Chapter Five

The Eligibility Test
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It has been 9 years since Kiko had left Seoul and so much had changed. She was on her way to meet Jiyong at his restaurant. Last time she went there, Yongbae was in the office and Chaerin was at home. So, luckily she could avoid coming across them. She wouldn’t be going there now if Jiyong hadn’t ensured her that Yongbae and Chaerin were busy preparing for their departure to China the next day and that they wouldn’t be present there.

If only she hadn’t gone out that day two weeks ago. She wouldn’t have come across Jiyong and she wouldn’t have been here in Seoul, from where she had run away so many years ago.

It’s okay. I won’t be staying here for long. Just a few more days until I make sure that Jiyong has given up on me.

Her eyes watered at the thought of it. Jiyong’s love was like a blessing to her from God. To think that he’d still be so fond of her even after how she had treated him back then. She felt like she didn’t deserve it. It hurt her. And she knew that with all these negative feelings that were residing in her, she could never give him the happiness that he deserved.

We can’t go back to those days. Jiyong has to understand that. He has to move on.

Her phone started vibrating. It was Jiyong.

“Hey,” Jiyong said, sounding nervous. “Umm...So where are you now?”

“I’m on my way,” she replied. “I guess I’ll be there soon.”

Jiyong chuckled, making her heart clench with longing; the longing to go back to those days, when they both were so happy.

“Seoul has changed a lot, huh?” Jiyong asked.

“Yeah.”

“Okay, then. Give me a call when you get here.”

“Okay.”

 

 

“May I know where you’re going?” said a deep voice from behind Yongbae as he was packing his suitcase.

Yongbae turned around and saw his father standing there with his hands resting on his waist. Yongbae smiled and gestured his father to sit on the bed. When his father sat down, he sat beside him and said, “I’m going to China with Chaerin for a few months.”

“China?! Why? When?” his father asked, surprised.

Yongbae chuckled.

“It’s about our restaurant in Beijing. It has been incurring losses lately. So, we’ll go there to take care of this issue.”

“Oh no! When are you going?” This time it was his mother who walked into his room and stood in front of them.

“Tomorrow,” Yongbae replied and looked questioningly at his parents. “What’s wrong? It’s not like I’m going abroad for the first time, you know?”

His mother sighed heavily and looked at his father, who looked back at her with a thoughtful expression.

“You see,” Yongbae’s father started. “We kind of have fixed a blind date for you.”

“What?!” Yongbae stood up at once and glared at his parents.

“Come on, son,” his mother said gently. “It’s about time you thought about settling down. How long do you plan to evade marriage?”

“Sorry, I can’t. I’m leaving tomorrow anyways so-”

“How about you two meet up tonight?” his mother suggested excitedly. “She’s a lovely girl! I’m sure you’ll like her!”

“Not possible, mom. I have to go to office to discuss some important matters with Jiyong and Chaerin.”

His mother got disappointed and asked his father, “What will we do now? We gave our word to Mr. Park.”

Yongbae’s father rose up and patted him on the back. “It’s alright,” he said. “I’ll talk to Mr. Park and postpone it until you return.”

Yongbae thanked Jiyong inwardly for saving him from this disaster and prayed to God that this girl that his parents had chosen for him would change her mind or something.

“By the way, when are you returning?” his mother asked him.

“About two to three months later?” Yongbae replied.

“What?!”

 

 

Sandara’s eyes were red and puffy from crying throughout the night. She had seen her father off at the airport, all the while wearing a sunglass, and now she was at Bom’s place, who was preparing ice cubes to treat her eyes.

“So what will you do now?” Bom asked and handed over a pouch made with ice cubes wrapped in a napkin to Sandara.

“I don’t know!” Sandara replied, exasperated.

“I think you should go and meet this guy first,” Bom suggested. “Meet him without mentioning that you are you. See how he behaves, you know?”

Sandara pursed her lips, thinking about it.

“You’re right,” she said. “That way, I’ll be able to find his faults and present them to dad!”

“You sound like you WANT to find faults with him,” Bom said accusingly.

Sandara covered her eyes with the pouch to avoid eye contact with Bom.

Bom heaved a sigh.

“Didn’t your father give you any picture of this guy?”

“No. And I couldn’t find any pictures of only him on the internet. There are always group photos with the three owners together. But I’m sure which one is him.”

“And how did you find that out?”

“One of the guys has a “Mohawk” and the third o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter