004

The Untold Confession

Today

 

Yongguk said to Jieun, “You’re still the same, Jieun. You haven’t changed one bit.”

 

Jieun looks at him and said, “Did I not change one bit? Well, that’s a good thing right?”

 

Yongguk nods once, then looks at Jieun and nods again.

 

Jieun smiles as she remembers how he used to do that in the past in high school. Their was silence once again in their conversation.

 

Jieun clears and asks, “Do you still play instruments?”

 

Yongguk stares out blankly and he looked as if he was thinking, causing Jieun to laugh.

 

Jieun laughs and said, “You definitely haven't changed.”

 

Yongguk looks at her and said, "Awesome people like me doesn't need change."

 

They both stood quiet as they quieted down to enjoy the aftermath weather of the rain, cold breeze.

 

Jieun turns to look at Yongguk, even just by looking at him brought her back to high school, back to the days where she liked him so much, she felt she would lose to world just to gain him.

 

Jieun looks away as she smiled, Yongguk then turns to look at her, noticing how she stared at him for a little while.

 

Yongguk too, just by staring at her smile brought him to the old times where she would always smile even at the worst times in high school, it felt good seeing her smile again since they left each other without smiles.

 

Jieun looks at his hands to check if he was playing any other instruments, oh? No ring?

 

Jieun looks at Yongguk, waiting for him to look at her, he turns to look at her.

 

"What is it?" asks Yongguk. Jieun gave him a small smile and asks, "How's Unnie doing?"

 

Yongguk's eyebrows moved up and answers, "She's fine."

 

Jieun then smiles and asks, "How's the child?"

 

Yongguk looks away from her and answers, "She's also fine."

 

Jieun then asks, "What's her name?"

 

Yongguk looks down at the puddles on the ground and answers, "... We named her, Jieun."

 

Jieun's eyes grew bigger as she felt her heart skip a beat, "J-Ji... Jieun?"

 

Yongguk smiled only on one side and nods.

 

Jieun didn't know whether she should feel happy or sad, but she still managed to smile at him.

 

Yongguk looks out at the streets and explains, "We named her Jieun because you're meaningful to both of us. You're important to her because you helped her with so many things when she was pregnant and until graduation. You're meaningful to me, well...."

 

Yongguk turns to look at Jieun, Jieun looks away, avoiding his gaze... "You're special."

 

Those words... Jieun didn't want to hear those words... She couldn't bear to hear those words...

 

"Jieun, you're such a kind and nice person, I hope the person who holds your heart will know how great you are. You are really amazing... He'll be considered lucky for sure." said Yongguk while looking at Jieun.

 

Jieun felt her heart almost fluttering, she didn't want these words, not now, she wanted to hear such words for a long time, but she knew it was wrong, especially coming from one of her old friend's husband.

 

Jieun looks at him, but only to notice the bus finally approaching them...

 

Jieun gather her belongings and stood up, Yongguk also stood up.

 

Jieun turns to look at him and gave him one last smile as she offers a handshake and said, "It was nice seeing you again. Farewell, again, my friend."

 

Yongguk felt his heart thumping, his heart hurting to see her go...

 

Yongguk slowly,...  slowly accepts the handshake and shook her hand and smiles at her.

 

Though both smiles were fake, they were important to each other, because they don't know when they will see each other again.

 

Just like that, Jieun enters the bus, took a seat and looks outside her window, waving at Yongguk, he waves back.

 

The bus departs,... Jieun felt her heart hurting, she thought she had forgotten about him already, but why does her heart still ache for him?

 

Yongguk, standing there, looking at the bus go, wanting to chase after it, to tell Jieun how much he's kept in all these years...


Memories - October 4th - seven years ago...

 

The whole day since Jieun got to school, she keeps wanting to see Yongguk, it was a new year, that means new classes...

 

Yes, they didn't have any classes together, so they barely saw each other.

 

Jieun walks around during gym, it was her last class, she spots the soccer players practicing, she was told Yongguk joined, so she tries to find him.

