Why Does It Feel Empty?

Hollow Heart

Seven o'clock in the morning.

Yankumi woke up and turned her alarm clock off. She stretched her arms and appreciated the morning sunshine flowing inside her window. Today is a new school day.

Her henchmen prepared food for her, as they deem it best that she needs to eat well. After breakfast, her grandpa bestowed his blessing on her.

*****

She was walking to her new school, Shiroyuki Gakuen, which was five blocks from her home. The students to her new school were very polite, and they greeted her when they saw that she was wearing the prescribed school teacher uniform.

She entered the faculty room and greeted everyone.

"Ohayou gozaimasu (Good morning)!" she perkily greeted.

"Ohayou gozaimasu," the other teachers greeted her, some with boredom in their voices.

She went to the table of the principal and greeted him. "Ohayou gozaimasu," she greeted as she bowed down.

The principal, who was facing the window, turned to greet her. "Ohay... Waaaa?????"

"Eh????" Yankumi complained in shock. "Sa-sa-Sawatari-sensei?"

"Yamaguchi-sensei?" Principal Sawatari asked. "Why are you here?"

"Anou..I applied here. I am the new math teacher," she explained.

Principal Sawatari grimaced and beckoned her to come closer. "I expect that you behave properly, or your Yakuza background will be found out! And it will be the end of me!"

~toinks~

"Ah...ee, ee (yes, yes)," Yankumi replied nervously.

Then Sawatari introduced the new teacher to the staff. After the introduction, Yankumi opened her bag and pulled out her red jerseys.

"What are you doing?" Sawatari asked.

"Uh, anou, I will change into my jerseys," Yankumi answered matter-of-factly.

"You will not be handling hard-headed students this year," the principal stated. "See, you are starting a whole school year."

Yankumi nodded as she placed back her jerseys. In the past, she usually handled Class 3-D, and in the middle of a school year.

*****

"I wonder how my students look like? This is an exclusive school for girls," she thought to herself. "They will not find ruckus outside the classroom, will they?"

She finally reached her destination. Class 3-D.

"Ah...shikata ga nai (It can't be helped)," she thought as she sighed. Then, posing her signature move, "Fight-o, oh!"

As she opened the door, she found girls in fashionable styles. They were totally girly-girls and they were a bit noisy. Most of them were doing their nails, some fixing each other's hair, etc. They were totally transforming the classroom into a beauty parlor. When the students saw a teacher enter, they stopped what they were doing and stood up.

"Ohayou gozaimasu," the girls greeted politely. They were totally polite despite looking like models or cosplayers.

Yankumi got to her table and greeted the students back. After letting the students sit down, she looked at her girls. They were totally attentive, unlike the usual Class 3-D that she handled in the past.

Just then, the student in front stood up and faced her classmates.

"Girls, since our teacher is here, let us all keep away our beauty products in order for us to start our class," the girl said.

Yankumi's eyes grew wide. That was totally weird, but it was called for.

"She must be the class leader," Yankumi thought to herself.

And so started her introduction.

"I am Yamaguchi Kumiko, your homeroom teacher for the whole school year. I will also be your math teacher. I had previously taught in Shirokin, Kurogin, Yambaru, and Akadou in the past. This is my first time teaching in an all girl's school," she said. "You can call me Yankumi. Hehe, that is what my boys call me in the past."

And so, the girls asked whether the boys were cool and intelligent, but she had to tell them the truth.

"Hontou ni (Really)?" asked one girl. "My nee-chan used to date someone from Kurogin, and she said the guys from Class 3-D were totally badass and totally kakkoii."

Yeah, you can say it again.

"My boys looked like that, but they are totally adorable," she told her students.

"Awww..." the girls sighed happily.

Then, the leader shot up her hand. Yankumi called her. "Yes?"

"I really appreciate you telling us to call you by nickname, but we are taught to be formal here," she told the teacher. "Gomen nasai (Sorry). We will call you Yamaguchi-sensei."

Yakumi suddenly felt sad. She just wanted to be close to her students. But the leader has a point. She might as well get used to it not being called Yankumi.

"Ii desu yo (It's all right)," Yankumi said. "Wakarimaa (I understood)."

Then, the leader began to introduce herself. She is Hiroyama Aiko. Then her other classmates introduced themselves. One student from the third row caught her attention when she introduced herself.

"Watashi no namae wa Paku Jiyon desu (My name is Park Jiyeon)," the student said.

"Anata wa Kankoku-jin desu ka (Are you Korean)?" Yankumi asked.

"Ye...hai...," the student said, correcting her speech immediately. She almost forgot that she was talking to a Japanese teacher.

("Ye" is "yes" in Korean, while "hai" is in Japanese.)

"She is from a popular girl group in Korea," another student said.

"Hontou desu ka?" Yankumi asked in wonder as she looked at Jiyeon, who blushed and nodded humbly. "Well, I guess I could enjoy everybody's company then."

The students continued to introduce themselves. Finally the last girl had her turn.

"Tsuchiya Mayumi desu (I am Tsuchiya Mayumi)," she introduced herself.

"Tsuchiya? I used to have a student with that surname," Yankumi said.

"Hai, kare wa watashi no ani desu (Yes, he is my elder brother)," Mayumi replied.

"I hope your brother is doing well," Yankumi said.

"Yes, he is," Mayumi said. Then, with a sly face, she added. "Kakkoii ne (He's cool, right)?"

"Eh?" the teacher said as if it were her ultimate punchline. Because of that, her students . Yankumi and Tsuchiya Hikaru...that was definitely something. Just when Yankumi thought that Sawada Shin was the first and last guy involved in her life....

Yankumi felt contented having a set of good students, with a pop star in between. She felt empty still, not being able to hear someone call her Yankumi.