CH. 13 Placebo

Rotten Luck

Sungjong stared sympathetically at the poor sweet human sitting on the bed, bent over with his palm resting on his cheek. His face was melancholy with a sad pout.

 

Sungyeol, who was once his rival, now was the apple of his eyes for this child was the only person who understands the dreadful feeling of seeing someone you love look at another girl. Ahem. Sungjong could say he personally experienced this of course.

 

Sungjong went over to put a hand on Sungyeol’s shoulders. He shoved it off.

 

“Sungyeolie… It’s not going to do you any good by sitting here and pout. I’m sure Myungsoo has something to say,” Sungjong cooed.

 

Sure enough, Myungsoo did have a lot to say.

 

“SUNGYEOLLIE, YEOLLIE! PLEASE OPEN THE DOOR!!!! LET OOPPA IN MYUNGGIE IS SORRY, I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN *bang bang bang bang bang*”

 

Sungyeol ignored him and started huffing and puffing with his eyes threatening to water any minute now. He shook his head when Sungjong offered to go talk to Myungsoo for him.

 

“SUNGYEOLLIE, IT WAS ALL A MISUNDERSTANDING, PLEASE TALK TO ME!”

 

That ticked Sungyeol off. “MISUNDERSTANDING?!?! HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN WHAT I SAW? THEY WERE RUBBING YOUR LEGS!” He bolted up from where he was sitting and Sungjong had to pin him back to the bed.

 

“I-I’ll take care of this. Fairy godmother will take care of this Sungyeolie, so just sit down honey kay? I’ll make you my mother’s healing potion to calm everyone down okay?”

 

He patted Sungyeol’s head and whispered over and over in a sing song voice “go to sleep, go to sleep my precious child, go to sleep”, trying to drain out the sobbing noises that were coming from the other side of the door. Sungjong simply opened the door and gracefully stepped over the crying mess that was wetting the floorboards.

 

The little fairy made his way downstairs and on his way, he glanced at the living room. Hoya was sitting on the couch with Dongwoo, their back faced towards where Sungjong was. Dongwoo was sniffling and leaning on Hoya’s shoulders, and all the tiger hunter did was rub the fairest of the woodland’s back. He kissed the latter’s forehead. Dongwoo turned away softly from the hunter.

 

Sungjong then walked into the kitchen and almost backed out because there were two silently fuming figures sitting across from each other at the kitchen table.

Actually, only one of them were fuming. The other, instead of putting his head down like earlier, looked straight into the scorned woman’s eyes with his own eyes, which were sincerely apologetic. Woohyun softened when Sunggyu took his hands in his.

 

Sungjong figured it was best to leave the scene and leave them alone, only, the only way to the garden in the backyard was a door through the kitchen, so the little fairy flew quickly and gracefully through the dense atmosphere.

 

Instead of pretty flowers and trees, the back garden was filled with dirt and ginseng save for one small patch that housed Woohyun’s petunias. He spotted a ginseng root poking from the ground and pulled it out. After he had a couple of Gyu’s precious ginseng in his hands, he went back into the kitchen, this time a lot braver, and simply ignored the two people who were still staring at each other intently; Gyu was now rubbing Woohyun’s hands lovingly.

 

The fairy rummaged through the cabinets for honey and barely found it in the back of the pantry. He placed a big pot of water on the stove and waited for it to boil before steeping the ginseng into the water and mixing in some of the honey. He waited it to cool a bit before pouring it into six glasses. He mixed bat-blood juice with two of the six and set the glasses on a elegant looking tray. The fairy pulled out his wand before reciting what his mother had taught him.

 

"Beepadi boppadi boo, Sungjongie lost a shoe!" Sungjong recited; he was sure those were the exact lines Umma has always chanted whenever he was being fussy and she had to make her calming potion to calm him down. It worked like a charm every time.

 

Six golden, glistening sparks shot out from the tip of Sungjong’s star tipped wand like small fireworks, and each landed in a glass which caused the “calming tea” to sparkle through the clear glasses. Sungjong smiled contently at his wonderful magic spell before taking the tray to serve everyone.

 

The tension in the house was as thick as the musty atmosphere within it; it could’ve easily been sliced by a butter knife. Sungjong hummed a delightful tune as he made his way to the kitchen table where the tensest couple sat. Sunggyu was still rubbing his wife’s hands lovingly (and desperately) muttering words of apologies and promises to never step foot in the tavern again, but Woohyun’s coldness did not falter. With a gentle and elegant gesture, the fairy placed two classes of the calming potion on the table, the amber drink besides Woohyun and the red besides Sunggyu.

 

" What's this?" Sunggyu questions eyeing the drinks.

