Ch. [04]

Good Friends

 

 

Hyukjae didn't attend the only class they had together and the meetings after school of his club wasn't going to allow him to go and reach Hyukjae on his way home. Kyuhyun wanted to apologize, but he couldn't contact the smaller and he would have to wait to go to the other's house.

 

It had been almost a week already. Kyuhyun ate lunch with his club friends mostly because he didn't know how to approach Hyukjae. He would glance at him from time to time, looking how he ate alone, being accompanied by Seohyun for some minutes. He didn't eat anything, a bad habit Hyukjae had. 

 

"Hey," Kyuhyun greeted as he sat down by Hyukjae's side in the classroom, smiling.

 

Hyukjae looked up from his book and raised an eyebrow. "Wow, this finally decides to greet the peasants." 

 

Kyuhyun smiled sincerely. "You're kind of a special peasant, so watch your mouth if you don't want to fall off my grace," he said, grinning widely as Hyukjae simply rolled his eyes and looked once again to his book. "Hey Hyuk...," he called softly, getting nervous just because he was going to accept his mistakes.

 

Hyukjae didn't look away from his book. "Yes, dip?" He simply asked, his eyes scanning the words written down expertly. 

 

Kyuhyun opened his mouth to speak just as the teacher came in. "Never mind," he groaned, looking to the front annoyed.

 

Hyukjae glanced at Kyuhyun by the corner of his eyes, biting his lower lip before closing his book and opening the one he was going to use for the class.

 

At the end of the hour, they never had time to speak because they had to run to their next class. It was in the last minute that Kyuhyun saw Hyukjae sliding a small paper towards his table and he quickly read the words, just as the teacher dismissed the class. "I'm sorry for what I said, you're stupid but you didn't deserve to know it that way."

 

Kyuhyun laughed softly, looking up just to realize Hyukjae was gone. He smiled widely before texting the other how horrible he was with apologies and receiving a simple ' you' back.

 

It was lunch already and Kyuhyun ran to the cafeteria to meet Hyukjae, only to notice how Minho was talking to him. He felt the sting of jealousy run through his body but he quickly dismissed it and decided to just turn around and go with the rest of the members of the basketball club.

 

Minho was a year younger, but he could have anyone he wished he could. He went into the basketball club just as soon as he came into the school, just as Kyuhyun two years before. 

 

Kyuhyun glanced at his team member from time to time, frowning deeply as he saw how Hyukjae laughed at his jokes and how the tall male smiled charmingly at him. 

 

From then on, Kyuhyun barely had time to meet with Hyukjae and chat all by themselves. Minho was draining all of Hyukjae's free time for at least a month and Kyuhyun was growing desperate.

 

"What's going on with him?" Kyuhyun asked as he could finally go to Hyukjae's house.

 

"Nothing much," Hyukjae smiled.

 

Kyuhyun shivered at Hyukjae's smile. It was that kind of smile he loved but hated. It was a bright, dreamy smile, but it wasn't because of him. "Nothing much?" He asked back. "You've been together all the time since weeks ago."

 

"He's really nice," Hyukjae chuckled. "Learn from him, Kyu."

 

"Kyu?" Did Hyukjae just called him by his cute nickname? Was he drunk? Kyuhyun was starting to hate Minho. "Are you alright?”

 

Hyukjae raised an eyebrow. "Of course!" He exclaimed with a bright smile.

 

…………………………

 

"What do you think of him?" Kyuhyun asked, glancing at the pair of males talking happily.

 

Seohyun looked at the couple. "I think they look cute together," she smiled. "Hyukjae is smiling so wide!"

 

Kyuhyun groaned. "Seohyun, that's not what I wanted to hear," he said, glaring at the girl.

 

"Then you shouldn't have asked," Seohyun raised an eyebrow. "If you're jealous, just tell Hyukjae, I don't think he knows your feelings."

 

Kyuhyun chocked on the strawberry milk he was drinking, coughing loudly before looking at Seohyun incredulously. "W-What?"

 

Seohyun flinched surprised and looked at the male in front of him. "Oh... You didn't realize it yet?"

 

Kyuhyun opened his mouth, having nothing to say in reality but wanting to do so. He closed his eyes, his face screamed just how confused he was by Seohyun's statement. He looked at the girl and then at the couple before looking back at her. "Of course I’m jealous, he's my best friend and I barely have time to play around with him," he said, drinking again from the strawberry milk.

 

"Sure," Seohyun smiled sweetly. "That's why you've started drinking Hyukjae's favorite drink for the last weeks and you've been stalking him and Minho whenever you have time," she said. 

 

"Who said I'm stalking him?!" Kyuhyun didn't intent to sound so outraged. "I'm just... It's a coincidence!" 

 

Seohyun laughed and nodded, patting Kyuhyun's shoulder. "If you don't intend to tell him your feelings, be prepared."

 

Kyuhyun looked at the girl confused. "How many times do I have to tell you? He's my best friend!"

 

Seohyun slapped her own forehead. "Seriously...," she hissed, shaking her head before looking up at Kyuhyun. "Look, if theres' someone who knows your habits, expressions, and all about you, that's me, and you can't fool me."

 

"That's really creepy Seohyun," Kyuhyun stepped back.

 

"I am a creepy girl!" Seohyun exclaimed, as if that was obvious and Kyuhyun had just realized it. "But you're stupid and that's worse!"

 

Kyuhyun gasped. "Yah-"

 

"Don't talk to me," Seohyun turned away, shutting Kyuhyun up with a simple gesture of her hand. "I don't talk with stupid people."

 

"What-" Kyuhyun was left alone as Seohyun walked away without a word and he rolled his eyes, once again leaning against the wall to look at how comfortably Hyukjae and Minho talked to each other, frowning deeply when Minho initiated skin ship and Hyukjae didn't even flinch. 

 

 

"Actually, if you look at him up close, he's really beautiful!" Minho exclaimed as the team was chatting randomly before practice.

 

Kyuhyun frowned. He already knew that. Not that he would accept it to Hyukjae, but he was first to discover it! "Hey! Have you kissed yet?" Kyuhyun's head snapped up, hearing how one of his teammates asked that, and he looked at Minho intently.

 

Minho laughed. "Are you kidding me?" He asked, a smirk growing up his face. "I've gone all the way to second base!" He exclaimed. "He has a really nice ."

 

Kyuhyun frowned deeply, opening his mouth to say something before being interrupted. "Man, I'm losing this bet."

 

It took only two seconds for Minho to be against the lockers, Kyuhyun grabbing his collar roughly. "What the are you doing with Hyukjae?!"

 

Minho coughed, clearly surprised by the sudden act. The entire room went silent before some teammates tried to sooth Kyuhyun away. "Calm down Kyuhyun, we're just having fun."

 

The answer infuriated Kyuhyun even more and he was taken back before he could punch the younger.

 

 

"Don't let him get close to you ever again," Kyuhyun said firmly, sitting down in front of Hyukjae. 

 

"What?" Hyukjae raised an eyebrow, his fork playing with a small piece of tomato in his salad.

 

"Minho. Don't meet him again," Kyuhyun repeated as firm as before.

 

Hyukjae frowned stopping the movements of his hand. "Excuse you?"

 

"He's not interested in you, Hyukjae. He's just playing!" Kyuhyun said, almost desperately. 

 

Hyukjae pressed his lips together. "It may be unbelievable, Kyuhyun," he said. "But maybe, just maybe, someone finally got attracted to me. Is it too hard to accept I'm not just a piece of useless ?"

 

Kyuhyun groaned. "That's not what I meant, Hyukjae," he said. "He's just using you! He has no interest in whatever you are."

 

Apparently, Kyuhyun could have worded that better. "Believe it or not, I can actually be slightly interesting," Hyukjae stood up. "Maybe not even a tenth of what you are, but it's something," he looked at Kyuhyun and bit his lip. "I'm leaving," he announced, turning away and leaving before Kyuhyun could actually explain himself. 

 

…………………………

 

Kyuhyun held the umbrella over him firmly, looking around frenetically before running to look in another area. The rain was so dense that he could barely see what was in front of him.

 

It took him almost an hour to find his objective and as soon as he did, he ran to him. "Hyukjae, dammit, you'll get ing sick and your parents are gone for a month!" He scolded, placing the umbrella over Hyukjae's head. 

 

Hyukjae was sitting down on a bench of the park, just silently staying there, not even trying to cover himself up from the heavy rain. "You warned me," he mumbled with a hoarse voice.

 

Kyuhyun looked at the smaller, sighing deeply. "Let's not talk about it," he simply said. "Let's get you home."

 

Hyukjae shook his head, looking up at Kyuhyun. 

 

The taller felt his body freeze painfully at the sight of Hyukjae. His eyes were red and swollen, his cheeks were so pink he could swear he already was sick. The rain was pouting heavily and Hyukjae was looking up at him as a lost puppy. His eyes shone sadly from the tears he had shed. "You told me and I didn't believe you..."

 

Kyuhyun sighed. "Let's go home," he tried again.

 

Hyukjae let the corner of his lips go up into a soft smirk. "You were right," he said. "You said I wasn't worth someone keeping me by their side," his voice was hoarse, it was cracking. Kyuhyun's heart was breaking slowly.

 

"Hyukjae, that's not what I wanted to say, I-"

 

"You were right," Hyukjae laughed dryly, weakly. "I'm not interesting enough. I'm not attractive enough. I'm not worth enough for someone to truly like me," he laughed harder but the tears were streaming down his face again. "I always said you were stupid and look at me!" He exclaimed. He was going crazy. He couldn't stop laughing and crying at the same time. 

 

Kyuhyun felt his hands tremble. He wanted to comfort Hyukjae but he doubted he could even do something. "Hyuk-"

 

"How foolish of me to think he was being serious!" Hyukjae chuckled as a crazy man would. "For s sake! I look at myself in the mirror every day and I still believed he could actually like me!" His laugh got lost within the sound of the rain pouring down. "I'm a ing idiot."

 

"Hyukjae, let's go," Kyuhyun took Hyukjae's hand, holding the umbrella firmly even when it wasn't helping that much.

 

Hyukjae didn't put any kind of resistance, but he couldn't stop laughing and crying at the same time, whispering and muttering how he should stop trying already because he would never be able to have someone special for himself.

 

They were soaked when they arrived to Hyukjae's house and Kyuhyun sighed loudly, closing the door behind them. "Alright, first go shower and-" he gasped as he saw how Hyukjae slowly fell down the floor, unconscious. "ING DAMMIT HYUKJAE!”