Chapter 1

Apple Cheeks and Coffee Drinks

Luhan leaned back in his chair and let out an all too dreamy sigh and smiled.  Through the clear glass of his office, he could see his boss sipping hot black coffee like he did during every morning routine.  It was the coffee that Luhan had made him that morning, just like every morning, again, it is a routine.  To most people, this would be considered a normal sight, but Luhan loved the way his boss's nose would crinkle in delight, it was special.  So special that the normal sight of someone drinking coffee was replaced with pure delight because it wasn’t just anyone.

His boss, Kim Minseok, was known for his love of coffee—and the fact that he drank Luhan’s every morning made the younger boy's heart flutter.  The man had even based his job around coffee and it's many flavors.  Currently, Minseok owned a chain of coffee shops with his business partner, Kim Jongdae.

Luhan always made sure “business” was added into that fraction considering they were only friends.  Not lovers.  A trivial addition, but Luhan found it necessary.

The blonde boy contently sighed and looked back at his computer screen.  The illuminated monitor was currently stressing him out with it’s variety of options that could possibly end in disaster.  However, Minseok had the exact opposite effect on him.  God, wasn‘t he lucky—or unlucky—to have a boss like that?  Minseok was a Saint!  So kind to everyone.  It was rumored that even his rivals liked him to some extreme.

Everyone liked Kim Minseok.

Except Luhan.  Luhan loved him.

~

The crush had started so innocently.

After moving to South Korea, Luhan gained a job offer within two months.  He was asked to come in that morning at nine A.M—which was way too early for him—to be interviewed.

He was questioned by two men that day.  Kim Jongdae, co-owner, and Wu Yi Fan, language and foreign affairs expert.  After learning that Luhan was Chinese, Yi Fan began talking to him in Mandarin, even if it did annoy Jongdae.  The pair's banter was incredibly comical and animated, yet Luhan managed to hold back the many laughs that wanted to come out.

Luckily, both men were smitten with him and Luhan was quickly accepted to work at the company.

He had worked in their main building for two weeks and was finally settled in before Minseok came back from an extra-long vacation.  Jongdae had ordered it considering how much the elder had been working.  He said it was to, "Relax Minseok's mind and hopefully make him nicer than the cranky person he had been like lately."  The only time someone saw Minseok in a cranky mood was when he found himself incredibly stressed over work.

When Minseok first met Luhan, the shorter man had mistaken him as an intern and promptly asked for a cup of coffee to be made and delivered to his office.  "Hot and black.  Remember that," He had said, stopping on his way to the office and pointing his finger at Luhan’s face.  The blond followed the finger with his eyes, making him go slightly cross-eyes.  Although Luhan had always been outgoing and eager to correct someone he knew was wrong, Luhan was struck with silence by the man in front of him.

Maybe it was how small he was?  Or maybe it was his ‘round-as-apples’ cheeks?

Either way, Luhan found himself nodding and beginning to make coffee for his boss, stunned into silence, blushing over idiotic thoughts.

~

It wasn’t until a meeting, days later, when Minseok discovered his accident.

When Luhan appeared in front of him and other staff members to introduce a new idea for a coffee flavor, Minseok blushed in embarrassment.  How dumb!  Of course Luhan was the new guy hired to help the company with new ideas.  He just looked so . . . so . . . baby-like.  Young, like a fresh-out-of high school kid that needed something to start him up in a probable, future career.

Luhan, who had been avoiding looking at Minseok, finally risked a glance at his boss.  His shyness wasn’t only due to the small crush Luhan had formed on Minseok, but also because he had yet to tell the older that he wasn’t an intern.  On his first day, Jongdae had told him all about Minseok.  "He hates being wrong," He remembered Jongdae saying at one point.  His boss was wide-eyed and blushing because of his mistake and only Luhan knew why.  Honestly, he found Minseok’s appearance very adorable, but he wasn’t going to let that affect him right now.  He’d think all about the look later that night while he lied in bed, unable to sleep.

After stumbling over his words by mumbling something about apples, Luhan was brought back to his senses.  The rest of his report was rushed due to what he referred to as a major calamity.

Though Luhan wouldn’t admit it aloud, he knew why spoke of apples in his flustered state.  Stupid Mr. Kim and his stupid, adorable cheeks.

~

For the next few days, Minseok ignored Luhan, but Luhan refused to reciprocate the discount of his life.  He wasn’t one to avoid people and just because Minseok was cute-to-boot didn't mean he should become an introvert and ignore humanity.

