IV

Pandora's Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first time Kyungsoo answered a call from an unknown number, he immediately put it down when he heard Jongin's voice. Now 109 missed calls later, he sits and stares into space. His apartment is small but neat and he crosses out another boring day on the calendar. Kyungsoo is still deeply scarred by what Jongin did to him. Even the term 'Jong-In' makes him cringe, because the horrible truth laughs at him every single day. From the bubbly Kyungsoo he once was, he is now the isolated and always unhappy Kyungsoo. He rarely ever shows up at work but Chanyeol doesn't make a fuss about it because he understands.

Kyungsoo's phone starts to vibrate once more and when he takes a look at it, it's the same unknown number that called him a hundred and nine times. He's tired now but answers the call anyway. I mean, there is always a point in time when you just get curious about what the caller wants, right?

"What the do you want, Jongin?" Kyungsoo asks boredly, not really caring about what Jongin has to say.

"Kyungsoo, I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I didn't mean to hurt you," Jongin pleads.

"I don't think anyone has ever invented a time machine, have they? Some things are just plain impossible. Things like, turning back time. What's done has been done. Don't apologize to me now, it won't change what you did. Oh, and have fun in jail," Kyungsoo replies.

"But Kyungsoo, I love you," Jongin sounds like he's on the verge of crying. But does Kyungsoo give two flying s about it? I highly doubt that.

"Yeah, yeah. You thought it would be easy to fool me because I am gullible. You got away with that. But that's only the beginning. But you didn't know that I'm not one who forgives easily. That I hold grudges for a long time," Kyungsoo says, somewhat smirking.

"Is there anything you want? I will get it for you, I promise," Jongin persuades.

"I don't need anything from you, Kim Jongin. Just remember that it will take years for us to become what we were before," Kyungsoo snaps and ends the call.

Jongin mopes about in his house, having nothing to do. All calendars, clocks, papers and writing tools have been removed from his house. It's pretty obvious that Jongin is under house arrest. Police patrol the area where his house is and stand outside the door of his house twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. Jongin had begged the officer on duty so hard to lend him his phone and this is the response he gets from Kyungsoo? But it's not Kyungsoo's fault anyway. It's his. Jongin finds a nice, smiling portrait of Kyungsoo and holds it in his hand. He takes out a piece of chalk and begins to draw on the black walls of his home. Most of the scribbles are lines from Yifan's books and poetry because in both Korea and China, Yifan is dubbed as the best of the best. A couple of Kyungsoo, I love you here and there and finally Kyungsoo's particulars in the centre of the wall.

Do Kyungsoo

12 January 1993

Goyang, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea

5' 8''

Spaghetti

Black

Fantasy

Jongin leans on the wall beside his "artwork", holding Kyungsoo's picture close to his heart. All the memories of them come flooding back the moment he closes his eyes. Their kisses at night, never lustful, always passionate and full of love. Sometimes, a little playful, experimenting and trying to find each other's limits. The way their hands fit together like two pieces in a jigsaw puzzle. Their hearts beating in synchronization whenever they hugged. Jongin doesn't realize that tears flow down his face in a stream. He loves Kyungsoo. Too much to just let him slip through his fingers like ash.

Kyungsoo does some thinking back in his apartment. Maybe he just doesn't want to admit that he's still in love with Jongin. Since the day they became intimate with each other, they discovered something like a psychic connection between themselves. Kyungsoo can feel Jongin's pain and tears now. He pretends he can't but you can't deny your heart. Physically, your heart gives you your life. Mentally, it stores all your emotions. That's enough of a reason why you can't deny it. The truth weighs down heavily on Kyungsoo. So much, he can't stand it but make a drive to Jongin's house. The chances of him getting in are low but he must try. If you try, then you will know. The need to see Jongin, it's consuming him. Like acid corroding his skin. Eating away, nibbling rather, until he feels the real pain. Jongin is rich like his outward self shows and he lives in a bungalow just by the city centre. Kyungsoo stops abruptly in front of the door, not bothering to park his car. An officer stops him just before he enters.

"No visitors allowed," the officer states blankly, like a tape on run.

"I'm his stepbrother. I need to speak to him about some family matters. If I must say, it is about my stepfather's will and our mother's death anniversary," Kyungsoo lies, obviously knowing that Jongin and him are nowhere near related.

"Your ID, please," the officer asks. Kyungsoo hands him his identity card and the officer skims it. Once he is done, he hands it back to Kyungsoo.

"Interesting birthdays you both have," he comments and Kyungsoo chuckles. A rather fake one.

"It's also kind of why, we reserved January 13 as our day..." Kyungsoo trails off.

The officer wears a thin and non obvious smile. "An hour, you have. Go in and speak to him." Kyungsoo thanks him, relieved.

The house is in a universal mess, rubbish all around the hall. The house looks like it just went through an earthquake and survived. Pictures are covered and darkness lurks at almost every corner. Kyungsoo switches on a table lamp and sees writing on the wall. Jongin's handwriting isn't what anyone would call neat but it's still legible. And then, there is Jongin, holding his knees to his chest and has his head against the wall. He doesn't seem to be awake. Kyungsoo skims the w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter