Chapter One

When There Was Us.

It was raining, lightning and thunder roared. The kids were spread around the house, from Tao hiding under his sheets to Jongin sitting at the window sill in awe at the storm outside. Kyungsoo was cutting out paper hearts for his Appa, Junmyeon had always loved Kyungsoo’s paper art.

 

Luhan sat in his room telling ghost stories to his youngest brother Sehun who just asked questions repeatedly.

 

“And he cut off his head!”

“Why’d he do dat?”

“Because he was a murder, Sehun!”

“Why’s he a murder?”

“He just is, it is suppose to be scary!”

“Why doest it haff to be scary?”

“Because! Sehun, you’re impossible, go play with Jongin or somethin’!”

 

Luhan stomped out of his room and Sehun gave him a puzzled look before climbing down from the bed and running out of the room after him. “Luhan!”

 

Baekhyun was dragging Chanyeol around the house with a flashlight. He was filling Chanyeol in on the emergency plan if the lights go out. Chanyeol was clinging onto Baekhyun’s arm and looking around jumping slightly with each booming ring of thunder.

 

Jongdae, Minseok and Lay were cuddled up on the couch with their Appa, Jongdae asleep while leaning on Junmyeon. Lay and Minseok snuggling under the blanket they shared. Junmyeon looked around the living room glancing from Kyungsoo to Jongin, then to Luhan who came in with Sehun trailing behind him.

 

“Are you guys feeling hungry?” Junmyeon called out quietly not to wake Jongdae too abruptly.

 

“Oh! Can’d you make duh chicken nuddets!” Jongin hopped away from the window and ran to Junmyeon’s side. “Please!!?” Junmyeon laughed a little and nodded to Jongin.

 

“And some Mac’roni!” Sehun jumped up and ran over to Jongin’s side.

 

“Peas too!” Kyungsoo perked up and Baekhyun made a disapproving noise at the idea of peas.

 

“Yuck, Soo.” Baekhyun crossed his arms and Chanyeol imitated Baekhyun trying to follow what he does.

 

“Yah, behave.” Junmyeon gently woke Jongdae and got up heading to the kitchen with Jongin and Sehun following him eagerly. Junmyeon got the nuggets from the freezer and walked to the counter getting out the baking sheet emptying the bag over the sheet before sticking it in the oven and setting the timer.

 

Sehun runs to Junmyeon with a bag of pasta shells and he takes the bag setting it up on the counter.He fills a pot with water to set it over the stove to boil. Jongin hands Junmyeon the can of peas.

 

“Thank you, both. Appa’s little helpers.” Junmyeon ruffles their hair and they both run off happily, leaving Junmyeon alone in the kitchen. He quietly continues to make their dinner starting on the macaroni. He finds that this is one of those moments when he can’t help but let his mind wander to Kris.

 

“Junmyeon, can you get pasta shells for me?” Junmyeon gave Kris a confused look.

“Oh, You’re going to cook?”

“Yes, I wanna make my love, my special Wu family Mac and Cheese.” Kris smiled at Junmyeon widely. Junmyeon blushed shyly at his words.

“Come to the store with me, we can get everything you need.” Junmyeon convinced Kris and they took their leave to the grocery store.

“You need what?” Junmyeon looked at Kris as he picked out his seven kinds of cheese.

“Seven different types of cheese, trust me babe, it is all going to come out perfect.” Kris smiled a little as he focused on getting the cheese.

“You’re so--”

 

 

 

“BAEKHYUN! YOU’RE SUCH A--”

“Hey hey! what is going on here, Kyungsoo? Baekhyun?” Junmyeon ran fast to the living room to see a mess of ripped papers and a fuming Kyungsoo.

 

“Baekhyun ripped up all my paper hearts! I made about twenty and now they are all gone!”

 

“They were cut bad anyway! I did you a favor!”

 

“Enough, enough. The two of you are cleaning up this mess, and I want you both to apologize to each other! Now.”

 

“I didn’t do anything!” Kyungsoo cried out and kicked the papers scattering them more.

 

“Kyungsoo, pick up that mess! Baekhyun you too!” Both reluctantly cleaned up the mess. Chanyeol had a concerned face on as he watched Baekhyun pick up the papers angrily.

 

Jongin and Sehun quickly ran up the stairs to escape the scene, Luhan looked up at Junmyeon from the couch with Minseok, Jongdae, and Lay. Junmyeon watched as they threw away all the pieces of paper, Kyungsoo sniffling softly.


 

When they were done he walked back to the kitchen to finish cooking dinner.

 

~

 

After they all had dinner, Junmyeon was in the bathroom with Sehun and Jongin as they took their bath. They were singing and playing with small bath toys. Junmyeon helped wash their hair and carry them out to dry them off dressing them in their PJs.

 

“Do we have to sweep?” Jongin pouted up up at Junmyeon who nodded in response.

 

“Yes, don’t you want to go into dreamland, baby?” Junmyeon smiled and handed them their toothbrushes.

 

“The big monster lives in dreamland!” Sehun explains before brushing his teeth looking in the mirror.

 

“Big monster?” Junmyeon asked Sehun as he leaned on the counter.

 

“Neh! It is big taller than you, Appa! It is purple and always tries to eat me!” Sehun exclaims spitting slightly as he talks. Junmyeon hands them both a cup of water to rinse.

 

“Well, next time the monster tries to eat you, I’ll beat it up.” Junmyeon smiled at Sehun.

 

“Appa Kris is in my dreams…” Jongin says gloomily. “He yells at me and tells me he didn’t like me..”

 

“J-jongin, it’s just a dream. Okay? Appa Kris loves you so much. He misses you.”

 

“Why’d he go?” Jongin looks up at Junmyeon.

 

“I don’t know, baby...but it isn’t you, okay? Let’s get to bed.” Junmyeon took their hands and walked them to their bedroom. Junmyeon tucked them into their bed and pecked their foreheads. After stepping out and shutting the door he lets out a heavy sigh.

 

His steps dragged as he checked all the rooms making sure the boys were in bed. He counted nine and heading to his room already knowing where the tenth child was.

 

“Can I sleep with you, Appa?” Tao spoke timidly though already under the sheets.

 

“Of course, Tao. I am just going to get changed.” Junmyeon grabbed some clothes to sleep in and got changed quickly before heading to bed with Tao. “Were you scared of the storm earlier, you didn’t say much at dinner.”

 

“Mm,” Tao nodded “Storms always scare me. Especially the loud ones…” Tao lied back in the bed snuggling in comfortably.

 

“I know, I like hugs during storms like that too.” Junmyeon lies down also and settles comfortably.

 

Tao hums softly in response as sleep takes him slowly. Junmyeon is left to stare at the ceiling for a while longer before slowly drifting into his dreamland.

 

 

The thunder was echoing off the walls, Junmyeon had never felt so safe than he was right now. Kris’ arms holding him firmly and rubbing his shoulder to keep him comforted.

“The rain will pass and we will see the sun.” Kris told Junmyeon as he gently whispered sweetly into his ear. Kris held him straight through the whole storm that they had even managed to fall asleep through it.

Junmyeon loved Kris.