Chapter 4

Apple Cheeks and Coffee Drinks

It wasn’t only Jongdae and Sehun getting tired of the obvious flirting between their friends.  No, not at all.  The two flirting were also tired of it, maybe even more than them.

Every day, the two of them continued to give of subtle invitations of romance, and every day the two grew more tiresome from the game they played.

Maybe they only had to wait until one finally cracked.

Maybe.

~

On a day before either of them cracked—if they even would—, Jongdae began trying his best to keep them with only each other.

“So, I have this sudden meeting to go to with a few other workers on our project they won’t be able to make it.”  Lies.   “Then, many workers are out for a religious holiday I don’t know about so they can’t come in.”  Or, Jongdae called them and told them not to come in.  “And finally, a few other workers are heading out into the city to get ideas out there in society.  Don’t worry I approved.”  AKA forced them to leave.  “Well, what I’m basically getting at is it’s only you two today.”  Jongdae knew that it might be kind of stupid to give some staff the day off as well as send some to the city with Yi Fan, they might just end up drinking and doing no work.  Either way, Jongdae still considered himself young and wanted to live with no regrets.

Luhan nodded his head, knowing full well that even though Jongdae and him were friends, the younger wouldn’t hesitate in pulling the ‘I’m your boss’ card.  Minseok, on the other hand, could easily question his business partner.  But he didn’t.  Why?  Maybe it was because of the drinks he drowned his emotions in last night, causing him to have a hangover.  Or maybe it was because Minseok was looking forward to a day all alone with Luhan.  Luhan hoped the second one was true.

Minseok nodded too.

“Perfect.”  Jongdae turned around and began walking away.  “Bye—” He turned, “Don’t get into too much trouble.”  Jongdae winked and both boys blushed profusely.

~

“How much sleep have you been getting?”  Minseok asked or more correctly interrupted, while Luhan was in the middle of telling his boss how to advertise their plan and how the creation of the drinks has been going.

“W-what?”

“How much sleep have you been getting?”

Luhan shrugged, “Enough.”

Minseok stood up from his chair and walked up to Luhan to get a better look at his face.  “You have bigger bags under your eyes than Tao.”

“So?  Luhan questioned as he turned his head away and pretended to be very focused on something.

“Tao’s are natural.  Your’s aren’t.  How much sleep have you been getting?”  Minseok persisted.

Luhan sighed, giving up, “Four hours a night.”

Minseok gasped, even though he had slightly been expecting it.  “Luhan, you need more sleep than that!  Why haven’t you been sleeping?”  In reality, Minseok knew that caring about Luhan so obviously might show how much he liked the other, he couldn’t really help it.  Knowing that someone you care about, especially if it is romantically, is suffering, it’s difficult to not do anything.

“I’ve been too busy with all these new ideas swarming around my head.  I’m too anxious to sleep.”  He shrugged again.  “I am really fine, Minseok.”

“How are you shrugging at this like it’s nothing?  This is so important, you’re being sleep deprived.  Luhan, you need to sleep!”

At this point, Luhan couldn’t really help the blush that grew on his face, there really wasn’t fighting against Minseok, against his boss and crush.  “I know you’re right, Minseok.  It’s just kind of hard to sleep and I don’t wanna wake up late because not only would I miss work, but I kind of like the time we spend together in the mornings.”  Luhan as spewing out of his mouth at this point.  He originally wanted to reason with Minseok about his struggles, but ended up talking about how spending time with the older man was something he did not want to miss out on.

Luhan risked looking up to see Minseok looking at the ground and blushing.  Luhan was relieved that Minseok didn’t seem weirded out; however, that did leave a very important question to be begged.  A question that had been asked aloud and in the head of the man who was curious before.  This time, the positive answer was more probable.

Does Minseok like him?

Minseok finally gulped back the uneasiness someone got around someone they liked.  He hated the feeling and how it could arise or be replaced by comfort.  “Okay, but, um, you still need sleep.  Like, right now.”

Luhan responded quickly, smiling sheepishly and scratching the back of his neck, “Oh no, don’t worry.  I’ll be fine for the rest of the day and will promise to sleep well during the weekend.”

“Nonsense,” Minseok grabbed Luhan’s wrist, tempted to grab his hand, and began pulling him.  The waltzed from Luhan’s office to Minseok’s with almost no one else in the office, it was just them.  “You can take a nap on my couch.  It’s fine and comfy.  Maybe I’ll just join the people in the city or work on the project by myself, but I need you to sleep.

Luhan gave a small nod and slumped onto the couch.  Wow, it really was comfortable, like a cloud.  He was almost out, but he needed to talk to Minseok one . . . last . . . time . . . “Minseok.”

The old man had yet to leave and was peacefully smiling while watching Luhan drift off.  “Yes?”