 

She couldn't find him, she made sure plenty of times, only old faces & none were Yongguk's face.

 

Jieun was on her way, going home from school, almost exiting the gate, until someone stops in front of her...

 

Jieun looks up, noticing the thickness of the neck and scans up to his face, she smiled as she recognized who it was...

 

"Yonggukkie~" she said in a higher pitched tone. Yongguk smiles and greeted her as well, "Jieunnie~"

 

Jieun smiles and asks, "Why weren't you at soccer practice?"

 

Yongguk quickly answers, "I told the coach I had to do something important."

 

Jieun's eyebrows raised as she asks, "Important?"

 

Yongguk nods his head and said, "Yes, important."  Then he looks down at her eyes, causing her to blush a bit.

 

Jieun looks in his eyes and asks, trying to distract herself from blushing, "Were you waiting for me?"

 

Yongguk quickly shook his head as his eyes were squinting.

 

Jieun lifts her head a little and asks, "Then what is it? Tell me."

 

Yongguk smiles at her and replies, "Impatient, little child."

 

Jieun's eyes grew big as she began hitting Yongguk's shoulder politely and asks, "So you do have something to tell me? Tell me!! Tell me!!"

 

Yongguk lowered his shoulder so Jieun can miss hitting him, "Stop, first!"

 

Jieun stops and puts her hands together and gave him her cheesiest smile, excited Jieun would always make a smile form on Yongguk's face.

 

Yongguk chuckles and said, "I've been thinking,..." Jieun waits as she rose her eyebrows high.

 

Yongguk then looks at Jieun in her eyes and asks, "Are you busy tomorrow night?"

 

Jieun thinks, "I'm never busy." She then pretended to search in her schedule book and then closed it.

 

"I am, but I can make time," she told Yongguk.

 

Yongguk smiles at her and said, "Dinner at 5pm tomorrow at JJANG Ramyun Noodles."

 

Jieun was surprised, she thought, "Date?" Jieun then asks, "Dinner?"

 

Yongguk nods, "Yes, Jieun, it's a date."

 

Jieun tries to hide her smile, but it came out anyway, "I'll be there."

 

Yongguk smiles along with her and said, "I need to tell you something, so please be there."

 

Jieun nods as she covers her face, "Okay."

 

Jieun walks away from him, hiding her blushing face, she knew her face was going to be really pink, she had to walk away before Yongguk sees her.

 

Yongguk then yells, "Wear something comfortable."

 

Jieun nods and walks home happily. That night Jieun had lingering questions in her mind, Was it a confession? Was he going to tell her he likes her? What could it have been?

 

The next day, which was a Saturday, Jieun woke up feeling happy, her date with Yongguk was here.

 

Jieun gets up and kept herself occuppied for the day, she couldn't stop thinking about what he had to tell her.

 

Jieun prepared to wear a long black dress that was loose enough to still compliment her curves.

 

She then puts on her shiny open toe heels. Jieun thought to herself, "Am I overdressed? We're just going out for ramyun noodles"

 

Just then, she received a text message from Yongguk saying, "Wear a dress, we're going to a fancy dinner, we're going to eat steak at Seoul's Nite. See you soon  : )"

 

Jieun goes to the restaurant, she waits until she sees Yongguk before entering, she checks her watch, wow, already 5:30pm.

 

Jieun's been waiting for 30 minutes, she then texts Yongguk, "Where are you?"

 

Yongguk didn't reply, Jieun waits some more...

 

She checks her watch, it was already almost 6pm. Jieun texts him again, "Did you stand me up on purpose? Where are you? It's cold."

 

She waits some more, and more and more... It was already 7pm. Jieun gives up, she thought she waited long enough.

 

Jieun walks home, on her way to go home, she finally receives a reply from Yongguk.

 

It read, "I'm sorry. Something urgent came up... Can we reschedule it to tomorrow at 6pm?"

 

Jieun replied simply with a "Yes. Night."

 

Jieun didn't want to talk to him right now, she was upset he texted her late & how he should've told her earlier.

 

The next day, Sunday, after Jieun went to church, she comes back home, she doesn't change clothes from church, she just waited in them.

 

Jieun decided to do her hair a bit while waiting, it was just 3pm, she had so much time to kill left.

 

Jieun then received a text from Yongguk, "We can meet at Seoul's Nite @ 5pm"

 

Jieun doesn't reply back, she then went to retouch her makeup, after ten minutes after the text, she received another one.

 

It read, "Did you get the text earlier? We're gonna meet @ 5pm @ Seoul's Nite, okay?"

 

Jieun didn't bother to reply, she continues to retouch her makeup.

 

After she finished her last on her eyeliner, she receives a phonecall, it was from Yongguk.

 

Jieun looks at the caller id, she answers, she didn't want to, she had to... "Hello?"

 

Yongguk asks, "Is everything okay? How come you're not answering my texts?"

 

Jieun replies, "Everything's fine."

 

Yongguk then asks, "Why do you sound so different? Are you sick? Did you need me to buy you medicine?"

 

Jieun quickly answers as her voice raised, "No!"

 

Yongguk and Jieun stayed on the line quiet, Yongguk finally speaks up, "I'm sorry..."

 

Jieun answers back, "Hhm?"

 

Yongguk said some more, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for making you wait yesterday."

 

Jieun stood quiet, waiting for more explainations.

 

Yongguk then said, "I'm sorry for not telling you earlier. I was wrong."

 

Jieun felt bad, he sounded very sympathetic, she was going to speak, but he kept apologizing.

 

Yongguk continues, "I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry I didn't walk you home... I'm sorry for--"

 

Jieun cuts his sentence off and said, "It's okay. I understand."

 

Yongguk then asks, "You do?"

 

Jieun answers slowly, "I... I just don't want you to keep apologizing, it's okay, it happens."

 

Yongguk then asks, "Do you really forgive me?"

 

Jieun answers, "Yes! See you soon, okay?"

 

Yongguk answers back, "Okay. See you in a bit. Bye."

 

Yongguk hangs up.

 

Jieun goes to the restaurant first, she enters the restaurant, she notices someone familiar, someone from school....

 

"Unnie?" asks Jieun as she walks pass the girl. The girl turns around, it was her...

 

"Oh, Jieunnie~?" asks the girl. Jieun smiles as she asks, "May I sit here?"

 

The girl nods as she flashes her smile back at Jieun, Jieun takes a seat.

 

"What are you doing here?" asks Jieun. The girl smiles at her and shakes her head.

 


"What are you doing here?" asks the girl. Jieun shakes her head with a smile and said, "Meeting someone."

 

The girl nods. They both sat in silence for a while... Until someone calls out...

 

"Jieunnie~?"

 

Jieun and the girl turns to look, it was Yongguk looking at the two girls sitting at the table. Yongguk slowly approaches the two, he looked hesitant.

 

Jieun calls him over and motioning him to hurry over, while the other girl looks at both of them as she smiles.

 

"Hurry!" Jieun calls to Yongguk.

 

Yongguk went over, but... He sat next to the other girl, across Jieun.

 

Jieun introduces the two to each other, the two just awkwardly smiled at each other and that was it....

 

Yongguk didn't even bother to smile at Jieun, he was seen with no smiles today, Jieun wondered if something was wrong with him.

 

Jieun clears as she spoke softly, "Are you okay?"

 

Yongguk doesn't look at her and shook his head. A little after that, they ordered some food.

 

Yongguk didn't order anything, but a salad, the girl ordered a few dishes, while Jieun only ordered one.

 

While eating, they all were quiet...

 

The girl excused herself to the restroom, Jieun then spoke up, "Yongguk, why aren't you talking?"

 

Yongguk looks up at her, no words.

 

Jieun then asks as her eyebrows lowers, "Did I ruin our date?"

 

Yongguk shook his head, no emotion.

 

Jieun then asks, "Then what's wrong?"

