CH. 7 Follow Me

Rotten Luck

Ch. 7 Follow Me


 

          After dinner, Hoya ahjusshi excused himself from someone calling him for an extermination business. Sungyeol was disappointed but saw him happily to the door. His other guest however, had no intention of leaving and enthusiastically stayed behind.

 

    Hoya hurried towards the door, “Sorry Sungyeol, I gotta run. Work calls.”

 

    “Okay goodbye!” Sungyeol cheerily said. He turned around and slightly jumped, shocked that the self-invited guest was still there. His eyes were bright and he plastered a stupid yet charming smile on his face like a cat as he tried hard not to spazz at whatever was inside Sungyeol’s house. Everything that Sungyeol has touched. Sungyeol started for the kitchen again. In fact, Myungsoo is a cat; he trailed behind Sungyeol leaving too little of a comfort zone between them to the taller boy’s dismay.

 

    “So what are we going to do Sungyeolie? Shall we play a game? I can actually play music! I know lots of songs, sometimes when you’re not in your room and I’m just really bored on that tree all by myself  I bring my guitar with me so I can play while I wait for you___!”

 

    “WHAT?!”

 

    “Oh uh___ opps… I mean on my own time I study the guitar and play by myself…” he stuttered.

 

    Myungsoo internally cursed himself for talking too much and speaking about things that should not be talked about. One thing that Sunggyu didn’t teach him was tact and diplomacy. He had to keep it on a downlow as to not remind Sungyeol of his past wrong doings. If vampires could sweat, Myungsoo would be sweating like a glazed donut in the sun right now But lucky for him, he didn’t; however, he was twiddling his fingers nervously, waiting for Sungyeol to break their silence as Myungsoo fidgeted uncontrollably in his seat. It frustrated him over how hard it was to impress Sungyeol.

 

“Umm…” Sungyeol looked confused. “Do you need to pee or something?”

That’s how much Myungsoo fidgeted.

 

    Myungsoo was caught off guard. “What? N-n-no.”

 

    Sungyeol was pensive. He is at risk right now. This...being! could be a huge potential threat to his safety. What if something similar happened like when he was showering? Hoya ahjusshi wouldn’t be here to save him!

 

    “S-s-sungyeollie --”

 

    “Just Sungyeol, please.”

    “Wouldyouliketogoonadatewithme.”
    “What?”

    “I said, would you like to goonadatewithme.”

 

Sungyeol scoffed and half yelled, “Who do you think you are, ert!”

 

    “No, no no! I’m not a -” Myungsoo waved his hands up defensively denying Sungyeol’s accusations like a  sad child.

 

    “Then how would you explain that night?”

 

    “That … I- I”

 

Sungyeol felt a little bit like he was being too harsh. The pale boy across from him  was stuttering nervously and biting his lips. Was Sungyeol that intimidating? Myungsoo took a deep sigh.

 

    “I’m reallyreallyreallysorry for stalking you. It’s just that I-- I like you a lot! Actually, MORE than A LOT, I LOVE YOU A LOT a lot ...since...since back when  we were little! ”  Myungsoo confessed sincerely and closing his eyes, expecting the worse reaction from Sungyeol after his confession.

 

    “...” Sungyeol didn’t know what to say. Half of him says this boy is completely out of his mind with all the stalking and excuses of love (since they barely knew each other, or rather, Sungyeol was sure Myungsoo knew him too well), and the other part of him felt a tiny, tiny pang of pity, and as much as he wanted to deny it, Sungyeol did actually find the other boy a little cute.  Maybe not as much as Hoya Ahjusshi, but just a little bit. Myungsoo’s clumsiness has its own strange charms, and most of all, the sincerity in his confession slightly touched Sungyeol’s heart.

 

    “Ok, I’ll go on a date with you.”

 

    “....I knew it wouldn’t...I’m sorry WHAT? You will?!”

 

    “Yes.”

 

    “Really? YES! THank you, thank you thank you!” Myungsoo was spazzing, but he didn’t care. He jumped up and hugged Sungyeol tightly.

 

    “Oh! I can’t breathe...” Sungyeol huffed under Myungsoo’s iron grip.

 

    “Oh! Sorry!” Myungsoo had forgotten about his superhuman strength and ended up hugging Sungyeol too tightly.

 

    “So, since you mentioned you could play music, how about you play something for me?”

 

    “Really!?? You’ll listen to me?”

 

    “Sure.”

 

    “Can I call you Sungyeolie now?”

 

    “...Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves now.”

 

    “Ok! Let me go get my guitar!” Myungsoo smiled giddily.

 

    Things were finally looking up for Myungsoo. All his efforts were truly worth it. Sungyeol was finally giving him a chance! If things can continue at this pace, maybe, just maybe by the end of the month, Sungyeol will agree to marry him! Well, no, Myungsoo didn’t want to get ahead of himself now, but being boyfriends would be nice.


 

    Myungsoo smiled sheepishly to himself at the thought of him and Sungyeol cruising through the night with an awesome sports car, stargazing, going on ice cream dates, riding the ferris wheel when the carnival came to town, and paddling duck boats in the swamps where they can see fireflies at night. AND when they finally become an official couple, he can introduce Sungyeol to his parents, and they can get married, and their first night together will be precious. Sungyeol will look beautiful in white like those vampire brides in Myungsoo’s storybooks. THE HONEYMOON. Yes, don’t forget the honeymoon...The vampire boy’s young mind was filled with  his y y Yeolie and y y time with Yeolie at the moment.

 

    “Yah. Excuse me, you’re drooling.” Sungyeol said flatly interrupting Myungsoo’s fantasies.

 

    “Huh? Oh! Sorry!” Myungsoo slurped his drool and wiped his chin.

 

 


 

_______________________________________________________________________

 

    

Woohyun sat beside the living room window in his special chair, gazing out of the window to admire his garden and sipping his tea when he suddenly saw a rackety blue bus wagon coming down the street. That’s odd. They rarely get visitors. He immediately set down his tea and maneuvered closer to the window to inspect the strange vehicle when it pulled up on his driveway. He slightly panicked. Who are the living room do they want. Woohyun started to frantically scour the living room, arming himself with a feather duster and proceeding to hide behind a chair to await the intruder.

 

Gyu was smiling ear to ear, his eyes receding into slits as he fumbled in his pockets for the house keys. He couldn’t find them, so he knocked on the door. No answer. He shook the door knob and it flung open, revealing a very belligerent Woohyun with a feather duster. Woohyun accidentally hit Sunggyu on the torso.


    “OWWW,” he grabbed his stomach. Woohyun dramatically gasped.

 

“Oh my god are you okay, jagi, oh my baby, gyu I’m so sorry I thought you were an intruder!”

 

Gyu waved it off. He entered the house and dropped his bag lazily on the living room table before giving his wife a passionate back hug and a sloppy kiss on the cheek. Then he covered Woohyun’s eyes with his hands and started leading him out the door and into the driveway.

 

“Yah. I already know what it is. You better explain it to me.”

 

“You’re no fun.”

 

“Neither are you.”

 

Woohyun looked at the bus wagon pensively and frowned. “How much was it.” His voice was stern.

 

“Don’t worry about it,” Sunggyu plainly said.

 

“Where did you get it? The dumpster?”

 

“I said don’t worry about it,” the husband grinned.

 

“Did you steal it?!!?” Woohyun exclaimed.

 

“NO! I DID NOT. I ACTUALLY PAID FOR IT!”

 

Woohyun shrugged in approval before walking a back into the house. He didn’t make a big deal about it since he worried for Sunggyu’s health. After all, lugging the ginseng up and down the hill every evening was taxing his body. Woohyun thought vampires never get tired, but Gyu begs to differ so Woohyun pampers him anyways.  

 

    

Myungsoo happily skipped his way back home before dusk. Instead of sulking into the house in his usual rebellious teenage attitude, He greeted his parents politely as ever and smiled to himself every few seconds, lost in his own thoughts; nonetheless, the vampire boy didn’t fail to notice an old blue wagon bus parked on his driveway.

 

“Who parked that old junk wagon in front of our house Umma?” Myungsoo asked his parents.

 

“Your dad just bought it!” Woohyun answers casually.

 

“WHAT! Why?!”

 

“Yah! What do you mean why?” Sunggyu started. “It’s a gem! Appa got it so we don’t have to walk up and down the hill everyday to sell ginseng anymore. Plus we can use it as our family vacation wagon. Plus I’m sure you’d get all the ladies in town this this beauty when you date Myungsoo.”

 

“....” Both Woohyun and Myungsoo stayed silent at the statement from Sunggyu.

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

Myungsoo was digging through his wardrobe for something to wear on his first date with Sungyeollie when Woohyun entered his room with a bottle of fresh blood he bought from the backdoor of the local hospital in the shadier side of town.

