001

The Untold Confession

Today

Jieun rushes outside to catch the bus, after her meeting was over, she had to get home to pack for a business trip for work tomorrow.

 

As soon as Jieun steps outside the sliding door,... Great, it’s raining outside.

 

Jieun waits for the bus in the rest area, just then someone calls her name, the deep low voice she hasn’t heard for six years. 

 

The voice that caught her off guard, the voice the used to make her heart skip a beat, it was no wonder Jieun’s eyes grew bigger than usual.

 

Jieun looks up slowly after hearing her name being called, it was him, the guy she hasn’t seen for six years. It was really him.

 

Jieun swallows hard and forced a smile and asks, “Yongguk-ssi?”

 

Yongguk smiles while scratching as he lowers it. All the guts it took him to say her name was a lot already he thought.

 

Yongguk walks over to her slowly, with his palms sweating on the sides of him. “How are you?” he suddenly opens his mouth.

 

Jieun looks straight in the streets, the wet road, the escaping people as it’s raining a lot to avoid Yongguk's eyes and answers, “I’m as busy as the weather. You?”

 

Jieun looks at Yongguk, he looks up in the sky, so gray and dark ignoring her eyes also and replied, “I’m good.”

 

Jieun thought, wow, his words are still short but clear. Jieun nods and swallows again and asked without looking at him, “Wow, it seems the old Bang Yongguk never changed. Your words are still short.”

 

Yongguk chuckles a little and said, “I guess I didn't.”

 

Jieun chuckled also and said, “Good thing. Good people shouldn’t change. Right?” As she turns to look at him while she was smiling.

 

Yongguk smiles as he sees her smile, still the same smile he saw when they were still high school students. Her smile brought memories to when they first met, the day they first met.


Memory - First Meeting - October 15th of eight years ago … 

 

Jieun came to the music room as she met eyes with the owner of dark and round eyes.

 

Jieun swallows and asks, “Have you seen Hana?”

 

The guy shook his head as he continued to stare at her. Jieun gave him a nervous smile and said, “Thanks anyway.”

 

Jieun closed the door behind her as she walked away. Jieun bit her lips as she felt embarrassed. Jieun shook her head and hits herself softly on her head.

 

Jieun looks up and saw two teachers approaching her, but they didn’t see her, it was Mr. Lee and Ms. Kang, why were they together?

 

Jieun’s eyes grew larger and went back to the nearest room and it happened to be the music room. As Jieun entered the room and closed the door, the guy again looked at her because he was going to exit himself.

 

"What are you doing?" the guy asked her, his voice was very deep and low, Jieun was surprised by it. She met eyes with him again and whispered, "I just saw Mr. Lee and Ms. Kang out there, I’m afraid they’re going to suspend me for skipping class."

 

The guy swallowed and nodded, he too was skipping class to play instruments, at this class of the day, there were no music classes, that is why the guy comes all the time during this hour.

 

The guy backed away and looked at his watch, it was exactly 1pm, fourty-five more minutes until the bell rings for the last class. Jieun walked over to the guy, he was sitting on a desk, Jieun sat a desk away.

 

Jieun glanced over him and asked, “What’s your name?” The guy points at his nametag, Jieun read, “Bang YongGuk."

 

Her voice was so soft, Yongguk almost shivered because of the softness in her voice.

 

Jieun tilted her head to the side, she has never heard of him before, she looked at him and asked, “Are you new?”

 

Yongguk shook his head and replied, “I’ve been here since the beginning.” Yongguk glanced at her nametag, “Miss Song JiEun.”

 

Jieun’s eyebrows grew closer as she asked him, “How do you know my name?”

 

Yongguk rolled his eyes and said, “Your nametag.”  Jieun looked down at her nametag and nodded as she bit her lips. “Right.”

 

They both were quiet and alert of each other, Jieun glanced over him a few times, he never glanced at her, he was too busy thinking if he should go to class or not.

 

Jieun glanced over him and noticed he had very nice skin and his long bangs, it complimented him very well and how the earring he wore on his ears were really fitting to his style, it made her smiled.

 

Yongguk looks at his watch again, it was just 1:04pm, he sighed. “I think we both should get to class.”

 

Jieun acted as if she wasn’t already looking and answered, “What?”

 

Yongguk repeated himself. Jieun agreed and Jieun looked at her watch, it was 1:05pm, where was Hana? She was supposed to meet her in the music room, along with Yongguk, he was going to meet Himchan in the music room to show Himchan if he had enough potential to join the music program.

 

Jieun spoke some more, “I’m actually supposed to wait for my friend here.” Yongguk nodded and answered back, “Same. Let’s just go to class. They both aren’t coming anymore.”

 

Yongguk got off the desk as he took out the bathroom pass out of his pocket, Jieun remained seated.

 

Yongguk noticed that Jieun didn’t get off the desk and turned back and asked, “What are you still waiting for?”

 

Jieun looked up, they met eyes again, Jieun’s eyes were brown and well-rounded, “My friend, I told you already.”

