Chapter One

A Scrapbook Full Of Short Stories
 
 
 
May 1988, some few days after Kyunghee was born, in Gyeonggi.
Fog hung in the air all around as people quietly passed each other on the street. Outside the tall brick building sat a basket
with a blanket snuggled inside it. A cry came from the basket, a desperate wail, a plea to anyone that would listen.
The air was moist and cool against the man's face. It was no normal May for the people who lived in this city.
It was a cold and bitter one, almost winter like. The man leaned over the basket, a small smile of joy spreading over
his face. He picked up the basket at once and carried the blanket back to his hideout. Another cry came from the basket as
he placed it down on the floor, peering inside. He could see a chubby cheeked, oblivious baby curled up inside.
"How could they leave such a dazzling little child out in the cold?"
 
26 years later, still in Gyeonggi.
That was just how I imagined my rescue to be like. I had trained beside these men since I grew old enough, and began
to carry out small missions with them. I was cared for, and I was fed amazing food and my bed was comfy.
I loved being a part of the gang; I loved the thrill of fighting enemies and the big rewards that came with it.
I would say I knew the rest of the gang fairly well, though I wasn't really close to any of them. I didn't speak much at all,
and I liked to have time to myself a lot. Which was why it came as no surprise to the gang when I told them I was taking
on my first big mission alone. They were all reluctant at first, as I had no one to back me up out there,
but I managed to convince them - when I simply packed my bags and said my goodbyes.
I guess I left them no choice.
 
Two weeks later I found myself on a train to Seoul. I looked at my watch; anywhere but the other people on the train.
A young man sat across me, staring at me suspiciously. I lifted my gaze briefly.
“What are you looking at?” he spat bitterly, and I scoffed, directing my gaze away from him.
He stood up, catching my attention. He towered over me, but I stayed in my seat.
The man’s ears turned red as he stared down at me. I watched him, speaking calmly. “Sit down.”
He clenched his jaw and moved closer; expecting me to back away but I stood my ground.
“Don’t tell me what to do! Who do you think you are?!” he yelled, about to grab my shoulders.
My hands flew up and took hold of his arm. I stood up, twisting his arm back so he couldn’t move it.
“Don’t cause a scene, sir, because this could get ugly if you do.” I warned him, waiting a few moments until his
anger had settled, then let go of his arm. He held his arm in pain. I sat back down.
I guess I left him no choice either.
 
I caught a taxi to the house I was staying in, although, when I said house, I really meant hut.
The walls of the hut looked like they were barely standing and the roof was barely intact.
Luckily, I had managed to convince the gang that living in a house that was abandoned would make me stick out
less, as no one would know someone was living there. I had given the taxi driver the address of a house on the
opposite side, so he wouldn’t know where I lived if ever he should be exposed as a threat, which I was sure he
wouldn’t, but when you’re in a gang, you can’t be too sure. I stood in front of the house. I opened the door,
gasping as I looked inside. All the equipment I needed was here, and there was a staircase down to the basement
where I assumed the essentials like a fridge, a bathroom and somewhere to lay out important documents would be.
I was exactly right. Everything was small and basic but if I could survive here, then I was happy. I walked towards
the basement’s sofa and sat down, taking out the envelope which held the details of my mission inside.
I took a deep breath and opened it, reading the mission.
I wished I’d told them to come along with me.
 
My mission – to capture all nine members of the rival gang; ZE:A.
 
I took a walk in a park nearby as I thought up a plan on how to go about my mission.
I shouldn’t just go in and kidnap them, should I? I would most likely end up captured by them.
I need a more stratified way of capturing them. I called Jongsoo for help. He picked up straight away.
“Jongsoo appa, I need help.” I leant against the wall of a building, making sure no one was around.
“I’m sorry Kyunghee, but I can’t help you. You made the decision to do this alone, and so you shall.”
I mentally cursed. “Look, if I didn’t need help then I wouldn’t be calling you. Please?” Jongsoo sighed and hang up.
I kicked the wall out of frustration, wondering why I suggested this.
“I’m sure you’re smart enough to know that kicking the wall isn’t a good way of dealing with anger.”
I turned to the person, trying not to draw too much attention to myself.
“I’m not angry. I’m frustrated. There’s a difference.” I leaned back against the wall again.
The boy stayed silent. I looked over at him, noticing all of the small features of his appearance.
He was tall, with a pale, youthful face. He had small ears and small eyes. He stretched out his arm to shake my
hand, and I stared at his arm muscles, surprised that such a cute face could have such toned arms.
I was about to shake his hand when he was pulled backwards by another boy.
 
I dropped my hand to my side. The other boy stared at me intensely, as if he was searching for something.
I looked over his face, too. His face was older, more mature, but still handsome. He had thicker lips than the
tall boy,  nd smaller eye bags. "Who are you and what are you doing here?"
"What is it to you?" I mumbled coldly. He folded his arms and narrowed his eyes at me. "Can't a girl take a walk
in the park on her own?" I laughed. The man was startled by my laughter.
"What do you want with Prince?" He growled, pinning my arms to the wall.
I stared at him blankly in confusion. "Who the heck is Prince? And get off me!"
I wriggled my hands free and glared at him. I hate men right now. "Prince is the boy you were checking out.
Now tell me who you are before it gets nasty." He spoke strictly.
I scoffed. "Why should I tell you who I am? Because you said so? You're not my boss." I pushed him away roughly.
He regained his balance and came towards me with anger blazing in his eyes.
I took out my gun, not even wanting to deal with him, and pressed the trigger.
The man fell to his knees. He clutched his shoulder, glaring up at me. The other boys crowded around me with murder
in their eyes. A darker skinned boy came up, cracking his knuckles.
"I'm sorry but I think I'm going to have to hit a girl, just this one time."
 
I took hold of his shoulder and twisted my body, slamming his into the wall.
The cute boy from earlier came up. He mouthed sorry to me before bringing up a gun. I reacted quickly, bringing my
leg up to knock the gun out if his hands. Only I kicked his face in the process. Blood gushed from his nose as the boys
stood by him. Before I knew it, my arms were pinned behind my back. Are these boys the members of the gang?
“I think you’ll have to come with us, miss.” I heard firmness but politeness in the boy’s words. I turned my head to tell him
to let me go when I stopped. No matter how much I wriggled about, or how much venom was in my voice, his arms were
too strong for me to fight off. I gave up, and I heard someone else mutter “Good girl.”
I guess they left me no choice.
 
An unfamiliar boy with a thin nose and big eye bags threw fresh clothes at me. I caught them and opened my mouth to
say thank you, but I paused when I saw his unimpressed expression. “Go and take a shower. You’re lucky we’re letting
you have such a luxury.” He narrowed his eyes. He turned to walk away, when I took hold of his arm.
“Wait,” he turned around to look at me, his eyes were now absent of annoyance. “I don’t know anyone’s names.
Can you tell me?” He sighed and looked down, then back up at me, before nodding slowly.
“We’ll introduce ourselves to you before dinner. Now, go and take a shower.” I sighed, retreating.
The cold shower water felt soothing on my dirty skin. I stopped to listen to the water, remembering my first birthday,
when it rained all day. I smiled at the fond memory and continued to scrub. I stepped out of the shower, feeling the cleanest I
have ever felt in my life. I pulled the top over my head, feeling the smooth fabric brush over my skin. I finished dressing myself
and stepped out of my room into the hall, following it down until I reached the already familiar living area. All nine of them
sat at the table, waiting for my arrival. I stood, not knowing where to sit. “So,” the man I shot in the shoulder began.
I looked over the blood stained bandage on his shoulder. “We have decided that you can stay with us for a while.
Remember; we’re not doing this out of kindness, but since you know about this place and this gang, we can’t let you go yet.”
I wasn’t sure if I should sigh in relief or retreat in panic.
 
I was sat in between the boy who gave me the clothes and another boy with black hair that covered his eyes, dark,
thick eyebrows and a small nose. He was as handsome as the others, but in a different way; in a mysterious and
chic way. He did not speak to me, but the thin lipped boy that sat across from me kicked my leg gently.
When I lifted my eyes to look at him, he gave me a small wave. I felt myself panic, not knowing what to do. If I wave back,
he might think that I’m his friend, or someone else might see and think I will corrupt him. After all, I know too much, and that
makes me the enemy. I diverted my eyes away from him, deciding to ignore his act of friendliness.
Instead, I spoke. “You told me you were to introduce yourselves to me, so I know who you are.”
The boy beside me laughed bitterly. I turned to him and narrowed my eyes and he shrugged, unfazed. “Alright.”
The bandaged man agreed grumpily. “I’m the leader, and I’m Lee Hoo.”
He looked around the table, seeing who wanted to speak next. The darker skinned boy spoke.
 
“I’m the eldest, Kevin.” Kevin didn’t look at me; he simply kept his eyes on the table. The boy who waved to me spoke excitedly.
“I’m T!” he held out his hand for me to shake. I stared at his hand for a few moments before his smile dropped and so did his hand.
“I’m Prince. Surely you remember my face?” the cute boy asked, bitterness filling his words.
“I’m DJ, the youngest. That’s all you need to know.” The strong armed boy told me. Another boy that I didn’t recognise spoke.
He gave me a small smile, and even though he wasn’t filled with joy, his eyes disappeared into crescents.
His and T’s reaction to me was much different to the rest. It was like they accepted my presence. “I’m Kwang.” I nodded slowly.
The boy who gave me the clothes added “I’m Siwan, no doubt the brains of the group.”
Then another boy who I did not recognise smiled faintly at me. He too had a cute, fresh face.
“My name is Hasun. I’m the third youngest.” I made a small bow to me.
I was not expecting such friendliness from him. I shifted in my seat out of awkwardness.
I turned to the only boy who had stayed quiet. He folded his arms over his chest and cleared his throat.
He cleared his throat and finally mumbled in an annoyed tone. “I’m Chul.”
I stared at him for a few moments, wondering if he’d say anything else, but when he stayed quiet,
I turned away from him. I could only hope that I could get throat dinner without upsetting them.
Can I really stay here? I think not.
 
Night came too fast. The whole building fell silent. But my mind was full of thoughts.
I sat up in my small bed. My legs hung off the mattress but it was fairly comfortable for me.
I remembered my mission and sank my shoulders. I wondered if the boys were asleep, if they would notice if I
sneaked away. I quietly slipped out of bed and crept out of my room. I stood still. When I heard snoring, I continued further.
I got to the door and wondered if there was a way I could get out quietly. I pressed my hand to the door, and to my
surprise it clicked and opened without a sound. I felt confused but dared not to waste my time working it out.
I slipped out and shut the door as silently as I could. The path felt cold under my feet, and I felt lucky that there were
street lights littered around, which allowed me to direct myself to a street I recognised from the taxi drive.
It was the road before the one my hut was on. I live right under their noses, but will they notice?
I wasted no time in running to my house, only stopping when I got inside. I collapsed on my knees.
How am I going to carry out my mission? First of all, I threw off the clothes they gave me and changed into casual clothes.
I spotted the phone that Jongsoo had gifted to me for the mission.
I picked it up and called him. “Ahh, daughter, you called. How is the mission going along?”
“Well, I encountered them today. They managed to capture me but I escaped.”
He stayed quiet. “What did I tell you? I warned you. Don’t get yourself captured!” he shouted.
“Jongsoo appa, don’t be so pessimistic. They don’t know where I am staying. They didn’t seem too
inviting anyway, though I can’t blame them. I am supposed to capture them, after all.”
“Silly girl.” He muttered coldly, hanging up. My face fell. Never had I heard him so disappointed.
Never in my life. Not even once.