Chapter 6

tour de force

------------------

 

Time went away and the three friends graduated with extraordinary results. Many things had happened but nothing changed the love Jongin had for Sooyun and hers to him.

Sooyun’s older brother took the name Suho, meaning ‘guardian’, and took over his dad’s guild after the dreadful experience their parents went through. He was an excellent leader even in his young age. People with powers recognize him as the wise one, as the one that took care of his people, as the leader that knows how to move people’s heart, as a leader who loves peace, as a leader that guards his team.

The three fresh graduates prove themselves and were accepted to Suho’s guild. Jongin took another name as he entered the guild. From now on, he was to be called Kai, while Sooyun and Sehun decided not to take an alias.

 

 

-------------------
 
 

It was the day before this mission was announced that Sehun’s heart broke for one last time.

 

*

 

“Sehun-ah!” Sooyun called out to him from behind. Sehun was lying on his favorite spot, at the river banks behind Sooyun’s house, staring at the sky, probably thinking about the dangerous mission leader Suho has just assign him to. Sehun closed his eyes and didn’t reply her call, he just doesn’t feel like doing so. She approached him and squatted beside him.

“YA! OH SEHUN!” she flicked his forehead with her finger, forcing him to open his eyes.

“YA! Whaaat?” Sehun sit straight and shot her a fake angry stare. He had his eyes at her, the woman that will always be beautiful to his eyes. How can he ever be angry to her?

“We’ve got something to tell you,” Sehun turned his head to find Jongin behind her, didn’t know if he had just appeared of he’s been there all along with Sooyun, because he only had his eyes on her. Jongin had his hands on her waist, both of them smiling ear to ear.

“What is it now? You two finally decided to break up? Well, good. Jongin deserved someone better than you,” Sehun teased and Jongin rolled his eyes, chuckling.

“No one better than her, Sehun-ah. You know that,” Jongin pulled her closer, her body pressed against his. Sooyun can’t help but blush at his words, he always know how to flutter her.

“Tell him, Jongin,” Sooyun looked at the man beside him, smiling her heart out, nuzzling her nose to his.

“Alright, come on, enough of the PDA. Tell me what?” Sehun acted disgusted with the couple’s act.

“How about together?” he offered.

“Right. One… two… three,” Sooyun counted.

 

“WE’RE GETTING MARRIED”

 

 

 

And the world shatters around Oh Sehun.

 

-------------------

(((a/n: now try reading this one with Jin - Gone. IDK, it just seemed fit T.T http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DsuZa-ABII)))

----------------------

 

***

 

“Ya! Kim Jong Kai,” Sehun put a wall of air in front of Jongin, preventing him from walking away with Sooyun.

“Go first, jagiya,” Jongin smiled at Sooyun who was holding his hands. Letting go without erasing the slightest smile upon her lips, she nodded and skipped herself back to her home, too happy to walk on earth.

And so there were, after forcing himself the brightest smile, after faking his congratulations, after the small talk about the proposal and the diamond ring, after having cried inside, after having his heart ruined for the thousandth time; Sehun didn’t know what to think anymore.

Jongin knew he had broken Sehun yet again. But Jongin had nothing in regret, and he had no better time to ask her to be his last love if the mission they’re assigned for is really that deadly. He just had to do it. Sooner or later he would claim her anyway. It’s just a matter of time.

“I’m sorry, Sehun-ah,” Jongin started a conversation after a few minutes of laying down in silence.

Sehun however still didn’t reply. So many things were going on in his head, yet he can’t think of anything. He thought his feelings for Sooyun had gone blunt, but why does this news hurt him so much?

Pain. So sharp but without a wound.

Broken. To a million pieces but without a shape to begin with.

Empty. Feeling nothing but was filled with agony.

 

*

 

“Promise me…” Sehun finally opened his lips.

“Anything.”

“Make her happy,” he breathed out.

“Sehun-ah, I--” Jongin sit straight and looked at his best friend.

“No!” Sehun cut him off. “Make her the HAPPIEST woman ever lived. Make her the LUCKIEST WOMAN IN THE WORLD! Giver her all you got. Give her EVERYTHING you can and even more. Whatever you do, unless it’s a tear of happiness, I will NEVER forgive you for making her cry ever again. EVER!” Sehun continued, fighting back the tears in the corner of his eyes.

“Oh Sehun, look at me!” Jongin forced his partner sit straight and put both of his hands on either side of his shoulders. “I promise you this as I promised her; I will give NOTHING but the BEST for her, I will stay beside her no matter what happen, I will be her shoulder to lean on, I would do anything for her, ANYTHING! Even if it meant dying,” Jongin looked at Sehun in the eye, making sure he understands how much he is determined, how much her love meant to him, how much he would do for her.

They stare at each other for some time; Sehun looking for any sign of doubt in Jongin’s eyes, Jongin showing his unwavering love for her. The atmosphere was so tense.

“Sehun! Please…” Jongin suddenly gasps for oxygen.

Without realizing, Sehun had stopped the air around them, making it hard for Jongin to breath.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to,” he sighed and release his control.

Sehun hung his head between his knees. He knew he had lost from the start, he knew he wouldn’t have her. He tried living with that fact, but his heart still aches. He wanted to take her away, he wanted to get Jongin out of his way. However, he also knew that Jongin will not only treat her better, but he will also make her happier than he could ever do.

“You know how much I love her,” Jongin say after he catches his breath.

“And you know what I would do if you ever make her so much as feeing sad,”

“You know you could really killed me just now,”

“But I can’t because it will only break her,” Sehun smiled bitterly. “You saw how her dad broke after losing her mom. She would be worse,” Sehun stared at the horizon, shuddering from the memory of how Mrs. Kim died, making the powerful guild leader collapse to a fragile, incompetent old man who needed a special attention even for his daily needs.

The two men had stayed in silence for a long time now, but without a word, they understand each other’s mind. Jongin doesn’t need a mind reader to tell him what’s going on in Sehun’s head, and so the other way around. Sehun understands, but he is still trying to accept the pain, letting her go for one last time, letting her be with the one she loves most. He might not have let her go now, but he is still learning to do so.

 

 

Little that he know, it would be the lady that have to let him go.

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

 

 

"YOU IDIOTTT!!" Jongin ran to his best friend.

Sooyun had knelt down, placing Sehun's head on her lap. She didn’t know what to do. Her best friend is dying in front of her very eyes. There's nothing she can do but cry. It should have been her that died; it should have been her that is fighting for air. Instead, Sehun had taken her place.

She knew he was hit with a silver bullet. There's no way the bleeding would stop, for every tissue the silver bullet hit would never recover. It was a rare weapon and she was warned about the enemy's possession. Yet, she let her guard down, to the point of having her teammate sacrifice for her.

Jongin knelt beside the two, also not knowing what to do. They all know his chance of surviving is too small, even if Lay the healer could be brought here.

"Take her out of here," Sehun managed to say in one short breath, his eyes locked with Jongin's.

"P-Please, Sehun, don't speak..." Sooyun sobbed, pressing his temples, aimlessly trying to stop his bleeding.

"Yifan-... he's still here," Sehun took another haggard breath and nodded at Tao's lifeless body. "H--He would be furious. Take-... take everyone out," Sehun turned serious.

"Sehun! Please.. P-please.. I'm not leaving you!!" she refused to listen to his last words. "Jongin-ah, it should've been me..." she wailed to her fiancé.

"I'll take care of him. T-…the team..." Sehun took a deep breath, gathering his strength.

Even after everything, Jongin understands Sehun. He knew the whole team's life, the life of four other members that are in better condition are far more important than the life in front of him right now. Even if it meat losing the life of his best pal in the world. He knew Sehun is thinking of the same thing. Painful as it is, saving the others is the right thing to do, the best thing to do. Taking everyone out is the only way to save most lives. Who knows what Kris had in their storage room that would bring dooms day to all of them if they stay longer?

