To the Edge of the Ocean (Little Mermaid - XiuChen) by: littlelionlovesptv

EXO AU Collection

It was Minseok's long-awaited seventeenth birthday and he couldn't be more excited. Ever since his oldest brother's seventeenth birthday six years ago, he had wanted to go to the surface and see the things Minwoo had seen.

Minseok was a merman, son of the Sea King. It was the King's allowance that all of his six sons could visit the surface starting on their seventeenth birthday, but since Minseok was the youngest, he had to wait the longest. Every year, his siblings would come back with wonderful, sometimes terrifying, stories of the world above and of all the things they saw.

“The humans!” his fourth brother said with fear in his voice when he returned. “They were so terrifying! They pulled a net full of fish up onto the boat they were in and didn't let them go. I don't ever want to see another human that close again.”

Every year, another one of his brothers would leave for the surface and Minseok would watch sadly as they swam closer to the place he so badly wanted to see. He had wanted to see the world of humans ever since he heard his grandmother speak about all of her encounters with the world on the surface. She had enjoyed it very much and had convinced the King to let her grandsons experience what she had, to which he eventually agreed.

And now, it was finally Minseok's chance to go. As he swam up, he didn't know where he wanted to go first, whether to stay out at sea or to go up the river his second brother had spoken about. As he got closer to the surface, he could tell that it was nighttime but there was an even darker shadow that passed over him and his heart raced. It must be a ship! He swam fast, not wanting to miss his chance to see the humans. He didn't think he'd be afraid of them like his fourth brother. If anything, he was fascinated by the thought of people walking instead of swimming but from his third brother's account, humans swam as well.

He wanted to know what it was like to walk, to dance, to run. His breathing came faster and faster as he neared the surface and then, suddenly, his face broke the slight tension of the water and he was breathing air. He began to laugh and splash with joy. I made it!

He looked up into the dark sky that was dusted with bright yet tiny lights and he tried to memorize every detail he could before he went back down to his palace and to his brothers who waited to hear what he had to say just like he had done for them.

Swimming fast, he managed to catch up to the ship that had passed overhead. He couldn't be happier when he saw that there were humans on the deck, dancing and singing and playing all sorts of strange instruments Minseok could only dream about. Lanterns of all colors and shapes were hung from the masts of the ship and he wanted to reach up and touch them but he knew he couldn't. His father had forbidden them to come into contact with humans but Minseok didn't see why that had to be. They looked so happy and peaceful like this, dancing to the music they created. It was no different than what merpeople did in their spare time. Having found books from sunken ships and hiding them from his father, Minseok knew a fair bit about humans and their lifestyles and he just couldn’t understand why his father thought they were so different.

I want to dance too. Sighing at the thought, he began to dream of someday having legs and dancing to music as well. He thought it would be even better than singing, even though he loved to sing. I'd give so much to be able to dance like them.

He was in his own world, watching the humans enjoy themselves when his eyes found a young man and it took all he had to stay in the water, to keep quiet.

He was beautiful, almost as beautiful as the mermen even though he was human. His dark eyes held the same smile his thin lips had. He had high cheekbones and a sharply angled jaw that ended in a square chin and Minseok had to try his hardest not to pull himself onto the deck to run his small hands over the human’s face, just to see if it was real. The man's pale skin glimmered under the bright lights of the lanterns and it looked as smooth as the pearls Minseok had strung around his neck-- a birthday gift from his grandmother.

Suddenly, overhead, lights burst into life in the sky and Minseok, startled, lost his hold on the ship, falling back into the water. But he didn't care about how it hurt when he hit the water with a large splash, he only cared about how pretty the-- fire? fire -- was in the sky, creating all sorts of colors. His mouth dropped open in wonder. How can fire be in the sky like this? I've only heard Grandmother speak of it being on the ground, in the sand.

On the deck, he heard laughter from this voice and in his rush to get back to the deck, Minseok hit his head on the side of the boat but he didn't spare it a second thought. He popped his head over the edge, his lips in an O, and he saw the beautiful man's head thrown back to look at the sky and an amazing smile nearly split his face in two with pure joy. He was suddenly more beautiful than anything in the world. A older man walked to him and touched his elbow to get his attention. He turned, the smile still glued to his face, and for a second he caught Minseok's eyes but not for more than just a moment. When the young man looked back, there was nothing there.

Minseok pulled himself back up after dropping down below the edge after the human had caught his eye. His arms were starting to hurt from hanging on but he wasn't going to stop watching this enticing man for anything.

The human was led over to a chair upon which something was wrapped, waiting. Minseok watched in awe as the man unwrapped it and finally held up a gleaming sword and smiled at the older man who had gotten his attention. The young man was wearing a crown, Minseok now noticed, and he guessed he was royalty, thinking of the small metal piece sitting on his own head. He was probably a prince just like Minseok.

“Thank you so much.” His voice was smooth and Minseok shivered at the sound.

“All for your birthday Jongdae, despite the fact it was quite a while ago,” the older man said with a smile and ruffled Jongdae's hair, who ducked in an attempt to get away.

Minseok sighed. This Jongdae is so beautiful. I wish I could run my fingers through his dark hair and touch that creamy skin and make him laugh more because his voice just sends shivers down my back. I want to hear him talk every day.

Thunder clapped in the distance and Minseok nearly lost his grip again in shock. He looked up and saw lightning streak across the sky. The wind whipped the sea into waves nearly taller than the Sea King's palace and the boat was quickly caught in the storm. Minseok was thrown from the boat and hit the water painfully and he couldn't breathe for a moment. When he resurfaced, the boat was being tossed into the air, the bow coming out of the water right above him. There wasn't much time for him to escape. He barely managed to swim out of the boat's path but the force the boat had hit the water caused him to tumble through the broken waves painfully and when he finally stopped, Minseok was far away from the boat that had somehow caught on fire while he was being pushed away. Dimly, in his frazzled brain, he thought to himself that this must be the kind of fire Grandmother must have told him and his brothers about.

He could see men jumping from the side of the boat to save themselves but then there was a shout. All Minseok could make out as he tried to get closer despite the rolling water was that the prince was missing. That made his heart race and Minseok knew that he had to try to get closer to the burning boat. Something told him to hurry, to swim as fast as he could-- faster than he ever had before. He was small but fast and he knew that he could get there in time if he just tried.

But he had other things to worry about. The humans, he knew, were not to see him and he had to work his way through the burning pieces. But he also had a feeling that they still had some of that colored fire still on the boat and it didn't look very safe either even though all the humans had loved it. Minseok knew he had to be careful so the humans wouldn't see him and that he didn't get hurt.

Somehow, fortunately, he made it to the boat without being spotted and with only a few burns from pieces of the boat and its cargo but he knew he'd be fine. All he cared about was finding the beautiful prince that hadn't been seen yet. Looking around, Minseok saw that many of the men were in a smaller boat, moving away from the larger one at a slow pace, looking in the water from time to time while calling out for the young prince. Only a few others were in the water, but they were slowly going under and not resurfacing. Minseok wished he could help them but the urge to find Jongdae was too strong.

With one heave, he managed to pull himself onto the hot deck and looked around in a panic. He could hear the water falling off his body onto the wood and sizzling. He didn't have much time or else he'd be fried. He scolded his overactive imagination when the random thought of what the electric eels usually ate and then realized that that is exactly what he'd be if he didn't hurry up.

Crawling across the wood, getting splinters in his abdomen as well as between his scales-- he knew his grandmother would be angry with him because she'd have to pull them all out-- Minseok looked frantically from left to right to see if Jongdae was still there and he let out a loud breath he didn't know he was holding when he found the metal crown and the dark head of the prince lying on the deck. But then he noticed the large piece of wood on top of his back and then another smaller one across the man's legs-- his wonderful legs Minseok thought painfully-- and he knew that the prince wasn't conscious and capable of getting himself out of this situation. His heart stopped for a beat when he realized he would have to touch the beautiful man but then the heat started to get to be too much on his scales and that got him moving again though this time he knew where he was going.

Due to a small knowledge of humans, Minseok had the thought to put his hand under Jongdae's nose to see if he was breathing and Minseok felt much better once he could feel the air moving across his skin. Humans need air to breathe, Minseok reminded himself and he began to push the smaller piece of debris off Jongdae's legs. There was no other way to save this man unless he threw him into the water which was the only place around that the human couldn't breathe in. Oh well, Minseok concluded once the wood was gone from the human’s legs.

There was a problem. The piece on Jongdae's back was too heavy for Minseok to just push off like the other one. This one would require a bit more rolling and the quickest way was to roll it over Jongdae's head with his tail since it was stronger than his arms. With no other option in sight that would make this quick, Minseok to his back and struggled to push the wood off the human. Grunts and groans came from his mouth but soon enough the round piece of wood was gone and rolling away into the growing flames. He spared himself a quick second to catch his breath before scooping the prince into his grip and pulled them both to the side of the boat. Not a second passed between when Minseok threw the prince into the water and his own descent into the frigid depths that still held the chill of early spring.

Minseok was losing strength but he had to find a way to get Jongdae to shore-- to safety. The unconscious human was heavy but the only way Minseok could save him was by carrying him. He wasn't thinking anymore, just using his instinct to find his way to the beach that wasn't too far but almost. He could tell it was somewhat nearby due to the direction the waves were travelling. Time disappeared and without even realizing it until he felt sand getting in his scales, something that really bothered him, they had reached the shore and Minseok couldn't have been more relieved to be breathing this strange air in his life. His body had gotten used to air as the humans breathe and not how his body usually processes water and takes the air out of that. He'd been taking in a mix of pure air and water and it had started to get painful. He didn't have gills like the fish around him, he just knew that his body somehow did it for him without the help of gills. He had always wondered how it worked.

Struggling to even move anymore, Minseok knew that the tide was in so he figured that in the morning they would be safe from drifting back out to sea. As he was fading into a deep sleep, Minseok has a side thought to check Jongdae's breathing again since the man was still unconscious. With a slow nod of acceptance when he felt the air rush across his hand as it had before, Minseok lay down in the sand next to Jongdae and promptly fell asleep, not noticing that he had curled up against the prince in a subconscious attempt to keep warm.

 

It was too warm for Minseok when he woke up the next morning and he felt physically irritated. All he felt was the heat and sand in his scales. But there was something else touching him, touching his hair. It was a different kind of warm-- soft, comfortable. Slowly, he opened his eyes and found skin. He was confused at first and then he remembered what had happened. With a hard push, he shoved himself away from the prince he had saved, some of his hair being left behind in the man's tight grip. Minseok thought about leaving right away but he couldn't bring himself to move further. Jongdae had a smile on his face, still sleeping, and Minseok just had a feeling that the prince was always smiling. Minseok couldn't make himself leave the prince. His beauty was unmatched, even compared to anyone under the sea.

Now that Minseok was completely awake and was sure that Jongdae was still unconscious, he could get a better look at the prince.

Jongdae had a sharp jaw, much more so than most and the fact that he had high cheekbones accentuated the effect. Smile lines touched the sides of his eyes and Minseok couldn't help but grin because he liked people who smiled a lot. His thin lips were slightly chapped but that didn't matter to Minseok. There was a black bump on Jongdae's forehead where he must have hit the deck and Minseok swept the dark hair away from the bruise.

He had a strange urge to touch the prince's cheek and just sing to him and so that is what he did. He didn't sing in the language of humans, he sang a lullaby that his grandmother would sing to him when he was younger to help him go to sleep. He didn't know why he did it but his heart told him it was a good idea. With small to Jongdae's cheek with his thumb, Minseok couldn't make himself stop even if he wanted to.

Soon his song was over though almost too late because Jongdae stirred beneath Minseok's hand and the merman panicked a little. They were still a fair bit away from the water and so Minseok took off as fast as he could on dry land to hide. He knew he had gotten too close-- way too close-- to the prince and even risking sleeping next to him was a huge mistake. Once in the water and behind a rock, Minseok peaked over the top to see Jongdae sitting up and rubbing his bruised head. He’s cute when he wakes up, Minseok thought to himself and scolded his brain for its unnecessary commentary. He shouldn’t even be thinking this way about a human

The prince looked around, confused, and then felt his chest that lost it's shirt during Minseok's rescue and was covered in bruises as well. Standing, although very unsteady, Jongdae started to walk out to the water-- and closer to where Minseok was hiding-- and Minseok made a small squeak before dropping back into the water. He cursed himself for the loud splash and swam to a farther rock. As he peaked around it, Jongdae was looking at the first hiding spot for what had caused the noise.

Why am I still watching him? I shouldn’t have even saved him last night; Father will be very angry with me when I get back and tell him everything. Minseok’s heart stopped. His father would feed him to the sharks for not returning last night. He would be fish food before the day ended. Hitting himself in the head a few times for his stupidity, Minseok began to take off but when he looked up, Jongdae was looking right at him. Both their eyes went wide but Minseok disappeared before Jongdae could even say “wait”.

All the way back to the Sea Palace, Minseok was mentally beating himself for letting the human see him. He knew he shouldn’t have stayed or even helped the man but now he was certainly dead. His father would tear him apart with his own hands and make everyone watch while he was being eaten by the sharks to serve as a lesson as to why they were not to interact with humans. Minseok groaned when he saw the Palace come into view and he started to come up with a proper reason as to why he was gone all night-- promptly leaving Jongdae out of it.

 

Back on the beach, Jongdae was confused. When he had woken up on a beach, covered in sand and the drifting sound of some magical song, he was sure he was in heaven. He remembered the boat being tossed and the lanterns falling to the deck, lighting it on fire. He remembered someone screaming his name and then pain in his head but that was it. Distantly, he wondered where his shirt went when he looked out at the water. Why he walked into the water, he didn’t know, but when he was close to the small waves, he heard a shriek and a large splash. Looking at a rock, he didn’t see anything but went to check it out anyway.

There was nothing there and suddenly he started to think of the song that had woken him. It had been beautiful but he must have been too far into unconsciousness to make out the words. He knew it had been a man singing and the man had had an amazing voice. It would be burned into his memory for as long as he lived, he was sure of it. Sighing quietly, he looked up and to the south at a different rock and saw a small man’s head looking in his direction from behind the rock.

Instantly, Jongdae was enchanted. With a round face and sharp, narrow eyes and red hair falling into them, Jongdae couldn’t look away. The man was beautiful and he seemed inhuman with such a wonderful face. He had never seen anyone as striking as this stranger. But then Jongdae noticed that the other had finally seen him staring and they both looked at each other in shock. Jongdae must have blinked because the stranger was suddenly gone.

Was that the man who was singing? Am I dreaming?

Who was that?

 

“Kim Minseok, I will tear you apart and feed you to the sharks!”

Silently, Minseok complimented himself on the fact that that is exactly what he knew his father would say to him when he finally returned but he was terrified at the same time because the king was fuming mad. Minseok didn’t even dare look at the Sea King because that would just made him even angrier.

“Where were you? You knew you were to come back long before morning but you didn’t!” All the courtiers had fled from the throne room as soon as they saw Minseok slinking in. They knew something bad was going to happen and they were right. Minseok was probably going to die today but he didn’t want to, not when he had just seen the most beautiful person to have ever lived.

“I got lost after the storm hit. It took me a while to find my way home.” The lie rolled so easy off his tongue he was sure that his father would accept it but strangely, he didn’t seem to.

“Those are burns on your chest. Where did you get them?” At least his voice was softer but none kinder.

. “I don’t remember.” This time his voice wavered just a tiny bit but the king caught it.

“You’re lying. If you lie one more time, you know exactly what I’ll do to you despite being my son. Let me ask you again: where were you?”

Minseok wrung his hands and slid them over his tail and felt the splinters still caught irritatingly enough in between his scales. He didn’t want to tell his father about Jongdae but there wasn’t much getting around it. Maybe if he just left the prince out of the story altogether, it would end up better for him. Worth a shot. “When I reached the surface, I was looking at the sky and couldn’t look away at first but then I saw a boat. You know that I’m curious so I couldn’t help myself and had to get closer.” When he looked up, he could see the anger rising up again. “They didn’t see me!” he shouted, his hands balling into fists. “I made sure they didn’t. I was very careful.” Minseok stopped to catch himself before he said anymore and looked back at the ground.

“The burns, son.”

No no no no no. Don’t ask about those again. Please don’t make me tell you. Minseok turned his eyes to his father and his face screamed for an answer and the small man knew he wasn’t getting out of it. Sighing and trying to hold in the tears, he told him.

“The boat caught fire and someone was still on the ship. I saved him.”

It was silent and Minseok wasn’t sure what scared him more, his father’s unmoving face or the silence. The water was tense between them and Minseok was about to lose his mind and his hold on the tears that threatened to fall when the king rose from his throne and wrapped his arms around Minseok.

What the-- “Minseok, please don’t ever do that again. I know you meant well and I’m glad you saved the man, but you cannot risk your own life and risk letting humans see you. Just please, stay safe and don’t approach humans again.” The king took a shuddering breath and Minseok knew he was crying so Minseok let his own tears fall down his cheeks and hugged his father back. He was glad to be home and safe but he wouldn’t take anything back. He saved Jongdae and he wasn’t sure what this feeling in his chest was but he liked it.

Even though he had been warned not to go back, Minseok knew he needed to see Jongdae again but this time, he wanted to walk like the prince instead of drag himself across the ground.

 

“But I’m telling you, Sunwoo, there was a man out there. I think he’s the one who saved me.”

