Ch. [06]

Good Friends

 

 

Kyuhyun sat in front of Hyukjae and held his shoulders firmly, looking into the smaller’s eyes. “You’re actually really beautiful,” he declared.

 

Hyukjae raised an eyebrow, looking at Kyuhyun, wondering of the taller had actually food poisoning or if he just seriously went insane. Hyukjae wouldn’t doubt for a second that his friend was out of his mind. He suddenly remembered the way Kyuhyun woke up in the middle of the night laughing loudly because of a funny dream or those times he would start screaming and fighting to no one.

 

The ultimate answer was that yes, Kyuhyun had gone mad. “Alright… ok…,” Hyukjae laughed nervously, slowly taking away Kyuhyun’s hands from him. “Why don’t you go tell everyone about how beautiful they are? I’m pretty sure everyone will be delighted…”

 

Kyuhyun groaned. “I’m serious!”

 

“I know,” Hyukjae nodded. “But I have to leave now, Kyu. Do you by any chance want me to take you to the infirmary?”

 

“Infirmary?” Kyuhyun sighed. “Why would I go there?”

 

Hyukjae smiled. “Don’t worry, denial is the first step but you’ll get over it,” he said, patting Kyuhyun’s shoulder before standing up, turning around and going out of the classroom.

 

Kyuhyun groaned, standing up to follow the other. “Yah Hyukjae! You listen to me, little !”

 

“Goddammit Kyuhyun, don’t ing curse in the ing halls,” Hyukjae groaned, walking to his locker and opening it to take out some books. “How ing vulgar.”

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “Hyukjae, you told me you liked me,” he said. “Come on, accept it!”

 

Hyukjae felt his heart starting to beat faster, but he was prepared this time. He turned around and breathed in and out deeply, looking into Kyuhyun’s eyes. “Kyuhyun,” he called, serious. “I like you.”

 

Kyuhyun gasped, feeling his entire body freeze in delight and surprise. He didn’t expect Hyukjae to do it so easily and he was caught off guard. “R-Really?”

 

“Yes, really,” Hyukjae said again, turning around to close his locker once again. “Not as much as I like coffee, though.”

 

Kyuhyun’s ticklish sensation quickly left his body. “You ing hate coffee.”

 

Hyukjae smiled sweetly. “Exactly.”

 

Kyuhyun groaned. “Goddammit Hyukjae! You’re a ing !”

 

“Believe me, you would love to have my ,” Hyukjae grinned widely and playfully, winking at Kyuhyun before turning around to go to his next class.

 

Kyuhyun froze, eyes wide open and heart racing madly. He took his hand up to cover his mouth and half of his face before looking down. He didn’t want to accept he was blushing at Hyukjae’s comment. “I…,” he mumbled for himself. “I wouldn’t mind it…”

 

……………………….

 

Hyukjae was sitting alone again, not eating, as always. “Oh, look what a dip came by,” he commented as soon as he saw Kyuhyun sitting in front of him.

 

Kyuhyun was about to retort when he noticed how swollen was Hyukjae’s face, and how even his eyes seemed smaller. He frowned. “What happened to you?” he asked, leaning in to hold Hyukjae’s chin firmly. “What the ? You look like someone just broke your heart again.”

 

Hyukjae smiled, shaking his head. It was so rare to see Hyukjae smiling so sweetly like that, that Kyuhyun started getting worried. “I broke it myself,” he simply said. Kyuhyun was even more confused than before.

 

“Well, aren’t you stupid, then?” Kyuhyun shook his head. “So ing annoying. Now I’ll have to stay in your house for the rest of the week.”

 

Hyukjae raised an eyebrow, rolling his eyes before closing the book in his hands. “I’m pretty sure you just want the food in my fridge.”

 

“Ninety percent of my visit is the food, the other ten is about how comfortable your bed is,” Kyuhyun grinned widely.

 

“ing idiot,” Hyukjae glared at the taller, standing up. “Don’t be late.”

 

Kyuhyun smiled, nodding eagerly as he saw Hyukjae leave.

 

Afternoon came by quickly and Kyuhyun just stepped into Hyukjae’s house without even knocking. He looked around and after a few minutes, he found the smaller in his room, once again, reading a book. “Why do you like to read so much?” he asked as he sat down by his side on the bed, sprawling his legs all over it.

 

Hyukjae turned the page of his book. “Because it’s a nice way to forget about myself.”

 

Kyuhyun looked at his best friend, smiling. “Then, you could start thinking about me, instead.”

 

Hyukjae didn’t even flinch. “I already do,” he admitted. “But it stresses me out.”

 

Kyuhyun didn’t know why he smiled so bright. “Because you like me that much?”

 

“Because I don’t know why you’re still my friend,” Hyukjae said, sighing deeply before closing his book and throwing it to the bed, turning towards Kyuhyun. “Let’s play something.”

 

Kyuhyun stood silent for a few seconds before nodding slowly. “Starcraft?”

 

Hyukjae nodded as well, yawning softly.

 

They spent the next hours playing in silence, with only two pauses to call for Chinese food and eating it when it arrived.

 

Hyukjae took out the sleeping bag. Even when all the rooms of his house were free, they still slept like that since they met. They changed into comfortable clothes, though Hyukjae would probably not remember since he was already sleepy and walking around with eyes half closed.

 

“Hyukjae…,” Kyuhyun called, looking down at Hyukjae trying to get into the sleeping bag.

 

Hyukjae simply hummed, hissing in annoyance when he couldn’t just get in in the first try. “Goddammit. This is all your fault, Kyuhyun.”

 

“What?!” Kyuhyun exclaimed. “I’m not the one who kept you awake the entire week!”

 

“Yes you were!” Hyukjae pouted, standing up and stomping his feet on the floor childishly. “You idiot,” he rubbed his eyes. “I can’t ing stop thinking.”

 

Kyuhyun felt his heart starting to beat faster and he smiled, patting the spot besides him. “Come here you sleepy head,” he said, gentler than he ever expected to even talk.

 

Surprisingly. Hyukjae obeyed. He dragged his feet to the bed and threw himself on it, clumsily sliding under the covers.

 

Kyuhyun looked at Hyukjae, smiling widely. “Hey, Hyuk,” he called, shaking the smaller’s body. “Yah, wake up, you piece of .”

 

“Shut the up, head,” Hyukjae groaned, covering his entire body with his covers, making sure his head was covered. “It’s so ing late, I hate you so much.”

 

“It’s only six in the morning,” Kyuhyun said, uncovering Hyukjae slightly. “I have something to say to you.”

 

“You have years ahead in our lives to do it,” Hyukjae mumbled, closing his eyes tightly. “Now please let me sleep.”

 

Kyuhyun sighed deeply. “Fine, you ing ,” he complained. “I always listen to you whenever you have a ing problem and now look at this. You’re such a ing piece of bull.”

 

Hyukjae groaned, forcing his body to sit up and open his eyes to glare at Kyuhyun. “I swear to god, Kyuhyun, if this isn’t important, I’ll ing slice your throat.”

 

Kyuhyun grinned widely in satisfaction. “Alright,” he said. “So look, there’s someone I like,” he declared.

 

Hyukjae opened his eyes widely, feeling his chest being squeezed painfully. He nodded slowly, looking away. “Then just go for it,” he said, playing with the hem of the covers.

 

Kyuhyun smiled. “I think that person likes me too,” he said, noticing how Hyukjae bit his lower lip.

 

“Really? What are you waiting for?” Hyukjae asked, almost in a whisper.

 

“I ask myself that, too,” Kyuhyun smiled. “We both like each other, but that person is so insecure, I think he won’t believe me even if I scream it to his face…”

 

Hyukjae wasn’t even listening anymore. “Just don’t think too much and do whatever you want…,” it was the most neutral advice he could think of in that moment.

 

“You think so?” Kyuhyun asked, nodding and humming in agreement. “The thing is,” he said. “That if I do that, what will he think?”

 

Hyukjae sighed deeply and closed his eyes for a second. “If he likes you, he’ll be happy, Kyuhyun.”

 

Kyuhyun smiled widely. “Do you think I should confess?” he asked, poking Hyukjae’s shoulder. “Or should I just walk to him and kiss his lips?”

 

“You’re so ing extremist,” Hyukjae said, turning around and lying down again. “Just tell him you like him, and if you feel like it, just kiss him,” he said. “I have nothing else to say…,” and he stood silent, because the knot in his throat was making him unable to talk further.

 

Kyuhyun hummed, looking at how Hyukjae’s figure was small and fragile, almost begging for him to hug him. He smiled. He knew why Hyukjae was turning on his back to him. “You know…,” he started again.

 

“Kyuhyun,” Hyukjae interrupted abruptly, his voice low and hoarse. “Please shut up.”

 

Kyuhyun felt his chest contract in a painful episode before continuing. “No,” he said firmly. “I want to tell you how beautiful he is.”

 

“I don’t want to hear it, Kyuhyun,” Hyukjae admitted, clenching on the sheets tightly. “Not now, I’m sleepy.”

 

“He’s the person I’m the most comfortable with,” Kyuhyun continued, ignoring Hyukjae’s pleas. “I find him especially fascinating and I think I can only be myself when I’m by his side.”

 

“Goddammit Kyuhyun,” Hyukjae groaned, bringing up his knees to his chest. It hurt. “Just shut the up.”

 

“And he has a great smile. He doesn’t think he’s even pretty, but I think he is, and so my club members,” Kyuhyun was stubborn. “I’ve been trying to isolate him from everyone because I want him all for myself… but he thinks it’s because he’s not attractive enough.”

 

Hyukjae wasn’t talking anymore, and Kyuhyun feared for a few seconds that the smaller had fallen asleep. A small movement of Hyukjae’s feet, made him know he was still awake.

 

“I know it’s selfish,” Kyuhyun said. “And I should apologize…,” he sighed deeply. “But you know, I don’t regret it… because thanks to that, I’ve been able to hug him for long minutes. And he can be himself with me, which is great, because that doesn’t happen often… He’s someone I laugh with all the time. Is it because I’m really happy by his side, Hyukjae?”

 

It took a few seconds for the smaller to reply. “Maybe…,” he simply muttered. “Now please, please, Kyuhyun… shut up…”

 

“No wait!” Kyuhyun exclaimed, almost happily. “You know what I hate about him?” He asked, not waiting for an answer. “The way he cries. He never believes in me and thinks I’m no one. He doesn’t even remember me! He just goes around saying no one likes him and all that stuff when I’m right in front of him! It’s so damn annoyed. It irks me so much that I just want to kiss him.”

 

Hyukjae was trembling, closing his eyes tightly before humming lowly, not having enough energy to say anything more.

 

“You know what?” Kyuhyun smiled. “I think I’ll follow your advice and tell him I like him. He really is perfect.”

 

Hyukjae stood up, never facing Kyuhyun and quickly walking to the door. “I’ll sleep in the main room tonight,” he simply whispered.

 

Kyuhyun gasped softly, standing up quickly to jog after Hyukjae, reaching him just when the smaller was about to open the door. “Hyukjae,” he called lovingly. “Hyuk,” he called again, making Hyukjae turn around slowly.

 

Hyukjae wanted to cry. His eyes were red from keeping the tears in and his lip was swollen from how much he was biting it. He quickly looked down. “I think I got conjunctivitis or something…,” he mumbled.

 

Kyuhyun smiled, holding Hyukjae’s chin with one of his hands as the other held his waist gently. “Hyukjae,” he called again, looking into the smaller’s eyes. “I like you.”