Chapter one

Silence Kills

Kai’s POV:

After spending about two hours of his life in the same room as the boy that was to blame for him being in detention today Kai had gone from angry, to annoyed, to frustrated and then finally to a much cooler curiosity. The boy sitting at a desk stacked with endless sheets of paper looked like he was on a completely different planet from him and after spending nearly two full hours in full silence- save for the sound of paper being shuffled about- Kai was quite bored.

“Hey…” he tried strike up a conversation but it was futile as the boy just continued staring into nothingness.

‘What could he be thinking about so much?’ Kai thinks to himself as he tries again to get the boy’s attention.

“YO!” That try was successful as the boy jumped slightly to start at the sound of Kai’s shout.

Kai noticed that the boy’s face formed the most adorable expression when shocked, like that of a deer in headlights with eyes and mouth rounded into big, perfectly imperfect ovals, two of which joined sharply at the corners to form ebony-brown pupils floating in an ocean of white.

‘This boy is cute.’ Kai has to admit to himself, ‘I wonder what his deal is…’

When the boy finally settled from his slight jolt, Kai found it the perfect opportunity to initiate a conversation. They were five minutes away from being relieved of their detention duties any way so what was the harm in talking a little bit?

“What’s your name?” Kai figured this to be the perfect start to a conversation, but when he received no response from the boy now sitting with a head downcast, he figured that he had miscalculated somewhere so he tried a new strategy.

“I’m Kai, how about you?” This attempt appeared to have worked no better than the previous one so Kai shrugged off any attempts to converse with the kid and strapped on his backpack, readying himself to rush out of the stuffy classroom and head on home the moment one of their school monitors came in to tell them to go. At exactly five o’clock the door to the classroom opened to reveal their school secretary who simply gave them a warm smile and gestured them out of the class.

“Now boys,” she said she finished locking the door and turned to them, giving them a reprimanding look if ever there was one, “let’s make this your first and last detention okay?” she asked in an all commanding tone that even Kai found intimidating to some extent. It had a motherly kind threat inclination to it that put both boys on edge along with that overly sweet smile of hers. Kai glanced at the boy next to him and from the way that he visibly gulped down a lump that had appeared out of nowhere in his throat, Kai could tell that the boy was intimidated as well; something that made him feel like they had something in common – feeble and ridiculous though it may be.

As the secretary bid them farewell and headed off in the opposite direction from the school’s main entrance, Kai figured he’d give    conversing with the boy another shot, and so he turned to the wide-eyed boy and tugged at the hem of his sleeve to get his attention.

“Will you at least tell me your name?” He gave it one last shot and was glad to find that this attempt showed results as the boy stuttered a barely audible “K-Kyungsoo” in his direction before darting off to the school’s entrance and heading left in the direction of where Kai assumed was home.

‘Huh, same direction as me.’ Kai though as he jogged his way up to catch up with the boy, who was surprisingly fast for someone appeared as though they weren’t in the least bit athletic- not to say he was fat or chubby or anything, but still… he wasn’t as toned as most athletic people should be so Kai assumed he wasn’t that into sports, if he was into them at all.

“Hey wait up!” Kai chuckled at the boy’s clear eagerness to get home as he slowed down to the same pace as the boy named Kyungsoo and fell in step with him instantly. He gave the boy a curious side glance and wondered why he had never noticed him before. Surely they had been in the same school for a while now so Kai should have at the very least taken note of his presence, not forgetting his undeniable good looks. He wondered how a boy with such natural beauty could have stayed under his radar for who knows how long.

Kai watched as Kyungsoo walked on as though there wasn’t another person walking beside him and he wondered if perhaps the boy didn’t like him. It was strange for someone to act as though he didn’t exist, definitely something that Kai was not used to considering his popular status at school, so Kyungsoo’s behaviour just made him a bit more frustrated than was usual for him. He couldn’t think as to why the boy would dislike him. Perhaps it was because of the detention they just came from. Was the boy blaming Kai for that? Surely not, because he was definitely note at fault for that- okay, maybe a little bit, but still… it was no reason to completely ignore him.

Kai finally looked at the path they had been walking and realised that they were heading in the exact direction of where he lived. Could this boy possibly live on the same block as him?
“Hey, do you live near me?” Kai attempted yet again to get the boy to say something more to him but failed as the boy simply turned the corner into his street and by doing so, answered Kai’s question.

‘Oh, so he does live close to me.’ He deduces as they make their way down the street together. Kai is surprised just moments later when Kyungsoo comes to a halt and gives him what is seemingly a silent goodbye before turning away from him and heading up the steps to a small porch that would lead him into what Kai just realised was his home.

“Oh hell…” Kai says as he stands staring at the house he knows so well has never really known at all. “He’s my next door neighbour!”

Kai simply can’t believe that such a detail about his neighbours had slipped him all these years. How could he have not realised that he lived next to the house of a boy he went to school with? All this time and not a single clue...

 “Wow…” Kai muttered to himself as he made his way to his own house just a few meters away. He had every intention of getting to know the boy next door now that he knew he actually existed. Kai actually felt quite badly for having neglected to get to know is neighbours now. They had been living there for years, even longer than Kai’s family, and not once had he gone over to introduce himself. He recalled his mother mentioning that their neighbour’s son had brought by a welcoming gift in the form of a tart when they had first moved there but at the time Kai had had no interest in anything besides everything that had to do with dance and now he was regretting not popping by and making himself known and thus getting to know the kid next door.

They could have been close friends by now had Kai made an effort back when they first move there, many years ago. But he hadn’t and now was his chance. It was like the gods had placed him in detention with this boy as a way to give him the opportunity to compensate for his earlier mistakes. And so as Kai lay in his bed deeply in thought, he made up his mind to befriend the boy named Kyungsoo.

He couldn’t very well continue to ignore his existence now could he?

 ****

Hello ^^

First chapt is up. What did you think?? Tell me please.

Subs, Comments, Upvotes and recommendations are loved.

Thanks for reading.