Jongdae was upset. After seeing that stranger on the beach a week ago, Jongdae had to make his way back to his palace on the hill and it had taken the better part of the day. He was just glad that he had washed up so close to home and didn’t actually die. But when he showed up in the court, he was cranky, tired, hungry, and thirsty. All he was wearing was one shoe and his singed trousers with his hair out of place. His father was shocked but it was Sunwoo, the King’s advisor, that swept him away to clean him up and get him to bed. Today, with the burns on his body being treated and the bruise on his head almost gone, he was eating his breakfast slowly because even though it had been a week, Sunwoo wanted him to take his time with eating for some odd reason. Sunwoo acted more like his father than the king most of the time. When he had been walking back to the palace, a shining blue scale, much larger than the usual fish around this area, had fallen out of his hair and he was thoroughly surprised but had kept it hidden from Sunwoo. He didn’t know why he had hidden it but he didn’t think it was that important to other people. It was sitting on the table next to his bed, hidden by a book; it was about the size of his ear and he was sure it would look out of place if it were visible.

“Jongdae, I don’t see how there could have been anyone on the beach. That’s an abandoned cove and it’s a ways away from civilization. And if someone had been there, they should have helped you get home. Now just eat.” Sunwoo was getting tired of hearing about this mysterious person but it was his job to watch over the prince and that is what he tried to do.

With a scowl, Jongdae stabbed at his plate that was too empty for his liking. He wanted more food because he was feeling better but then he realized he was just being spoiled. Frustrated, he slammed his fork down and walked out of the room, leaving Sunwoo yelling at him to come back but Jongdae didn’t listen. Instead, he grabbed a horse from the stables and began to ride back to the beach where he woke up to the voice of an angel. A week was too long for Jongdae to wait.

 

“Minnie, my dear, tell me everything that happened.”

Minseok had gone to see his grandmother the evening he got home because she had wanted to hear all about his visit to the surface but he also wanted her help getting all the splinters out. And besides, he wanted to know where to go to get legs, no matter the price and who he had to go see. If anyone knew, it was his grandmother. She knew so much and Minseok was glad.

“Promise not to get mad or tell anyone my secret?” He was hesitant to tell his father about Jongdae but he knew his grandmother wouldn’t be as harsh. She nodded and so he continued. “When I went up there and the storm hit, the boat of humans I was watching caught on fire. Well, the prince on that boat didn’t get off with everyone else. This prince, Grandmother, he’s so handsome-- one of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen, even out of the merpeople. When I heard that he hadn’t gotten off the burning boat, I got on to save him. That’s where I got all these,” he said, pointing to the splinters in his tail. “I managed to get us to the shore and then I passed out. He was unconscious the whole time, even when I woke up this morning. I sang to him, even though I don’t know why, and I couldn’t help but touch his face. He’s just so,” he trailed off, thinking of Jongdae’s wonderful face and he couldn’t stop the smile from forming.

"I see," she said. "And how do you feel about this prince?" She yanked out one of the splinters and Minseok flinched.

He didn't know if he wanted to answer because even though being attracted to another male wasn't a strange concept to the merpeople, it was unheard of between merpeople and humans. And it was also unacceptable, especially for Minseok, the son of the Sea King. What would his grandmother say? "I uh-- I think he's very handsome."

"As you children say these days, "be real". You have taken a liking to this human, haven't you? So admit to your feelings." She kept pulling out splinters and Minseok was used to the pain by now but he was also in shock that she was so accepting.

"So, you don't care that I have feelings for a human? I haven't even spoken to him but that's obvious since Father would have my head if I had."

"I don't mind if you do. As long as you're a happy little fish boy, I'm a happy grandmother." She ruffled his hair and he smiled but then it disappeared as fast as it had come.

"But I'm a merman while he's a human. We can't be the same."

His grandmother smiled slyly. "I know a little secret. I know what you're thinking and I have the answer. You want legs, don't you?" Minseok hesitantly nodded. "Your father might be angry with me but he won't know where you've gone until it's too late." She swam over to a cabinet and pulled out a small vial, upon which she handed to Minseok. "Think about it before you decide. Take a week and if you decide not to go after this human, bring this back. If you chose the human at the end of the week, swim to the surface before drinking this and when you do, make sure you are close to land." She took his hands in her own and smiled but Minseok wasn't sure if it was happiness or sadness on her face. "I have been where you are and I had a feeling that you would be the one, out of all your siblings, that took a liking to humans. Take care, my baby, and be safe."

Minseok smiled wide and nodded but before he could leave, his grandmother stopped him one more time. "But remember that everything comes with a price, Minseok. Your legs won't come for free nor will they last forever. If this prince doesn't kiss you out of true love after three days, you will turn into the foam that tips the waves."

He nodded, sobered. "Thank you Grandmother. Be careful of Father and keep my secret, okay?" She nodded too as he left and when he was gone, she began to cry.

"I've lost another child and he may never come home."

 

Minseok, a week later, had found the beach where he had taken Jongdae before he took of the top of the bottle but he stopped himself from drinking right away. A week of thinking quietly in his room and long swims around the city didn’t help him decide so his heart told his head to just go for it. But what was the price, he asked himself. But he knew he wanted this as much as anything else in the sea. As he swallowed the contents of the bottle, he admitted to himself that yes, he was in love with this human and he didn't care what he lost.

Pain hit his stomach like a hurricane when the contents were gone and he curled into a ball while trying to keep from crying out. It subsided for a second and when he looked up for a moment, oddly enough, Jongdae was staring at him and he was positive it wasn’t because of the potion his grandmother had given him. "No!" he shouted while reaching out. "You're not supposed to see me! Why are you here?" His shouts turned into a scream and his tail turned to liquid and tears were falling down his cheeks. He had no idea this would hurt as much as it did but he couldn't go back. He felt something, most likely Jongdae, touch his head but he didn't react, instead as the pain became too much, he passed out.

 

Jongdae was still confused. He had left the palace to clear his head and to look for that man but what he got was a frazzled brain and a merman on the beach, writhing in pain. He started to get closer and the merman saw him. To his shock, it was who he  was looking for but he wasn't expecting it to be a merman.

"No!" the man shouted at Jongdae. "You're not supposed to see me! Why are you here?" He had tears streaming down his face and Jongdae raced to his side, kneeling. There was nothing else he could do except comfort this being in front of him. He pulled the stranger's head into his lap and he pulled the strange, wet red hair from the pale forehead. Slowly, the stranger's breathing leveled off and Jongdae realized that he had fallen unconscious and Jongdae took the liberty to look him over for what was causing him such pain.

But to his even greater surprise, the man's tail was missing, being replaced by pale, smooth legs. The bright blue scales had been shed onto the beach and Jongdae realized that the scale he had found in his hair belonged to this person. So this was probably the person who had saved him.

It was then that Jongdae noticed that the merman with brand new legs was except for a string of pearls around his neck. Jongdae decided to give the stranger his own shirt to keep some form of dignity. Lifting him onto the horse while getting on behind him, Jongdae knew that he should help.

 

Minseok woke up between something smooth and he was lost. Usually he woke up to the feel of water moving but this wasn't it. When he opened his eyes, he saw sunlight and fabric above him. Then he moved his tail but realized that his tail wasn’t there anymore. He lifted the soft-- blanket?-- off his body and noticed that he was , causing him to blush a little, but what caught his attention the most was that his tail really wasn’t there. It was a pair of legs.

He smiled widely. It had worked but that meant that he only had three days to get the prince to love him or he would die. Sighing, he let his head fall back onto whatever was cushioning it but it felt wonderful. He looked out the-- window?-- and saw birds sitting on a tree and he could hear them talking to each other but couldn’t understand what they were saying. Maybe they were just a bit too far away.

Minseok didn’t want to leave this bed. It was so much more comfortable than his own back home and so much warmer. He liked being warm even though it was so different than being under water. He couldn’t help but look at his legs again and giggle a little but then he realized nothing came out of his mouth. He tried to say a few words but still nothing.

No. This couldn’t be the price his grandmother was talking about. He needed his voice. He needed to talk to Jongdae to get him to love him. A tear escaped his eye and he tried to wipe it away as fast as it had appeared but they just kept coming and so he just let them fall onto the cushion under his head. Suddenly, something jumped onto the bed and Minseok sat up, face a little red from crying, and he saw that it was an animal, something his grandmother said was a cat. It was much smaller than him but he thought it was adorable. The cat’s hair matched his own hair’s light shade of red and he smiled, his tears and voice forgotten. He ran his hands over the cat in what he thought was an acceptable manner, having pet some fish this way a few times before getting scolded, and the animal started to make the most wonderful noise he had ever heard. It was low and soft but the cat sounded so content to be pet like this and so Minseok pulled the cat into his arms and tightly held it and the rumbling sound intensified.

“So cute,” he tried to say but then the reality hit him again. No voice. His happiness fled a little but then the cat his arm and the smile returned.

Minseok was too caught up in the cat to realize that someone had opened the door. It was only when the cat squirmed from his arms, leaving tiny scratches on Minseok’s arms that began to bleed, did he notice the person standing near the door. It was Jongdae and somehow Minseok’s smile got even bigger as he walked closer to the bed.

“Nice to see you awake,” Jongdae said smoothly as he sat on the side of the bed and Minseok melted inside. “How are you feeling?” He noticed the scratches on the other’s arm and frowning at the cat that had followed him to the bed, he swiped at the blood beading up at the skin, smearing it. “Obviously, you could be better if Sebastian hadn’t clawed you. I’m sorry about him.” Minseok waved his hands in the air as if to say that it wasn’t a big deal. “What’s your name?” Jongdae asked and Minseok frowned. He needed to answer but he couldn’t. He didn’t even know how to write in Jongdae’s language and he looked at his hands that were in his blanket-covered lap.

“What? Can’t you talk?” Jongdae was confused once again but his voice was still soft. Minseok shook his head and pointed to where his legs were under the blanket. “What about your legs? I saw you on the beach and you had a fish tail. I know you’re a merman.” Minseok’s heart stopped a little. What would Jongdae think of him now? “ But what does not being able to talk have to do with your legs?” Minseok let out a small breath because Jongdae didn’t say anything else about his tail.

Minseok made a motion for paying for something and Jongdae seemed to have understood. “Oh, so those legs aren’t for free.” Minseok smiled and nodded excitedly. “But why did you get legs at the cost of your voice? Why did you even want legs?”

Minseok blushed. This was turning awkward fast and he didn’t know if he should confess his feelings now by pointing to the prince or just shake his head. So he went with the latter, deciding there would be a better time to answer.

“Okay then we won’t ask that question yet. But you haven’t answered my first question yet. How are you feeling?” Jongdae smiled and Minseok’s heart soared. That smile would make his day over and over again. He couldn’t stop his head from bobbing and Jongdae laughed and Minseok wasn’t sure if he was breathing anymore. “I take that as “very well.” Do you need some clothes? Or would you rather stay in bed to eat? It looked very painful changing from a tail to legs and I bet you don’t want to walk just yet.”

Minseok touched Jongdae’s loose fitting shirt and nodded and Jongdae smiled. “I will be back in a bit then. Just hold on.” Jongdae left the room with Sebastian following him. Minseok didn’t know what to do. Pulling the blankets back, he just looked at his pale legs. His heart swelled with joy again. It had actually happened. He curled his new toes and moved his legs from side to side and up off the bed and he was so happy that he didn’t even realize Jongdae had returned. When he spoke, Minseok blushed and threw the blanket back over himself.

“I see you’re really enjoying those new set of legs. If you don’t mind me asking,” Jongdae sat on the edge of the bed, leaving the pile of clothes next to him. “Do you get to keep them or not?”

Minseok’s smile fell and he shook his head. He held up three fingers and then pointed to the sun outside his window.

“So, three days?” Jongdae frowned when Minseok nodded. “Well, if you only have three days, let’s go see some sights! I’m sure you’ll love it and once you go back home and tell everyone about it here, they’ll be jealous of you.”

Minseok smiled despite the fact that he knew he wouldn’t be going home. He’d either stay with Jongdae or he’d die. But he’d rather die than lose Jongdae, that much he was sure of.

“Come on, get dressed. I’ll wait outside for you unless if you’d like help figuring out how clothes work.” Minseok blushed a deep red and Jongdae just laughed.

Minseok watched the prince leave the room and shut the door behind him. He didn't want to waste any time but found clothes to be quite difficult. Pants were the hardest because his new legs were not doing what he wanted them to do. With a silent shout of frustration, he tore the pants off his legs and ripped the fabric. In shock, he sat down on the edge of the bed and unfortunately, slid to the ground with a small thud.

The door opened slowly, revealing Jongdae’s smiling face. "Are you sure you don't want help?"

 

Later, with Minseok fully clothed, they sat at a large table while waiting to eat lunch. Minseok sat on a wooden chair quietly, swinging his legs because his feet didn’t touch the ground. He wasn’t really paying attention to anything in particular until he spotted the cat from earlier. Smiling, he hopped down and without thinking, he stumbled his way towards the ginger cat who stared at him in horror until Minseok swept the cat into his arms and cuddled the hairy child against his face, listening to it create that rumbling sound again. Behind him, he heard Jongdae laugh and he smiled. Despite not being able to laugh or speak, he was happier than ever. He was with Jongdae and there was the cat as well but he knew that his time would either last three days or a human life span. This made his heart drop but there was hope. To Minseok, it seemed like Jongdae liked him but it was just that. Jongdae was just being friendly and kind. Minseok lost his smile and sat on the floor, still holding the cat. He didn't notice that Jongdae had come to sit by him until he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Is everything okay? I mean besides the fact that you can't speak and having a hard time with the legs." He did look quite concerned but Minseok still wasn't sure of Jongdae. Minseok knew he was in love with the human and yet he didn't know if Jongdae felt the same. At least he had a few days to make sure the prince felt the same. So in answer to Jongdae's question, he took the human's hand into his own and smiled. "I'm glad you're okay. You deserve happiness after what you've given up." To Minseok's surprise, Jongdae only held onto his hand tighter.

They sat like that, with the cat between them, until another man came into the room.

"Jongdae, you have no right to have left-- who is this?"

Minseok jumped at the sound of an angry voice and when he turned his head, he saw a man in fine clothes and white hair tied back into a braid with an expression of confusion on his face. It was the man that was on the boat with Jongdae.

Jongdae stood and made sure Minseok stayed on the ground due to his wobbly legs. "Sunwoo, this is the person that saved me from the shipwreck.”

The man looked dumbfounded for a moment, his mouth hanging open until Minseok just waved from his seat on the ground. Sunwoo snapped his jaw shut with a clack and sat down in the chair at the head of the table. “And I thought you were kidding.”

Jongdae helped Minseok to his feet and carefully led him to the table, leaving Sebastian to glower on the gleaming floor. “I don’t like how you think I was lying;” Jongdae held up a hand to stop Sunwoo from protesting. “You should know better than to do that to me. You’ve known me forever and you should know that when I say something, I speak the truth. And so, over the next few days, we are taking care of this man whether you want to or not. I don’t care if you tell my father. This man needs some help and I’m going to give it to him.”

Minseok was slightly confused on who this older man was but he couldn’t ask so he sat quietly in his chair, swinging his feet with a goofy smile on his face.

“What is his name?”

Jongdae looked like he was going to reply when he froze. “I actually don’t know,” he said as his smile turned into a frown. “He can’t speak so don’t bother asking.”

Something caught Minseok’s eye and he grinned. His pointed to the green stone set in gold on the older man’s hand and nodded his head. Sunwoo looked surprised. “Jade?” he asked but Minseok shook his head. “I don’t know what you’re trying to tell me,” he said with a rude tone to his voice.

“He’s trying to tell you something about him,” Jongdae caught on. “But I’m not sure either.”

Minseok rolled his eyes before he sat back into his chair. It was hopeless. They would never get it.

“I’m trying to think here. Don’t give me sass.” Jongdae pointed at Minseok and the merman feigned being stabbed. “I don’t want to give you a name when you already have one.” Minseok smirked and Jongdae frowned. Sunwoo noticed that these two acted like they had known each other for years, like they were best friends. Something was up and Sunwoo was set on finding out just where this stranger came from and who he was. But he didn't know how to do that without asking him out right.

"Jongdae, just where did you find this man?"

Jongdae looked at him and lost his smile. "Why are you asking? I don't see how this concerns you."

"I am in charge of your well being and that means asking you where strangers came from. This one is no different."

Jongdae was angry. He knew that Sunwoo wouldn't believe him if he told the truth but if he lied he would be scolded and punished. The merman didn't deserve to be treated like an animal and he needed to be helped but as a human being. So Jongdae made up his mind.

"I'm not telling you."

Sunwoo thought about fighting Jongdae but thought better of it. He would find out one day where this stranger came from and just who he thought he was to come into his castle and take away Jongdae. Sunwoo did not like his nephew-- however Jongdae did not know this-- leaving with some stranger. Sunwoo felt that he needed to take care of Jongdae while his older brother, the king, ran the kingdom. Jongdae was the only heir and Sunwoo took it upon himself to raise the young prince. So because he had been with the boy for sixteen long years, Sunwoo has learned to pick his battles and this was one of them.

Sighing, Sunwoo closed his eyes before speaking and Jongdae knew he had won this time. "Fine. If you choose to be that way then so be it. But know that I will not let this go." And with that, he signaled for the food to be brought in.

Minseok was excited to see what humans ate but when the plate was sat in front of him, his jaw dropped in horror. It was fish and crab. He couldn't eat this. With a pleading look on his face, he glanced at Jongdae before turning back to his plate. Jongdae seemed to understand and reached for his plate.

"I thought I said no seafood for our guest." He handed it back to the woman who had given him a plate.

She nodded and left but came back quickly before much could be said. This time it consisted of leaves and bright colored pieces of varying size and different colors. He smiled and watching how Jongdae used the utensil next to him, Minseok made quick work of the food that Jongdae called a salad. He was in love. It tasted wonderful and he wanted more. When he held out the clean plate to Jongdae, he asked the same woman for another plate and she came back just as fast. Minseok downed this salad just as soon as Jongdae had finished his plate.

Smiling, Jongdae stood. "Let's go somewhere today. Where would you like to go?" He took Minseok's hand and without another look back, the two left the dining hall behind.

Once outside, Minseok could see the water and he smiled, tugging Jongdae to follow. "Do you want to go back to your beach?" Minseok nodded and Jongdae pulled them in the opposite direction. "We need to take a horse so we can get there sooner."

 

Some time later, about mid-afternoon, they had reached the beach they were looking for and Jongdae carefully lifted Minseok off the horse they shared. Jongdae couldn't help but notice how the smaller man flinched a little with each step and he felt bad. He didn’t know what he could to do for the merman.

Minseok stopped walking for a second and then suddenly took off at a run before jumping into the water. He ran until he couldn’t anymore and then he began to swim, his head dipping below the soft waves. He didn’t think he would have missed the water as much as he actually did, but yet here he was. Strong took him farther until he realized he couldn’t breathe underwater like he had before and had to resurface. Scanning the beach that was farther away than he had thought it would be, he caught sight of Jongdae sitting quietly on the shore. Minseok waved and Jongdae returned it.

He started to swim back to shore and got about halfway when he felt something brush his leg and then it broke the surface barely two feet in front of him.

“Minseok, where have you been? And why do you have legs; what happened?”

Minki, his brother just older than him and the one he was closest to, had found him. He wondered when anyone would find out but he doubted his grandmother would have told them where he went. A promise is a promise and merpeople always keep their promises.

Minseok opened his mouth to speak before he remembered. It was always so easy to talk to Minki but now he couldn’t. He just had to simply shake his head.

“What are you saying no to? It wasn’t a yes or no question. Everyone is worried where you went and even though we all know you went to go see Grandmother before you disappeared but she won’t tell us where you went. I was the only one who decided to search this close to the humans to find you. But why are you here and why do you have legs? Don’t just shake your head at me Minseok!” Minki grabbed his arm, voice rising into a shout, as Minseok tried to swim closer to the shore. He knew that last bit had reached Jongdae and he stopped.

Without anything better to do to explain this, he looked towards Jongdae on the beach. The prince was now standing and starting to come into the water but Minseok didn’t want him to be here. He didn’t want this to happen. He just wanted to be with Jongdae for at least these three days before his fate was decided. Jongdae didn’t need to know right now why he had legs and Minki didn’t either.

Minki followed his eyes to Jongdae’s form and then looked back at Minseok. “Is he why you have legs?”

A face of slight terror crossed his face and he tensed because he knew Minki wouldn’t understand. His brother had never had a fascination with humans and he shared their fourth brother’s belief: Humans were horrible. Minseok didn’t want to tell him but when Minki’s grip tightened, he knew his reaction had given him away.

“He is, isn’t he?” Something Minseok could be grateful for in this situation was that his brother kept his voice down. They were close enough that Jongdae could hear and he didn’t want Jongdae to know that he was in love with him. “What did you give up to get those legs? What did you give up so you could become one of them?”

The question couldn’t be avoided. Looking his brother in the eye, he tried to speak but as always, nothing came out. Minki’s face twisted up into disgust. “Don’t come home Minseok. No one will want you back if they find out what you’ve done.” He let go of Minseok and began to leave but not before stopping though he didn’t turn to look at his best friend. “I’ll tell everyone you’re dead so they stop looking for you. It’s better that way anyway.”

And then he was gone.

It felt like he had been punched in the stomach. Minseok felt like he couldn’t breathe. He struggled to get back to shore and when he was close enough, Jongdae-- who had waded out far enough that the water was at his waist-- scooped him into his arms and helped him onto the dry sand. Minseok didn’t want to be near the water anymore but he couldn’t make himself move from his sprawled position. His body was too drained from that conversation. Jongdae sat next to him, a hand lightly on the arm that cradled his head.

“Minseok;” Jongdae’s voice was softer than ever and the fact that is was his name that the prince had said only shocked him more. He turned his head quickly. “That’s your name? Minseok?” A nod was all that was needed and Jongdae smiled sweetly. “It fits.”

Minseok frowned. That was not what he expected to come out of this. He hid his face in the crook of his arm once again and didn’t move when Jongdae poked his side. The poking got more irritating as Jongdae continued but still, he didn’t move. He just shook his head yet Jongdae still didn’t stop.

Instead, once Jongdae realized Minseok wasn’t going to look at him, he laid on top of the merman. “Pay attention to me,” he whined, playing with Minseok’s hair as the merman struggled beneath him.

When Minseok was free, he just stared at Jongdae. Why would he do that to someone he just met? Was this his way of showing friendship? Jongdae just smiled before he jumped back onto Minseok, plowing them both back into the sand. Minseok couldn’t help but think that Jongdae was just like the little kids back home that would never stop play-fighting with each other.

“Why are you so gloomy?” Jongdae continued to whine from on top of Minseok, staring him in the eyes. Minseok couldn’t stop himself from thinking that Jongdae was just cuter when he was being annoying. “Today’s a great day and the sun is out so there’s no need to be so down.” Jongdae stood and pulled Minseok up with him. “Come on, let’s go somewhere else. I want to show you the marketplace.”

Minseok felt a mixed sense of guilt and joy as they rode away from the ocean. He had this feeling that it might be the last time he sees it.

 

It was midafternoon when they reached the city and the activity was booming. People were pushing past them despite the fact that Jongdae was the prince but he still received some bows from the merchants.

Marketplaces weren’t unfamiliar to Minseok so he felt comfortable here. Jongdae had a hold on his wrist just so he wouldn’t get lost. He couldn’t help but stare in wonder at all the things that were there.

It was all a blur until Jongdae stopped them in front of a fountain as the prince called it. There was water coming out of the top and falling into a pool on a repeated cycle and Minseok ran his fingers through the cool water and smiled. That’s when he heard the music began to play from somewhere in the area and he watched as people danced to the sound. He was in awe at how smoothly the people moved and was shocked when some young woman grabbed his hand, pulling him into the dance as well. It hurt to walk but it was worse to dance. However, this feeling wasn’t something he wanted to sacrifice.

She laughed at his wide eyes and his stumbling feet. “Have you never danced before?” Her tone suggested that it was a joke but Minseok innocently shook his head and her face turned to one of kindness. “Then let me show you how.”

 

Ever since hearing a part of Minseok’s very one-sided conversation from the beach earlier, Jongdae had had this warm feeling in his chest every time he looked at the merman. He figured that whoever had shown up was very close to Minseok to cause such a happy person to be so down and that’s why Jongdae wanted to make him feel better.

Showing him around the market was fun but he knew that around this time, a few people from the city played music at the fountain and Jongdae knew Minseok would love to dance. The man seemed to be interested in everything to do with legs but Jongdae wished he could show him more than this. The three days weighed heavily on him and he couldn’t stop thinking about what made this stranger choose legs for only that long. But he also kept wondering about what would happen once those three days were over. He honestly wanted to know so much more about Minseok but there was a very slight chance of ever finding out.

What really bothered him at this moment in time, though, was him. Jongdae realized he was his own biggest problem because he didn’t know how he felt about Minseok. He hadn’t even known the small redhead for a full day and he wasn’t sure if he wanted to just be his friend or if he wanted to hold his hand. There was just this way Minseok moved and how soft he looked and felt that sent Jongdae into a small panic. Despite only hearing his voice twice, his silence meant just as much to the human prince as his voice did. Jongdae didn’t want to lose such a potential in his life but he also didn’t want to get attached to Minseok for fear of what would come after the days had past. But overall, Jongdae was just scared of what this meant. He was interested in a stranger that was to disappear in three days and he didn’t want to get hurt. He didn’t want to get too close.

When he heard the music and saw people dancing, his eyes went straight to Minseok through the swiftly gathering crowd. This was his chance to open Minseok’s eyes to the world of dancing but his moment was stolen when he saw a beautiful young woman grab at the merman’s hands and start dancing.

