III

Pandora's Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yifan halts the vehicle at the entrance of the hospital and frantically rushes in, Luhan's frail body bouncing in his arms. There is a doctor at the front counter, talking to the nurse on duty and Yifan stops, a distance away from him, panting.

"Help him, please," Yifan asks, Luhan lying limp in his aching arms. Sehun, the doctor at the front counter, looks at Yifan from head to toe and then at the limp body in Yifan's arms. There is a bed that is readily available and another nurse wheels it to where Yifan is.

Luhan is cheked and has an IV inserted into his right forearm. Sehun completes the first patient report while Luhan rests.

"What happened to him?" Yifan asks, looking at Sehun who is scrutinising the paper clipped onto the clipboard.

Sehun taps the plastic clipboard with his pen continuously and looks up at Yifan. "Just the usual, you know. Shock and trauma. He couldn't register the change in environment quickly enough, hence experiencing shock and is also traumatized by his past. Try to take walks in the park with him and give him something to play around with. Like a pet dog, even though those are really expensive. Before he develops an obsessive compulsive disorder in trying to get rid of his past. It will be really bad if it gets to that," Sehun explains monotonely. He unclips the report and slips it into a plastic folder at the foot of Luhan's bed. Then he walks out, his doctor's coat swishing behind him and Yifan looks at the sleeping Luhan. The kid won't be waking up anytime soon.

Yifan switches on the television in the shared ward and of all things he wants to see at the moment, there is a news clip of a raid on Jongin's slave center. A group of people walk out of the building, their heads down and finally, Jongin exits in the same manner. Yifan catches what the news reader is saying. All slaves will be returned to their origin and given compensation. Yifan watches as reporters shove their recorders in the criminal's faces, trying to extract some information. Jongin deserves it anyway, Yifan thinks.

Out of the window, Yifan looks. He sips the sweet coffee in Chanyeol's café. All the people that pass by have normal lives. Yifan too wants a normal life like them. Why must his life have a dip into the world of crime and darkness? Yifan places the ceramic cup down and observes Kyungsoo. He probably thinks that working hard can make him forget about Jongin and his horrible deeds. The customer he is serving asks if he is okay. Kyungsoo just fakes a smile and lies that he is. She kindly offers a piece of tissue to him and he accepts it gladly. Looks are deceiving. He may look like an angel but you don't know the thousand and one evil thoughts circulating in his head. But he may also look like someone you wouldn't want to be around, with tattoos covering every inch of skin. But for all you know, he could be an angel in disguise, ensuring that life is fair to everyone.

Yifan stands up and returns the cup to the side counter. Chanyeol smiles at him.

"Is Luhan okay?" Chanyeol asks, emptying some contents into a blender.

"They haven't called me yet," Yifan shrugs. "And I think Kyungsoo should rest. It was all like a cannon ball into his face."

Chanyeol nods, leaving the blender to do its job. He walks over to where Kyungsoo is and whispers something into his ear. Kyungsoo smiles weakly and thanks Chanyeol for his concern.

"He'll just uh... take one more order," Chanyeol points at Kyungsoo, struggling hard with a friendly smile and greeting.

Yifan is halfway into his unofficial job when his cell vibrates in his pocket. He takes it out and answers it since there is no queue.

"Speaking?" Yifan begins. The line is fuzzy but he can still hear the person on the other end.

"Oh Sehun, Jae Woo University Hospital. You're the guardian of Lu Han, am I right?" Sehun asks.

"Luhan? Yeah, what about him?" Yifan questions.

"He's awake. Well, sort of."

Luhan had woken up to white walls and an unfamiliar place. There is an IV on his arm and he blinks. He turns to his side and there is a doctor writing on a clipboard.

"You're cute," is the first thing Luhan manages to mutter. He blinks once more, hoping and waiting for an answer.

"I'm sorry, what? Did you say I'm cute?" Sehun asks. Luhan nods slowly and a smile breaks out on Sehun's face.

"Thank you! I think you're cute too," Sehun beams. Luhan smiles back feebly and watches Sehun exit the ward.

The next person to walk in is Yifan. He walks to Luhan's bed with a soft smile. Luhan looks at him with his big doe eyes, curious about one thing.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter