Chapter 3

Apple Cheeks and Coffee Drinks

After Sehun had downed his third drink last night, Luhan dubbed him worthy of spending the night at his house.  In all honesty, Sehun was very good at handling his alcohol, but that didn’t make Luhan any less worried.  From then on, the elder had to deal with a slightly intoxicated, whiny brat that didn’t want to go to sleep.  The process consisted of Luhan yelling while Sehun laughed and the two practically wrestling because Sehun thought that Luhan pushing him back onto the couch was an invitation to do so.

 

That morning; however, Sehun was back to his old self. Not that his ‘old self’ was any better.  It slightly annoyed Luhan that Sehun wasn’t at the ready to apologize.  Three drinks was not enough for someone to completely forget what a nuisance they were the night before.

“Have a wonderful day at work, sweetie!”  Sehun joked as he quickly leaned in to kiss Luhan’s cheek before smaller could push him away.

“Sehun!” Luhan whined as he wiped away the kiss furiously.

All he got was a laugh in response.  Stupid Sehun thinking he could get away with anything.  He was so young and thought he was immortal.

Luhan groaned before reaching out and grabbing his things.  “Remember the plan,” He scolded while pointing his finger at the boy.

Sehun waved him off, “I will, I will, don’t worry.”

However, Luhan did have reason to worry.  It was Sehun for God’s sake!  He didn’t know what would happen.  For all he knew the guy would walk into the office in a clown costume and confess Luhan’s like for Minseok!

Oh no, Luhan suddenly felt sick.  This was not a good idea; this was not a good idea at all.

“Luhan, stop thinking too much about this,” Sehun mumbled before opening Luhan’s door and pushing the shorter boy out.  “Have a great day at work . . . and I will see you,” Sehun pointed at Luhan with a small smile, “For lunch.”

Luhan looked around in a daze.  It was like anything Sehun did was incredibly fast and never thought through.  The older man how no clue how he kept up with him every day.  Luhan sighed before beginning his trek to the elevator and down to Minseok’s car.  It was his turn to drive this week.

As usual, Minseok was already at his car, playing on his phone while waiting for Luhan.

“Good morning, Minseok,” Luhan spoke as he came up to where his crush was standing.

The older man was still looking down at his phone.  Once he heard his name he looked up and immediately smiled.  “Good morning, Luhannie.”

Luhan’s heart thumped.  He didn’t think he’d ever get over how Minseok look.  He’d never get over his gummy smile or apple cheeks.  He’d never get over anything.  Luhan was in deep.  He would especially never get over the nickname Minseok had given him.  It was very simple, but showed the endearment he had towards Luhan and made the boy’s heart beat just slightly faster when he was called by the name.

“Ready to go?”  His boss asked as he rounded to the other side of his car.

Luhan hummed a response and got into the car when he saw the lock open.

Currently, his heart was thumping for two reasons.  One, he was in a car with Minseok.  Two, Sehun was coming to his office later to meet Minseok.

What could go wrong?

Luhan mentally scoffed.  Practically everything.

~

It was five minutes until his lunch break and Luhan wanted to scream.  He was currently in a conference room with Jongdae, Minseok, Yi Fan and a bundle of other workers he never got very close to.

They were working on his idea.  Everyone was doing something.

Luhan was running through ideas with another person to find the perfect and suitable way to play out this advertisement.  Though he loved his project and wanted to do everything to make it perfect, his mind was elsewhere.

“Alright guys, I think that’s enough.  We can be done for today,” Jongdae announced.  A few people in the office would be going on their lunch break and from there, the group would never be a whole.

Everyone had lunch at different times and the group would only have a few hours in the beginning of the day to work.

Luhan stared at his things as he packed up.  He was too nervous.  Was it too late to call Sehun and cancel?

“Lulu!”

Speak of the devil.

Luhan—or Lulu and Sehun liked to call him—was suddenly engulfed in a hug.  Though it really shouldn’t be ‘sudden’ anymore.  Almost every time Sehun saw Luhan, he would be hugged by the younger boy.

Luhan groaned from the lack of breath to his lungs.  “Se . . . hun . . .”

Sehun gasped before letting go of Luhan, “Oh, I’m sorry, I forgot!”  Luhan had told Sehun multiple times that hugs were fine, but not breathing was where he crossed the line.

Luhan took a few deep breaths, “It’s fine.”

The taller boy smiled in response.  Quickly, his attitude changed, “Oh,” He began whispering, moving closer so only Luhan could hear him, “Where’s Minseok?”

Luhan smiled at the memory of Minseok.  .  He was whipped.  Totally whipped.

“Um, he’s right there,” Luhan mumbled as he pointed to a smiling Minseok who was talking to Jongdae.  He was blushing too much and didn’t want to seem obvious so he barely even pointed.

“Which one?”

“The one with a gummy smile and big cheeks.”

“Oh!  Yeah, he’s totally your type,” Sehun laughed as he grabbed Luhan’s hand and began pulling him towards his bosses.

“What are you doing?”  Luhan hissed.

You are going to introduce me to them,” Sehun replied.

Luhan groaned and waited for Sehun to stop in front of his bosses.

When he did, Luhan opened his closed eyes and smiled.

“Hey guys,” He smiled as he gave a small wave.  “This is my friend—”

“Sehun,” The youngest interrupted.  “I’m sorry to bother, but I just had to meet you, Luhan talks a lot about his work.”  Sehun have a sheepish smile and rubbed the back of his head.

Luhan had to admit, Sehun was a great at acting like he wasn’t a little and instead and shy young child who only had good intentions.

The two bosses looked surprised for a second before replacing it with a smile.  “It’s nice to meet you,” They spoke in unison.

They both held out their hands, which Sehun promptly shook, Jongdae’s before Minseok’s and Luhan wondered if there was a meaning behind it.

“I’m Jongdae and this is Minseok,” Luhan’s younger boss spoke.

“I know,” Sehun spoke, knowing full well how embarrassed Luhan would be.

Luhan had the urge to hide his face him his hands, but when Minseok looked at him he was frozen.  What should he do?  What should he do?  It was simple to answer what he wanted to do.  He wanted to run.

Although during Minseok and Luhan’s staring contest, Jongdae and Sehun continued to talk.  The two oldest had no clue what about the conversation because they were simply lost in their own world.

“Oh, actually, I’m taking Lulu out to lunch.  How about you two join?”  Sehun asked as he clasped his hands together.

That’s when Luhan realized something.  Acting, Sehun was acting every sentence he said.  Nothing he spoke was the true Sehun.  He planned this!  He planned to invite them to lunch.  What else did he plan for today?

“That sounds great,” Jongdae quickly responded.

“Lulu . . . ?”  Minseok mumbled under his breath, causing Luhan to blush.

Both Jongdae and Sehun seemed to not notice Minseok’s whispering, because they quickly began talking about where they should go for lunch.  As the two chatted, Minseok swept over to Luhan’s side and smiled.

“Hey,” He spoke, quiet enough so the two people blabbering wouldn’t be able to hear.

Luhan’s heart pumped because he only thought of one thing.  Two people sticking together when they’re in an awkward situation, it felt like a very nice connection to have with his crush.

That’s what Minseok and Luhan were doing.  Only people who are close do that.  Does that mean they’re close?  Oh God, Luhan hoped so.

“Hey,” He finally said back.

“It looks like my best friend is stealing your boyfriend,” Minseok guessed as he leaned in a little closer to Luhan.

And at that moment, Luhan swore that if he’d been drinking water, he would have spit it out right onto Sehun.

An awkward laugh erupted from Luhan, “He’s not my boyfriend.”

Minseok finally looked the younger right into the eyes, “Really?  You two are so close and I know you’re gay because of the ual preference you put on your resume and then Sehun is obviously gay.  Also the nickname he called you by.  I just assumed—I’m sorry.”

Sehun and Jongdae had stopped conversing when Minseok guessed that Sehun and Luhan were dating, but neither of them spoke up.  Except, with both of them being so talkative, it was only a matter of time.

“I can’t believe you thought I was dating Luhan!”  Sehun said, finally erupting into a fit of laughter.  He was now bent over, clutching his stomach, and trying not to pass out.

Minseok, who was never really used to confrontation, began heating up.  Luhan, who was just as mortified as Minseok, placed a hand on the elder’s back to hopefully calm him slightly.  The man’s head whipped to Luhan and stared at him in confusion until Luhan sent him a small heart-warming smile.  Minseok smiled back.

Luhan, though it was only inside his head, gave himself a gold star for thinking on his feet.

Jongdae, who hadn’t said anything in awhile, finally spoke while staring at his phone, “Guys, it’s like 15 minutes into lunch and we need to get going or else none of us will eat.”

Luhan, who had already gone through days like that, immediately panicked, “Yeah let’s go.”  He grabbed Sehun’s hand and began pulling him.  The other two followed right after as they made their way to the elevator.  “Maybe we should only go somewhere quick, instead of a sit-down place.”

Both Minseok and Jongdae scoffed from behind him, causing Luhan and Sehun to stop and turn around.  Jongdae answered, “You’re getting lunch with you bosses and owners of the company you work at.  I’m pretty sure it’ll be fine if you’re late.”

Luhan and Sehun made faces of realization, and then the younger replied, “That’s really cool.  Good job making friends with the bosses, Lulu.”

Luhan was nudged in the ribs by Sehun and immediately hit the younger back.  “Don’t say that,” He grumbled.

Jongdae and Sehun snickered.

~

“You know, it seems like our best friends are getting along too much,” Minseok commented.

He and Luhan were currently in the back of Sehun’s car, while Jongdae sat in the front.  Jongdae and Sehun may or may not have demanded the other two sit in the back so that they could control music.  Or so they said.  Luhan wondered if Sehun planned for him to sit with Minseok.

“Do you think Jongdae likes Sehun?”  Luhan asked, worry being hinted in his voice.  He didn’t think so, but it was a way to keep a conversation going and get on the topic of liking people.  However, Sehun had a problem with accidentally flirting and although he tried not to lead people on, he at doing so.

Minseok shook his head, “No, Jongdae is just like this around people he’s comfortable with.  Aka, kind of an to others

Luhan let out a sigh of relief, “Oh good, Sehun is the same.  Honestly, he not this kind all the time.”  Luhan laughed slightly, hoping the laugh made the comment funnier

Minseok smiled and laughed too, “That still doesn’t mean that they aren’t going to replace us as best friends with each other.”

Luhan nodded, “Don’t worry; we’ll just be best friends too.  That’ll show ‘em.”  That was a push and Luhan knew it.  He was testing Minseok to see his response.  Inside his head, Luhan was pleading for it to be a pleasant response.

Minseok let out a small and quiet laugh, “Deal.”

Luhan couldn’t have been happier.  Or maybe he could have.

If the question involved dating instead of friendship, that is.

~

For lunch they went to an American restaurant and ordered their very own meal.  In all honesty, they only went somewhere where they would get their own meals is because Jongdae and Sehun quickly found out they had different food tastes.

Oh, Jongdae and Sehun, little devils.  Luhan wasn’t one hundred percent sure if Jongdae was also doing this to get Minseok and Luhan closer, but it did slightly seem so.  That or they were actually becoming best friends and were going to abandon the friends they’ve had for years.

Though the possibility of the two becoming close was plausible, Luhan did believe it was all a ploy to bring out the red on their cheeks.

For instance, the two made it a point to always have Luhan and Minseok sitting together.  In the car, there and back, and in the restaurant.  A small booth that made sure their shoulders would be touching.

Another example would be when Sehun kept bringing up the randomest facts about Luhan.

“You know he can solve a rubix cube in mere seconds!”

“He got asked to be a trainee based only on his looks.”

“He is also insanely good and soccer.  I’ve seen him play, like, wow!”

Luhan was ready to hit Sehun over the head by the end of the lunch.  However, he did have to admit that it went pretty well and Luhan had fun.

~

When Luhan was hit with a wave of realization that Minseok may never be his, he felt like he was permanently on a rollercoaster.  It wasn’t fun at all.  His organs felt like they were floating instead of hanging and his stomach has butterflies.  Nothing helped him to get rid of the feeling or the thought that Minseok isn’t and may never be his.  Luhan wanted to cry.  Why couldn't he hold Minseok and kiss Minseok and let Minseok know that he means everything to the younger.  To most people, he just looked like his normal self, easily able to fake calmness when his insides were actually eating him.  However, nothing could get passed Sehun.

This occurred a few days after their lunch.  It was a dinner they, as in Jongdae and Sehun, planned while they were driving back to the office.  The night ended up consisting of take-out food, movies, junk food, alcohol, and a lot of very loud boys.

The younger would sneak looks at his friend throughout the night to see that he was either faking a smile or giving a very emotionless face.  Sehun also looked at his friend’s eyes, seeing the slight gloss over them, trying to make it impossible to see the sadness hiding behind the brown color.  The appearance caused Sehun to frown.

He needed to do something.  He couldn’t stand to see his friend like this.

“Hey Jongdae?”  Sehun whispered so the eldest of the four wouldn’t be able to hear him.

“Yeah?”

“I can trust you, right?”

Jongdae nodded, “I’ve never gotten so close to someone so fast, so I’d said yeah.”

Sehun nodded, “D-does Minseok, maybe—”

“Like Luhan?  Ever since the first day they met,” Jongdae confirmed.

Luckily, Minseok and Luhan were both so wrapped up in a conversation so they didn’t hear what Jongdae and Sehun were talking about.  Even if Luhan seemed quite upset, it didn’t deter him from talking to Minseok and possibly making him his.

“We need to get them together,” Sehun mumbled.  “It breaks my heart to see Luhan this distressed.”

“Luhan likes Minseok too?”

Sehun nodded, “Yup.”

Jongdae nodded in understanding.  “But how are we going to get them together while making it natural?”

Sehun then realized his problem, “I have no clue.”


A/N: So I feel like this chapter is super dumb adn rushed, but I PROMISE THIS IS SET UP FOR SO MUCH STUFF.  Yes, so please bare with me through this cring-worthy chapter.  Thank you for all the great feedback though!

Feel free to comment, subscribe, and upvote because that would make me happier than Sehun while drinking bubble tea.  :3

June 28, 2016: I have edited this chatpter to add in more detail and fix grammar mistakes.