Chapter 1

Can You Keep A Secret?

Byun Baekhyun was considered a successful young man. He had graduated from a good school, landed himself a good job in the XOXO Fashion Editorial Team and recently just bought himself a new house just a few streets away from the popular Gangnam district. Life was good for Baekhyun. He recently bought new money plants which now decorated his desk that his mother was promoting so enthusiastically, telling him it'd be good for his career (not that Baekhyun was superstitious in anyway) and religiously watered them between his meetings and project updates with his team. But Baekhyun may relent that his good behaviour towards the plant might be why Luhan recently transferred himself over to Sports Editorial Team as their new Project Director and there is a vacancy for the same position, here in the Fashion Department. Baekhyun wanted that job, but it was going to be hard to get it. It was a big company in XOXO and it was hard to get noticed just by talents here, but that didn't mean Baekhyun was going to back down without a fight.

'Baekhyun!!!'



That was probably Joonmyun, and he probably lost a stapler or something.

'You summoned me, Your Highness?' Baekhyun lazily leaned on the door frame of his team leader's office. 

Joonmyun narrowed his eyes at his team member - this one was not to be tamed. 'Don't sass me, Baekhyun. Hurry up and help me look for a letter from the dragon, he said it was important.' 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes while picking up a stray file on the floor Joonmyun probably threw in a hurry. He simply shrugged and put the file in Joonmyun's hands, 'I'm not going to help you find a stupid love letter, Joonie,' 

'THIS ISN'T A LOVE LETTER! AND WHY WOULD THAT STUPID GUY GIVE ME ONE!' Baekhyun was pretty sure the whole office could hear Joonmyun, he could be pretty loud when he wants to be. 

'Shut up, Joonie, unless you want your boyfriend to receive a complaint about you.' Baekhyun picked up another stray file, this time from behind Joonmyun's chair. His leader looked pretty desperate to find this love letter. 

Joonmyun rotated his chair and faced Baekhyun. 'He isn't my boyfriend and I'm not asking you to find a stupid love letter, this is important, you might need to travel to New York.' Joonmyun teethed every single word. 

Baekhyun cocked an eyebrow. HE was going to be sent abroad? Well now, this is indeed important. 

His company does send him abroad occasionally, but rarely to Japan - they had their head office there, where the old farts board of directors sit, and people were rarely needed there, unless they were getting promoted or gotten in deep and Baekhyun didn't think he fell into either ends of the spectrum. 

In the corner of his eyes, he saw a little red envelope sticking out beneath the tower of files on the edge of Joonmyun's desk. Without thinking twice, he pulled it out, resulting in a loud bang of files hitting the floor.

Joonmyun sighed, 'Was that really necessary?'

Baekhyun tore the letter open, 'Not really, no.'

Baekhyun found a small white notification slip in envelope and was about to read it when Joonmyun snatched it from his hands. 

'JOONIE!'
'That is Mr. Kim for you,' Joonmyun cooly read the contents of the letter and looked at Baekhyun.

'..What?' Joonmyun furrowed his eyebrows and Baekhyun thought it made him look older than he already is. 
Joonmyun sighed.
'You need to our MD from New York,'.

Baekhyun wasn't good with dealing with higher-ups, as one can clearly tell from how he fails to call his team leader by his proper name. Listen to Joonmyun's instructions? It just wasn't in Baekhyun's handbook to life. 

'...Joon-'
'Just try not to get fired on your way back here? I'll treat you to your favourite restaurant if you succeed in that.'
'But.. why me? I'm just a normal editor!'

Joonmyun looked through the paper he was still holding in his hand a second time. 
'hmm.. It doesn't say, this only instructs you to fly to New York and I quote, "assist in the transfer of the new Managing Director to Seoul Branch",' 
Joonmyun tucked the paper back inside its original red case and stood up.
'Maybe you've met our MD before?' 

Baekhyun stared at Joonmyun. Maybe all the all-nighters that this old man had gone through finally caught up to him and drove him mad. He just shook his head and slumped down onto the leather couch in Joonmyun's office. 

'I can't get fired now! I was aiming for that promotion!'

Joonmyun walked to the coffee table beside the couch and poured himself something to drink. 'May the force be with you.'

Baekhyun looked up at Joonmyun drinking the tea as if it were hard alcohol. Yes, maybe his leader has finally gone crazy after their whole fiasco in this May's issue. 

TAK TAK TAK

'So, are you ready to fly?' came the low tenor voice from the doorway. 

Joonmyun choked on his tea and spit out some from his nose. Baekhyun struggled to find some tissues to save his leader from further embarrassment  in front of his lover boss.

Mr. Wu took big strides into the office with his long legs clothed in the finest silk. Who wears silk suits nowadays? Baekhyun eyed the the material, being a fashion critic, he had to say it looked really good on his director - not everyone can pull off a jet black suit with a golden tie. 

He rested a gigantic hand on Joonmyun's shoulder, 'So, I assume you've managed to find my letter? I did tell you it was rather important, wouldn't want to find it being tucked in with the rest of your project materials,' 

It was always an office joke that Mr. Wu's hands were big to be able to hold that many gigantic gold bars, but looking at how Joonmyun's shoulder disappeared beneath that hand, Baekhyun is inclined to think it may not be a joke after all. 

Mr. Wu turned his attention to Baekhyun, 'Have you packed?'
Baekhyun shook his head, 'I just told him 5 minutes ago, Yifan, give the boy a break.' Joonmyun shook off the hand weighing him down. Mr. Wu patted his jacket down and looked at Joonmyun walking back to his desk, 

'Well, I've booked a 9.00am flight that's taking off tomorrow to JFK for you. I sure hope you're packing light.' 

Baekhyun didn't stay to see the lover's quarrel that was bound to happen in the next 10 minutes. He had a flight to catch in 12 hours.