“Thank you, for everything.  You’re perfect.”  And then he was out like a light, not even thinking of the massive compliment he gave Minseok.

In response, Minseok flushed red once more and stayed there until regaining his sanity.  He shook his head, took a deep breath in, and proceeded to leave the rather cute blond alone.

~

“Luhan, it’s time to wake up,” Minseok cooed as he ran his hand through Luhan’s hair.  Originally, he was going to gently shake him awake, but as he looked at the younger, he began to wonder how soft his hair would.  It was very, incredibly soft.

The younger groaned and then maneuvered so Minseok could pet more of his hair.  Cute.  His boss ended up smiling while his heart ached.  He wondered if this was something they would do as a couple.  Luhan would lay his head in Minseok’s lap as they watched television and Luhan slowly drifted off to sleep.

It was hard.  Oh-so hard to look at someone, someone who you loved and not be able to express those feelings.  Minseok couldn’t tell Luhan what he felt.  He couldn’t hug Luhan, or kiss him.  All he wanted to do was lean down and kiss the lips of a grumpy Luhan, but he couldn’t.  The pit of his stomach dropped when he thought about going through life and never kissing Luhan’s pink lips.

And it was driving him crazy.

“Come on, Luhannnie.  I brought lunch,” Minseok tried to persuade as he lifted the take out bag and moved it close to Luhan’s nose.  He was hoping that if he woke Luhan up, the boy’s chatter would distract him from his sadness.

The sleeping boy sniffed the food and groaned almost scandalously.

Minseok could tell that meant he was going to wake up.

Eventually, Luhan opened his eyes and slowly sat up.  “Hi,” He mumbled as he scratched the top of his head and rubbed his eyes until they were red

“Afternoon,” Minseok nodded as he handed over Luhan’s food to him.

Luhan closed his eyes and took a deep inhale, it smelled so amazing.  He looked down at the package and read the label on it.

Zhang’s.

Luhan smiled and looked up at Minseok with knowing eyes.

The older shrugged, “Just a blast from the past.”

Zhang’s.

It was where they went for dinner a few weeks back.  The two had so much fun as Luhan had Minseok try food he knew his boss wouldn’t like.  They laughed, flirted, and ended the night on an incredible note.

It was a good memory, and a sad one.  In reality, the two could have easily been seen as a couple and then reminded both of them that they were, in fact, not a couple.

After Luhan recalled the happy, yet sad, memory, he smiled to Minseok and the older boy happily gave one back.  Luhan looked down and opened the bag and, of course, his favorite dishes were inside.  Of course, Minseok would remember that.  He wondered if Minseok had any dishes he liked enough from the place that would provide him with an enjoyable lunch.

If they were a couple, Luhan couldn’t help but think that at this moment, he would lean over and kiss the smiling man.  Except he couldn’t, because they weren’t a couple, he couldn’t do anything he wanted to because they weren’t a couple.  He smiled through the pain, thinking about how good of a couple they would make.  At least he had that to hold onto.

So instead, Luhan smiled to Minseok, said, “Thanks,” Before pulling out the food.

~

Sehun, over time, started visiting Luhan at work more.  He always said he was bored or surprising Luhan with his wonderful presence, but in reality, he would go talk with Jongdae to see how the not-so-couple couple was doing.  Luhan may always talk to him about Minseok, but it had been so sa lately that he could barely stand it.  Luhan would talk about all the cute things that happened between them that day, but then get very sad knowing that nothing was as a couple and not kisses or hugs occurred during the day.  He really liked kisses and hugs.  It felt good to get an outside opinion on how the two were doing.

Today, however, was not like that.  Sehun was simply bored and wanted entertainment.

Kyungsoo and Jongin were currently on a get-away and Luhan was working constantly.  So, as he decided because it was Friday night, he and Luhan would go out.

“When will you be done?”  Sehun whined as he played with something on Luhan’s desk.

“Soon, I promise,” Luhan groaned.  He was excited to be going out, but the work he had to do might go undone.  And that couldn’t happen.

“You said that already!  I want a time!  A minute countdown!”

“Yeah, well it’s still true!  Why don’t you just wander around for a bit?  Go bother Jongdae, you two have been awfully friendly.”

“I don’t like him, you know.  We’re only friends,” Sehun retorted as he stood up.

“I know, and he has made it apparent that he doesn’t like you either.”

Sehun smiled, “Okay.  Well, I guess I’ll just go hang out with him for a bit.”

“Bye.”

As Sehun walked out of Luhan’s office and began his trek to Jongdae’s, and idea popped into his head.  ‘Oh, Jongdae!”  He called as he walked into the office with a smirk plastered on his face.

The called man looked up from his computer.

“You and Minseok wouldn’t happen to have plans tonight would you?”

~

“Lulu, good news!”  Sehun giggled as he waltzed back into the office.

