything?
I decided to wait a few minutes first before sending a text. Hello honey, I haven’t heard from you in a little while.
If it’s not too late could you come to the restaurant? Love you. I texted.
I heard Lee Hoo’s phone bleep and him move about. I guessed he must have believed me.
I silenced my phone in case he texted back. Mum? Did dad buy you a new phone?
I smiled and replied that I had indeed bought a new phone. This has to work, or else.
I heard him leave the HQ and I decided to give him a few minute head start first.
My eye was drawn once again to the mysterious document lying on top of my drawers.
I flipped the heavy cover open and began reading. Nothing interesting to read here…
Until I stumbled across the truth.
 
I lay in my bed staring at the ceiling in disbelief.
The dragons are using me. They want ZE:A so they can make their own army. They are going to capture them
and then test on me. I am their lab rat. They will turn them into machines, and I will be the one who is about to
help them do that. No, I refuse. I can only hope the leader’s mother plays along so I don’t get caught.
I will then live life here as normal. I won’t try to plot to capture them anymore.
I will open up to them and become a better person, the person they want me to be.
No more deceiving, no more pretending. I will fight with them until the end.
I am their family now, and they are mine. My new family.
Everything was fixed.
Or so I thought.