 

Yongguk asked back, “Don’t you know if we were caught in here, we will be in trouble?”

 

Jieun nodded once. Yongguk threw his head back as he sighed, “Let’s just go to class.”

 

Jieun looked at her watch again, ignoring Yongguk, it was just 1:07pm, she took out her phone and texted Hana, “Hana, where are you? What are you doing? Why aren’t you here yet?”

 

Jieun told Yongguk, “I’ll wait just a little bit more, you can go first.”

 

Yongguk scoffed and walked to class. Jieun got a reply from Hana, “Sorry TT.TT I got caught in the hallway & had to play cool, so I’m in class again. Sorry ><” Jieun sighed and left the room to go to class.

 

Jieun opened the door and found Yongguk outside the room, along with Mr. Lee and Ms. Kang.  Jieun’s eyes opens wide and goes back inside and tried to hide in the room.

 

Jieun went to the cabinets that were by the door and hid in one of those and closed the door quickly, luckily she closed it in time before the teachers came in the room.

 

"So there isn’t anyone else, but you, huh?" asked Ms. Kang.

 

Yongguk nodded, while looking to see if Jieun hid well or she left the building, he looked everywhere in the room, no one. He saw no sign of Jieun, until he noticed she left her phone on the desk.

 

Mr. Lee went near the phone, but didn’t notice it, Yongguk walked to get the cellphone and hid it in his pocket.

 

Mr. Lee then said, “Ms. Kang, there seems to be no sign of anyone else here.”

 

Ms. Kang agreed and replied back, “Okay, let’s take Yongguk to class.”

 

They all left, Jieun opened the cabinet and went out of the room, she hurried to class after that before she got caught.

 

In Jieun’s last class, Sunhwa asked Jieun for Hana’s email address since they were doing a project in another class together, but forgot to get some of her information.

 

Jieun reached in her pocket, expecting her phone, nope, no sign of a phone there, she looked in her pocket then at Sunhwa.

 

"I think I left my phone somewhere," Jieun told Sunhwa.

 

Sunhwa gasped and said, “You mean, you lost your phone?”

 

Jieun nodded. Sunhwa asked, “Why? Hana already left, what am I going to do now?”

 

Jieun pouted and apologized, “I’m sorry.”

 

Sunhwa nodded, accepting it, “I’ll just go ask Hyosung Unnie then. Thanks anyway.”

 

Sunhwa turned to face the board, Jieun felt bad, but worried, her phone was gone. Where has she left it?

 

Jieun then recalled, she must have left it in the music room earlier. Jieun bit her lips and shook her head constantly.

 

Ms. Jung cleared as she noticed Jieun’s action and said, “Don’t break your neck now, Ms. Song, math isn’t that hard.”

 

Jieun looked up and lowered her head as she gave Ms. Jung a fake smile, embarrassed is was Jieun felt.

 

After class was over, Jieun headed over to the music room, the teacher was still there.

 

"Hi, Mr. Goo!" Jieun calls.

 

Mr. Goo turns around and smiled and replied, "Oh! Jieun-ssi! What brings you here?"

 

"Mr. Goo, did anyone by chance give you a cellphone?" asked Jieun.

 

Mr. Goo shook his head and replied, “I’m afraid not, Jieun.”

 

"Thanks anyway..." Jieun thanked him.

 

Jieun pouted and nodded and left the room and exited the building, oh no, she lost her phone, she felt terrible, her mom was going to kill her, she lost her phone again.

 

Jieun said to herself out loud, “Today’s my last day, my mom is going to kill me.”

 

Jieun looked up and saw Yongguk sitting at the bench near the school’s gate, Jieun looked away after noticing him.

 

"Don’t act like you didn’t see me. Come here," said Yongguk, his voice was huskier since he was in a rush.

 

Jieun pointed at herself, Yongguk nodded aggressively, Jieun walked over slowly.

 

"What’s the matter?" asked Jieun as she looked up at Yongguk with her big brown eyes.

 

Yongguk looked at her, he noticed her big round brown eyes again, he looked away and said, “You forgot your cellphone in the music room.”

 

Yongguk took out her phone from his pocket and said, “Here. You’re lucky I saved you. They would’ve searched if I didn’t stall them.”

 

Jieun smiled as she took her phone and exclaimed, “My phone!”

 

Jieun looked at her cellphone and rubbed it as if it was dirty and then blew on it. Yongguk rolled his eyes and said, “You’re never truly thankful.”

 

Yongguk shook his head and walked away from Jieun, Jieun called out his name, “Yongguk-ssi!!?”

 

Yongguk stopped walking and turned back to look at her, “What?”

 

Jieun flashed her big cheesy smile and waved at him with her cellphone and said, “Thank you so much for keeping me out of trouble!”

 

Yongguk nodded and turned around, her smile even captivated him, her smile was big and beautiful, he seemed to not have ever seen such a beautiful smile before. Her smile made him smile.