 

Yongguk opens his mouth finally, "Jieun...."

 

Jieun's eyebrows rose, motioning for the answer...

 

Yongguk looks away, then sniffed, then looks at her, "I actually came here to tell you something...."

 

Jieun then places her hand on Yongguk's, Yongguk removing her hand by sliding it off...

 

"Truth is...." said Yongguk, his sentence was cut off short because of the girl who came back from the restroom.

 

The girl sat down and continued eating, Jieun then asks, "Did you want to talk about it later?"

 

Yongguk didn't respond, he then starts touching his salad, he didn't even eat much of it, he only played with it.

 

At the end of dinner, they all combined money and paid for the whole meal, but Yongguk paid for most of it.

 

They walked outside of the restaurant, the girl bid them goodbye.

 

"Jieunnie~, I'm sorry I've ruin your day today," said the girl.

 

Jieun shook her head, "Don't worry about it."

 

The girl smiles and looks at Yongguk then back at Jieun and said, "Goodnight."

 

The girl leaves home. Jieun turns over to look at Yongguk, Yongguk turns around, avoiding her gaze.

 

Jieun pouts as she walks next to him, "What's wrong?"

 

Yongguk turns to look at Jieun, his heart felt weak, this whole quiet time, he was thinking... Thinking of a good way to break it to her.

 

"Jieun..." he spoke up softly. Jieun looks up at him.

 

Yongguk looks away and said, "You know you're a good friend of mine, right?"

 

Jieun nods, although she was expecting to be more...

 

"You know I'll tell you anything if something's going on, right?"

 

Jieun nods.

 

Yongguk swallows, avoiding her eyes, he looks straight and said, "One of my friend is pregnant."

 

Jieun's eyes grew big, she was surprised. "Who?"

 

Yongguk looks at her, his eyes, they weren't the same eyes, those eyes were filled with worriness.

 

Jieun asks, "Who is it, Yongguk? Tell me."

 

Yongguk swallows again and said, "Hyosung."

 

Jieun's eyes grew even bigger... "Hyosung Unnie?"

 

Yongguk nods. Jieun then asks, "For real?"

 

Yongguk nods again. Jieun then asks, "No wonder she had such a big meal with us today. What about that?"

 

Jieun looks at Yongguk, he wasn't speaking, but he seem to have a lot on his mind...

 

"What is it?" asks Jieun, feeling impatient.

 

Yongguk looks down and said, "I'm going to be the father of that child."

 

Jieun felt as if her heart stopped beating.... "F-ffather?"

 

Yongguk nods. Jieun couldn't believe it...

 

Jieun then said in a serious tone, "Lies."

 

Yongguk looks at her, "I'm serious."

 

Jieun felt her heart hurting, her heart beating, why was this happening? Did she expect too much from this date?

 

"You took me on a date, with the mother of your child that I didn't even know about?"

 

Yongguk nods slowly, Jieun felt betrayed, she couldn't believe it.

 

"Yongguk, you're going to be a father soon?" asks Jieun, trying her hardest to keep in her tears that were going to fall.

 

Yongguk looks away, nodding. Jieun also nods, looking down.

 

Yongguk, quiet as an ant, Jieun, feels like she just lost someone, she came to this date with wrong intentions...

 

Jieun managed to speak up, trying her hardest not to crack her voice,... "Congrats on being a father."

 

Jieun just walks home by herself, she actually ran home that day, Yongguk knew better not to chase after her.

 

Yongguk fell to the wall, his body weakening as he felt his heart hurting...

 

Yongguk didn't tell her the whole truth,...

 

Just then he receives a text, "Did you break it to her?"

 

Yongguk's heart huting even more, when he looked up to see Jieun running away from him, his heart felt crushed...


A/N: How was this chapter? I hope I threw more interest in, though we only have one more chapter to go. :(( But maybe in the near future, I probably will write a sequel to it, I don't know yet, but maybe... :) Anyway, last chapter will be posted next week. Stay tuned :) - adurrrh94<3