Ch. [03]

Good Friends

 

 

"Are your parents on tour again?" Kyuhyun asked as he sat down in front of Hyukjae.

 

"Yeah, they got a new member," Hyukjae said, looking down at his salad and then at Kyuhyun's hamburger. He frowned slightly and exchanged their plates, grinning widely at the tasteful food in front of him.

 

Kyuhyun looked down at his new plate and rolled his eyes, reaching his hand forward to grab the fork and eat the salad instead. "Ah yeah, I read about it last night," he said. "I also heard Donghae moved out of town..."

 

Hyukjae raised an eyebrow, humming as he bit the hamburger. "You know a lot of things," he said. "I'll ask you my fortune later."

 

Kyuhyun chuckled, staving the lettuce with the fork. "You'll die," he simply said. "How is the long distance relationship going?"

 

Hyukjae the corner of his lips, holding the hamburger with both of his hands. "I don't know, ask his girlfriend."

 

Kyuhyun looked up, studying Hyukjae's face. He smiled as he saw how Hyukjae really didn't seem to care. "I thought you were his boyfriend."

 

"I was," Hyukjae said, putting the hamburger down to grab Kyuhyun's coke. "But we broke up a day before he left."

 

Kyuhyun grinned widely. "And you know who the girlfriend is?" He asked, grabbing his coke again to drink from it. 

 

"Of course I know, I'm not as stupid as you are," Hyukjae said, grabbing the rest of the hamburger to bring it up his mouth.

 

"So far, you’re the stupidest person I've met," Kyuhyun said. "Who's the girl? Do I know her?"

 

Hyukjae bit the hamburger again, nodding at Kyuhyun's question. "You know her," he mumbled, still chewing before drinking from Kyuhyun's coke again.

 

Kyuhyun stood silent for a few seconds before groaning impatiently. "You won't tell me who the lucky girl is?"

 

Hyukjae smiled innocently. "You know it all, you tell me."

 

"Goddammit Hyukjae, I'm not a ing fortune teller," Kyuhyun sighed annoyed. "Whatever, you'll tell me later. Since you'll be alone and all depressed over Donghae, I'll go stay in your house tonight."

 

Hyukjae raised an eyebrow, satisfied with half the hamburger already. "No need, Seohyun and I will go out."

 

Kyuhyun spit out the coke he was drinking, showering Hyukjae entirely. "With Seonuts?! You're replacing me with her?!"

 

"ing dammit Kyuhyun!" Hyukjae groaned, reaching for Kyuhyun's bag to take out the taller's shirt, cleaning his face. "Have some class, idiot."

 

"That's not the point," Kyuhyun helped Hyukjae clean his face. "Can I go with you tonight?"

 

"It's Friday, go and make out with Victoria or something," Hyukjae said, finally pushing Kyuhyun's hands away from his face. 

 

"I can't, she'll go out of town with a friend," Kyuhyun sighed. "Let me go with you..."

 

"I thought you didn't like Seohyun," Hyukjae said, looking down at his stained shirt, groaning in annoyance before trying to clean it.

 

"I don't, but you seem to get along with her and I want to know why the you're replacing me," Kyuhyun said, reaching for the half of hamburger Hyukjae left, bringing it to his mouth.

 

"She doesn't shower me in coke," Hyukjae said, pouting as he looked down at the permanent stain on his shirt. "You owe me a new shirt."

 

It was the second time Kyuhyun got to see such adorable sight and he smiled, almost idiotically. "Sure, whatever. I'll buy you everything you want if you let me go with you tonight." 

 

Hyukjae looked up, smiling widely. "Deal!"

 

…………………………

 

"Oh my god! Kyuhyun-shi!" Seohyun chirped happily, jumping up and down excitedly. 

 

Kyuhyun smiled awkwardly, stepping back behind Hyukjae, whispering into the smaller's ear. "Protect me and I'll be your slave for the whole weekend."

 

Hyukjae grinned widely. "You're being so kind lately," he laughed. "But deal!"

 

The rest of the night in that fair, Kyuhyun spent every second of it looking carefully how Hyukjae and Seohyun interacted. He squinted his eyes carefully, at the way they laughed together and how Seohyun seemed almost like a charming girl by Hyukjae's side. 

 

A few hours later, after hundreds and hundreds spent on Hyukjae, Seohyun went home and so they did. "She almost looks normal," Kyuhyun commented as they walked back home, almost at two in the morning. 

 

Hyukjae rolled his eyes, eating the cotton candy slowly. "Being normal is boring," he said. "She's actually a really interesting girl."

 

"Is she your best friend now?" Kyuhyun glared at Hyukjae. "May I remind you, I'm ing first priority in your life."

 

Hyukjae laughed, shaking his head. "Not my best friend, but she's been so nice to me... Maybe because she wants to get closer to you."

 

Kyuhyun gasped softly. "Does she know who Donghae's girlfriend is?"

 

Hyukjae rolled his eyes, handing the candy to Kyuhyun when he was finally satisfied. "Maybe," he simply said.

 

Kyuhyun grinned widely and the next Monday he went quickly to sit in front of Seohyun in the cafeteria. "Hey...," he smiled widely. 

 

Seohyun looked up, gasping surprised before grinning widely. "Hi!" She greeted overly excited.

 

Kyuhyun smiled charmingly. "Hey, Seohyun...," he grinned widely. "You know... Hyukjae's ex-boyfriend, Donghae?" He asked, grinning widely at her.

 

Seohyun nodded excitedly. "He's my cousin!"

 

Kyuhyun gasped, opening his eyes widely. "Does Hyukjae know?!"

 

"Of course!" Seohyun nodded excitedly again. "He has always known!"

 

Kyuhyun frowned slightly, wanting to ask further before remembering his main objective. "Anyway," he cleared his throat. "You know... He has a girlfriend, right?" He asked. "And somehow, Hyukjae didn't seem as sad as times before, so I'm really curious, do you know her?"

 

The smile on Seohyun's face disappeared and he looked away nervously, shyly nodding. "I know her...," he said, biting her lower lip. "Oh, someone is calling me! It was nice to meet you Kyuhyun-shi!" She said hurriedly, standing up to literally, run away from him.

 

By then, Kyuhyun was sure something fishy was going on.

 

 

"You're not telling me, and it makes me even more curious," Kyuhyun whined, throwing himself on Hyukjae's bed. "So it keeps bugging me... And I want to know..."

 

Hyukjae kicked Kyuhyun out, making him fall down the bed. "She's in some of your classes, that's all the information I'll give you."

 

Kyuhyun groaned annoyed, rubbing his as he pulled himself up. "So ing annoying, Hyukjae," he said, once again lying on the bed.

 

"I know," Hyukjae sighed out, cuddling against his blanket. "You get the sleeping bag tonight."

 

Kyuhyun hummed, closing his eyes before opening them again, turning to his side to see how Hyukjae was slowly falling asleep. He smiled slightly and turned up again, staring at the ceiling. 

 

"Is it Victoria?"

 

Hyukjae opened his eyes widely, freezing in his spot in nervousness. "I-"

 

"So it's her...," Kyuhyun closed his eyes. "So that was the reason of all this secrecy..."

 

Hyukjae sat up, looking at Kyunyun. "Look, I wanted to tell you, but I didn't know how you would react and I just...," he bit his lower lip. "I hated the idea of seeing you sad and-"

 

"Hyuk..." Kyuhyun couldn't help himself to smile, opening his eyes to look at Hyukjae's adorable troubled face. "It's alright...," he said, calmer than he ever expected to. 

 

Hyukjae looked at him worriedly, biting his lower lip harshly. "Kyu..."

 

"It's alright...," Kyuhyun repeated.

 

But it wasn't alright. Kyuhyun's voice was cracking and his hands were trembling slightly. Hyukjae looked at Kyuhyun worriedly, leaning down to wrap his arms around the taller's body. "I'm sorry, Kyu..."

 

Kyuhyun didn't say anything, but he clang onto Hyukjae desperately, crying his heart out. They spent hours on the bed, hugging each other before they fell asleep out of tiredness. Kyuhyun didn't let go of the smaller, even if he was already deep asleep. 

 

The next Monday, Kyuhyun went to sit by Hyukjae's side, sighing deeply. Hyukjae glanced at him and dedicated him a soft smile before handing him a small candy bar.

 

By the way Victoria was crying desperately, surrounded by all her friends, Hyukjae was sure they had broken up already. He sighed softly, looking how Kyuhyun was looking down with an empty gaze and he stood up. "Come on, Kyu, let's go somewhere else."

 

Kyuhyun didn't say a thing. He just nodded and followed Hyukjae, leaving their trays with food behind. 

 

Hyukjae decided skipping classes was the best decision and he knew Kyuhyun didn't mind just because he didn't say anything. They went to Hyukjae's house and Hyukjae sat him down the couch, handing him the control so they could play video games.

 

Kyuhyun looked up at Hyukjae and gave him a thankful smile before sighing deeply, holding the control firmly before losing his mind into the game.

 

Hyukjae called for pizza and they ate loudly, telling jokes and throwing food to each other when they got tired of the other. "You're so ing annoying," Hyukjae groaned, pushing Kyuhyun upstairs. 

 

"You like me being this ing annoying," Kyuhyun laughed, finally getting into Hyukjae's room.

 

"You wish, you're a ing ," Hyukjae said as both of them threw their bodies to the bed, sighing out tiredly. "Now sleep, you drain my energy away."

 

Kyuhyun hummed, now not minding who would get the sleeping bag. They slept peacefully, sometimes hitting each other after feeling so cramped in their sleeps and sometimes just holding onto each other. Either way, they never complained. 

 

…………………………

 

"Now you regret it, don't you, Cho?" Hyukjae grinned widely, laughing softly after Kyuhyun threw a glare at him. 

 

"Shut up," Kyuhyun groaned, taking his fork to stab the small pieces of meat on his plate.

 

"So he changed his entire schedule to be with her but now it's awkward because they're no longer together," Seohyun giggled, gasping after Kyuhyun also glared at her.

 

"He's not as brilliant as he thinks he is," Hyukjae laughed, handing Kyuhyun some candies. 

 

"The only thing that makes me feel better is that you're stupider than me," Kyuhyun said, taking the candies from Hyukjae.

 

"You wish, idiot," Hyukjae said, pursing his lips tightly. 

 

"You were cheated on four times, Hyuk," Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow. "And by the same guy. You need to have no brain to accept that."

 

Hyukjae frowned. He pursed his lips tightly because he hated the way it hurt to even start to think about Donghae. "At least I knew," he said. "She cheated on you for almost your entire relationship with not one, but like three dudes and you didn't know, airhead."

 

Kyuhyun let his fork down, truly hurt by Hyukjae's words. "Maybe the reason she kept me by her side was that I'm actually worth it," he said. "Unlike you."

 

Hyukjae felt his chest contract painfully. He knew he had been too severe to his best friend, but he was also hurt. He bit his lower lip harshly, looking down at his lap before standing up, looking down at the taller male. " you, Kyuhyun."

 

He turned around, leaving the cafeteria because he felt like crying. Out of all people, he expected Kyuhyun to use his insecurities against him the least. He went to the library, blinking rapidly the tears that formed in his eyes and sitting down on one of the chairs, waiting for the bell to ring.

 

Kyuhyun groaned frustrated, running his fingers through his hair, almost pulling it out. He knew how insecure was Hyukjae, and he didn't intent to be so rough to him, but he was angry. He grunted lowly, standing up from the table to go away angrily.

 

Seohyun looked around. She was left alone on the table and some students were looking towards her. She looked down and grabbed her tray of food, going away as soon as possible.