 

" A family recipe,  Sungjongie's famous Calming Potion," the fairy replied proudly.

 

" I don't want it, I am calm." Woohyun responded harshly.

“Your leg says otherwise…” Sungjong thought to himself.

 

The man in a lot of trouble perked up immediately as soon as he heard Sungjong say the “calming” part of the potion. Surely, they all needed this; surely he needed Woohyun to drink this the most.

 

Sunggyu took this as another opportunity to soothe his wife. “Now, now my sweet honey tree, don’t be that way. Sungjongie is here practically in our law, so we shouldn’t be rude to his hospitality. He took his precious time to make us these. let’s drink this contently,” Sunggyu reasoned, pinching Woohyun’s cheek cutely before his hands were slapped away.

 

“Pali, pali, drink up my honeytree; let us not disrespect our lovely in-law,” Gyu waved his hands up at Woohyun to gesture him to drink before he brought his own cup with the bat-blood juice to his lips.

 

“Ahhhh, Sungjongie, this tastes great! I feel calm already!” Sunggyu nervously and stiffly laughed.

 

Woohyun rolled his eyes and reluctantly gave the mystical tea a taste; his expression changed immediately before he took another sip more eagerly this time. Sungjong smiled cheerfully at the sight and proceeded to the living room where the tiger hunter and his love sat. Dongwoo was still holding in the last of his sobs as Hoya tried his best to console the witch doctor.

 

“*hic hic hic* I’m sorry Hoya, I’m not mad at you, it’s just, just Myungsoo is so precious to you and I just thought what you were doing, letting him go...wild...like that might just hurt you, Hoya, it might hurt you too see...well, if anything were to happen and Myungsoo wouldn’t find love anymore, and, and *hic* I’m sorry, Ho---”

 

Sungjong set two glasses on the coffee table like a skilled waiter and gave the couple a sweet lemon candy smile. “Here you go my lovelies, have a taste and I assure you, your problems will wash away, omo omo, let’s wipe away these tears Dongwoo-shi.”

 

"W...what is this?" Dongwoo and Hoya looked up at the fairy with drinks in hand.

 

"My family's own calming potion remedy." Sungjong replied as a-matter-o-factly.

 

"B...But this...is..."

 

The sweet herby aroma from the tea finally reached Dongwoo’s nose and he immediately recognized what the "potion" really was.

 

“Now, drink up and make up you two! I’m in a hurry; I need to deliver these to the two lovesick children upstairs before the idiot one cries a rotting hole through the floorboards with his acidic tears!” Sungjong hummed his tune in a quicker and more upbeat pace.

 

Dongwoo sipped at the drink’s warmth, and so did Hoya, but he had a mantra running through his mind.

    “Calm, calm, calm down Lee Howon, calm, calm, calm K-kim, kalm, calm, My-yu-uhnggggg--ssssssthooooooo.!!! UGHH, calm, calm calm.”

 

When Sungjong made his way upstairs again, he still met with the sight of a crying mess of a vampire who tried to stifle himself from sobbing waterfalls; he plopped on the floor in front of the door like a melancholic bum.

 

“S-SSUNGYEOLIE, PLEASE, PLEASE BELIEVE IN MINGTHOO OPPA! I SWEAR I THOUGHT ALL OF THEM WERE YOU! Pleeeeeeeasseee….let me in….I’m sorrry, ss...orr..rryyy...pleeeasse….eee.. o-o-oppa is so r rry Sung. *gasp* yeol *gasp liieee *gasp* eeeeehueeehee. I s-s-swear I didn’t touch any of them.”

 

It was more than obvious that Myungsoo wasn’t mature enough to marry for responsibilities since he had now resorted to scratching at the floorboards and door with his vampire claws like a cat. He was lying face to the floor, knees bent to his stomach with a single cheek resting on on the floor, and his slightly stuck up in the air. This was a scene that Hoyah-ahjusshi saw too many times. From where Sungjong stood, he could see each and everyone of Myungsoo’s tears hopelessly rolling across the ridge of his  nose. Sungjong tried to lift his head from the floor, but he resisted and slammed the side of his cheek down, preventing Sungjong from doing so..

 

“Ahhh...it’s because you can see into the room through the crack beneath the door….aigoo, this boy…”

 

Sungjong took a wide step over the lump to get to the door while he held onto his tray steadily. The fairy godmother tsked at the pathetic form and shook his head disapprovingly. There were no words to be said that could help his sad soul, so Sungjong simply bent down and placed the “Calming” potion mixed with bat-blood juice on the floor besides Myungsoo.

 

“Drink this you big cry-baby! Fairy godmother has graced you with this miracle tonic that will assure that precious Sungyeollie will forgive you!”

 

“...Sungyeolie….*hic hic hic*.”

 

    As Sungjong predicted, nothing that he said could evoke any sort of reaction from the dramatic teenager. Myungsoo sobbed in silence, his eyes staring off into space through the crack under the door. The vampire lazily dragged the glass across the floor towards himself and reached for the bendy straw, pulling it towards his lips and sipping at it. The stupid curse, rules, or traditions of the vampire clan, or whatever is seriously making Myungsoo and Sungyeol more pathetic by the day.

 

The fairy creaked the door and stepped inside before promptly closing it.

 

“WAIT!”

 

Sungjong accidentally slammed the door on Myungsoo’s fingers, but the boy removed them before the door fully shut.

 

“Oops…”


 

Sungyeol rubbed his eyes with the sleeves of his sweater desperately; he told himself that he wouldn’t bother himself with being sad over his stupid dorky fiance, but the image of the barmaids rubbing Myungsoo’s legs made him want to pull out the cheap hair extensions on their heads. He couldn’t help but care and slightly wondered that he’s caring so much because of the stupid cursed bonds of vampires.

 

    “I said stop knocking on the door!” Sungyeol yelled turning towards the door.

 

    “It’s just me Sungyeolie, It’s fairy godmother!” Sungjong cheered bringing over the tray with the last drink.

 

    “Fairy Godmother! I’m sorry I thought it was that annoying buttsoo.” Sungyeol pouted and wiped his tears.

 

    “No no child, just me! The one and lovely Sungjong. Anyways, I brought you this calming potion that will surely make everything ok. Come on now take a sip." Sungjong offered the glass to Sungyeol.

 

Sungyeol took the glass and gave it a sip. The sweet honey ginseng filled his mouth and instantly made the Knots in his muscles loosen. He was much calmer now compared to before, but he was still emotionally seething.

 

    “Do you want to talk to Myungsoo now? I’m sure he didn’t mean what he did…”

 

    Sungyeol sighed and nodded. Sungjong started towards the door to open it, but Sungyeol stood up and stopped him to get the door himself. He took deep breaths before placing his hands on the door knob and swinging it open in one go, very much expecting to confront Myungsoo’s face the moment it open.

    Instead, he didn’t see Myungsoo’s face, or at least, see it at eye level. Sungyeol jumped looked down at his feet when he felt a pair of cold hands grasp at his ankles. Yes, grovel at my feet, despicable person.

 

    “S-s-sungyeollie….I’m sorry…” Myungsoo whispered through his sniffles.

 

    “Do you mean it?” Sungyeol sternly said.

 

    Myungsoo wrapped his fists around the hem of Sungyeol’s pants tighter.

 

    “Y-yethss, ack!”

 

    “YAH! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!” The fairest of them all screeched at the top of his lung, making a not so fair sound at all.

 

    “S-S-SSUN-NG! I-”

    

    Sungyeol’s pant button popped off from his pants and flew into Myungsoo’s face. The inelastic waistband of his pants were situated right around the circumference of his , half pulled down yet it didn’t make it down all the way since it was stopped by the waistband. (A little tug would’ve done the trick.) Myungsoo’s grip at his hems were a little too strong.

 

    “YOU’RE NOT GOING TO LET GO?!”

 

    “I’M SORRY, S-SUNG, I - I - PLEASE DON’T DISOWN ME!” Myungsoo’s face crinkled up.

 

"KIM MYUNGSOO LET GO, YOU’RE PULLING TOO HARD!" Sungyeol screamed swatting his vampire fiance away, but to no avail. Myungsoo was still pulling hard causing Sungyeol pants to slip further down below his line revealing part of his owl print underwear.  

 

"NOOO nooo Myungthoo will not let go until Yeolie forgives myungthoo..." Myungsoo shook his head like a child, his hands still gripped tightly on the hem leg of Sungyeol's pants, unaware of the upcoming havoc he was about to cause.

 

"I said let go!!!"

 

"Nooooo"

 

"Let goo!!"

 

    “Kids, I brought snacks, come and get your bat-bloo--- YAH! KIM MYUNGSOO! YOU BAD BAD CHILD! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED! ” Woohyun instinctively smacked the back of Myungsoo’s head (something that he did often to Sunggyu) and it hit Sungyeol’s crotch. Sungyeol defensively put his hands over the front of his pants and stepped back, letting Myungsoo flop down onto the floor.

 

This scene did not look too favorable for Myungsoo; Woohyun umma was already jumping into many different scenarios in his head. Woohyun couldn’t trust having these two alone for just a minute before the wedding.

 

“AIIIGOOO, AAAIIGOOOOO at this rate, do you want me to be a grandma by the end of the week!?” Woohyun yelled, hitting Myungsoo on the a few times as his son lay on the floor. “Do you want to shame me and your Appa in front of the entire clan by the wedding day?!”

