Chapter 2

Remember Me: Vanished Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    “The birds fly south for the winter not because it’s cold, but because they have wings.  Similarly, love has the ultimate flight pattern, and that pattern is plaid.” — Jarod Knitz

Winter is Coming 

"Okay! Class dismissed." Mr. Lee announced as all of my classmates stood up and exited the room. I closed my eyes for a moment and inhaled air. My shoulder goes up and turns back to its form as I open my eyes again and arrange my things above my desk.  ‘These days were really tiring’ I thought. We need to prepare for our major exam this month so we really need to focus in reviewing than to hold some activities.

"Yah! Juniel" I heard Chanyeol yelled, calling my name. I lifted my head up to see him with scowling face. Did I do something wrong? Peeling my gaze off him, I put my attention back to my things again. Why do I always have so many things scattered on my desk?

"Why?" I asked, still not looking at him. I finished fixing my things and put it one by one inside my bag.

"Aish! Why do you constantly let yourself get bullied by those brats? Like Sa Ra and I said, that if you're in trouble don't hesitate to call us," He complained as he settle down himself on the chair beside me.  Rumors on this school really spread fast, especially, when it comes to bullying.

"Wh—at do you mean?" I stuttered while slowly looking at him with a fretful chuckle. I really know what he means by what he asked. I just can’t find the right words to utter.

He leaned forward, "Do you think I will not know that 2COOL bullied you again?" He said. I sighed and gather all my thoughts that I needed to explain to him. I forgot that he’s a member of that popular clique. Rumors must be told to them first before it can even spread around the campus.

"Okay! Look, Chanyeol. Not all the time you're perpetually there to protect me. Also, I don't want you two to get in trouble because of me." I explained, pleading for my excuse to be accepted.

Chanyeol looked at me with a worried look and said that they are my friends so I can always ask them for help but, I don’t want to be a burden for the both of them. They’ve already done so many things for me and I’m really grateful for that. But sometimes, I just want to know how I can manage these problems by myself and see if I’m strong enough to don’t mind them as long as possible. Fighting back will only make the situation worse, I guess.

"Fine, I got your point. But I can't promise you that I will just stay firm and watch you get bullied." He stated before he pushed my head downwards and ruffles my hair. "By the way, what did you actually do to Tae Yeon?” he said, “Why did she treat you like that?"  

I placed both of my palms on my skirt and answered unwillingly, my eyes looking to my right and left. "Actually, I don't know. Ever since I entered this school, she treated me like that. Perhaps, for her I don't deserve to be here." I said.

Chanyeol’s face fell, an expression that shows that he shouldn’t have said what he asked. "Aish! Don't mind her too much. Has her opinion ever been important? She's not even worth your time. For us, you’re special." He smiled and raised his thumb. I guess he just wants to cheer me but really, I don’t even feel a single twinge of hurt.

While we were talking, a girl with wavy brown hair suddenly appeared behind Chanyeol and, grabbed the top rail of his chair. "It looks like the two of you are having a serious talk?” she said, “May I know what is it?" Sara suddenly blurted as she appears in front of us, locking her fingers at the right side of her waist.

Chanyeol turn around his head while pointing his index fingers to me. My eyebrows rose, questioning his action, "I’m just lecturing Juniel because she always allows herself to get bullied by those brats.” He said before pouting at Sara then looked back to me.

"You know what, Juniel. It isn't bad to fight back when you know you're right. Don't let them treat you like that." Sa Ra uttered as she placed her left hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah you’re too nice to them. Aren't you tired of being nice?" Chanyeol said before grabbing my hands to clap with him for no reason. He repeatedly does that while I stare blankly at the floor to think of an answer to what he said. Honestly, I think I’m already just used to what’s happening to my life right now. Perhaps, it is also because I grew up with this personality—afraid of hurting others but ends up getting hurt by them. I looked back to them before coming up with an answer, "Actually, I'm really tired. But what can I do?” I said, fidgeting on my seat, “I'm not a diamond like them. Actually, maybe, for them, I’m just a trash." Without my notice, my hands are already trembling. I really don’t like discussing things about my life.

"You're not a trash, Juniel. As I've said earlier, you're special." Chanyeol professed and gave me a sincere smile.

"Yeah, Channie is right. And remember that we're always here for you. Don't always belittle yourself. You're one special gem, Juniel. You don't deserve them and they don't you either. In this school, wealth is really important but those students don’t have what you have right now." Sa Ra preached.

Sara’s words suddenly confused me. I don’t think it is possible that I have what they don’t have. But perhaps it is something that money can’t buy. Those things are what I can only afford in this school anyways. "Is it something that money can’t buy?” I said in bewilderment.

Chanyeol laughed, "They don't have real friends like you do, Juniel” he said, “As you see, Taeyeon has a lot of friends because of her money and not because they're her real friends. And she's obviously, very jealous of you because you have us. Those brats only adore us because of our wealth. You know that Sa Ra is called as an "Ice Princess" because she experiences that everyone here will just use you to become popular and, me? I don't like fake people." Chanyeol said, clasping my hands this time

"What would I do without the both of you?" I said with teary eyes, smiling at him like my whole life would be so dull without him. Suddenly, Chanyeol’s hair was getting pulled by Sara who was probably irritated to our foolish actions.  "Just what are you two doing?” she said, “It's getting late. Let's go home." Sa Ra protest as she dragged me out of the room.

The light was quickly consumed by the darkness and all left was the twinkling gases of stars from afar. It was a very exhausting day today but glad that I could still manage to pull a smile because of my friends. Actually, I think it doesn’t matter how many friends you have. As long as you have real ones that you can be with at all time, its fine.

"Juniel, how was your day?" My auntie asked while wiping the dining table. Removing off my shoes, I quickly replied, “Nothing special" It is true though. There’s nothing special besides my new professor asking me to compose a simple song for his anniversary with his girlfriend.

"How about Chanyeol and Sa Ra?" she asked while turning on the gas stove. I looked for what she’s going to cook and found out that it was just another canned good again. "They're both fine. No need to worry" I said while getting a bottle of juice in the refrigerator.

"Are you going to study?" My auntie asked for the third time. I nodded in return, keeping my lips pressed together because if I keep talking, she might ask me another question again. That’s her way of knowing what really happened to me that day since she overly thinks and cares for me, as she said. "Okay! I'll just bring your food later, okay?" my auntie said before flashing a sweet smile. I just smiled in response before I went upstairs.

Journal entry #1725

Date: October 2, 2014

My professor asked me to compose an anniversary song for his girlfriend. 2COOL did their daily routine to me again. Sara and Chanyeol comforted lectured me. They sent me home right after that.

While writing an entry to my journal, a memory popped out in my mind. It was the guy who I saw at the dark alley when I was walking home. Honestly, I don’t remember his face anymore. All I could remember was the warmth of his hands that touches my lips and his warm embrace that sends off warm waves to my chilly night.

I stood up, get the bracelet from my drawer and lay down on my bed. Of course, examining it was the first thing that I did after I accidentally got this. And there’s only one thing that I can say: it is not just an ordinary bracelet. It is made of silver and has real crystals at both sides which only rich people can buy. But tonight, I noticed something that I haven’t noticed before. It has a letter “L” engraved at the back. Drown in my scattered thoughts; my eyes finally felt the heaviness of lethargy.

Walking down the road to school while looking at the bright sky and listening to the birds sing from the offshoots of this beautiful cherry blossom tree, its petals were dancing with the cold breeze of the morning causing it to spread all over the streets. A smile crept on my bare face, my heart skipping in delight.  "Winter is coming." I softly said before closing my eyes and breathing in the chilly air.

"Winter is coming." I abruptly stopped walking when I suddenly realized something. Is it just me or I heard a guy’s voice said the same thing? I looked to my right and found a guy, staring blankly at me. Maybe he also realized that we said the same thing. We stared at each other for a few minutes, blinking like there’s no tomorrow.  My eyes trailed down to his silhouette, noticing that he’s wearing the same uniform as mine.   

Having the feeling that he’s lost because he’s walking towards the wrong way, I gather all my courage in me and slowly raise my hands to point towards the right direction, "Uhmm..” I muttered, “If you’re looking for Manchester Empire Academy, it's that way"

Surprised was evident in his look. "Ah. Thank you.” He fretfully chuckle while rubbing his nape, “But I think you have misunderstood. I know the way to Manchester. Honestly, I’m just looking for someone”

Blood rushed up to my face before I laugh in embarrassment, "I—I'm sorry” I said, “I thought you're lost or something. By the way, it’s almost 7 o'clock. You're going to be late for school"

"It's okay for me to be late. I rule that school. “He said before a placid smile spread across his face

The wind swirled through the strands of my russet hair along with my cheeks that have developed a faint pink tinge from the unfamiliar feeling that send adrenaline rushing in me. The cold zephyr suddenly became warm and a soft smile traced my lips.

 He slithered his left hand inside his pocket and looked at his golden wrist watch, "Oh, look its quarter to 8 now; I believe you're the one who need to hurry,” he said while tapping my shoulder familiarly, “I guess you know what punishment you'll get, if you're late, especially to a scholar like you." He said and gave me a reassuring smile.

I blinked twice, not knowing what to do because I actually didn’t catch what he said but immediately remembers it like it was recorded in my head, "A-ah. Yes! I forgot,” I stuttered, “Uhmm... sorry! Bye!" I waved my hand and hurriedly went to school

My chest weaved in and out as I try hard to catch breath after the long run towards here. I ran my palms across my chest as I feel my fast and loud beating heart, trying to produce more oxygen for my lungs. I bent down, putting my hands on knees and trying to take a deep breath. I felt pulsation in my head and I had to close my eyes to prevent myself from throwing up. I could already see the door of my first subject—which is math, four rooms away from me.

When I was about to reach the door, the bell rang, a sign that the class will start after its loud ringing noise. I turned the door knob and slowly open the door when the noise ended. “Thank goodness, I made it in time,” I mumbled before heaving a sigh of relief

Cold air grazed at my bare skin as it was the first one to greet me before I enter the classroom. Second to welcome me was the cold stares of my classmate as if I did something wrong to all of them. Now I know why I can feel icy breeze inside a room with an expensive heater.  Making my way towards my desk, my professor called for my attention, "What is it again, sir?" I asked before arranging my things over my desk.

"Can you bring me all the books that I left in my office?" he said with a passive look, “Bring it to me after the class end, you’re absent in my class today" my mouth fell agape, shocked of the punishment he had given, “That was your punishment for being late" my professor continued while taking a sip of his favorite coffee

I was halted in my tracks when I heard his orders. Honestly, I really don’t like carrying books because most of it was heavy and thick and the office from here was very far, "But I made it on time before the bell rang, sir" I protested, chewing my bottom lip in annoyance

"No. You didn't make it on time Juniel, 8:01 is already late." My professor said, still not looking at me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter