The Student That Was

Hollow Heart

Over dinner, Yankumi shared to her Yakuza family that she had a pop star student. Minoru sheepishly asked for an autograph, but Tetsu wacked him with a rolled-up newspaper.

"It is impolite to ask that from Ojou!" he told his younger brother.

"Sorry, Aniki," Minoru said as he nursed his bald head.

"Well, I guess you have to get ready with a lot of fans hoarding to your classroom, Kumiko," Grandpa Ryuichiro said heartily.

Yankumi nodded and continued eating her rice.

******

After getting ready for bed, she opened the bedside cabinet and grabbed a picture frame from inside. She smiled to herself as she looked at the picture in front of her.

She had no idea what happened to Hyuga and Takeda, but she had heard from Kuma that Yabuki went to America to pursue his studies. The ramen store owner had a slight idea too, regarding Odagiri, whom he said went to Canada a month after high school graduation. During her conversation with Kuma, he did not have any idea what happened to Tsuchiya either. Even Kuma was asking her if Shin was also calling her, or trying to make any contact with her. She said that she had not had any communication with Shin. This picture was taken a week after her Kurogin Class 3-D's high school graduation, when Hyuga was asking her to come and jam with them for the last time.

She smiled as she looked at the picture. By now, maybe her students were making their own lives. She was totally proud that they learned to stand on their own feet. When her eyes shifted to Tsucchi's, she lit up a smile. He had joked that he did not like Miyazaki from a girls' school and that he preferred older women, and she joked back that perhaps, he liked her. But, really, it was not totally impossible, even if their ages were years in gap. Why? They look better together.

"Tsuchiya," she said to him in the picture. "Your sister is proud of you. I am proud of you. I hope your sister will be good in her studies."

She smiled to herself, placed the picture in her cabinet, and went to sleep.