Chapter 2

tour de force

Junmyeon watched from afar as his little sister, Sooyun, played with her best friend, her greatest enemy, or simply their family neighbor, Oh Sehun. Junmyeon was to keep watch of Sooyun, for he knows that the blessings, or curse, as what he thought that time, runs through the blood of his family. Their parents had powers, he had one. It's only about time that Sooyun starts realizing her powers too. She was 13 at that time and Junmyeon was about to turn 17. He had been under training for exactly one year, and for him, it was all just something that separates him from her sister, something that stands in between their time together.

It was a usual play fight between the two in mid April, as they raced each other to the riverbanks behind the Kim family's manor house. She was less than a meter away from dipping her feet to the river when the boastful little rival of hers started pulling her jet black hair.

"YAA!! CHEATER!!" she shouted as Sehun ran past her and jumped to the river first, claiming himself the winner of today's race.

She jumped along, letting the water wash over her whole body before jumping back out for air. It was fresh indeed to have the water cool down the spring sun.

Sehun had soon occupy her full attention by splashing water to her face, calling her names for being loser of the day, while Sooyun was calling him names for being an arrogant cheater, not wanting to be outdone. The names called were never meant and they both knew that.

They had fun, so much fun that Junmyeon was somewhat jealous of them, for he was never the type to mingle around teenagers his age, he would rather spent his time doing charity work, studying, or as his powers had awakened, he would usually trains by himself, for the river behind his house is a perfect place to do so.

Watching the water fight, Junmyeon can’t help but provide his beloved sister a little advantage from when he sat, for water was his element after all. He would help making the water Sooyun threw at Sehun went a little further and would hit him a little harder. He wouldn’t do more, however, because they were quite far from his position and he can’t control the element so well from such distance. He would just laugh to himself every time Sehun stumble back from Sooyun’s water slaps, obviously confused as why her offense were that strong.

Then, Junmyeon felt something in the waters stir. Something about the water’s current were disturbed, something is interfering with the natural power within the water. It definitely didn’t come from her sister, nor from their neighbour. He was about to stand and warn the two to get away from the water a figure jolted from the water.

He was tall and slender, but he was built so well that the lines of the ripped muscles on his arms were seen from where Junmyeon stood. His skin was tanned and glistening from the water drops, and even though he came from the water, his sleeveless robe was not wet. His robe was the colour of the riverbed, making him hard to saw underwater. The intruder was floating above the water, a 3-feet wave formed under his feet, and soon, a wall made out of water was formed around the kids before a girl’s scream can be heard. Instantly, Junmyeon knew the man was also a water element controller, that’s why Junmyeon couldn’t sense the man before he was too close to Sooyun and Sehun, for he must’ve conceal himself well within the water currents.  Aware of his own ability, Junmyeon knew he would not stand a chance against the 6-feet stranger. He ran as fast as he could back to his house, calling franticly for his parents, calling for help, as the life of the person he treasured most is at risk of dying.

 

*

 

What their parents saw by the time they arrive at the scene had been anything but a surprise. A whirlwind, less than 2 meter wide, but as high as the sky, stood strong over the river. The two kids were below the air column, but none of them seemed to be harmed. Then, something else: rocks, pebbles, pieces of the earth, and much more things rose from the ground and flew right to a aimlessly floating figure in the middle of the small cyclone, wrapping themselves strongly on it, crushing it with immense power.

Two elements were acting together at that very scene, and the Kim family knew one of them is their daughter’s.

In the middle of the air column, Sehun had his arms around Sooyun, protecting her as she clutch to his chest, terrified. Sehun himself had his eyes closed, probably petrified too, but being the male around, he had to at least try to be brave.

Over powering his daughter’s newly awakened earth power, Mr. Kim wrapped the lifeless intruder with a wall of stone, for he, too, had the power over earth.

“Sooyun-ah…” Mrs. Kim slowly approaches her child, fighting the wind current.

Both Sehun and Sooyun opened their eyes to the familiar loving voice and see her smiling, opening her arms for an embrace. That instant, the wind stop turning and Mr. Kim can feel the loss of power inside his own boulder. Sooyun let go of Sehun and ran to her mother, crying.

Oh Sehun however, looked lost, confused, and also a bit scared. What has just happened? What is this new flow of energy around him? Why does he feel … stronger, more dangerous? He looked at his palms and turned it around over and over again. Does he have some sort of power? But, how? None of his family members were the ones with powers…

“Sehun-ah… Come here… It’s okay… We’ll talk to your parents about this too,” he heard Mrs. Kim’s comforting tone as he saw her offering him one of her free hand, promising help and answers along. Still dazed, Sehun just nodded and come along, slowly leaving the dreadful scene to the safety of the Kim’s manor.

 

*

 

“Elemental power runs through our family, and as you knew, elemental powers were the strongest amongst all. My family here poses as a great threat to the kin over the river, for I, too, am the leader of a very strong guild of people with blessings. Perhaps they knew that my daughter’s power has not yet been awakened, and that’s why they decide to attack her first before going to the rest of my family,” Mr. Kim had gathered both of the family together in their living room, explaining things to the Oh family.

“What we didn’t expect was, as a matter of fact, your boy right here had also the power of an element. The wind, to be exact, for we saw he built a little tornado back there,” he continued.

All along, the Oh family can only listen and nods, for this was all very new to them who had never had any family member that owns such gifts.

“If you’re so sure about this, then, what should we do?” Mrs. Oh asked, afraid that her child might be taken away from her, for she knew that people with powers are to be targeted by others with powers too.

“Well, now that both of their powers had awakened, they need to be trained. Uncontrolled elemental powers were the worst, because they can make many disastrous scenes if they were to set loose. Just like what Junmyeon here had been doing in the last year, we’re going to have to send them over to a special forces unit and have them trained there,” Mr. Kim too, was sad to have his daughter away from him like how his son was, but he knew it was for their own good, along with the many innocent people out there.

 

 

---------------------------

 

After a few exchange of blows, it was obvious that Luhan had deplete his usual energy, for he can barely stood straight anymore, his breath rapid and short, sweat flow out of him like a river, and his hands and feet were trembling. Sooyun knew that if they were to keep him alive, she had to shut him down right now.

However, Luhan knew about how his enemy kept his team mates alive, and he didn’t want to end up in the enemy’s hands, for it was such a shame for a soldier to fall upon his enemy's hands. With a mind of a true warior, Luhan tapped his last bit of energy even before he had to. He thought that his own explosion would be enough to kill or at least mortally wound both of them.

 

Sooyun was quick. That was the only thing that kept the two of them alive, for she realize what Luhan planned to do before anyone heard Luhan’s war cry as he burst to flames. By the time the fire reached them, Sooyun had already grab a hold of Sehun, threw both of them down on the corner of the room and built a wall to shelter herself and Sehun from the fire, at least enough to prevent major burns. The fire was blazing red even when their eyelids blocked it from their eyes. It was hot and their skin felt pain rather than heat, like thousands needles piercing into every millimeter of their bare skin. It was well known that a man's true strength was displayed by the power of their explosion if they were to use their last burst energy.

 

 

Then, the fire faded away and it was silent. The fight here is over. They had won.

 

Sehun and Sooyun looked at each other and instantly let out their laughs. It may seem weird, but it has been a long time since just the two of them had so much fun together like this.

 

 

---------------------------