"K-keep her s-safe," his words came in whispers.

"I will," Jongin nodded, understanding completely Sehun's intention.

"NO!! I'M NOT LEAVING ANYWHERE!! Not without Sehun!!" Sooyun half screamed, she didn’t understand why Jongin would leave him just like that. Why would he give up on him so easily? Why? She didn’t want to leave. She wanted to stay there with him. She wanted to hold Sehun close.

"Jongin-ah... She's crying..." Sehun's lips formed a smile. "You promised she won't ever cry… Sooyun-ah... S-.. smile for me…” Sehun’s palm reached out to her cheek.

Sooyun can only wept, how could she smile seeing her best friend dying in her embrace? She tried, however, making an upward curve on her lips. Jongin can say nothing, his own tears started flowing. This is too much for even a man like him to hold back.

“May I?” Jongin realized the question was meant for him. He knew what Sehun wanted. He can’t even open his lips for an answer. He nodded and turned away, walking half way to the door, giving the two some time alone. He knew he wouldn’t stand watching what Sehun would do, for he had confessed to him once before, something he wanted to do to Sooyun. It wasn’t right to do so as Sooyun is Jongin’s woman, but he can’t say no to him right now, for this might be his last chance.

Sehun’s palms were on either side of Sooyun’s tear stained cheeks, his thumb ran across her eyes, wiping her tears. Then, holding the side of her face, he lightly pulled her face closer to him.  Sehun closed his eyes and pulled her a little bit more. She didn’t realize what was going on until it happened.

It was Sehun’s pair of trembling lips, against her very own. Sehun’s paling, dry lips pursed against her warm, soft lips.

She froze, not knowing what to do. It would be wrong for her to reply his kiss, for he was just his friend. Moreover, her fiancé is right there, just a few steps away. Yet, that instant she understand how much Sehun had loved her, how much he cares for her, how much he has been hurting, how much he wanted this. That moment, Sehun wished he had his shooter's power; to have control over time, to slow down time, to stay in that moment, capturing her lips between his.

His lips moved once, slow and gentle, passionate and tender.

But before she could decide if she would reply him, Sehun broke their first and most probably last kiss.

He opened his eyes and breathed out against her lips, “Be happy…”

 

*

 

Just then, a loud scream echoed throughout the building. It wasn’t one of their team mate’s. Just from the sound of it, they can tell the source of the voice was wrathful, angry; powerful. It was a war-cry.

“,” Sehun cursed and let go of Sooyun’s warm cheeks. “JONGIN! OUT! NOW!” he shouted, calling for his best buddy. Jongin appeared and wrap his arms around his soon-to-be wife.

“Three hundred meters north east. Call base,” Sehun commanded short and Jongin nodded.

 

“WAIT!! NO!! JONG--!!!” Sehun heard her last scream before he was the only living thing on the room. He was content, however, for he knows that Jongin had taken her to safety.

He closed his eyes, focusing his mind, taking out every last bit of pain and concentrating in making one last giant tornado around the house. He planned to block the way in and out of the building so that the only way to escape would be with teleportation. His powers were useful, because Kris’s ability to fly can easily be countered by Sehun’s power over the air.

 

*

 

"Jagi-ah.. Sooyun.. Sooyun!!" Jongin shook his partner, wanting her attention because she was trying to break free from his arms. "Sooyun please, listen to me!! I need you to FOCUS! We don't want to waste Sehun’s energy..”

Upon hearing the name, she gathered her mind and stop resisting. She nodded, signalling that she’s listening.

“Sooyun-ah, I need you to do something," Jongin took her face in his palms, making her to look at him. Tears still flowing from the corner of her eyes, she nodded. She knew she had to get her act together.

"Can you sense any underground tunnel from the house?"

She closed her eyes and went silent for a few seconds before breathing out, looking at the dark brown irises in front of her. "Two..."

"Good, thank you. Now, can you bring them down? Shut the access?"

Then, she nodded again, closing her eyes. Jongin hugged her tight. He knew she needed all the support he can give right now. He start whispering things to her, things like 'it's okay', 'you can do it', 'I’m here', and so many other to calm her down.

Then, Jongin felt the ground under him shook a little and he knew Sooyun had made sure Kris's only way out of the house is over the ground, through the air, through Sehun’s territory. And thus, they had prevented him from escaping.

"Good job, Jagiya," Jongin loosens his hug to kiss her forehead before pulling her close again, running his fingers between her long black hair.

"Now, one last thing," he whisper in her ears and waited until she nodded.

"Stay here, don't go anywhere. You trust me, don't you?" he cupped her chin and lightly pulled her face up, making eye contact. Still out of words, she nodded again.

Smiling, he pecked her lips and disappeared, leaving Sooyun still breathless in the middle of the forest.

Before she could even find a place to sit down and rest her pounding head, Jongin appear again in front of her, this time, bringing D.O to her place.

"Take care of her, please hyung" he said before going back to the building.

 

*

 

"Kai told me what happened," D.O help her sat down on the nearest stone. "We're doing the right thing," D.O continued, convincing himself as he said so.

D.O then put out his phone, dialling the number directed to their base, reporting their current situation.

D.O and Sooyun sat staring at the storm forming around the house, showing that Sehun is exerting his last bit of power to prevent Kris from going any further than the house.

By the time Kai came back with Chanyeol, the house was surrounded by a tornado, as high as the sky, as powerful as an F3 tornado. The wind blew hard on the four of them, forcing them to back away further from the house. Anything that didn't bind itself to the building went carried by the storm. Tables, shattered windows, leaves, small trees, even the house's rooftops had wavered. Adding the fire Chanyeol started earlier just now, the scene was reflecting how a natural tornado the earth. The difference is that the tornado didn’t go anywhere but stayed just around that very building.

 

It was agonizing for them to be able to do nothing but watch. Their team mate, their best friend, was fighting by himself inside, and the only thing they can do to help is by not interfering, by waiting, by doing nothing. Until Sehun turned down his wind, they can do nothing but wait before they can make sure if anyone survived, and to confine the last enemy, Kris.

 

The fire engulfs the whole building and blaze high inside the storm.

They heard a frustrated scream and knew, Sehun's plan worked. It was probably Kris, hurt from burns, unable to escape through the tornado. After a few shouts were heard, they heard one last thing. Just like how Luhan ended his life, a harsh war-cry was heard before none was ever heard again Kris's throats. And as if it was timed, the wind starts to lose its strength. The tornado starts to fade, bringing down the things it brought to the sky.

One of them: a body. Less than a hundred meters in front of where the team stood their ground, a man's body free fall to the ground. They carefully approached.

He was tall and toned, but severely burnt. His clothes were one of the most elegant before fire consumes it, his skin mostly black from carbon, or grey from smoke. The burns were so extensive that the team barely recognize him, but it doesn’t need that long for them to recognize that face, that body proportion, that clothes, for it can only belong to one man; the dark guild's leader, Kris.

 

*

 

Sooyun's mind suddenly snap.

"Sehun..." she muttered. The wind stopped rotating, didn't it? If Sehun had used all his powers, then he should've ...

"SEHUN!!" she screamed and started running back to the house.

"SOOYUN!! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!" Jongin ran, catching up to her.

"SEHUN! HE MIGHT BE ALIVE!"

"WAIT!! SOOYUN!"

 

Then, an answer came to Sooyun's eyes.

Over the ruins of the burning building; an explosion, a little stronger than Luhan's, but coming from the exact same room. And they all know who the only one in the room is.

“No…” the word slips from her lips.

Jongin and his fast reflexes held her in before she could clutch to her heart and screamed:

"OH SEHUUUUNNNNNN!!!!"