Chapter Four

A Scrapbook Full Of Short Stories

 

 
 
It had to be done. There was no way around it. I shuffled around the living room, rubbing my eyes sleepily. The room was
barely visible since it was three in the morning. This was curiosity. And I was the cat. In the end it didn’t matter. I was
unable to remember the Hanja characters on his tattoo. I paused. Why is it so important? I pondered to myself. What if it’s
something to do with his ex? I bit the inside of my mouth, slumping back against the sofa. All of a sudden a breeze blew past me.
I got up abruptly, standing face to face with no other than Yujin. “Yujin?” I whispered.
She stepped forward without cracking a smile at me. “Soeun.” Yujin looked away from me, looking around
awkwardly. “Jinri was right.” I opened my mouth to speak when Yujin spoke again. “You’re the girl.” I didn’t reply.
“Are you coming along or what?” I hesitated. “Urgh, do I need to tell you? Jackson’s in trouble. And Jinyoung is shaken up.
He needs you right now.” I cleared my throat and nodded. Yujin held her hand out, looking away.
Needless to say, she felt awkward about it. I took her hand and within a few seconds, we had arrived.
Jackson knelt over in pain. Hala was comforting him and checking if he was alright. I looked around but I couldn’t find Jinyoung.
“Where is he?” I asked Sera. Sera tilted her head in confusion. “Jinyoung?”
Sera sighed. “Oh, he’s out at the moment. He’s been out for 2 hours already.”
I looked back at Yujin. She scoffed and rolled her eyes. “I told you I wasn’t done with you lot.”
We all turned to look at the invader. I took a deep breath. Jia stepped out in front of me. “Jiwon-ssi, we don’t want any trouble.
Just leave her alone. She’s only a human.” The woman laughed and pushed Jia away; leaving Jia crouched near the wall,
grasping her arm. Jinri stepped forward, but Jaebum stopped her and decided to speak to Jiwon instead.
Jaebum forcefully grabbed hold of Jiwon’s wrists, pinning them behind her back.
 
She yelped and thrashed about, but Jaebum held on. “You’re right, Jiwon. Soeun is the one. She will fall in love with
Jinyoung and they will eliminate all of the dirt from the underworld.” He spat. I stepped back. Never had I seen Jaebum
act so bitterly towards anyone. He was usually the calm one. “As much as it hurts you, you have to face the truth. Jinyoung
is no longer yours, you threw him away. For what? All you ever wanted was power, and it blew up in your face.
inyoung no longer loves you, nor does your demon ex-boyfriend.” Jiwon growled ferociously at him.
“Let me go! I should report you to your father.” She spat venomously in his face.
Jackson stumbled onto his feet. “Do it. Our father wouldn’t listen to vermin like you.”
Jiwon smirked and held her palm out towards Mark. Mark screamed in pain and dropped to his knees, clutching his chest.
Sweat dripped down his forehead. I stared on in horror. I stepped forward.
“Stop it! You want me, right? Don’t hurt him; he’s got nothing to do with this.”
Jiwon stopped, letting Mark fall back. Jia gasped and caught him, kneeling next to him.
“So you’re playing the hero, huh? Defeat the demon girl, capture Jinyoung’s heart and destroy the underworld.
Wonderful. But you might want to keep trying sweetheart; it’s never going to happen.”
She made a flicking gesture. I flung back into the wall behind me, wincing in pain.
Jiwon stepped closer and her gaze burnt into mine. I felt a blistering heat spread over me, making me gasp for air.
Jiwon’s lips curved into a smile as she turned up the heat. I cried out in pain, clutching onto the grass. It was as if my insides
were on fire. The others watched on, helpless. Yujin yelled out. “Yah! Give it up already. You should know that so long as
we’re here you can’t kill her. Just give it up. He’s never going to love you again.” Jiwon hissed and turned to her.
I panted, catching my breath. The heat faded and soon I felt normal, yet weak.
 
Jiwon charged at Yujin. Out of nowhere, a brick flung into Jiwon’s side, knocking the breath out of her. I gasped.
How did that happen? Jiwon scrambled up, holding her side. She glared at Yujin and leapt up into the air, her huge black
wings spreading out behind her back. I smiled at Yujin. Yujin’s lip trembled, and she hugged me tightly. “I’m sorry for
tricking you. I-I just didn’t like how everyone was crazy about you. I was jealous.” I her hair.
“It’s fine. I forgive you.” Yujin pressed her palm to my cheek and closed her eyes.
I was about to ask her what she was doing but I felt my head go light. My eyes snapped open.
What just happened? As I looked around, I could see everything clearer, brighter.
I stared on in wonder. “Can you see it? This is how we see everything.” It was Jinri’s voice, but didn’t move even
a little. “See? You can hear my thoughts now.” I breathed in, every single small smell bolder. I smiled widely.
“Call for Jinyoung. Try it.” Jia suggested. I closed my eyes, thinking of Jinyoung. Jinyoung, where are you?
Before I could open my eyes, I heard his voice. “What did you need me for?”
It’s him! It’s really him! I laughed. “I called you.” Yujin removed her hand from my cheek.
All the colours went duller. I was still amazed. “Yujin showed me what it’s like to be half-demon.”
Jinyoung took my head and pressed it against his chest. I felt his heart beating rapidly.
“When a half-demon falls in love, they just know. There’s no questions. This is what it feels like.”
He’s in love? Who with? Me?
Why?
 
Once again, I sat in maths with Jinyoung beside me. Seyeon flicked her hair over her shoulder and leaned closer to Jinyoung.
Jinyoung coughed. I smiled, trying not to laugh. “Oppa, could you help me with the question?” she locked eyes with me,
smirking as he leaned closer to her. “Yeah, it’s right.” He leaned away from her again, focusing on the lesson.
Seyeon beamed. “Aren’t I smart? I bet Soeun couldn’t work it out correctly, could she?” she smirked again.
Jinyoung scoffed. “It’s hardly rocket science.” Seyeon muttered ‘exactly’. “And actually, Soeun got it correct.” Seyeon gritted
her teeth at me as Jinyoung boasted, slinging his arm around my shoulder. How do you feel now, Soeun? Jinyoung is my man.
A smile made its way onto his lips. Jinyoung placed his hand on top of mine, lacing our fingers together. You’re my woman, Soeun.
I jumped a little in my seat. I can hear him! I looked over at him. He squeezed my hand.
 
It was the weekend now, and me and Jinyoung were alone at his house again. I sat with him, cuddling into his side.
His hand was pressed against my clothed waist, but I could still the heat of his hands. That was something I still wasn’t used to.
“Jinyoung-ah?” I bit my lip. “Do you ever think of your mother?” I asked curiously, tracing circles on his arm that was around me.
“All the time,” he muttered. “She was a human like you. I wonder what she looked like.”
I smiled. “I bet she was very beautiful. She produced a very handsome son.” I his cheek with my thumb.
Jinyoung looked over at me affectionately, his eyes softening. I watched as he pulled his arm away, lacing our fingers together.
“Do you love me?” He blinked in surprise. “You said… when you were on the phone. You said you loved me.”
Jinyoung pulled his hand away and walked away. Does that mean that’s a no?
I was about to follow him when I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around, coming face to face with none other than Jiwon.
I jumped in surprise. “Hello sweetheart.” She grinned. Her arm reached out to pick up a photo frame. I shot forward to stop her.
“Don’t you dare touch my stuff!” I growled at her. She pulled her arm away from me and sent me tumbling to the floor.
Her foot crashed into my ribs, knocking me flat down. I took hold of her leg. She stumbled and fell.
She reached for my ankle, but I stood up. “Let’s not fight. Let’s settle this like adults now, okay?”
Jiwon dusted off her dress and folded her wings against her back. “Okay.”
She folded her arms over her chest. “You stole my man, Gong Soeun.” She held her head high.
I scoffed, rolling my eyes. “He’s not yours anymore. You blew your chance when you got rid.”
 
Jiwon smiled. “He loves me. I know it. When he saw me, I saw the glimpse of the old him.”
“That’s funny. He said he loves me. Not you, me.” I emphasised the word ‘me’.
“Listen, Soeun. I don’t know what he’s said to you, but he’s mine. He always was and he always will be.”
She stood up, stepping closer to me. “Leave him. Leave the town if you have to.”
“Hmm, let me think about that offer for a second…” I tapped my chin with my index finger. “Well, to quote Hamlet,”
I moved over to where she was sitting. “Act three,” I moved closer still. “Scene three, line 92” I was standing behind her now.
I leant forward so that I was right by her ear. “No.” Jinyoung slipped behind me, placing his hands either side of my waist.
“Soeun-ah.” Jiwon scrunched her nose up. “I’m sorry for walking off. I’m not good at this kind of thing.”
He scratched his neck, ignoring Jiwon who was practically steaming from the ears.
His fingers gently tucked hair behind my ear. His thumb ran over my lip lightly.
“When I told you I loved you, I meant it. You and no one else. You’re my Venus, remember?” Jiwon whined like a puppy that
was wounded. Jinyoung let out a small laugh, ignoring her still. “I love you, Gong Soeun. I never thought I could fall in love
this deeply, but I have.” I smiled, glancing over at Jiwon. Jiwon backed away from us slowly. Jinyoung took my chin and turned
my head to face him. I didn’t know what to expect, but I didn’t expect that.
His kiss was soft, and his breath minty. His arms wrapped around my body protectively.
My head span around, and so did the room around me. Jinyoung loved me.
Me. Only me. A man who was impossibly perfect loved me.
 
Jinyoung’s feet landed perfectly on the dry ground. I was secured in his arms. I smiled lovingly at him and placed my feet on
the ground next to him. He took my hand. It had been a few days since underworld was stuck by a quake. The outskirts of
the underworld had been completely destroyed, but half of the cities, especially the temples and the devil’s castle had not
even been touched. I sometimes wondered how the devil was not included in those who died. Jinyoung had explained to
me that his father was neither good nor evil. He supposed that his father’s love for his sons had ignited the good half in him.
The two of us took a step towards the marble steps of the castle. The cool marble contrasted with the warm, dusty air.
Servants milled around the castle floor, carrying baskets of fruits, wools and spices. I wondered how the underworld had these
kinds of supplies. Jinyoung told me that his father could have anything he wished for. I saw his father, all human skin and
human clothes. He looked like he could live with other humans, had he not have had small horns on his head. Jinyoung’s father
sat in his throne, and at his side, his six other sons and their girlfriends. Me and Jinyoung stood before him. He finally cleared his throat.
“Jinyoung, my son. This is the human girl you have fallen in love with, correct?” Jinyoung nodded.
“Yes father, she is. Isn’t she very beautiful?” he boasted, winking at me. The devil chuckled.
“Yes, she is. She reminds me a lot of your mother. She had long black hair just like Soeun. I’m sure she would be proud of your
choice if she was still around.” Jinyoung had only just learned about his mother’s death giving birth to a baby girl.
That girl would have been his only sister. “You have picked well. Look after this woman and protect her every day for the rest of
your life, alright? And Soeun, treasure my son and make him a happy father, won’t you? I want lots of grandchildren straight away!”
my jaw dropped. Jinyoung and his father burst out laughing. “I’m joking. But I still want lots of them, understood?”
I smiled and nodded, thanking him for his blessing. Jinyoung and his brothers are my family now.