“What is it?”  Luhan called back, not bothering to look up from his paper.  He was almost finished.  So close!

“Minseok and Jongdae are joining us for dinner and a movie tonight!”

Luhan then looked up at his work.  “M-Minseok?”

“Yeah, isn’t that great?”

“It is, but I just—”

“Lulu, I know you like him.  Don’t worry, I’ll make sure you don’t embarrass yourself,” Sehun confirmed as he sat down on Luhan’s spare chair.

“Okay . . .”

“Come on, Lulu, it’ll be fun.  You get to spend time with your best friend, a friend, and your crush!  Also, you can totally rack up friend points against you bosses so they won’t fire or punish you,” Sehun spoke, “Unless, you or Minseok are into punishing and it’s consensual, but otherwise—”

“Sehun!”

“Sorry, sorry, just thought I should clarify.”  Sehun raised his arms in defeat.

“Ugh, whatever.  I’m done so go get Minseok and Jongdae while I pack up,” Luhan groaned as he began putting his things away.

“Okay!”  Sehun exclaimed before practically skipping out of his office.

~

“Whose car are we going to take?” Jongdae asked as they walked out of the building.

Everyone stopped.

“I don’t know . . .” Minseok answered.

“Oh, oh, oh, I know!”  Sehun cheered as he raised his hand.  “So, Jongdae, you take a taxi to work, right?”

Jongdae nodded.

“And you two carpool?”

Luhan and Minseok nodded.

“Well, then I’ll take Jongdae with me to the dinner place and Luhan and Minseok will go together.  That way, everyone knows where we’re going, and no cars get left behind.”

Luhan gawked, “That’s actually smart, Sehun.”  Luhan did admit that it wa smart, but it was also a way to get Minseok and Luhan alone.  He was incredibly excited to get time alone, but simply knowing that it was Sehun who planned it made him nervous.  Either way, he should just think about getting to be with Minseok.

“I can be smart,” Sehun protested while pouting.

“I know, it’s just, I didn’t expect it,” Luhan responded.

“Whatever, come on, Jongdae, let’s go.”  Sehun grabbed Jongdae’s wrist before pulling him away from the two.

Minseok snickered.

“Oh, shut up, Minseok,” Luhan groaned as he began walking to his car.

~

“I swear to God Sehun will replace me,” Minseok complained as he fiddled with the radio he had grown to understand.

“So, why do you care?  We’ll be each other’s best friends.”  Though I’d rather be more.

“I don’t know.  It’s just always been Jongdae and Minseok, Minseok and Jongdae,” The older pouted.

“Do not fret young thing—”

“I’m older than you.”

“I will make sure Sehun doesn’t replace you,” Luhan responding, ignoring the age comment.

Minseok stayed quiet for a few moments before speaking, “Thanks.”

~

A fact that Luhan had told no one, not even Sehun, was that he loved seeing Minseok eat.  It was weird to say that Luhan found it incredibly cute when Minseok would stuff his face with food like a hamster, but it was true.  Minseok could eat very well and was always making cute little noises to express his love for the food.  Today was much worse than any other day the two had eaten together.

This particular restaurant was known for how incredible and savory their food was.  Luhan was sure he would find it difficult to see Minseok like that and not fawn over his adorableness.

Minseok scrunched up his nose with a smile forming on his face.  He breathed in a large breath before letting out a small squeal.  He sighed, closing his eyes and resting his entire body.  “Everything smells so amazing.”

So cute.

“You’re staring,” Sehun mumbled as he gently elbowed Luhan in the stomach.

Luhan immediately looked away and began to blush.  God, why did Sehun make sure Minseok sat across from them?  Luhan guessed that they would be forced to sit next to each other, not that he would be directly across from him.  He was close enough to play footsie with Minseok, not that he wanted to, not that he was thinking about it.

“The food here is so amazing!” Minseok exclaimed, causing Luhan to look up at him.

“Isn’t it?”  He responded, realizing that Minseok was talking to him.  He put on a small smile to assure the older.

Minseok giggled, actually giggled, before putting another piece in his mouth and closing his eyes to take it all in.

Why is this happening to me?

~

“Oh, I’ve wanted to see this movie forever!  I hear it has tons of gore in it!”  Jongdae cheered as Sehun bought the tickets for everyone like the acclaimed gentleman he was.

Just then Sehun walked up to them, “Jongdae and I will go buy snacks, you two get seats.”

“We just ate, Sehun,” Luhan explained.

“So?  Movies aren’t movies without snacks.”

“Let him be, Luhannie.  Come one,” Minseok spoke as he began pulling on Luhan who very quickly gave in.

“Whipped,” Sehun and Jongdae both mumbled although neither Minseok or Luhan heard him.

The night then proceeded with Minseok sitting next to Luhan and occasionally shrieking and grabbing onto Luhan when a particularly frightening scene in the movie came up.