 

    “Baby, I brought you your dinner!” Woohyun calls to him, “ What are you doing?”

 

    “I’m looking for something decent to wear Umma.”

 

    “Why what for?”

 

    “...”

 

    “Myungsoo...what are you up to now?”

 

    “...I have a date.”

 

    “What!? With WHO? OH no, don’t tell me you blackmailed or worse, forced that poor human boy on a date!?”

 

    “No Umma! He actually agreed on his own!” He giggled at the fact.

 

    “Oh dear so it’s that human boy.”

 

    “Yes Umma.” Myung nodded stupidly.

 

    “Ohhh omoomomo...by precious baby is all grown up and going on dates now.”

 

    “Umma…”

 

    “Aiigoo, don’t act as if I’m embarrassing you. Well let us meet him soon! I’m sure your Appa would be happy with the news. Oh, I forgot how are you going to go on a date if the two of you don’t have a car? Are you going to walk to town?”

 

    “Did I hear someone say date and car?” Sunggyu piped in through the crack of the door.

 

    “My son! Finally growing into a man, and getting his ways with the ladies I see. Do you need Appa’s help?”

 

    “Goodness no you old geezer! Leave him alone!” Woohyun called out in an annoyed tone and bopped Sunggyu over the head.

 

    “Wae wae? Why do you doubt me?”

    

    “Because he’s bound to be forever alone if he listens to you!” Woohyun yelled crossing his arms.

 

    “.....Appa….Umma…” Myungsoo choose to keep his silence once again when he mother and father started another one of their senseless arguments.

    

    

_____________________________________________________________________

 

Myungsoo had to silently sneak out of the house, for his father was pestering him on why he didn’t want to take the bus wagon for his date instead of walking. Myungsoo had to make up the excuse that Sungyeol easily got motion sickness, so it was better that they walk. His dad nagged the moment he woke up after sunset about taking the van and how it would prove that Sungyeollie wasn’t a gold digger if he accepted Myungsoo for whatever car he drove. Myungsoo understood his father, but this date was too important to risk anymore bad incidents. What if the van broke down and stranded him and Sungyeol in the middle of nowhere because it was too old and junky? With Myungsoo’s kind of luck, those things are likely to happen.

Myungsoo tried to pick the best black outfit he could find from his wardrobe. It had cost Woohyun umma 50 gold coins and 2 silvers to buy, and he even made the effort to style his hair up. Should he go for a cool look? or a chic one? He went with looking cool. Sungyeol likes Hoya Ahjusshi because he’s cool. Myungsoo chose a simple black v-neck t-shirt, black jeans, and a black zip-up jacket (because Hoya ahjusshi always wears his purple one).  He even made the effort to style his crow’s nest hair up. He truly looked like a dark prince emerging from the catacombs. The teen could barely contain himself earlier this week when Sungyeol had actually agreed to the date. Plus, he had to thank Auntie Dongwoo for putting in the word for him so Hoya ahjusshi would lend the boy his super awesome sports car with a sunroof fit for stargazing.

Before leaving the house though, Myungsoo couldn’t forget just one more thing...sunscreen. Lots of sunscreen. Humans are awake during the day. Sungyeol is human. Myungsoo must sacrifice himself. He took the bottle and squeezed nearly half of it onto his hand before slathering it in a thick layer on his face and any exposed skin that the sun might burn. There was no point in putting on nice smelling cologne earlier. He just smelled like sunblock now.

 

Flashback:

Myungsoo straightened himself up as he knocked on Uncle Hoya’s door, standing poised and polite like an honor student. Just as he expected, Auntie Dongwoo came out. He knew specifically to come at the time when Auntie Dongwoo would be home because with his presence, Hoya ahjusshi will just have to say yes to his request.

“Hello, Auntie Dongwoo!” Myungsoo politely bowed. He never did this to Hoya.

“My child! Helllooo!” Dongwoo slapped his to gesture him into the house. “What are you doing here today? Do you miss Hoya Ahjusshi that much? Are you jealous that I get to spend more time with him now? HKYAKYAKYA.’

“Actually I have a favor to ask Hoya ahjusshi.”

“What do you want you rascal,” Hoya said in a monotonous voice from his special purple chair.

“Hoya ahjusshi….you know how you said that I would never get a girlfriend because I always cried too much?”

“And you still do.”

“Well guess what,” Myungsoo puffed his chest triumphantly. “I’ve got a date tonight.”

“Good for you.”

Myungsoo deflated.

