RANT #6 - cerberos

r i g h t i n t h e f e e l s • a writing contest >> that's closed, but a new one's linked in Chapter 80!! :)
 
 

RANT #6 HELLO cerberos=)

HEADER LEFT

WHAT YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT LOSS

 

I definitely like the idea of the plot. I feel that this is the fact that made me enjoy What You Don't Talk About When You Talk About Loss. The scenes gave off a very pleasant vibe (this contradicts the Angst genre of your story lol but I was indeed enjoying the story).

I think the title is perfectly suitable for this story. I remember before I started the one-shot, I was like "WHOA dat long title. What does it even mean?!". But now. . . Could not be worded better.

 

However, though I wouldn't name it unoriginal nor cliche, or anything of the like, but especially since it is a very short one-shot, the story is overall quite dull. There is enough description, but there isn't enough. I won't lie: I see so much potential in this story, and it disappointed me that you didn't bring the one-shot to a level where it would just blow the audience's mind. Make them go "whoaaa" and "oooh" and all that kind of jazz. 

 

The father dies, the son acts like he doesn't care, Dara knows better, and she's right because in the end he breaks down. I'll confess that I think this is a beautiful plot, and it is written well, but while I was reading it, all that went in my head was "Oh, that's nice". At the scene where Seunghyun sits on the tree and Dara is in her bedroom, "just like the good old times" ... that made me quite touched, and this is exactly what I was looking for when I opened this contest for the public.

But it wasn't enough, and this is what I mean when I feel that What You Don't Talk About When You Talk About Loss has so much more potential, because that scene was pretty much the only one that made me think the entry was beautiful. Maybe you'd think that the ending scene, where Seunghyun leans on Dara asking for forgiveness and comfort, would have been the winning scene - however, I read it, and thought a simple "Okay". It was a nice way to end the one-shot and I wouldn't suggest another way, but maybe it was the description that didn't quite win me over, but the ending was expected. And I was left feeling disappointed.

Which circles back to when I said that there was enough description, but not enough.

 

I had honestly expected a little more out of this entry. It was a little short as well.

To sum everything up, the entry was a nice read - I definitely enjoyed this one. There just wasn't a 'dayum' moment for me, and I adamantly believe What You Don't Talk About When You Talk About Loss has the capability to capture a moment like that.

THE CHANCE OF WINNING

 

If you are feeling discouraged from the words above, don't be. I am being 100% honest right now, and I'm telling you that I have not said a lie up there. I told you I found your entry a pleasant read, and I abide to that. 

However, the content you have provided for the readers wasn't enough for me to truly taste an amazing work. Albeit I'd like to congratulate you for participating because I am very glad that I read this one-shot :).