The younger was blushing and smiling the whole night.

~

“Are you sure you’re okay?”  Luhan persisted as he drove back to their apartment complex.

“Yes, I’m sure,” Minseok assured him for what must have been the hundredth time.  In reality though, he didn’t want it to stop.  He loved when Luhan cared for him.

“You aren’t going to have nightmares?”

Minseok, before responding, realized a way to get closer to Luhan.  “God Luhannie, if you’re so worried why don’t you just sleep at my house?”  Minseok never really did things like this, but it had been over a month and would do so much to get close to Luhan.  He, just like the younger, ached for kisses and hugs and just overall time with Luhan.

“Good idea,” Luhan responded a little too quickly.  It might actually be good to have more time with Minseok.  It may be full of awkward moments and weird blushing, but Luhan did really want to spend time with Minseok.

Minseok held back a gasp.  He didn’t think Luhan would say yes!  He was just going on a whim and hoping Luhan would spend time with him.

~

“You can sleep on the couch.”

“Okay.”

Minseok turned to Luhan, who was looking around at Minseok’s bigger apartment.  It was so cozy.  Luhan wanted to stay here forever.  “Are you really staying here?”  Minseok finally voiced.

“Of course, you were terrified at the movie.  I want to make sure you don’t have nightmares or night terrors,” Luhan responded after looking Minseok directly into the eyes.  He was completely serious about Minseok’s well-being.  He cared for Minseok and the idea of helping him with possible nightmares and spending his night at his house sounded like a perfect idea

Minseok nodded, “I’ll be fine, but whatever.  Do you want to watch some TV before bed?”

Luhan nodded and began making himself at home on Minseok’s couch.  Of course, it was incredibly comfortable, everything Minseok owned was incredibly comfortable.

~

Luhan woke up to the sound of whimpers and rustling bed sheets.  He had insisted that Minseok kept his bedroom door open and now he was glad that he did.

Slowly, although as fast as he could because he was very tired, he got up from the couch and made his way to the practically crying Minseok.  He hated hearing Minseok whimper, it sounded horrible.  Luhan would do anything to make it possible so Minseok would never be scared of sad again.

“Minseok, Minseok, wake up,” He spoke as he gently shook his friend.

The boy moved around even more, but eventually opened his eyes.  They were even smaller than usual due to the unexpected light from the hallways that leads into his bedroom.

“Luhannie?”  Minseok mumbled as the younger came into view.

“Minseok, were you having a nightmare?”  Luhan asked as he sat down next to the previously sleeping boy.

“Yeah, but I’m fine, don’t worry—”

Minseok stopped speaking when Luhan pulled him into a hug.  It was uncommon, as in, never happened before.  But Minseok loved it.  He loved the feeling of Luhan’s arms wrapped around him and Luhan did too.  The younger boy felt extremely warm and comforting.  It was like coming home after a long day and snuggling into your soft bed.  The cool, fluffy pillows.  The warm, big, and inviting blanket that would cascade over the person in protection.  Minseok could stay here forever.

“I’m sorry.  I should’ve taken you out of the theater when I realized you were scared,” Luhan pleaded as he held onto Minseok.  He wasn’t thinking straight.  All he thought of was how sorry he was for not taking care of Minseok.  If he did have any sense though, he’d most likely let go of Minseok and run all the way back to China out of embarrassment.

“Luhannie, it’s okay.”

“No it’s not.”

Minseok rubbed Luhan’s back.  “Yes, it is.”

Luhan pulled away, “I’m sorry.”

Those simple words broke Minseok.  He could see the red in Luhan’s eyes and the tears he was blinking away.  To him, a nightmare was nothing, but it was everything to Luhan.  And that made it everything to him.

He gave a weak smile, “I’ll be fine, Luhannie.  It’s in the past and you can’t go back to fix it.”

“Can I fix it now?”

Minseok was silent for a few moments before he nodded.  “Stay with me tonight.  Sleep here.”

Luhan nodded and moved around so he’d be cuddling Minseok.  Neither of them spoke, they didn’t even say a simple ‘goodnight.’

They both knew that this was going to be a mistake in the morning, but the two decided not to think about that right now.  All that mattered was now.  All that mattered was Luhan snuggling up to Minseok as he tried to make up for a dumb mistake.

Minseok and Luhan slept better than they ever have before.


A/N: I don't even know what this is, but I really like it.  I'll just leave it here.  I'm sorry.  I hate sad xiuhan, but like, I need that for the progressing story.  It will be happy soon though, I promise!

Please feel free to comment, upvote, and/or subscribe because that would make me happier than Tao when he buys gucci.

June 30, 2016: I have gone through and made edits to this sotry, mainly grammar and detail oriented.  I made the most changes to this one so it's pretty different.