Every morning, Luhan would make Minseok a cup of coffee and bring it into his boss’s office.  He’d place the white mug filled with black coffee on Minseok’s desk, smile, say, “Good morning,” And then leave before Minseok could respond.  Okay, so maybe he would act a little more shy.  Maybe he couldn’t bring himself to do more than make coffee and mumble good morning.  It didn’t really matter though, he wasn’t really looking for a solution.

The older man would always respond with a, "Good morning, Luhan," after his door closed.  Luhan wouldn’t be able to hear and Minseok would be looking down at the coffee, his mind running with unfinished thoughts that brought him to no conclusion.

~

One morning, Luhan didn’t come into Minseok’s office with the usual coffee and smile.  In fact, he didn’t come in at all.  It was obvious that he must have stayed home due to sickness, but Minseok couldn’t ignore the emptiness he felt when he made his own coffee.  He ended up taking one sip of his famous coffee before dumping it into the sink.  It just wasn't as good as before.  He wanted Luhan's coffee, he wanted Luhan.

When the younger boy came back the next day, he looked dreadful.  A day of rest was not enough for whatever illness he had.  His nose was red and the skin was peeling from how many times he's wiped it with a tissue.  His eyelids weighed down until they were only open a sliver, and his voice sounded incredibly nasally from the mucus refuging in his throat.

He knocked on Minseok’s door and came in with no coffee and a frown.  “Good morning, Mr. Kim.  I’m sorry, but I can’t make you coffee.  I’m still sick and I don’t want to risk your health as well.”

Today, Luhan waited for Minseok to respond.  He could feel his heart was pounding on his ribcage in fear.  He was expecting and “It’s okay,” or, “Feel better.”  He wasn’t, however, expecting Minseok to laugh.

In reality, Minseok didn’t expect himself to laugh either.  It just came out.  Huffing from the loss of air to his lungs, Minseok stood up and made his way to the sick, baby-faced man.  “Oh, Luhan!  I couldn’t care less about coffee when you look this horrid.  Come, I’m not letting you stay in this building.”  He patted Luhan's shoulder with a kind smile on his lips.

Before Luhan—or Minseok for that matter—could comprehend what just happened, the older boy was already out the door and halfway to the elevator.  Luhan quickly followed Minseok to the elevator and out the building.  He watched as his boss hailed a cab and got in when Minseok motioned for him to.  Minseok gulped down the lump in his throat, but it rapidly reformed.   “What’s your address?”  He choked out in the calmest voice he could muster.  The pair seemed to have such an awkward silence around them that even the cab driver didn't want to interrupt it.

When Luhan told the cab driver where he lived, Minseok noted that they lived in the same apartment complex.  His lips quirked into a small smile.  He was finally brought back into reality when he realized that a sick man was right beside him and he was violently coughing into his inner elbow.

“What are you sick with?”  Minseok asked, the smile fading and his eyebrows furrowing with worry.

The younger was taken aback by the obvious concern in his boss’s face and voice.  Should they really be this close?  They were just employer and employee.  Maybe Minseok was just like this?  Always caring for those who couldn't and could.  “Just a cold,” Luhan mumbled after his coughing fit had subsided.

Minseok didn’t even ask permission.  He just reached over and placed the back of his hand on Luhan’s forehead.  The sick man jumped in surprise, but didn't pull away from the warm hand.  He had never seen Mr. Kim act like this and it was honestly starting to freak him out.  Though he still had to understand why his heart seemed to like the sudden amiable nature.

“You have a fever too,” Minseok pouted as he retracted his hand.

Luhan gulped.  Why was Minseok so cute?

Cute?  What?  No, not cute.  Luhan could not think about his boss like that!

The cab driver stopped and both men turned to look out the window at their apartment complex.

For the next hour, Minseok took care of Luhan and made sure he would be okay.  He made a place for Luhan to rest on the couch so the taller man could also watch TV.  He rented a couple movies that Luhan said he wanted, bought some foods that wouldn’t upset Luhan’s stomach, and picked up some medicine to shorten the cold.  Even when Luhan explained that he didn’t have the flu and wasn’t going to puke, Minseok insisted on buying him foods that wouldn’t make him barf.

“Let me pay you back,” Luhan spoke, starting to get out of the blanket cocoon Minseok had put him in.

“No, no, don’t you dare.”  Minseok pushed Luhan back down onto the couch.  “Don’t worry about money for now, okay?”

