Chapter 1

Remember Me: Vanished Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, and a tragedy for the poor"

Two Years Ago 

All of us have our own wishes. Some people wished for luxury, a love life, good health and more other things. We are humans who only live once and one mistake can ruine everything. But as we continue to live in this cruel world, it would be a miracle if we wouldn’t commit mistakes and failures which are the main reasons why some people try to give up and wished so hard for them to be able to restart their lives. Failures are a required part of human existence after all.

To be honest, I’m one of these people who refuse to try doing something and gave up because of these tragic series and failures that once happened to cross my life in the past. But unlike the others, my wish to restart my life was granted by destiny. But I know that every wish has something to exchange with and that I presume that the exchange for that was my ability to success in life and so I only gain was all misfortunes.

I restarted my life at exactly 12:56 pm. I waked up in an unfamiliar bed, unfamiliar place and with an unfamiliar person beside me. And as I try to stand up, my feet lost its balance and I was like a baby who was only learning to walk. It feels like it’s already been months since I last move out from my bed. But what makes me more terrified was my memories were all blurry. I can’t even remember what happened to me the last few months and all I remember was my figure, crying in front of a wall.

But that was five years ago. I was gearing up for the day. For the past years in middle school, the day has come and finally, I will enter Manchester Empire Academy. My neighbors have been congratulating me for almost a week already. I really wonder when they are going to be satisfied. They even held a simple party because I was able to enter this prestigious school.

Being able to be one of the students who passed Manchester exams was the happiest moments in my life. Manchester Empire Academy is the most prestigious school in South Korea. It is known for being the best school that produces the most intelligent and talented students. But not everyone can enter this school because it is a very expensive academy.  And you can only enter in two ways: its either you came from a very wealthy family or you are a scholar who is superbly intelligent or you are excellent in studies. For scholars, it's not easy staying on the university. Out of 20,000 examinees, only 1,000 would pass and would eligible to enroll. And around the 1,000 freshmen scholars, only 50 or less than that normally makes it to the graduation.

I reached for my clock and look at the time; it’s already 6 o’clock in the morning. I got up from my bed, stretched my arms and go to the bathroom for a bath. After 30 minutes, I looked at my uniform hanged by the window. I hope this day will turn out great, I thought. I fixed my things I needed for the first day of school before going downstairs.

Right after I put my bag on the sofa, I enter the kitchen and found my auntie, smiling brightly at me “Juniel, have some breakfast first.” My aunt blurted as she placed the plates with food over the table.  And as usual, the main course is rice with a few side dishes placed beside it.

 I’m an orphan since I was 10 years old. My parents died in a car accident. Luckily my auntie, my mother’s sister adopted me. She’s not a wicked witch like we’ve always read in fairytales. She treats me like her own daughter, maybe because she doesn’t have her own family, and I’m thankful for that. Not that I’m thankful that she didn’t get to have her own family.

“Okay, auntie” I replied as I grab the top rail of the chair and draw it out under the table. I sat down and stare at the hot air, escaping from the cup-shaped rice and sigh. ‘What will I do once I enter the campus? It’s a school made for rich people, will I able to gather friends for myself?’ I thought when my nose catches the scent coming from the food in front of me, it smells ordinary. Or should I say, it completely smells nothing? Maybe because this is what I frequently eat in the morning and my nose already got used to its smell. Gathering my thoughts, I checked my watch; it’s already 7:00 am. My eyes widen as I remember that the class will start at 8:00 and I’m still going to walk and wait for the bus. “Omo! I’m going to be late.” I immediately grab the spoon and put too much food in my mouth.

“Juniel, eat slowly” My aunt said with a concern voice, making myself to slow down.  She walks towards the sofa, get my bag and bring it to me. “I’m sorry, auntie! I’m going to be late” I said as I immediately grab my bag from her hands and rushed to the door.

I lift off the bus and looked at my watch again. Yes! I made it on time. My neck feels that it’s going to rip off as I look upwards and scan my eyes on this meticulous intimidating gate. It’s so high and it’s my first time seeing something like this and between the railings, I can already see how beautiful it was inside.

As I enter the campus, my jaw dropped and I almost shrieked out loud. This school isn’t normal. Wow! Am I still in Korea? It was so beautiful that you felt like you’re living in a kingdom more than a school. This isn’t a dream but there are also people riding horses! I’m pretty sure that this school is also twenty times bigger than mine! I don’t even know if I’ll be able to find my classroom in this large place or even manage to see all just by strolling around in one week. After praising the structure of this school, I decided to go to administrative building to get my schedule but where could it be?

As I was walking in the hallway, I notice that all eyes seem to be peering at me.  Do I have a stain on my face? Why do they keep staring at me? I decided to look down to avoid their stares and ignored what’s happening around me. I even ignored all the amazing unfamiliar things around although I want to.

I halt myself from walking when I already found what I’ve been looking for. I had brought myself outside an enormous door with intricate outlines and words carved like: “Administrative office” I knocked on the door and swallow a large ball of saliva. My thoughts are all mixed up. My legs were trembling and I don’t know if I’m excited or nervous. But who wouldn’t be so happy and excited after passing an exam of a very prestigious school right? I was about to grab the handle when the door suddenly open with an old lady, welcoming me. She has wrinkles on her face and she’s not even smiling. I gulped as I walk towards her.

