The Fateful Result

What a mess

 

"No, for the hundredth time, Jackson, just go ahead!" I yelled in frustration, hands covering my ears from hearing any arguments. The school had ended an hour ago, with Jackson appearing to the drama class right before it ended.

He had come to suggest that we'd go to the park like usual, trying to find some four-leaved clovers that we always found in the same spot under the old willow.

If it was like any other day, I wouldn't have hesitated to answer yes. Heck, we'd go there even if we had an exam the next day. We wouldn't put up an all-nighter to study, we'd just search for those "talismans" and use the luck from them to pass the exams.

Although luck wasn't much of a factor in helping Jackson pass with flying colors, he got that installed in his brains. And much to his dismay, I had to reject his offer with the excuse of having to do my math homework well before Mr. Choi would hang me upside down from the ceiling.

But of course, the great Wang Jackson was too stubborn to let go of his opinion. He even threatened me by not offering any help if I'd get stuck with a hard exercise.

After half an hour long debate, we were both finally ready to compromise. Instead of going into the park immediately, we agreed on first doing our homework together at my place and then, perhaps, afterwards go to the park.

"Fine, fine! Just buy something good!" I heard him yell through my hand block, a bit agitated with the result, but still having nothing against it.

"Yeah yeah, I got all of it, now GO!" I yelled as I pushed him forward. My eyes followed my reluctant friend all the way until he finally disappeared from my line of sight.

With a sigh, I turned around restlessly to peek at the entrance of the convenience store from behind the corner. After making sure the path was clear, I turned around again, preparing myself for whatever that could happen inside.

I wasn't feeling enough courageous just yet, so I decided to jump up and down a few times to shake off my nerves and swatted my hands in every direction to get the blood flowing. The feeling of anxiousness never left me, no matter how much I tried to chase it away.

This was it. I was really going to do it. I was about to go in and buy myself a pregnancy test, or a couple of them, and get this over with already. I wasn't going to get a positive answer anyway, so I got nothing to worry about.

But why was I so nervous then? Was this some sort of a hunch feeling I got going on there? Quickly shrugging something as ominous as that off, I warily peeked at the empty entrance of the convenience store again. This was my chance, I didn't know for how long it would stay as empty as it was, so there was no time to waste.

I tried to force my frozen body to move forward, but before I got successful in that, I got the most brilliant idea ever. Camouflaging myself. I had to admit, I felt more than just a little tempted to disguise myself with the pair of dark sunglasses I had with me just in case, pulling up the hood of my sweater with them and sneak in like a ninja.

I seriously did not want to risk being seen, especially since I was going to buy those damn things I didn't even want to think of.

After considering all the pros I'd get by not being recognized, I decided that it was worth giving it a shot. While I was still struggling to cover my face the best I could, I suddenly felt a weird vibration coming from my pocket.

Yelping in fright, I placed my hand above my rapidly beating heart before fishing out the phone that I suddenly wished I didn't even own. That message better have something good on it, because I was ready to kill the sender if it was some trivial nonsense. It was distracting my focus from the mission.

I wasn't quite sure if I should bury the ax because it was only Jackson, or behead him with it because it was Wang freaking Jackson. Nevertheless, I could always decide that later since he reminded me why I had to hurry once again.

 

From: Jackson

I know you said you'd remember, but I know what a klutz you are. So, I decided to send you the shopping list to ensure you've got everything. First, buy chocolate (lots of it.) Then, I'd also like some chips, and one bag lasts less than a minute. Obviously we need more than that. And don't you dare to buy broccolis, saying you bought them because I wanted them!

 

Rolling my eyes behind my dark sunglasses, I tucked my hands in the sweater's pocket and walked towards the store with determination this time around.

"Welcome," was the automatic reaction of the clerk as the door's bell went off.

I smiled tightly at him as a silent response before proceeding to investigate the shelves. Where the heck were women stuff placed in small shops like these? I only visited supermarkets and not these stuffy little ones, which was the exact reason why I was there in the first place.

"You're not going to rob this place, are you Jieun?" The clerk, a young boy with a handsome face, and whose name I never remembered, suddenly asked me, making my eyes double their size.

Surprised that he could recognize me in my camouflage, I glanced around the empty store before making my way to him.

"How'd you know it was me?" I asked with a loud whisper. The clerk just smiled kindly at me, expression never changing.

"First of all, the town's too small for not being able to recognize one by the clothes, and secondly, your name tag's flashing," he told and pointed at my chest area.

I followed the direction his finger was pointing, and facepalmed myself after seeing my own name tag on my school uniform, right next to the sweater's open zipper, reminding me that covering that would've been a smart move. Right, I didn't come to think of that.

Cheeks flaring up and embarrassment crawling up my chest, I silently went to search what I came for, taking off my sunglasses, and lowering my hood to cover up for the redness of my face. The clerk had given me the impression that I looked even more suspicious in them.

"Now, where is that aisle?" I murmured to myself.

Though not knowing where everything was a big disadvantage for fast shopping, I still had the benefit of the doubt before the clerk or any other customer would be spreading rumors of me possibly being pregnant. I could get away with it if they just wouldn't say a thing to that one guy.

And I should've known better than to talk about the devil or good grace help me.

"Jieun?" the mocking- ahem- the familiar voice said behind me as I started to make my way to the women's shelf I spotted at the back. I grimaced before turning around with another set of tight smiles.

"Hi, Baekhyun," I greeted. Byun Baekhyun gave me a bright smile and immediately stood by my side.

"So, anything going around lately?" He asked in a hushed tone. And there was a great example that explained why I did not want to bump into him. Baekhyun had the biggest mouth in the town, and he certainly wasn't afraid to use it.

"No, nothing at all," I quickly replied. He looked at me dumbfounded, a bit suspicious of my quick answer. I laughed nervously and pretended to be extremely interested in reading the back of a soapbox that was the closest thing my hand could reach to avoid any further inquiries.

"So, what are you doing here?" I forced myself to ask out of politeness.

Not that I thought Baekhyun was annoying or anything, just someone you had to be cautious of. The stuff that came out of his mouth was dangerously contagious. Really, I bet there wasn't even a single rumor in our town that hadn't been fabricated by him at some point.

Surely everyone knew that he was the one you shouldn't tell secrets to, but he was quite manipulative to say the truth. He'd get in your head in just a few seconds, and for some reason, he always seemed really trustworthy. Then the next day you woke up, you'd be surrounded by gawking people that were curious whether the rumor had a point or not.

No one hated him, though. That was just the way he lived. "He was born with the talent of gossiping" if I were to borrow his mom's exact words.

Though he was sometimes a real pain in the , I guess that talent could be counted as a good thing as well. He really kept everyone entertained in this otherwise silent town. The only thing you needed to learn was that not everything was true, not even near. But no one cared about that when they got their hands on all the gossip.

"I was bored and wanted to do something nice," he, nevertheless, explained with a shrug. I prevented my head from shaking and almost let the cynical "yeah, right" slip out of my mouth.

He was just hungry for gossips like always. He obviously came to talk to me in order to hear something that's gone around the town, something interesting that would give him the spotlight for few days until he'd find something new.

I was trying my hardest not to give him anything, but if he was going to stick by my side, he'd hit the biggest jackpot ever since Woo Jiho's case.

I needed a distraction for him. Something casual, nothing out of ordinary, but nothing too plain and forced either. Anything that seemed even the tiniest bit suspicious was ruled out. If I'd only get his attention away from me, I could survive for another day.

"Great, sounds like a lot of fun. Help me to choose chips for me and Jackson?" I asked as I motioned towards the rows of chips, ignoring whether he nodded or not. My hands moved along the bags of chips as my mind raced fast to come up with a solution to this problem.

"Hey, what about red pepper flavored?" He asked.

I smiled at him gratefully and nodded. "Sure. Take four of them, he asked to bring a lot. Never mentioned anything about them being different flavors, though," I said and stuck out my tongue. Jackson should know by now that I was never trustworthy with a shopping list like this.

Baekhyun kept playing with the bag of chips with a hesitating face. "So, uhh... You and Jackson, huh?" He asked me. I was opting what kind of chocolate was I supposed to buy, him trailing after me as he patiently waited for my answer, even kindly showing me where the chocolates were hidden while at it.

"What? Me and Jackson what?" I asked absentmindedly. I couldn't believe how naive I was for that one short moment. It was Baekhyun we were talking about, there wouldn't be a lot of options. I fell on his small trap.

I bet he was already smirking behind me. In his point of view, I was just buying time to think about what to answer. With that, I turned around and he almost bumped into me because of the suddenness of it.

"No, absolutely not! We are not going out, he's just helping me with math homework," I quickly explained. He chuckled, though he did try to hide that fact, before looking at me with a sly grin.

"Sure... Only helping with "homework"," he said and made the quotation marks in the air. I stared at him, annoyed, wordlessly asking him if he was serious with my face. He seemed really desperate for some rumors. Fortunately, he understood my facial expression and left the subject alone.

"Alright, alright, just studying it is," he said defeated.

I rolled my eyes and turned to the chocolate options. Jackson asked for it so I was originally going to just buy him one, small bar, but since I was staring right at them, I couldn't help but to crave them. Besides, it wasn't like my hunger had subdued in any way, it had only gotten worse.

In the end, I picked up about five big chocolate bars and turned to Baekhyun. "You gonna buy anything?"

"Nah, I'm just hanging you with you," he answered. Great. He was hanging out with me when that was the last thing I wanted to do in my situation. 

"Did you know that Fei has been rumored to have a crush on your cousin?" He suddenly blurted out in bliss. This was clearly his passion. He should start a magazine. Wait, no, a bad idea. The next thing I know, I'd be on the first page.

Then I realized what he just said.

"Wait, you mean my, like, my cousin? And Fei, like, my school's Fei? Jia's Fei?" I questioned. Fei was beautiful for sure, but my cousin? What was she, blind?

"Uh-huh. And it seems like it has been going on for years already," Baekhyun added. I frowned and shook my head.

"Well, she's the one interested in him, not me," I stated in the end, making Baekhyun laugh.

"That'd be shocking, you and your cousin in a forbidden love relationship," Baekhyun said. Suddenly, his eyes got a mischievous twinkle in them and he smirked at me triumphantly. I gasped at his sudden change since I knew what he was up to.

"No way!" I screamed and started repeatedly hitting him.

"What? I haven't done anything!" he claimed and tried to prevent my hits from reaching him.

"Don't you dare to claim you did not just think of a new gossip!"

"Okay, okay... I won't spread that to anyone," he promised. I stopped hitting him and gave him a cautious look.

"Really?" It wasn't like him to just give up on a delicious story like that.

"... for ten minutes, I won't do it," he then added before dashing away. I was left gaping the air in disbelief. That son of a cauliflower!

I huffed in annoyance, but then I realized this was my chance. There was only me and the cashier there, and Baekhyun wouldn't return in awhile. Not before he has told at least over ten people, otherwise the rumor could be just forgotten or ignored.

I ran to the women's shelf and looked at the different pregnancy tests they had. I never knew there were so many of them, but not wanting to waste any time for Baekhyun's possible return, I grabbed the three closest ones to me and went to the cashier, ignoring the stacks of broccoli I almost purchased using Jackson as an excuse.

The clerk looked at the tests and then me, twice, but he didn't say a thing. He was a fine lad, pretty handsome too. I got the feeling that he wouldn't tell a soul what he saw, and I felt immense gratitude.

"Here's your receipt," he told after I gave him the right amount of cash.

"Thanks. May I know if there are any toilets here?" His gaze landed on the small plastic bag that held in my purchases and he nodded knowingly.

"They're on the back, behind the shelf of toilet papers. Tell me if you need any help," he said with a kind smile.

"Thanks, but I'll try to figure it out myself." I walked to the toilets and I nearly turned around to accept the young guy's offer of help. Seriously, what was with me and forgetting his name? The moment I stopped wondering that, when I collapsed into the empty stall if I was more specific, I felt panic getting the better of me.

I stared at the pregnancy tests in my hands, exhausted and sweat dripping from my forehead. Suddenly I didn't feel that confident anymore, and it felt as if the walls were ready to fall on me, and I would just let them because I was too numb to move a finger.

Before I even knew it, my hands had already dialed Jackson's phone number and pressed the green button. Slightly horrified about my actions, and scared of what to say, I bit my lip and waited for him to answer. For a moment I was relieved as it seemed like he wasn't picking up, but I froze as I heard his voice on the other side.

"Yup?" Jackson's said, sounding rather bored. Blinking away the tears that nearly fell from sudden devastation, I ranked my mind for anything I could possibly say. "Hey, Jackson, I'm about to find out if I'm pregnant and I want you to comfort me though I haven't said a thing to you?" I couldn't possibly say that.

"Talk to me," I finally pleaded. I heard him getting up, as if sensing that everything wasn't okay with me. I almost let a tear slip.

"Uhmm, well, your Mom is downstairs, cleaning and making dinner, so you better come home soon. It smells good, like... I don't know, fish? Salmon, perhaps. And your dad isn't here yet, but I heard him calling your mom, saying he was on his way. And yeah. When are the snacks coming?"

I chuckled as I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Soon," I answered, and after Jackson started nagging me to hurry up, I abruptly hung up on him.

I put the phone away and sighed as I tapped my feet against the floor, wanting to flee from there, run home and be drowned with warm hugs from my parents, who'd just whisper "everything's alright" against my ear while caressing my hair.

I let out nervous laughter while thinking about all of the trouble I got through today for only these three tests. I just continued staring at them like an idiot, like the job would get done that way, until I finally snapped out of my daze and decided it was time for action.

Opening the packages was nerve-wracking and I accidentally dropped them down a couple of times due to anxiousness. I read every instruction I could find thrice, just to be sure, before picking up the courage to do what they told me to. It all would be over after I peed into the sticks and waited for the results, but I was afraid I'd go nuts in that waiting part.

Seriously, I never thought I would have to do this inside a convenience store's tiny, tiny toilet.

After placing the tests upside down on a piece of paper, for some odd, personal reason, I closed my eyes and felt the regret of not going to find any four-leaved clovers eating me from inside. It took a lot to convince myself to check the results since I'd have to do that at one point after all.

What the hell was there to even worry about? I was just a normal 17-year old teenager that just had something to drink for one night, getting the feeling of a hangover for the first time. Nothing happened, end of the story.

And with that mindset, I turned the first of them over, staring wide-eyed at the two lines that had appeared on it. My mouth went dry and I gaped at the air in disbelief. This was just a false positive answer, I had heard about that. It was possible.

Not being able to take it anymore, I rushed to turn the rest of them as well, covering my mouth as I gasped at the results. I just couldn't comprehend it, it made absolutely no sense that... it would be three times positive.

Wow, I'd make an exclusive on Baekhyun's paper, was the only thought I could form as I felt everything else fading out.