Luhan nodded.

“I’ll be back after work.  Feel better,” Minseok said before closing the door, not giving Luhan a chance to retort.  Though Minseok had only known Luhan for a few weeks, he could tell that the sick man was incredibly stubborn.

Yet, why was Minseok doing this for Luhan?  The two were barely acquaintances.

~

When Minseok came back to work, Jongdae didn’t miss a beat in asking where he had been.

“Luhan was sick so I took him home and took care of him,” Minseok shrugged, nonchalantly.  He didn’t feel nonchalant though.  His head was spinning.

“Why?”  Jongdae questioned.

Minseok sighed and let his head fall into his hands.  There was no use in lying to his best friend.  “I have no clue.”

Jongdae scoffed, knowing Minseok all-too well.  They hadn't been friends for years for nothing.  His best friend always over-thought everything that came to him.  With Minseok being paranoid and Jongdae being care-free, it made the two perfect partners.  Business partners, that was.  Though Jongdae would admit he was biual, he knew perfectly well that Minseok wasn’t his type.

“Relax, Minnie—”

“Don’t call me that.”

“You’re a caring and paranoid person," Jongdae continued, ignoring the interruption.  "It’s normal for you to do something like this.  Remember when we were in high school and I hurt my arm?  You fed me for a week!”

Minseok sighed, “You forced me to.”

“And you obliged,” Jongdae retorted, knowing he made a valid point.

Minseok shrugged, “I guess you’re right.”

“I always am, “Jongdae smirked, “Now, get to work.”

The older business partner raised an eyebrow, but decided to not make a snide remark back to his friend about how Jongdae wasn’t his boss.  If anything, Minseok was higher up than him based on sheer maturity.

~

When Minseok arrived at Luhan’s, he didn’t bother to ask to be buzzed in.  He lived only a couple floors above, anyways.  So what if Luhan found out they lived so close?  Maybe it would even end up having a good outcome.

He knocked on Luhan’s door and waited for an answer.

“It’s open,” he heard a groggy voice call.

“HI Luhan, sorry if I woke you,” Minseok responded with a soft voice as he came into his employee's home.

“How did you get in here?”  The tired boy managed to ask.

At first, Minseok thought that Luhan had gone crazy and already forgot about him knocking seconds before, but then he realized what Luhan really meant.

“I live two floors up so I already have a key to the building.”

Luhan nodded a little bit before closing his eyes again.  Minseok let out a sigh of relief that Luhan didn't seem to care about that fact.

It was then that the older boy took in Luhan’s features.  His hair was damp and matted to his forehead.  He was clearly sweating under the 3 large blankets that coated and tucked his body into a heated world.

“Do you want me to take some of those blankets off?”  Minseok asked.

Without opening his eyes, Luhan responded with a, “I have to break the fever.”

“Okay," Minseok nodded.  He set down his items by the couch and looked around before remembering the foods he had bought earlier.  "I’m going to make you some soup to make you feel better.”

Luhan groaned in response.  Minseok took it as an okay and made his way to the kitchen.

After Minseok heated up the canned product and added some fresher items to help the sick boy, he buttered a bread roll and gave the meal to Luhan.  When the food seemed in good hands, Minseok started getting ready to go home.

“Mr. Kim?”  Luhan asked, skepticism running through his voice.  Could he call him Minseok?

“Hmm?”

“I’m really tired.”

“So?”

“I’m too tired to lift my arms,” Luhan whined.

By then, the short man had caught on, “You want me to feed you, don’t you?”  Minseok raised a questioning eyebrow that made Luhan blush.

“If it wouldn’t be too much trouble.”

Sigh.  “Okay.”

~

When Minseok finally left, after telling Luhan about having to feed Jongdae before of course, Luhan scolded himself.

He was perfectly capable of lifting his arms to eat.  Yet, some part of him wanted Minseok to stay and could only think of one way to make that happen.

Luhan was not weak.  He was a man!  A manly man!   Even if he was openly gay!  Minseok was his boss; he should not have a crush on his boss.

But Luhan had to admit that his boss was adorable even when he was tired.  That part made him feel a bit bad.  Making Minseok feed him when he had worked a long day and taken care of Luhan for part of it.

~

From then on, the two held steady conversations.  When Luhan delivered coffee with his beautiful smile, they would have a small chat.

"Good morning, Mr. Kim."

"Good morning, Luhan.  How is your workload today?"

