Impossible Wishes

Sticks and Stones

Story: Sticks and Stones Chapter 10 - Impossible Wishes
Disclaimer: I don't own Hetalia...

BTW, If you have a better name for this chapter, I'd love to hear it. Grazie!


The Ambulance had arrived at the hospital, and a nurse brought America to a room, hooking him to an IV and Heart monitor, along with a couple other machines. Afterward, the man asked England a few basic questions about 'Alfred', which he answered to best of his knowledge.

Every nation had a 'fake identity' given to them by their boss, that they were to use when dealing with other humans, but, considering how 'close' America and him were anymore, he didn't know a whole lot of information about the ID that America was given.

The nurse then nodded, before setting down at America bedside. He felt a ping of guilt, studying America's troubled expression as he slept. Soon after, he'd found himself ruminating on the past. Memories of America's childhood drifted through his mind.

"Oh, yay! it's been a while since I've had your cooking England!" America said, picking up a spoonful of whatever England had prepared. England smiled, resting his cheek in his hand.

"Yeah, I wish I could make food for you like this all the time." he said. America paused for a moment thinking to himself.

"Come to think of it...I've never really known, but... is this food the kind of stuff you'd call 'delicious'?" he questioned, a few crumbs sticking to the side of his mouth.

"Whaa?" England abruptly jumped up, his hand tense on the table. His face was a light shade of pink from embarrassment. "Ridiculous! Isn't it obvious that it's delicious?!"

The young nation looked down pondering it. He then gazed back up. "Oh, I see. So this is what delicious food is."

The Englishman smiled sadly, as he contemplated how stubborn he sometimes was. If only he'd known how bad his cooking was back then...

He couldn't help but wonder if it was because of him that America had such a weird selection of foods, which were mainly greasy and unhealthy. More than likely so, he supposed.

"Well, I'd better go back to my country." England said, reaching down to pick up his bag.

"Huh? you're leaving already?" America looked up, grabbing his shirt. He shook his head, tears present in his eyes "No I wont let you go back!"

"I'll be back! I'll be back! So don't worry!" England told him, pulling away.

"N...No! Don't go back...!" the younger nation backed up, letting his bangs shadow his face, as he wiped his eyes. "Being all alone in such a big place is scary! I'll be sad and lonely..."

After adjusting his bag, the Brit felt a small pain in his chest, seeing America, who was usually always happy-go-lucky, crying. He kneeled in front of him, sympathy in his eyes. He felt horrible about leaving America there all alone, but it's not like it was something that could be helped.

"I'm sorry." he gave a solemn smile, placing a hand on America's head.

"I know very well how it feels to be lonely, so I'll be back again." he promised. "So you do your best, too, and become strong."

America sniffled, a little happier now. "Okay."

He still remembered his reaction to how much America had grown by the next time he saw him.

"Hey, I'm back, just like I promised!" England called, as he came in the door. " I brought your favorite tea..."

He gazed up, trailing off into silence. He'd expected, maybe, for America to be a little bigger then last time, but instead, he was even slightly bigger and taller than he was!

"Oh! Yo! England!" America beamed, standing in front of him.

England gaped up at him in shock"...Eh!? Wh... but... You... Wha?!"

He'd been completely speechless back then. He was aware that different nations and colonies grew up faster than others, depending on their population, economy, and land in general, but in all honesty, he would've never expected any nation to grow up that much in that amount of time. To tell the truth, it still astonished him.

He wished he could go back. He wished he could cook for him again, and make tea for him. He wanted so badly to be able embrace his little brother, and to be able reassure him that everything would be okay. More than anything else, he longed for America to rely on him like he used to. He longed to be a 'Big Brother' at least once more; to hold him in his arms and protect him. To wipe away his tears when he had a nightmare, or when he was sad.

He sighed yet again that day. "What am I thinking...?"

There was no way he could go back. It was absolutely impossible. But still it didn't stop him from thinking about it. His chest hurt, as his eyes glassed over with tears. "That's right... There's no way I could ever go back..."

He mentally slapped himself, as he quickly wiped the tears from his eyes. "Why am I crying? Damn it, I'm used to this sort of thing, aren't I? I'm used to being alone, so why does it hurt so bad thinking about it?"

He gazed back down for a long time, until the silence was interrupted by a cheery voice.

"Hola, amigo." England's heart skipped a beat when he looked up to see Spain smiling in his face. He had honestly never been so startled in his life.

"Spain?! When the bloody hell did you guys get here?" he demanded, after looking over to see that the other nations had arrived.

"We only got here a moment ago. But you were so out of it that you didn't even see us come in." Spain explained.

"Oh, I see..." England sighed.

"Have they told you anything?" Japan wanted to know. England nodded.

"Unfortunately, no..." he replied.

"Sou ne..." Japan gazed away, rubbing his arm. "I hope he'll be alright..."

"Of course he will, Japan. He's a nation, after all." Italy smiled reassuringly. Japan glanced up, when an arm wrapped around his shoulder.

"Oui, Oui, I'm sure Amerique will be fine." France told him, pulling him close to his chest. "He just needs some rest."

Japan said nothing, but, by the look on his face, you could easily tell that he was feeling extremely uncomfortable. Soon after, France let go, and that was when America began to groan. The pale nation opened his eyes, looking around at them.

"Guys...?" America weakly spoke. "Why are you all here?"

Then he noticed the white walls, and realized that he wasn't at home. "Where are we?"

~ End of Chapter


A/N: What did you think? Hope you liked it.

Oui, Oui - Yes, Yes

Sou ne - I see