Chapter 7

Can You Keep A Secret?

Baekhyun sighed and changed his clothes. This was going to be the 5th time he was donning on another set of clothes. The pile on his bed was getting bigger.

But grey didn't not go with green. Definiely not. And he yet again took off his green shirt. He searched his wardrobe desparately for another wearable shirt. Dressing up for work shouldn't be this hard. But dressing up for a lunch date is.

He hurriedly check his watch. Great. Now he was late.

 

 

 

 

 

"So after being late for half an hour, the best you could come up with is.... this?" Jongdae motioned to his outfit with an amused grin. Baekhyun pulled on his new tie. 

"What's wrong with it?"
"I expected more from a fashion editor's wardrobe than black trousers and ..is that pink, shirt." Jongdae snickered. 

Baekhyun put a hand on his face. His friend wasn't going to let this pink shirt go, like ever. But he liked this shirt, he thought it showed off his torso nicely, but yes, he went back to relying on his go-to suit because of he was overly nervous and his whole wardrobe ended up all over his bed. But Jongdae didn't need to know that.

"I want it to be simple."
"You mean you couldn't find anything else after stripping that huge wardrobe of yours?" Jongdae sipped slowly on his coffee. Baekhyun really wanted to head to his cubicle and bury himself there till lunchtime.
"You have more clothes than a drag queen, Baek, and this is your pick?" Baekhyun sighed and walked off. What made him think that Jongdae would give him a compliment on his fashion choice?

 

 

 

 

"How's western for you?" Chanyeol's voice broke Baekhyun's thoughts about the weird seat belt. It was covered in leather and choked his neck. He kept stretching it forward to relieve his neck from such unnecessary torture. He breathed out a shaky breath. He hopes Chanyeol keeps his eyes focused on the streeth and not notice his stiffness.

"Yeah.. it's fine." 
"Are you okay?" Chanyeol to look at him when he reached a red light.

Baekhyun turned to look at his boss. 

It was a strange situation really. There were in the same position they were in 3 months ago - just that this time they were on the ground and Chanyeol was willingly listening to him. His boss's ears still stood out from the sunglasses like a puppy. Baekhyun smiled. 

"Western's fine."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"So...?" 

Baekhyun kept his head down.

"How did it go?"

Don't look up, Baekhyun.

"You know, I'm protecting important information, one I'd willingly share to the whole office. You'd better spill."

Baekhyun thinks Satan has a special spot in hell for Kim Jongdae.

"It went fine." Baekhyun mumbled out. This model in this dress had a face too square for this concept. He's not sure if he has time to replace the models.

"Okay, how did your date with our bo-" Baekhyun's hands flew onto Jongdae's mouth. How did he land a friend like that?

 

 

"We ate Western." Baekhyun sipped on his orange juice. He had too much coffee during lunch. Jongdae raised an eyebrow at that. "Go on." Baekhyun swears the two of them gossip more than girls sometimes.

"I ordered a rib-eye steak and he-" Jongdae sat up loudly.
"Yeah, I have no interest in the work your digestive system has to go through." Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "Did he or did he not eye you?" Baekhyun blushed. Why does Jongdae have to phrase everything so crudely?

"We talked and stuff."
"So you did."
Baekhyun pushed his orange juice away. 
"He said he liked my shirt."
"That horrendous thing?" Baekhyun nodded, and smiled, remembering how Chanyeol awkwardly praised his colour choice. 

"Ew, look at that shy smile. How disgustingly sweet." Jongdae clicked his tongue. Baekhyun turned his head away. He didn't realise he was smiling. 
"So what, did you guys make out in his car or something?" Jongdae continued his questioning. 

Baekhyun choked on his juice.

"Oh, my, you little er. You did!" 
"Jongdae, shut the hell up, people are looking."
"What if he's straight?  Straight as a ing circle."


 

 

 

 

Baekhyun stared at the various pictures of models on his table. He needed to get back to work. Lunch was over 3 hours ago. He took another sip of that disgusting sand coffee. 

He needed to call yet another model agency, needed to call Mr. Yamamoto, needed to get back to fixing stuff in his portfolio.

He leaned back in his chair. 

He couldn't work.

He tilted his head back and covered his face with his hands. 