"Eh, fine.  Nothing much for me.”  Luhan shrugged.  “You?"

"I have to finish papers that Jongdae were supposed to finish days ago."  Minseok groaned, but it wasn’t in anger.  It was more so the voice you get when criticizing a close friend.  Enough to know you’re joking and have no malice for them, but also making it aware of the loss it entailed.

"Ooh, bummer," Luhan responded, laughing a little at his boss’s misfortune.

"It is,” Minseok pouted before laughing at himself as well.

Even though the pair now carpooled together every morning, they somehow still managed a conversation though they could have talked about whatever it was in the car that morning.  And when it came to be the lunch hour, Minseok and Luhan would occasionally go out with each other for a meal.

Their relationship had grown rapidly since Minseok took care of him.  It started with Minseok awkwardly suggesting they carpool together and Luhan blushing and agreeing.  They decided not to play music during their drives to make sure that they would need to converse in order to pass time.  It helped quite a bit really.  The next step was when Minseok suggested they go out to lunch one morning when Luhan was complaining about never paying Minseok back for taking care of him.  It was a way for Luhan to repay him and for the two to get closer.

Eventually, with Minseok’s naturally cute nature, Luhan had to admit he did have a crush.  Just an innocent crush.  Or at least that’s what Luhan told himself.

Though it had never been said, the two could easily be considered close friends.

~

“Aren’t you glad I took you out?”  Sehun asked as he trailed to the bar seat next to Luhan.

“I guess.  It would be more fun if Kyungsoo and Jongin weren’t lip locking the whole time, though,” Luhan grumbled as he took another sip of his colorful drink.

Sehun smiled, “They just finally admitted their feelings to each other, give them a break.”

Luhan smiled back.  He always had a soft spot for love.  “Okay.”

Sehun smile grew wider.  “Do you want to dance?”  Sehun suggested.

"Didn't you just come back from dancing?" Luhan asked, quirking an eyebrow at his friend.

"Yeah?  So?  You need to have some fun too, Lulu."

Luhan nodded and got up from his seat to make his way to the dance floor.  He didn't have the motivation to argue with Sehun tonight.

With the music flowing through his veins, and previous classes in dance, Luhan spent a whole two hours dancing before finding and dragging Sehun away to get a drink.  Sehun, who had danced even longer, could have gone for much more time.

“Thanks for leaving me,” The older boy mumbled after ordering his mudslide.

Sehun laughed, “A cute boy was flirting with me, of course I would—”

Luhan didn’t hear the rest of what Sehun said because at that moment, Minseok walked in with Jongdae.  The older boy's smile played on his lips before he disappeared in the crowd of people.

“Lulu,” Sehun whined, shaking the shorter boy.

“Hmm?”  He responded, whipping his head to his best friend with Minseok still lingering on his mind.

“Were you listening to me?”

Luhan furrowed his eyebrows and shook his head, “Sorry Sehun, but I think I just saw my boss . . .”

“The one you find cute, or the other one?”

“Both.”

“Ooh, I wanna see the one you’ve been drooling over!  Where is he?”  Sehun clapped his hands together and practically squealed.  So much for getting rid of gay stereotypes.  Sehun hopped up from his chair and began looking around as if he knew what Minseok looked like.

“Oh no way, we’re leaving!”

Luhan, forgetting all about his ordered drink, pulled Sehun all the way outside and part way down the street.

“I don’t want to go!”

“I don’t care.”

“I want to see your boss!”

“I don’t care, Sehun.”  Luhan grumbled, pulling the hand in his grasp harder so they could get farther away from the bar.

“Wait—” Sehun pulled from Luhan’s grasp and when the older boy looked back, Sehun had a face of bewilderment.  The only thing that allowed Luhan to see Sehun were the dim streetlights on a late, dark, night.  “If your bosses are at a gay bar, does that mean they’re gay?”

That’s when it hit Luhan.  Could Minseok be gay?  The two had never talked about their ualities together.  Of course he had seen a few common stereotypes for gay men through Minseok, but he never questioned the actions because he was always too busy giggling over what his boss had just done.

“Lulu, I think you have a chance!”  Sehun said, pulling Luhan back into reality.  A reality where Minseok is gay might he add.


A/N:  Do you like it?  I really hope so!  I really love this idea so much.

Please feel free to comment, subscribe, and/or upvote because that would my my little heart soar!

June 27, 2016: I have gone through and edited this to make it more detailed and correct mistakes