 

"U...Umma ni ... it's not like that." Sungyeol defended waving his hands in in denial causing his pants to slip down to his knees making the situation appear worse.

 

"Aigoo ooooo look at you two, Aaaiiiigooooooo," Woohyun cried out beating a hand to his chest.  

 

"Now now calm down Woohyunie maybe we should push forward the wedding date,” Gyu suggested, poking his head through the door.

 

Sungjong went down to get some more of the potion, probably a stronger batch, to calm the bickering that started between the older couple. The fairy sighed deeply thinking about the hard work he had to endure for these two troublesome pairs.

 

    Sungyeol closed his eyes, rolled them behind his eyelids, and took a really really deep breath before bending down to place a hand on Myungsoo’s head. The vampire immediately perked up and latched himself onto the human.

 

“Have you forgiven me? Heheheheh,” Myungsoo smiled stupidly, yet sweetly, snuggling close to Sungyeol by propping his head on the latter’s shoulder. Ignoring the fact that his parents were bickering right in front of them, the teenage vampire rubbed his cheeks against Sungyeol’s face like a cat.

 

    Sungjong was stressed out himself. His hair was stuck out in unfamiliar places on his head as he chopped up an extra portion of ginseng.  The potion was supposed to make them calmer, not angrier. He went back into the kitchen and stood by the stove where there was still half a pot of the potion left.

 

    “What am I missing? This is weird because whenever umma made it, it calmed people right away. I mean, my recipe works, but it didn’t last for long...just what am I missing?” Sungjong muttered out loud to himself.

 

    “Did you remember the garlic?” came a voice from the doorway.

 

    “Ahh! I forgot the garl- Dongwoo-shi! How did you know?”

 

    Dongwoo simply winked an eye. “I know what you’re up to. It’s so nice of you to help them out like this. It’s amazing how someone or even their feelings can cause another person to think a different way….” He sighed.

 

    “What do you mean by that?” Sungjong was confused at what Dongwoo was saying. “And how do you know that there’s supposed to be garlic in this?”

 

    “Every witch-doctor knows that...it’s not like its a trade secret or anything.”

 

    Sungjong was both confused and concerned now. “No, my umma said this is a family secret. It’s supposed to magically calm people’s nerves at the first taste.”

 

    Dongwoo chuckled heartily, “Honey….how do I break this to you...your umma...nevermind. It’s a placebo recipe...it really does nothing to calm the nerves except maybe give you some extra nutrients. But it works. On Hoya. Hehe”

 

    The witch doctor pushed past Sungjong and took the fairy’s hand, leading him out towards the back yard. Once they were standing in the only patch of grass, Dongwoo bent down and waved his hands over the dirt. His eyes narrowed in concentration before they lighted up again and he pulled out a root from the dirt.

 

    “Here! Garlic, since we couldn’t find any in the fridge.”

 

    “Thank you, Dongwoo-shi!”

 

    Sungjong went back to the kitchen and placed the potion on a boil again before putting in the garlic to cook in the concoction. Once it was done, he poured it in two more glasses.

 

    “Oh! Don’t forget the bat-blood juice for Sunggyu!” said Dongwoo.

 

    “Oh, yes, thank you Dongwoo-shi!” Sungjong brightly smiled before exiting the kitchen to bring the drinks to the bickering couple upstairs.

 

    Dongwoo smiled contently again before leaning back on the counter. Hoya appeared at the sight of his love smiling so beautifully.

    “Jagi-yah, what’s this smile about?” Hoya asked softly, still cautious in his approach.

 

    “Oh, nothing...I’m just happy that Sungjong is so helpful and understanding…”

 

    Hoya was taken aback by Dongwoo ' s subtle harshness in the way he said that last statement; the pink haired beauty clearly was still not happy with him. The potion Sungjong made did not work at all and what’s worse is that Dongwoo didn’t even pretend to show that it worked as a placebo.

 

The tiger hunter finally managed to spit out what he intended to say despite Dongwoo avoiding him.

 

“Dongwoo...you remember that Gyu is a vampire right?”

 

Dongwoo gasped loudly and his eyes widened, “OMO. SUNGJONGIE, SUNGJONGIE, STOP, WAIT!”

 

“AHHHHCKKK! BLOOOD! SUNGGYU, BLOOD!” came Woohyun’s voice from upstairs.

 

“APPA, BLOOD, THERE’S BLOOD COMING FROM YOUR NOSE!”

 

“QUICK, CHECK HIS BLOOD PRESSURE!”


 


Sorry guys, this chapter might've been a little too slow. :\