“Good Morning ma’am, where do I get my schedule?” I asked with a smile curved in my lips to show her a good first expression

 “What’s your name?” she asked in a cold voice while staring at me.

“I’m Jun Hee Choi, ma’am” I answered. My smile faded away as I put my hands on my back and play with my fingers. My heart started racing so fast while I try to avoid her frightening stare.

 She scoffed and said with a smirk, “So, you’re a scholar?” she gave me my schedule and sat back on her desk.

“T-Thank you, ma’am” I stuttered. I feel nervous around her. “Well, I hoped you’ll stay here long! Good luck!” she said sarcastically as she rolled her eyes and went back to her seat. I turn my back on her and immediately left the room. She’s giving me creeps. By the way, what does she meant about me staying in this school? Is there anything bad going to happen to me? Aish! She really gave me goose bumps.

While I was touring my eyes around the place, the bell suddenly rang. Some students suddenly bump into my shoulder as they lightly bow at me then run while others are hurriedly walking.  Omo! I wonder what will be my first subject. I looked at the piece of paper that the old lady gave me. I searched for my first subject as I looked at the paper. Oh! My first subject is Math! Yes! My favorite subject! MEH Room 204, I need to look for it.

After several minutes, I found it! I knocked on the door before I went in. I could see deadly glares from my classmates. Is it always like this here? I decided lower my head to ignore them and sit at the middle left corner of the room near the window. I placed my things under my desk. Suddenly, someone slammed her palm in my desk. The loud sound of banging echoed in every corner of this room, making the students gasped and turn all their attention to me.

“What do you think you’re doing? You’re not allowed to sit here.” One girl scoffed as she latched her hands on my wrist and look at me from head to waist.

 “What?” I glared at her then look at my wrist she was holding

“Wow! You sure have the guts, huh? You’re just a scholar. And you’re acting like an heiress. You’re just a poor dirty rat.” she insulted as she tighten the grip and slapped me with her free hand.

I froze for a moment when I felt a cold substance fell on my cheeks. I was hurt. Yes! She’s right! I’m just a scholar and I’m not rich. She removes her grip from my hand and rolled her eyes. “Look what we got here! Our poor little scholar is crying.” She scoffed. “You know, this classroom is almost clean and perfect because there are no dirty scholars around the room until you came” She said while crossing her arms under her chest.   I was about to walked out the room when someone tripped me. Everyone laughed at me. So, this is what the old lady meant by those words. I stood up and was about to run outside the room when the home room teacher arrived. I decided to go back to my seat and ignored what happened. I slump down on my desk as I my cheeks with my hands to ease the burning sensation that I got from the slap earlier. I think all of my expectations for this school were all wrong’ I thought when our professor called my name and asked me to introduce myself. My day was officially ruined before it had even begun.

Three months had already passed after that incident. It was still vibrant in my mind how the students and teachers welcome me on this school. I just thought, so this is how they treat unfortunate people like us. I gaze in the window beside me and observe the leaves of the shady oak tree, dancing with wind; it looks like they’re cuddling each other.  I smile in a thought of that when a dried leaf suddenly fall down from the branch. I frowned. ‘Will I end up being like that leaf too?’ I peeled my gaze off the window and look to our teacher who’s been saying words that I can’t understand. It feels like he’s using a foreign language although he’s not. I can’t focus at all; it feels like the time is moving slowly. I heard my stomach grumble as I rub my tummy. I gaze at the clock when the bell suddenly rang. Finally! A smile crept in my face as I thought that the boring class already ended.

 Our professor sighs and fixed his things. “Let’s continue this tomorrow” He said and swung the door open, leaving the room.

“Yes! It’s already lunch! Yehet! Yehet!!” That so called Chanyeol yelped as he rushes to the door with her sister following him. ‘For this past 3 months, they’re the only one who doesn’t mistreat me like the other students. Perhaps, for them, I’m just a waste of time’ I thought as I close my book and put it inside my bag.

Some of my classmate chuckled because of the action he showed us. He’s been acting like a prankster since I’ve known him while her sister is the opposite. My classmates stood up from their seats and exited the classroom while others are still fixing their things. It’s lunch already. But as for me, I will just stay here in the classroom besides I have no money for those expensive foods that they always bought from the cafeteria. I get my lunch box from my bag and placed it on my desk. I was about to open it when I suddenly felt paper balls being thrown to the back of my head. I turned around to see who it was. And my expectation was right. It’s Taeyeon and her followers. They walk in front of me and look to my lunch.

 “This is your lunch?” She scoffed then giggled with her minions. “So this is what squatters usually eat huh? Is that even edible?” She said as she rolled her eyes and turns her back on me

“Let’s go” She said as she flipped her hair and signal her minions to follow her. I sighed inwardly and closed my eyes. ‘This was normal though. She’s always been like that, Juniel’ I thought as I open my eyes again and was about to eat my lunch when our next professor entered the room and called my attention

"Juniel, can I ask a favor?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter