In my dreams, Just Like you Used To

Meant To Protect You

It has been three days since the last time Dara talked to YG. It was the first and last time that they have spoke, but somehow she felt assured that something was done even though no information was given to her. It was a normal Day at the University that she is attending. She was occupying a table inside their cafeteria. Although she was the Empress, she was treated as a normal student inside the campus by the professor, which she liked. But, the students were not. Some are trying their best to impress her and be friends with her. She just gave them an apologetic smile and stayed silent as usual. She never entertains any suitor or any person that tried to get close to her. She knew all they wanted was to have popularity. A friend of an empress, who wouldn’t be proud of that? She let out a sigh and continued to read the novel she brought with her.  She was startled when someone smashed her book on the table and sat down. She looked at the person and stared at her.

 

“Oh, Mianhe, tokki. I am just so pissed today.” It was her cousin, Bom.

 

“ Why are you so grumpy? Did the stores run out of corn , Bommie?” She teased. Bom gasped.

 

“They did? Oh no! Yah! Don’t say that! That would have to be the worst day of my life if it happens.”

 

Dara just chuckled a bit.

 

“”Why are you so upset anyway?”

 

“ I wanted to watch a movie but omma wouldn’t want me to . She said that it’s not safe and is worried that something might happen to me. I mean, yes, it sure is not safe but…ugh! Whatever. I’m just tired of having this life.  I didn’t wish to be a daughter of a duke. I just want a normal life.”

 

Dara could only sigh. She felt the same way. Before his father was abducted Bom, Sanghyun and her had a normal life like that of a teenager. Although, there were body guards and all but they can still go out and have fun.

 

“ Auntie just wants you to be safe. Don’t worry, Bommie, everything will go back to normal once father is rescued.”

 

Bom nodded and gave her a smile.

 

“How are you by the way? I’ve heard from appa that you asked for the help of the alliance.”

 

“I’m doing well but I’m still worried about appa of course. Yes, it was the only way to get him back to us.”

 

Dara chose her words carefully. Although she was her cousin, she knew she shouldn’t be talking or giving too much information. She trusts Bom, but she didn’t trust the environment she’s in right now. There might be cameras hidden to check on her.

 

Time passed by quickly as the day ended. Dara arrived at home and saw the boys playing video games in the living room. A smile painted on her face. She was happy that Sanghyun is comfortable with the boys and he looks happy. At least, it was one of those times where he forgets the situation that they were in.  She woke up from her trance when she heard her phone ring. It was Bom calling her so she answered it.

 

“ Yes, Corn monster, what do you want?”

 

“ Very funny, you rabbit.”

 

She giggled.

 

“ What do you want, Bommie?”

 

“ Well, after throwing tantrums and what not, my parents finally agreed to let me watch a movie! Isn’t it amazing? Imagine what else I could get if I do it again!”

Dara could only imagine the crazy look Bom has right now. She always gets herself into trouble and she was always there to save her .

 

“ So I assume that you want me to come with you?”

 

“Since when have you been this smart, Dara-ya?”

 

“I’m not smart. You’re just so predictable,Bom-ah.”

 

“Yah! Whatever. Anyway, should I pick you up or should we meet somewhere?”

 

“Uhm, Let’s meet up at the mall. I’ll just take a quick shower .I’ll call you when I’m on my way,arasso?”

 

“Arasso. Don’t take too long ,santokki! See you!”

 

Dara startled a bit when she saw Jiyong looking at her with his brows creased. His eyes were staring at her. He had this Are-you-crazy look on his face.

 

“ Uh,Jiyong, is there something you need from me?” She asked curiously.

 

“You can’t go out.”

 

Those words made her raise her brows.

 

“What? Why not?”

 

“Me. ”

 

“I will be meeting with my cousin. We’ll just watch a movie and then go home after that.”

 

“You can’t. It’s not safe. You have to follow what I say, Dara. I should always stay beside you at all imes to make sure your safe. If you haven’t begged for me to stop following you at school then I should be attending the same classes as yours. ”

 

“ I know what I am doing. I am the empress. Do as I say.”

 

“You’re not the boss of me. You asked for our help and you agreed to obey us. Always.”

 

“Fine. You can come with us. But I don’t want anyone else. Just you. I don’t want Bom to suspect anything.”

 

Jiyong smirked.

 

“I always knew you had a crush on me.”

 

“Wh—what did you say?! Why you! Ugh! I can’t believe I asked for this! I’m going! I hate you!”

 

Dara pouted and immediately went to her room. Jiyong watched her with a smile on his face. Did she ever know how cute she was when she gets flustered and all? He shook his head and went sat on one of the sofa in the living room. Although there were five men noisily fighting over a video game, his thoughts were not with him.

 

He was in deep thinking trying to recall his conversation with YG.

 

FLASHBACK

 

Jiyong was asked to stay inside YG’s office. The head master said that they have to talk about something else before they meet the royal family.

“You do know that you have been a son to me and I never would want you to be any harm. When you asked me you wanted to be part of the alliance, I declined but you told me that this was your fate, just like your parents. You are doing a great job, Jiyong. Even greater than me and anyone else in the Alliance but the problem that we are facing right now is different. We have a strong Clan that we’re going against. But I will only be asking you of one thin and this will be the toughest part of this mission. I want you to personally guard the Dara even if it means giving up your life.”

 

“ I understand, uncle.” Jiyong said without hesitation.

 

He knew that joining the alliance is just like signing a contract with Death itself but he never backed down any mission. He wanted to be like his parents who died in a mission. They were inside the car with the empress, which was Dara’s mom that time, when it exploded. It was three years ago when a war with the FIDE Triad was going on. Dara and his brother was then sent abroad to be secured.

 

The alliance was built to protect the government, especially the royal family themselves and never did he have any grudge to Dara or Sanghyun. He never blamed them for losing his parents. But the death of his mom and dad made him promise to protect the people that they, too have protected, even if it means dying for them.

 

“I know this is too much to ask but you know that the emperor himself is a good friend of me and your dad and we swore to each other to take care of the ones they love when they are not around. I want to save Joon Hee. And I want you to watch Dara while I’m gone to fetch his father.”

 

“I will be doing my best, uncle. I will protect her. I was meant to protect her.”

 

Jiyong had never kept his eyes away from Dara. He was there watching her sleep. She did not know that there are hidden cameras all over the house and the university where she was studying. Even inside her car, he placed one. He also placed a tracking device on her phone. He did it when she was sleeping. Creepy as it may sound but he has to keep her safe and protect her at all times. He strongly disagreed when he told her not to come to the university but he complied when he saw how sad her eyes were. But he was always there wherever she goes. 

 

He sees her beautiful smile whenever some of the press takes pictures of her. Although it did not reach her eyes, it was still a beautiful smile. She saw her wear a mask every day, pretending to be a strong woman when deep inside her eyes, he sees a little girl screaming to get out of all these mess. Despite all the pain she is feeling, he never saw her cry. Whenever he sees on his screen that she is about to go to sleep, he always zoom in to see her stunning face. She never cried herself to sleep, but she always takes her mom and dad’s picture and hugs it till she falls asleep. He saw everything and it was breaking his heart.

 

She was still selfless; she bottled everything up and never shared her pain to anyone. She even denies herself with the pain that she is feeling.

 

For the past three days, he knew her more even though they are not talking too much with personal things. He had to stand beside her every meeting she has to go to. He had to stand beside her silently and let her feel she is safe.  He wished he could take her pain away. He wished he could end all these so he could see the old her. He promised himself that he will do everything to keep her safe, to protect her from all the harm that this situation might put into. He has to. He was meant to. He should make sure that he would be able to see her smile genuinely like the smile she did a while ago and like the smile she gives him in his dreams. 

 

" In my dreams, like you used to."  he told himself as a smile was crept on his lips.

 

......

 

so my heart is breaking because f jiyong's instagram update. But what the heck1 that doesn't mean they are together already, right? i can even call my friends ,dear.KEEP THE FAITH, APPLERS. nothing's ben confirmed yet. :) enjoy the chapetr and I hope to hear from your comments. Annyeong. :)