Chapter Six

The Eligibility Test
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“So what you’re saying is, you fell in love with a man who was longingly staring at another woman?” Bom asked incredulously.

They were in the living room at Bom’s place. Bom was pacing the room, deep in thought, while Sandara was seated on a sofa with Jihyun on her lap. Bom stopped and glared at Sandara, who avoided Bom’s eyes and looked intently at the embroidered flower on Jihyun’s dress as if it was the most fascinating thing she had seen in her life.

“Earth to Sandara!” Bom waved her hand in front of Sandara’s face. Jihyun chuckled.

Sandara’s chest tightened. All she could think of was that yearning expression on that man’s face. Her eyes began to water as she remembered him; his expression full of love and pain.

“What do I do, Bommie?!” she said, her voice cracking. “Of all the people in the world, after all this time, why did it have to be a man, who would never love me back?”

Bom sat down beside her and patted her back. “It’s going to be alright,” she said.

Sandara rested her head on Bom’s shoulder and let her tears fall.

 “Just forget about him, Sandara. I know it’s hard but you have to. Don’t see him anymore. Tell your dad that Dong Yongbae is seeing someone. Then, I’m sure he’ll understand.”

Sandara nodded and looked at Jihyun who had a sad expression on her face too. “I’m so sorry, sweetheart,” she whispered. “For the last few days, Aunty Sandara has been only showing these sad expressions to you. I’m so sorry.”

“What’s with this gloomy atmosphere?”

Seunghyun was standing at the door with his arms folded. Jihyun turned instantly, hearing her father’s voice and stretched her arms, begging him to take her in his arms.

Seunghyun smiled and walked towards them and lifted his daughter on his shoulder, making her giggle. With his free hand, he pulled out an envelope from his pocket and handed it over to Sandara.

“Why the long face, aunty Sandy? Here’s something that’ll surely cheer you up,” he said and was about to leave the room with Jihyun when Bom asked him what it was.

“I met Mr. Park at the airport today and he gave it to me saying that it was a photo of Dong Yongbae. Apparently, he had forgotten to give it to Sandara.”

“What were you doing at the airport?” Bom questioned.

Averting his eyes, he said, “I went to see a friend off.”

“Who?”

“You won’t recognize him. A friend from middle school,” he said quickly and left the room.

“That’s odd,” Bom said, curiously. “I thought I knew all his friends.”

Sandara felt a bit suspicious about it too but didn’t dare mention that in front of Bom.

“Well, I’ll ask him later on. And there’s no point seeing the picture since we already know,” Bom said and rose up from the sofa. “Want some coffee?”

“Yeah, sure.”

When Bom left for the kitchen, Sandara eyed the envelope for a while.Taking a deep breath, she pulled the photo from inside and got stunned.

This is a mistake. This man can’t be Dong Yongbae! He’s-

“What’s wrong?” Bom entered with two mugs in her hand. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

Sandara lifted the photo and showed it to Bom, who gasped.

“Oh my God! Mohawk?! Your dad chose a guy with a Mohawk?!”

 

 

“What took you two so long?” Jiyong asked, agitated. He was standing by the glass wall of their office, with his back to it.

“Chaerin wasn’t done with her packing,” Yongbae sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter