Set Me Free (Stone Angels AU - SuLay) by: littlelionlovesptv

EXO AU Collection

Credit for the photo of the graveyard goes to: DonDavisUK

Author's Note: This isn't based off anything in particular but the moving stone angels is roughly based off the weeping angels from Doctor Who though not very close.

-----------------------------------------

Yixing was walking through a misty graveyard at dawn before work one day. He was here to visit his mother, who had died twenty years earlier when he was child. Being twenty-nine, single, and an orphan, Yixing was used to being alone so the graveyard wasn't much different than his normal life.

This time though, he took a detour to the grave his mother occupied. He had enough time to look at the other parts of the graveyard today, purely out of curiosity. He'd always been too occupied with his yearly visits-- too upset. This year, his interest was peaked. Someone at work had told him there was this statue at the graveyard, an angel statue, that was very beautiful. Since it was a big place, Yixing hadn't seen it; his mother's grave being near the front while the statue was in the back where all the old graves were. The woman at work said that the man the statue was modeled after was guarding the grave. Even though Yixing had pressed for details, the woman had refused to tell him anything, saying the statue gave her a feeling of fear despite its beauty. She said that she felt like it had been watching her and Yixing wanted to know just what this statue was about.

Flowers in hand, Yixing walked right past the lane he would usually take to see his mother and continued towards the back of the lot. I'll go see her after I've looked at this angel. It took a while, but eventually he found the strange statue in all its marble glory. He knew it when he saw it. Yixing couldn't hold back from gasping when his eyes started from the feet of the stone and landed on the hard, cold face.

The eyes were downcast, head hanging low, as if he were looking at the grave he stood over. Hands were clasped in a motion Yixing remembered vividly from his mother's funeral-- a motion of distress and sadness. He could remember all the women crying and wringing their hands in this same motion and he knew that the women were worried about the poor nine-year-old boy who was now alone. The only thing Yixing could think of that would make the figure look down like that was if it were in great anguish about the person that rested in the grave. The angel's wings weren't unfurled-- they were just hanging by the man's sides, reflecting the sadness even more. Despite this, Yixing could only see perfection. He knew that if he had met the man who this angel was modeled after, he would have been the most beautiful man Yixing had ever met. In wonder, he placed his hand on the angel's feet and he shivered as a small chill went down his spine.

Yixing smiled and took his hand away-- he had satisfied his curiosity. As soon as his back was turned, the hair on the back of his neck stood on end as if something was watching him. He heard the shuffle of cloth but when his eyes landed on the angel after looking back, it stood still just like it had been. Yixing furrowed his brow and looked at the nameplate of the grave. It said Kim Junmyeon in gold lettering on the dark marble. This man must have been very rich to have such a grave. He shrugged and turned again to leave but the same feeling went down his back. He heard feathers shifting and this time when he turned, the statue wasn't there. His eyes widened and he felt his breathing stop. He knew that he had to get out of there.

He dropped the flowers and began to run away from the grave, forgetting about seeing his mother. All he wanted was to get out and tell his coworker that she was right. He was almost halfway through the lot when his shoulder was grabbed and he was forced to stop. Yixing knew that he'd have dark bruises in no less than an hour from the strength of the grip.

Turning, he saw the stone eyes of the angel staring right at him. The full lips parted with a grind and a raspy voice came to his ears.

“Are you the one to set me free?” The voice sounded like broken glass and it set Yixing's nerves on edge. He couldn't fathom words and just let his mouth hang open. He wondered what the angel meant by that but he was in shock. “Are you going to set me free?” it asked again, stepping closer with a hand still on Yixing's shoulder. The stone angel was only a foot away and Yixing couldn't get away and yet he couldn't answer this thing. “You are, aren't you? You're going to free me.” Yixing couldn't breathe as the figure stepped closer, leaving only an inch between their faces. He wanted to scream but his throat wasn't working.

“Thank you,” it whispered, stone lips scratching Yixing's own lips and causing them to bleed. Without another hesitation, the figure's lips were against his and strangely, he could feel his strength fading. Soon, he was on his knees but the angel didn't take his lips off Yixing's. His breathing was getting shallower and his heart was slowing down and he knew that the angel was taking his strength somehow.

As he lay down on the ground, sapped of all his will with his eyes closing, he could see the angel standing above him with a smile. It was no longer stone, this time a human being-- albeit with wings. Its eyes were dark and the dark hair was pushed back carefully, just like it had been before when it was stone. Yixing knew he was dying but somehow he was filled with warmth so he smiled despite the situation.

The angel knelt next to him and took his hand. “Thank you,” it said, the voice now soft and comforting. “You freed me.” The man-- Junmyeon, Yixing thought aimlessly-- put his other hand on Yixing's cheek with a sad smile.

The next thing he knew, his eyes were shut and all he knew was darkness for just moments more and then--

Oblivion.