My day just got better

What a mess

 

Who would reject the finest guy in the whole school? And more importantly, reject him in public in front of hundreds pairs of curious eyes? That much attention wasn't what I yearned for, so I clearly didn't do that. Besides, now I had a chance to be close to Mark for this one small moment when he couldn't run away from me. He called me, me, to be his rescuer.

Although I did feel awfully nauseous when I stood up, I was also craving for more broccolis that Jackson was now happily munching alone on the other hand. But, I also had the urge just to turn around and head home to get some sleep. And I liked all the options.

Yet, the thing I had to was to go and confront Mark in this school cafeteria, where people were hanging out between and before classes. I was going to be the head of all rumors today, it seemed. I couldn't care less, though since I was so confused with all these feelings and I just wanted to concentrate on one of them at a time.

What was wrong with me? Why was I acting so oddly complicated these days? I sighed dramatically before I finally started walking towards my destiny, Mark and her girlfriend that had set her fiery eyes on me.

"Hey." I said happily with an accidental smile that sneaked to my lips. Oh, holy cheesecake.. Did I just give myself away? I wanted to do slap myself and hard, but since the most perfect guy in the world stood in front of me, I only did it mentally.

I coughed awkwardly, trying to look calm and collected while he just looked like he'd burst out laughing right there, right in front of me.

"Yes? You had something you wanted to talk about?" I asked, giving my best with my second attempt. I was more focused now since every word that slipped through my mouth could be, and totally would be, used against me.

I could feel the million daggers that Jia sent to my direction with her piercing stare, sending jitters going around my body. I gulped hard, impatiently waiting for Mark's response that could, or could not save me.

"Did you know how to solve those math calculations we got yesterday?" He asked and pointed at me, while cocking his head slightly to the left. Damn.. Did you have to be so adorable? Wait, what? Math? He wanted to talk about math with me? Like, for real?

I started to panic since I had no idea what to answer to his questions, but I knew I couldn't stay quiet for a long time or I'd make myself seem like an total idiot. I already seemed like one in my own opinion, but maybe the others still disagreed. Not for long, I was afraid. Time was ticking.

"Yeah, I guess." I answered. It seemed like my outer appearance didn't show the panic I felt inside, and I surely was glad about that. Well... I did copy my math homework from Jackson, but that doesn't change a thing, right? He still needed me.

"Great. Help me." Mark stated simply after snapping his fingers in delight. Then he flashed one of those adorable smiles that distracted me from my thoughts in those few fatal seconds he actually showed it.

I was unable to move, but he threw his arm around my shoulder and dragged me away from the crowded canteen. I only regained my thoughts and the control over my body again when we were already far away from the crowd of people and he knelt down in front of me.

He. Knelt. Down. In. Front. Of. Me.

"What are you doing?" I hissed angrily whisked my head warily around our surroundings. Who knew what the others would think about this situation if it was seen. The school's most popular guy had knelt down in front of the infamous new victim of his girlfriend, the unfortunate nerdy girl, like he was about to propose!

But sadly, that wasn't what he was aiming for. He was only begging for mercy, clearly aware of the consequences that his actions got me in. Me, the unfortunate human being. Mark crossed his fingers and looked at me with apologetic eyes.

"I'm so, so, so sorry!" He exclaimed loudly, and I was afraid someone could hear HIM pleading. "But Tiffany is such a nice girl! I didn't want anything to happen to her!" He continued.

"And I am not?" I blurted out before I could stop it, raising one of my brows questioningly.

I crossed my arms and waited silently for his answer that took long. "No... But.." He started, but he didn't know what to say.

So, I was the one he could sacrifice. The girl that meant nothing, the one no one cared about. Ah, why did I feel this burning hatred towards him now? I never hated anyone, but now I hated him for saving someone else? Jieun, get a grip! I sighed and shook my head in despair. What was wrong with me lately? I started to walk away without any bad thoughts of him, but I still heard him shouting in the distance.

"Jieun-ah! Please forgive me!" Mark yelled after me. Jieun-ah? Even though I tried hard to fight against the smile, I couldn't help it.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever!" I shouted without looking back, raising my arm in the air to show him I was okay with it, that his apology was accepted. I could hear him chuckle and I did so as well. Everything was fine and rosy all the way back, until I reached the the school ground again.

I swear everyone looked at me weirdly. Their eyes didn't hold any hatred, but they were full of pity. I didn't even wonder why, I knew the reason very well. It was like I was the Titanic that had hit the ice berg. But in this case, the ice berg had a name; Meng Jia.

"Who are you?" Her voice cut through the long, corridor, scattering everyone away. Jia had crossed her arms and her narrowed eyes stared at me dangerously, threatening me. Or, at least that was what she tried. Sorry, but I wasn't really into dramas. Her three friends, well, if you can call them friends, stood behind her.

Bae Suzy, the school's white, innocent lamb didn't obviously know what she was doing. She took her commands directly from Jia, and her only since she assured they'd be best friends forever. Suzy was pretty and a good cheerleader, but still her brain got that cute brunet in the blonde category.

I did not just say she was stupid. Well, maybe just a little, but I didn't intend to mock her in any way. Everyone around here took it as an undeniable truth, even her parents that loved her dearly. That's why they just decided to give all she wanted, except a driving license. She'd become a threat to anyone within seconds.

Beside Suzy, there was the cold and mysterious girl that liked to disappear frequently, Min. I did not know her surname, since she never really talked to anyone. Even teachers called her just by Min. Did that mean she had no surname? Was that possible?

The only thing to define her feelings was to monitor her face. Her expressions usually showed that she was so fed up with Jia's continuous drama acts that made no sense, or then she just stared at you stoically. But I guess she didn't have anything better to do, so she just tagged along and ate the popcorn while enjoying the free show.

Then there was Fei, the quiet bookworm. She didn't like attention, but somehow she still kept hanging out with Jia. That could be because she pitied Suzy that had no own mind or opinions. She did try to rescue her once in awhile, but it seemed that she was already too brainwashed to be saved. Fei still kept trying nevertheless, so little credit for that.

I really thought Suzy was pretty, Min was elegant and Fei was a mesmerizing beauty. I wouldn't mind befriending them at all. Of course Jia was pretty and y as well, but her personality... didn't quite match the outer beauty she had.

"You didn't answer." The earlier mentioned reminded me oh-so-kindly.

"Jieun. Lee Jieun." I said and offered my hand. Maybe we could remain in the peace where she didn't acknowledge me at all, where I was invisible to her eyes. I'd like that very much.

"I didn't ask your name!" Jia scoffed and rolled her eyes. What? But she just asked who I was! She started to stare at me like I would be some kind of dirty zombie trying to eat her brain. Well, lucky for her, if I would be a real zombie, I wouldn't want to rot my teeth with her skin. I think I already ate Suzy's brains though..

I almost laughed out loud to the joke I made inside of my head. But I knew if I'd laugh now, they'd probably think I was crazy. Which I wouldn't have denied in these lately circumstances. Focus, I needed to focus.

"Then.. What did you ask?" I asked Jia, curiously blinking my eyes in confusion.

"Oh my, you talked back at me?" She asked surprised, acting like she was somehow offended by my question. This time I was seriously out of it, I had no idea what she was talking about.

"Well, talking is needed for communicating, so yes, I did indeed talk to you." I said matter of factly after deciphering she must've meant the first question as some sort of an insult. I was getting tired of this weird conversation between us already.

"So rude! You better watch out! I'm keeping an eye on you!" Jia warned and pointed her finger at me.

"How rude!" I mimicked her and swat her beautifully manicured finger away. Not that I knew anything about useless stuff like that, but that must've been the point in getting one. "You shouldn't point at people, dear. It's a bad habit that should die," I told her kindly with a smile and she just marched away with an audible "Hmph!" 

Suzy walked after her, not even sparing a glance towards me, Fei patted my shoulder to give me strength and wow, Min smirked at me amused, showing that she liked my guts.

Even though this day seemed like a bad one earlier, the sun was finally peeking through the clouds.

 

I was supposed to update this yesterday, but I fell asleep! :O Can you believe it? XD hahaha and I didn't even sleep well! But, how did you like the chapter? ^^ Something seemed a bit off for me, but that could be because I read it through so many times that I'm getting sick of it :/ well, I hope you guys liked it~ Please comment & subscribe! ^^