Auntie Dongwoo came to the rescue, “Ooohhh! Precious! What kind of a person are they? Is she pretty? Bring her to meet us someday!”

    “Yes, he’s very pretty Auntie Dongwoo.”

    “So what do you want from me?” Hoya asked. He knew that whatever Myungsoo wanted would be something that would get him in trouble.

    “Hoya ahjusshi, can I borrow your car?” Myungsoo spat out.

    “What?! No.”

    “Awww whyyyyyy?!” The teenager whined dramatically.
    “It’s my precious car. I barely even drive it, that’s why I lock it up in the garage all the time.”

    “But you let Auntie Dongwoo take it!”

    “Because that’s Auntie Dongwoo and not you!”

    “Hoya ahjusshiiiieeiii!” Myungsoo’s voice became extra whiny and squishy. “I only have one chance at this. It took me forever to get Sungyeollie to agree to go on this date and I can’t just ruin it by taking appa’s bus wagon! Ho-jushiii.”

    “Noooo..” Hoya sang mockingly. No freaking hell way is he going to lend his baby to this twerp. Myungsoo changed tactics and glanced at auntie Dongwoo with pitiful puppy dog eyes.

“I said no!” Hoya got annoyed.

    “HOYA!” Dongwoo started. “Why do you have to be mean to this precious little baby!” Dongwoo pinched Myungsoo’s cheeks and patted him on the head. “It’s his first date!”

    Myungsoo nodded accordingly, pouting to appeal to be as cute and pitiful as possible.

    “Here you go you little kitty, go and have fun.” Dongwoo handed Myungsoo the keys and ushered him out of the front door.

    “Dongwoo!” Hoya said in disbelief.

Dongwoo simply giggled and said that it’ll be fine. Nothing will happen. Hoya couldn’t bear to go against his precious Dongwoo so he sat back down in worry over his purple baby.

 

The moment the door closed behind Myungsoo, he punched his fist in the air in victory and smiled from ear to ear before rubbing his hands together and gracefully pressing the unlock button to the car.

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

“Yah! What was that?!” Sungyeol jumped from his seat, staring at Myungsoo. The other boy made a sharp turn on the curb, climbing the curb and accidentally hit a fire hydrant. A loud clank followed by a shattering sound could be heard the moment Myungsoo made the turn and Sungyeol had a feeling that they might’ve dented or scratched the head of the car; the headlights are probably busted too.

 

“It’s no biggie! I’ve got it!” Myungsoo reassured, but Sungyeol simply sat rigidly in his seat, gripping onto the seat belt.

 

The date wasn’t bad at all. Dinner was great although their conversations were a little awkward, but it was still good. And Sungyeol had to admit that the sightseeing was rather romantic.

 

____________________________________________________________________

 

It quickly turned dark. Myungsoo pulled up beside the river and opened up the sunroof. he turned to Sungyeol.

    

“This is one of my favorite places to be...the stars are just beautiful here…”

 

“You mean this is the place you go when you weren’t stalking me?”

 

Myungsoo just smirked. The two sat there, enjoying the silence and the stars. Sungyeol admired the way Myungsoo’s eyes shined and twinkled when he looked up at the stars. They had a nice burgandy-ish color to them and they slightly widened when Myungsoo noticed the bright full moon. Oh yeah...Woohyun umma will be going to grandma’s again soon. It was getting to be near midnight.

 

“Myungsoo-shii. I think I should be heading home now. It’s getting late.”

 

“Huh? OH sure, let’s go.” Myungsoo didn’t want the date to end, but he understood that Sungyeol was human and was probably tired by now. In fact, Myungsoo was tired; he’d been up since sunrise. Myungsoo reached up to the sun roof to close it. It closed halfway before it got harder to pull. He kept pulling and eventually jammed it.

 

“Let’s let some night air in, yeah?” He nervously muttered to Sungyeol.

 

When the two reached the front of Sungyeol’s house, Myungsoo, being the gentleman that he was, quickly got out and opened Sungyeol’s car door before escorting the latter into his home.

 

“Hey...thanks...I had fun tonight.” Sungyeol awkwardly stated.

 

“Me too! I- um- thanks for going on this date with me!” Myungsoo even more awkwardly stated.

 

    “So...I guess I’ll be going now…” Sungyeol started to close the gap of the door and Myungsoo took the signal to say goodbye and started heading off to the car.

 

    “Wait!” Sungyeol called after him. “You-you smelled really nice today!”