Jongdae saw right through him. Okay, so it wasn't a full-on makeout session. It was just a little kiss. Baekhyun's cheeks flushed at the thought of it, he's lucky Jongdae wasn't paying attention to him to about it. 

He remembered Chanyeol tasting faintly like cigarettes - he didn't notice the man had been a smoker.

He had been very anxious the whole lunch, poking at his steak and sipping water. 

Chanyeol held his hand just so it'd stop shaking. He blushed at that memory.

When the car pulled back up at the office, Chanyeol had kissed him chastely on his lips before he could respond. 

"See you soon beautiful."

He touched the corner of his lips where Chanyeol fingers had brushed it and blushed harder.

"Now I'm just trying to ignore the fact that you're blushing like someone is giving you a from underneath that table. I hope you appreciate that."

Baekhyun entertains the fact that if Jongdae were ever kidnapped, he'd never have to call the police because his kidnappers would return him in a flash once Jongdae opened his mouth. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol always wore black or grey suits. Never white. He said it didn't suit him, made him look taller. He said he was trying to watch out for Baekhyun cause he was so short. 

"Why, thank you." Baekhyun snorted at him.

Baekhyun thought of buying him a white suit for their 1 month celebration anyway - not that the guy couldn't afford it, he just wanted to put something of his in his boyfriend's wardrobe.

Boyfriend.

Could he call him that? They've been dating for roughly a month. Rushed lunch dates with some laid back evening dinners (if work allowed) were how they started their courtship. Chanyeol never mentioned about any of his secrets on any of the time they spent together. 

He found out Chanyeol had a sister who's in heaven and parents who are more than a little caring (they avoided the topic of Dara altogether). He also found out that his boyfriend had grew up in the States and graduated from Yale recently (Baekhyun rolled his eyes at that and Chanyeol nudged him) before joining the company. His father forced him to, apparently. 

Baekhyun offered his less than interesting background about himself - but Chanyeol seemed to pay close attention to it. Estranged father and a mother who tried hard to hide her constant calls to him from his father. But Chanyeol didn't need to know that he'd been kicked out for being a disappointment. 

They knew each other well enough. Well, enough for a couple who've dated each other for a month.

"And you haven't even slept together? God, what are you 2? s?" Jongdae spat some coffee on his meeting minutes with Mr. Yohji. 

He dismissed the fact that he and Jongdae were having lunch together in a crowded canteen and his closest friend just alerted everyone around them of his ual intimacy with Park Chanyeol, their boss. 

"Since when do you care what I do in the bedroom, Jongdae?" Baekhyun ate his food. The rice tasted hard in his mouth - he was too used to the nice lunches Chanyeol brought him to on the days he actually came into the office.

"Since you looked like a rabbit that was going through withdrawal symptoms, I actually care about your ." Jongdae shrugged. "Literally."

Baekhyun shook his head. He didn't really want to discuss this with Chanyeol. It was awkward. He was his boss. He knew he liked Chanyeol, more than a little. But he doesn't know if Chanyeol really likes him. He didn't want to ask if he wasn't sure of the answer. 

"Just take care of your own, Jongdae."
"I don't need to, Byun. My is my own."

 

 

 

 

 

"This guy is going to be the death of me." Jongdae slammed some files onto Joonmyun's desk. To say Joonmyun was startled was an understatement, Baekhyun saw the poor guy jumped up into the air. This was new - Jongdae was never this angry, he was usually the subject of anger. 

"Something happened? Jongdae?" Baekhyun asked on behalf of the still shocked leader. Joonmyun just looked at Jongdae liked a gaping fish. 

"He broke the printer, spilled my coffee and somehow managed to break my computer down, destroying all my data - all before lunch! You need to take that guy off my hands now, Joonmyun." Jongdae steamed. 

"Who's this guy?" Baekhyun was confused. Whoever this guy was, he was god.

"Is it the new guy I assigned to you?" Joonmyun asked meekly. Baekhyun thinks his leader should grow a spine, no wonder he was getting pushed around like a ball in their office. 

"Of course it's that guy! Who else can it be?" Jongdae shouted. Joonmyun and Baekhyun were taken aback - Jongdae never losed his cool. "He doesn't even call my name properly! You know what calls me? CHEN!" Jongdae slammed himself down on the sofa. 

"Well, that sounds somewhat similar to Jongdae..." 

Jongdae just got up and left the room that instant.

Baekhyun stared at his leader in pity. 

"Really, Joonie?"

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun giggled and shifted around in his seat. Everything was perfect. 

He arived at the restaurant early and  got himself a table. Chanyeol was going to be surprised he showed up early for once.

He saw Chanyeol coming into the restuarant with that huge jacket of his and bobbed his head around in search for Baekhyun. Chanyeol flashed that huge grin when his eyes met Baekhyun's. One month together and that smile still got Baekhyun's heart beating faster.

"Hey Baekkie, did you wait long? Kai got lost."

Baekhyun smiled and shook his head. He still wasn't used to Chanyeol mentioning his ex-boyfriend every now and then. 

"What do you want to eat?" he asked instead.

"Steak would be good."

 

 

 

Baekhyun nervously stirred his wine. "Something on your mind, Baek?" Chanyeol held his hand gently. It seems to work, apparently. He hadn't told Chanyeol about the little gift he got for him and now he was beating himself over it. 

"I.. I know this may sound silly. It really does anyway. You know, us being adults and all. I mean no offense but we're grown men and-"

Chanyeol stood up, reached over and kissed him.

"You have the tendency to blabber when you're nervous. You know that?"

Baekhyun's face heated up at their close proximity.

"I got you a present, as a gift for our 1 month." Baekhyun looked down embarassed. He didn't really run by this idea to Jongdae before. He should have, really. He didn't know a thing about dating. He just slept around in college.

Chanyeol tilted Baekhyun's face back up, "Thank you."

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun doesn't know how he got here. He just remembered Chanyeol driving them. The car ride was silent the whole way, with Baekhyun twiddling his fingers. Sometimes he opts for strangling that horrendous seatbelt before it strangles him instead. 

"Sorry my house is a mess, I rarely have visitors." Chanyeol quickly kicked his clothes that were all over the floor and tried to clear some of the messy paperwork on his table. Baekhyun hid a grin - this was so Chanyeol. It felt nice to know this rich boy wasn't perfect.

"Drinks?" Chanyeol appeared in the living room after finishing whatever he thinks Baekhyun didn't see - like his underwear that was still lying underneath the coffee table. 

--

"So, you've never seen Star Wars before?" Chanyeol asks incredulously. He messed his hair up in frustration and scrunched up his nose. "But that's not possible! Everyone has seen it!" Chanyeol threw back his head and laughed. Baekhyun appreciated the view of that extremely long neck and puffy red cheeks. His boyfriends ears were more visible than ever and his hair was messed up. Baekhyun wonders where this might lead to.

Baekhyun shook his head. "Nope. Was never into that when I was a teen." He took another swing of that beer.

Chanyeol stared at him, with his eyes glazed. His boyfriend was drunk - that much he could tell. 

"You bought me a gift." Baekhyun never noticed how low Chanyeol could go. It changed the mood completely.

Baekhyun nodded, not trusting his mouth in these kind of situations. 

"Are we together?"

That caught Baekhyun's attention. "Aren't we?"

Chanyeol grinned and shrugged. "I like you, that's why I asked you out on a date. But I wasn't sure if things were getting serious."

"And I liked you too, that's why I accepted those dates." Baekhyun thinks he may finally get the answers to his questions tonight. 

Chanyeol shifted close. Then he shifted even closer. Baekhyun could smell the expensive perfume again. "Why do you date me, Baek?" How did the house get so quiet?

"I like you? I think we just established that, Chanyeol."

Chanyeol stared at him as if he was trying to hypnotise him. "Call me Yeol." Baekhyun swallowed. He could hear his heart beating in his chest. He briefly wonders how low Chanyeol's voice could go.

"Y- yeol."

"Now why are you dating me? And don't lie, Baek." Chanyeol's face was almost touching his. He could feel the hot breath feanning his face. Baekhyun thinks they should just kiss and stop talking because he's becoming more confused.

"I - I like you, Ch- .. Yeol." Baekhyun his lips. He could hear the clock tick. He didn't know Chanyeol's house had a clock.

.

.

.

"Chanyeol? Baekhyun? What are you guys doing?"

"Dara?"

 

 

 

 

 

^^
XOXO