He could barely hold back the laugh that bubbled from his chest when he saw that Minseok was pretty much tripping on his own feet and the girl laughing but slowly, as time passed and the songs changed, Minseok got better at it. Jongdae didn’t miss the smile that Minseok had plastered on his face or the woman quietly redirecting him and his feet with soft words.

That fire in his chest only got hotter as he watched and that was when he settled on what he would feel. Even though Minseok would leave in three days, Jongdae was going to take a chance.

He would allow himself to fall in love with a merman.

 

That night, once the sun had been swallowed by the sea, Jongdae was sending Minseok to bed. After dancing for what seemed to be about an hour, Jongdae had received a smiling child from the young woman. She told him, once Minseok had gone to sit down by the fountain, that he had learned how to dance quite fast. She smiled when she looked at him, leaving Jongdae with a small sense of jealousy. But before she left, she told Jongdae that anyone who knew the quiet man was lucky because he was a keeper.

Minseok, however, upon arrival to the castle, had sat down on a couch and fallen asleep within a minute. Jongdae had to carry him to bed and the easiest way to do so was to carry him like he’d carry Sebastian.

Minseok, in his sleep, clung to Jongdae when the prince had set him on the bed. Jongdae couldn’t peel Minseok’s arms off from around his neck so he decided to just lay next to the sleeping man. He couldn’t help but smile as he watched Minseok breathe slowly with a small grin. Minseok was just something that brought light to his life and he didn’t want it to go away. But the thought of Minseok leaving in two days made his heart hurt. He had finally found the person who saved his life and had changed it just as quickly. He didn’t want Minseok to disappear. If anything, he wanted to stay on this bed with him and never move.

Jongdae didn’t realize he was crying until Minseok opened his eyes a little and touched Jongdae’s face, wiping the tears away with worry in his eyes.

Jongdae laughed before getting out of the bed and making Minseok stay. Even though he decided to let his emotions run their own race, he didn’t want to drag the merman down with him. All Minseok probably felt for him was gratitude.

“Go to sleep. We can have more fun when you’re awake in the morning. You’ve had a very long day.” Jongdae walked to the door and quietly watched as Minseok burrowed into the blankets and fall back asleep. Before he could shut the door, he noticed that Sebastian had slipped through his legs and dashed to the bed, curling up on the pillow next to Minseok’s face.

He shut the door silently behind him and when he got to his own room, he couldn’t think straight. “What have I gotten myself into?”

A candle was lit and a book in his hands as he tried to get himself to think about something else besides Minseok but it wasn’t working. With a sigh, he put the book down, blew out the candle and tried to sleep.

Needless to say, Jongdae didn’t get much sleep that night.

 

The morning brought an exhausted Jongdae to Minseok's door but as soon as the human prince opened it, his lack of sleep disappeared when he saw the merman. He felt his heart race and he knew that it wasn’t going change its decision to love the merman. No matter what his head told his heart, the heart wasn’t going to go back to its black and white view of life anymore.

The smile on his face wouldn’t drop. “Want to get something to eat before I take you on another adventure?”

Minseok had been staring out the open window and when he heard Jongdae’s voice, he turned with a smile to match the human’s and a bird on his finger. He nodded and set the bird on the stone sill before closing the window and waved to it before he skipped to Jongdae.

“Come on, there’s more fish waiting for you,” he elbowed Minseok but the merman obviously didn’t catch the sarcasm in Jongdae’s voice because he stopped and looked at him in exasperation. “I’m just kidding,” Jongdae laughed. Minseok still frowned but followed him anyway.

 

The sun was midway through the sky when Jongdae took Minseok back to the market. Despite having already been there, Jongdae was going to take Minseok shopping for things to take with him when he had to leave. The small pearl necklace was still around the merman’s neck, but Jongdae felt like he needed something else. Something a bit more extravagant.

They went from stall to stall, looking at what people were selling and when Minseok pointed out something that he really liked, Jongdae would buy it when Minseok wasn’t watching. He had a feeling that the merman would object to the gifts so he kept them secret in his bag.

After a few hours went by, Jongdae realized the bag was getting heavy. While Minseok was inspecting a goose with a wide smile of amazement on his face, Jongdae sat down to look inside his bag. He didn’t notice how much he had actually gotten until he looked but upon counting, there were fifteen necklaces, a couple books, and a ring. But not just any ring. It wasn’t one that Minseok had singled out; Jongdae decided to buy it because it fit the man so well. It was simple but it had a seashell on it. Jongdae thought about keeping it for himself to remember Minseok when the merman left but he couldn’t bring himself to do it. It was just Minseok.

He was in the clouds when he felt something tugging on his sleeve. Pulling himself back down to earth, Jongdae saw Minseok with a smile and the goose from before in his hands.

“Why do you have a goose?” Jongdae asked, slyly closing his bag so Minseok couldn’t see what was inside. Minseok pointed to himself and hugged the goose to his chest, making the animal squack. “I don’t think you should keep it;” Jongdae was wary of the goose. What was Minseok going to do with it? Keep it as a pet? Or would they have to sneak the goose into the kitchen without the merman noticing and then have to lie to him about its disappearance. Jongdae couldn’t do that to him.

Minseok, however, was adamant about it. He pouted and Jongdae broke. His pout was too cute for Jongdae to resist.

“Fine, you can keep the goose. Let me just pay the man for it.”

 

It was sunset and Minseok and Jongdae were sitting in the sand by the ocean. Not at the place where they first met but rather they were right outside the castle, watching the waves go in and out and quietly enjoying being near each other. Minseok had eaten quite a bit that day due to Jongdae’s endless source of money.

The merman was slowly falling asleep next to him but Jongdae had no intentions of letting him sleep yet. Besides, he hadn’t given him the things he had bought.

“Minseok,” Jongdae said, still looking at the red horizon. Minseok looked at him, his eyes drooping and Jongdae couldn’t help but smile. All he could do was smile when it came to Minseok. Somehow, a stranger had stolen his heart so quickly, he could barely think straight. He never thought someone could make him feel this way.

But Jongdae knew it wasn’t going to last.

He felt like it was a very one sided feeling.

But he didn’t care.

“I bought these for you,” Jongdae told Minseok, handing him the bag he had been carrying all day. “I could tell that you really liked them and I thought that it would be something nice to keep after your three days are up. I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow but I don’t want you to forget about me. You saved my life and I can’t forget that.”

Minseok couldn’t think. Is this what he had been searching for? Did Jongdae actually love him? However, the last part pulled him back. Jongdae was only being kind to him as payment for saving his life. He was only taking care of him because he was indebted to Minseok. But Minseok still looked into the bag with a heavy heart. He pulled out some of the necklaces and pretended to be happy even though he wasn’t really. Though, when he saw the ring with the shell, his smile was true. Jongdae must have thought hard about it because it was perfect.

All these human trinkets were pointless in comparison to the ring. And somehow, it fit his small fingers well. Even if he could speak, he wouldn’t be able to find the words to express just how he felt. It was simply perfect and Minseok felt like crying because it reminded him of home yet it wasn’t a feeling of sadness. He needed to feel his home before he turned to sea foam and lost everything. There was nothing better than this ring and without thinking, he leapt onto Jongdae and wrapped him into a hug with tears in his eyes.

“I see you like it. I’m glad,” Jongdae’s voice was soft and when Minseok pulled away, nodding and wiping away tears, his heart melted. He was hopelessly in love and there was no way it would go away when Minseok does. Before he leaves tomorrow, I will tell him how I feel. I can’t have him leave without telling him. Maybe, if I tell him, he will stay. I hope he can. He only gets to keep his legs for three days but wherever he is going, I want him to know that I love him. I know at least that much.

“Since we’re here, let me share my story and why I’m so grateful you saved me. It’s not much but it’s the most I can give besides these gifts.” Jongdae leaned down and played in the sand before starting. His past wasn’t all warm sunshine and flowers.

 

“Mother!”

The Sea King was angry and not even his mother could escape his wrath.

Minki had given the Sea King the news the day before that Minseok was dead after his sudden disappearance, but this had happened before when the King had been younger. He knew who was behind his son’s disappearance and he wasn’t pleased. It had taken him a bit to put the pieces together but he knew who had dones this.

The old mermaid turned from her table and smiled.

“My dear son, what has you in such a state?”

“You! What have you done to Minseok?” The king was fuming but it wasn’t getting to his mother. She did raise him and was used to his hot-headed temperament.

“Minseok? I haven’t seen him since the other day.”

The Sea King wasn’t falling for it. She had lied about this before, when his own brother had gone missing. “What did you give him? What did you do when he came to you after the shipwreck?”

“I didn’t do anything, dear. He told me what happened and then he left.”

“Don’t lie to me!” he shouted, slamming his staff onto the ground. “You gave him legs, just like you had done to Kiha so long ago.” His voice had dropped and a tone of sadness had crept into his voice.

She stopped. So he knew. There was no point in denying it anymore. She sighed. “Yes. I gave him the potion that I gave to Kiha forty years ago. Minseok came to me and told me about the human he had saved. I could tell that Minseok was truly in love with the human and I knew that nothing would change his mind. So I gave him what he came to me for. I hope this turns out differently than Kiha. But you know that Minseok cannot come home now. He made that choice himself. I told him the consequences and he accepted them.”

“What is going to happen then?”

“Either he gets the prince to fall in love with him by tomorrow at sunset or he turns into sea foam. I cannot change the outcomes. If I could, I would have after Kiha.”

The King dropped himself into a chair. He’d lost his brother to the humans and now he’d lost his son. “Why didn’t you learn from the last time that this was trouble?”

“I’m an old woman. I never learn.”

He looked up at her and all there was on his face was grief. “Why don’t you ever learn that merpeople and humans don’t mix? Why do you think I’ve outlawed interaction with humans? I wanted to prevent this from ever happening but look at what you’ve done.”

She put a hand on her son’s shoulder. “I’m truly sorry. If I could make the situation better, I would.”

He stood suddenly, scaring his mother and she moved away from him in fear. She had never been afraid of her son until now. This was the moment she realized she had gone too far.

“I don’t want to see you again. You’re no longer my mother.”

With that, he left.

In silence, the old mermaid realized just how far she had taken things and regretted everything she had done to Minseok and Kiha. But there was no turning back now and she could only hope that Minseok could win over the heart of this human prince because she needed him to live.

 

“When I was seven, my mother died.”

Jongdae’s sudden declaration startled Minseok. He hadn’t said anything for a while and Minseok had been patiently waiting but this isn’t what he expected, although he didn’t know for sure what he was hoping Jongdae had to say. He wanted to reach out and hold his hand but that would be too much.

Jongdae still didn’t look up from the swirls he was drawing in the sand as he continued. “I was told that while my father and she were travelling to her home in a neighboring kingdom, they were attacked and she didn’t make it out alive. I remember that my parents left me with Sunwoo and then my father coming home, shutting himself in his chambers, and not coming out until a month later. After that, he’s been distant. The last time I saw him it was four days ago. When I showed up after the shipwreck, he was only around for a few hours and then left me with Sunwoo like he always had.”

Minseok’s heart hurt. He didn’t want to see Jongdae like this. He didn’t want to see such a happy person so sad and he wanted to help but didn’t know how. Instead, Minseok stayed quiet. Jongdae didn’t sound like he was finished.

“The memories of the year after my mother died are faint. I remember the kingdom going into mourning and my father disappearing for a time. I know there was a terrible storm and many ships went under or so I’ve been told in recent years. The kingdom was a mess but my father was worse. He wouldn’t tell anyone how bad it was because he’s the king but those of us closest to him could tell he was broken. For a time, few people knew that Sunwoo was actually taking my father’s place when it came to business because my father couldn’t handle it. Sunwoo has been more of a father to me than my actual father in the past nine years.”

It was quiet for a while and when Minseok looked at the horizon, the sun was nearly gone. The sky was a dark blue and he could see the stars starting to come out. He felt so small compared to the rest of the world and he could barely make sense of Jongdae’s story. The human was more troubled than his perpetually smiling face showed. With nothing better to do, he reached across the small bit of space between them and took Jongdae’s hand into his own. It was the only way he could comfort Jongdae.

“I’ll be fine so don’t worry too much about me. I promise, I’m not going to act different now that I’ve told this to you. I will be the same as always.” He smiled wide and his pretty eyes squeezed shut because of such a wide smile that Minseok could tell was forced. “I wanted to tell you because I know that my life seems perfect on the outside but it’s really not. I didn’t want you of all people to get the wrong idea about me. I like you, Minseok, and that’s why.”

However, despite the heart wrenching story and the small confession, Minseok was falling asleep again. Unconsciously, he leaned onto Jongdae’s shoulder and fell to sleep.

The human listened Minseok’s even breathing and he knew that the merman had fallen asleep. He smiled again and softly laid down on the warm sand, letting Minseok curl into him in his sleep. Jongdae didn’t realize how tired he was until he was actually laying down and promptly followed Minseok into a slumber, content to just stay on this beach forever with the merman. He was so happy to be here and he wouldn’t change a thing.

 

When the dawn of the third and final day of Minseok’s humanity broke, Jongdae realized that they had slept on the beach all night even though he had woken up a few times because it had gotten cooler. During the night, Minseok had either been curled into Jongdae or he had spread out with his limbs everywhere, including in Jongdae’s face. However when Jongdae woke to the sun beating down on his skin, Minseok was hugging himself to the prince’s chest and sleeping with a smile on his face. Even though he knew that it was Minseok’s last day, he didn’t want to move. This is how he wanted to spend the entire day.

However, other people did not have that in mind.

“Jongdae.”

His heart stopped. He hadn’t heard that voice in a while and he knew he was in trouble.

“Dad,” he said, sitting up on his elbows, looking up at his father. Minseok was still attached but was slowly waking up.

The man looked exhausted but angry. “We need to talk.” He started to walk away and Jongdae was certain.

He was in deep .

 

“Don’t yell at him! This isn’t his fault!”

To say Jongdae was upset was the least. His father had all but pulled his son into the castle without another word. The door to the hallway they were currently in was barely shut before the king spoke, telling Jongdae he was an embarrassment but not even looking at him.

“You literally met him three days ago and now you’re asleep on the beach with him. How can I not say something to him?” His father’s tone nearly matched Jongdae’s and their voices echoed off the stone walls. “He’s a stranger. You cannot do this with a stranger.”

“You don’t know him like I do. You haven’t even bothered to meet him. I’m guessing Sunwoo told you that he was the one who saved me from that shipwreck so why haven’t you bothered to thank him for saving your son’s life and the future of this kingdom? Or have you completely forgotten about me? Because ever since Mom died you haven’t given a second thought to me.”

After those words were out of his mouth, he hated himself for it. But he didn’t completely regret them until the king finally turned around to look at his son. He was crying.

“How dare you.”

Jongdae stepped back. His father had never hit him but he wouldn’t doubt that this would be the first time. “I didn’t mean it, I swear. I’m sorry. Please.” From behind him, Minseok grabbed his hand and Jongdae could feel him shaking. Then they were both terrified.

“You think I’m going to hit you? I can’t believe you.” He took a step towards the two boys, still very angry. “First, you pick up this thing, then you proceed to spend all your time with it and ignore your duties. You never even bothered to come and tell me about him, leaving it to Sunwoo to tell me. But to top it all off, you blame all of this on me. What has gotten into you?”

Jongdae couldn’t think of an answer, too scared to even speak.

“Is it him? Is it because of him that you’re a different person?” Jongdae’s eyes moved off his father and that was the answer he needed. “He is. Why?” Another step and Jongdae’s breathing came back along with his voice.

“I love him!” He squeezed his eyes shut while clutching tighter to Minseok’s hand. “I love him and I won’t take it back. Even if he can’t talk, I still love him.”

 

Minseok couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Even though this is what he had wanted in the beginning, this is not how he wanted to find out. He didn’t know what to do so he ran. He dropped Jogndae’s hand and ran as fast as he could despite how much he wanted to stay.

He didn’t have anywhere else to go but he slightly remembered the way back to his beach and so he decided to go there, trying not to cry even though this was a good thing.

 

“Minseok, wait!” Jongdae had followed the merman outside but his father had grabbed his arm. “Leave me alone! That’s all you could have done was to just stay out of this. I don’t know where he’s gone and he probably doesn’t know either. He’s going to get lost and probably hurt. You don’t even know where he’s from. All of this is completely different from what he’s used to and now look at what you’ve done.” He was angry now and not even his father would be spared.

“Do you have any idea as to where he’s from? If he can’t talk, how do you know anything? How can you be so sure that this is different for him?” The king’s words were quiet now, in contrast to his son’s harsh voice.

“He’s a merman! Of course the world is confusing for him.”

Jongdae didn’t know what he had said until it was too late. His father stepped back in shock and just shook his head.

“He can’t be. They don’t exist.” Even though his words said one thing, his face said another. Hurt was obvious. Jongdae didn’t know how bad it hit until his father fell to the ground in shock. “They’re not real. The merpeople do not exist.” He was speaking to himself and Jongdae could only watch as his father fell to pieces.

“He told me they didn’t exist. So why are you telling me something else?” He looked at Jongdae, mixed emotions in his eyes. “Tell me Jongdae. Tell me what you mean.”

Jongdae stuttered on his words. “I-I saw Minseok change into a human. I saw his tail turn into legs. I saw it with my own eyes. What are you talking about? Who told you that?”

The king covered his face. “I want nothing to do with them. I don’t want to see that boy ever again. You’re never to speak of them again, you understand? You forget about that boy and forget about his existence.” Even though the words were muffled by hands, Jongdae heard very clear.

He didn’t intend to follow the instructions. He grabbed his father’s wrists, pulling his hands away from his face to show tears. “I will not do as you say until you tell me what you are talking about.” It was the first time he was blatantly rebelling but he couldn’t just forget about Minseok with one command.

His jaw moved but nothing came out. “Tell me,” Jongdae said but still his father didn’t speak. “Tell me,” he commanded again and still no response. “Tell me right now!” Jongdae finally screamed, shaking the man out of pure anger.

“One of them killed your mother!” the king yelled out while being shaken.

Jongdae stopped and released his father, taking a step back. “What?”

 

It was late afternoon and Minseok was sitting alone on the beach he had first come to. Jongdae hadn’t come after him and so he figured he would just turn to seafoam by himself. Even though Jongdae had said he loved Minseok, the merman was without true love’s kiss.

He didn’t know what else to do but sit there. There was nothing for him to do so he just waited, watching the waves move across the golden sand. He couldn’t even think of Jongdae without crying so he didn’t think.

The sun was almost touching the horizon when he heard more noise than just soft waves. He looked up and there was his father, out in the water as close to the shore as he could come.

“Minseok,” he said, his voice catching but he held out his arms anyway and Minseok knew the drill. His heart knew it anyway even if he didn’t quite want to. He jumped up and ran into the Sea King’s arms and cried because he hurt so much inside despite how loved he knew he was. “I know,” he said as his son wept on his shoulder. “It’s okay. Even if you think it’s not, it is. I brought this from home; your grandmother said it would allow you to speak.”

Minseok took the vial from his father’s hand and without a second thought, he drank it. His lungs felt like they would burst and his throat felt like it was on fire but he wouldn’t give in. Soon enough, as the pain went away, he spoke.

“I missed you so much;” and after not being able to speak for days, he found himself at a loss for words and began to cry again, tightly hugging his father again. After his tears faded again, he found a question. “What’s going to happen to me?”

The Sea King looked at his son with regret. “You’re going to die, Minseok.”

 

Jongdae was running through the woods as fast as he could because he had forgotten a horse. He needed Minseok despite what his father had told him about the merman he had encountered. He had a feeling Minseok would have gone to that beach and he decided to go with it because he knew he didn’t have time to go anywhere else before Minseok died.

His father’s chilling words were what made him run farther than he had even been able to before. The story of how his parents had been travelling through the countryside one time and a stranger had come out through the trees, disoriented. In the man’s confusion, he had grabbed for the closest person to him which had been Jongdae’s mother. She had been pulled from her horse and her neck broke when she collided with the ground. Of course the king had been distraught and stricken with grief, pulling his sword on the stranger but the voice that came out stopped him from killing the man. The man, with a voice as calming as a stream, claimed to be a merman and that he didn’t mean to harm anyone. It had been an accident the king knew, but he wasn’t about to let some story sway him. He had listened but it hadn’t been enough. The sword fell on the man’s neck but what happened made the king regret he hadn’t listened well enough. The stranger had turned to water, leaving the dry ground as mud but a small shell necklace that had been around his neck had been left intact. The king felt terrible, suddenly believing the man’s words and realized that the stranger had been blind, and so he had taken the necklace to the nearest beach and thrown it into the waves, never to see it again. But the next night, there was a terrible storm that lasted the entire week to follow, thus cementing the king’s belief in merpeople. But his grief and pain had prevented him from remembering about them until the very day his own son declared he was in love with one.

Jongdae continued to run, the outcome of Minseok’s three days as a human locked into his mind. He knew now that Minseok wasn’t going to be going somewhere else. He was going to die and turn into water. But he didn’t know how to prevent it. If only he had known why Minseok had chosen to become human, then he might know how to fix this but he didn’t. The only thing he knew was that he needed to get to the merman, if only to be with him in his final moments.

 

“I’m sorry I disobeyed you,” Minseok said, standing on the sand beneath the water that was up to his chest.

“It’s okay son, I know now why you did what you did. My own brother did something like this too. He had told me he wanted to go spend time with humans in order to understand them and your grandmother had given him legs. In exchange, he had given up his sight. Three days later, I found his necklace when I was on a trip.” the king touched the little shell necklace next to a second one he wore. “Ever since then, I have been so angry and I didn’t want anyone to ever come into contact with humans but your grandmother convinced me that my children were to go up to the surface at least once as a birthday gift. I shouldn’t have let her do that but I had been lucky until you were forced into the situation of being around humans. This is my fault, not yours. I cannot place the blame on you for what your heart feels. This would have been prevented if she had never meddled into lives that were not her own.”

“I’m still sorry,” his voice was quiet and he looked towards the setting sun that was almost halfway gone. “What will you do when I’m gone?”

The king placed his hand on Minseok’s head. “I will still love you as my son. Don’t worry about me or the rest of us.”

The tears were welling up again because he couldn’t help but think of everyone back home when he heard the trees on the shore moving along with a faint voice that neither could make out.

“Minseok!” It was Jongdae. He had burst through the foliage, his face and arms were bleeding from being caught on branches, and he fell to his knees in the sand.

Their eyes met despite the distance and ran towards each other, meeting where the waves met the beach and collapsing in the mix with a hug and tears. They couldn’t stop laughing and touching each other to make sure they were real. When they quickly recovered, they just stared before Jongdae spoke.

“Are you okay?”

Minseok smiled and moved a bit closer to Jongdae. “I’m about to be,” and closed the distance between them, meeting Jongdae’s lips like he had wanted to for what seemed like the longest time.

 

“Minseok, wait for me.”

Minseok was halfway out onto the beach when Jongdae called for him. He stopped and waited for Jongdae to get to him.

It had been a couple weeks since Minseok had kissed Jongdae and had been able to keep his legs and they were on their way to meet his brother.

“Even though you haven’t had legs forever, I swear you’re faster than me.” Jongdae was panting but Minseok didn’t wait. He grabbed Jongdae’s hand and dragged him into the water.

Minki was already waiting for them and he had a gift with him. Although Minseok was stuck on land for the rest of his life, it didn’t mean that he couldn’t see his family. However, since his grandmother had been forced to stay where she was as a punishment for sending her son to his death and leading Minseok to nearly die as well, Minseok wasn’t allowed to see her. But Minki could take messages home to her and that worked just as well.

“Minseok!” The brothers hugged as Jongdae caught up. “I brought this for you. I hope you need it.”

Minseok opened the container that Minki had handed him and smiled. It was a bunch of earrings and necklaces that he had gathered from a few years of going on trips with his father. “Thank you so much. I got something for you too. Or rather, Jongdae did because he was the one that paid for it.” He pulled a fork out of his pocket. “He says it’s to help with eating but I’ve never used it so I’m not sure how well it works. It looks like something you’d comb your hair with instead of using with food.”

“You use it to stab the food and put it in your mouth,” Jongdae explained.

Minki looked confused. “That’s so violent; why would you ever do that?” He ran the fork through his hair and Jongdae just shook his head. They all laughed but it got quiet.

“How’s Dad doing?” Minseok asked soberly.

“He’d fine. He misses you though. I haven’t told him that your father killed Kiha though. I think it’s better off if he never finds out. He’s happy that you’re happy and if he finds out, it won’t be pretty.”

Jongdae and Minseok had figured out that his uncle was the merman that had killed Jongdae’s mother but they had kept it from both their fathers, only telling Minki. It had been bothering them, not knowing what to do and Minki seemed to be the best option.

“Okay, then that is how it will stay. The three of us will be the only ones who know.” Jongdae nodded in agreement. “On that note, we need to head back. Sunwoo had a few things for us to do today dealing with some farmers.”

Minki smiled. “Then in three days, we meet again?”

Minseok nodded. “Three days and we will have news about the wedding.” He hugged his brother goodbye before swimming away with Jongdae.

Once on land, Jongdae sat down. “Can we stay here for the rest of the day? I’m tired,” he whined, pulling Minseok down with him. “I don’t want to go deal with those farmers again.”

“Jongdae, you know what Sunwoo said. He said that since your father isn’t feeling well, you had to step up and learn how to be the king. And you’re not going to dump this on me because I’m technically not even a human. They’re your people and you need to care for them.” Minseok didn’t care if he scolded Jongdae into getting up. He didn’t want to be the one who had to take care of this issue again.

“You’re so mean to me. Why do you guilt trip me into doing things?” Jongdae’s whine was adorable and Minseok wanted to give in but there was one more thing he could think of that might get this annoying puppy to get to work.

“I won’t marry you if you keep this up.”

Jongdae just looked at Minseok. “You wouldn’t do that.”

“I would. Now if you want me, you’re going to have to catch me.” Minseok began to run away from Jongdae and he didn’t need to look behind him to know that Jongdae was following.

It worked every time.