Chapter 4

Can You Keep A Secret?

Baekhyun sat in his office cubicle just staring at the pictures he managed to take back to assume his responsibility that he didn't know he had. The Biennial Fashion Show, was it? He didn't remember, or rather, he wasn't thinking about it at all. He sighed again and cradled his head in his hands. How was he going to survive this?

What was that guy trying to do? Fire him? Threaten him? He's just a small editor. A small fish in the sea. There is nothing to be gained from him. Why is his boss (he had comes to terms with addresing Mr. Park as such) doing this? Is his boss just a stupid old (yes, he is) guy that has nothing better to do in his penthouse upstairs other than to think of ways to use classified (yes, he secrets are very important) information against him. What can he do before his skin is peeled off day by day by that guy?

He sighed again.

"You know, you're getting paid an awful lot to mope at your desk."
"Shut up, Jongdae."
"Are you at that time of the month again?"

Baekhyun threw a stapler at Jongdae. He didn't even need to look at him, he has had enough practice.
What was wrong with his life? Everything was going fine, and now all of a sudden, he can't even summon enough energy to look at coffee (his cup was left cold beside his project file).

"You know, if you are so hung on those little secrets of yours, why not just go into his office and tell him to shut up about it?"
Did the stapler throw Jongdae's brains away?
"That'll be a real cheerful trip. Oh, Good Morning Mr. Park! I was that that screamed in that plane ride to Seoul and told you nonsense. Please can you tell me what nonsense I said and shut your trap about them?" Baekhyun rolled his eyes at that thought. He'll be packing his desk by the end of that conversation, if it ever happened. He needed to keep this job. Hell, he was even aiming for a promotion!

"Or, you could just ask him nicely if he remembers what you said."
"But I don't want him to remember what I said!"
"Does he?"

Baekhyun resigned. "Yes, he does."
Jongdae patted him on the back, finally, something a true friend would do. Give comfort, give suggestions and pull him through the -

"Don't worry, pal. The most he can do with your secrets is display them all over the board as office jokes!"

Bastard.

 

 

 

 

Byun Baekhyun. Just knock.
He lifted his hand to the wooden door. Okay, ready? 1, 2 -
Can he ask Joonie instead? No, you can't, you little coward!
Okay, who was that? He let out a shaky breath. No matter. He had to talk to Mr. Park .Standing in front of his door and comtemplating on knocking his door gets him no where and was eating into his lunch time.
What was so hard about knocking? You lift your knuckles to the door and tap it a few times. Baekhyun raised his hands again. 1, 2 -
But what if Park Chanyeol laughs at him? Or tells his secrets to everyone?! Well, it up then.
His inner voice needs to shut up, leave him alone and let him wallow in self pity. Okay, last chance. Be a man and knock that damn door!
1, 2-
"Were you ever planning on knocking?"

Baekhyun saw a perfect triangle knot of an expensive looking tie. Well, his boss was good with ties. He looked up to see a very amused grin plastered on that perf snobbish face. He wriggled his nose. His boss's cologne was getting into his nose. It was too strong for his taste - but somehow it seemed to match the aura that Chanyeol gave off - charismatic, assertive and even little playful. What was it? Clive Christian? Rich bastard.

"err. I- err. I was.." Baekhyun stuttered. Mr. Park just rested his hands on the side of the door, patiently waiting for his answer. Baekhyun daresay he was enjoying it. Sick ert.

"I was looking for you regarding the Biennial Autumn-Winter Fashion Show. Joo- Mr. Kim told me that you asked for me." Baekhyun finally got the sentence that he'd been repeating since he left his seat half an hour ago out of his mouth. He felt somewhat relieved. Maybe if he could survive this embarrasment, he could survive anything in this world. "Yes, well, come in!" The tall giant gave him a crooked half-smile. The kind that makes Baekhyun wants to punch him in the face for being so hand- UGLY!

He had never been called to the CEO's office before. It was a real eye-opener. Literally. Baekhyun's eyes went wide at the whole set up.

The glass windows were transparent, full-sized and stretched as far as the side of the roomed allowed. It looked down to a wonderful view of the city of Seoul, all the hustle and bustle of city down below. The room had a mahogany table, so brown it was almost red. The desk was clean, clear of all paperwork a man his status should have, just a pen laid uncapped in the middle giving the only proof that his boss had been doing work. Behind it was a plush leather chair, big enough for 2 of Baekhyuns to squeeze in. The size of the office also accommodated a wooden coffee table and chairs - completed with a wide range of alcohol collection in the cabinet beside it. (Was his boss mildly alcoholic? AND IS THAT A WINE CHILLER?) There was also a flat screen TV plastered on one side of the room with a mini golf put near his desk. (Is it necessary that he adds that the carpet is ing cool? It has those weird African(?) designs on it.)

[a/n Author thinks Baekhyun meant to say Egyptian, but the author isn't sure either.]

This was the office of the son and sole heir of Park Enterprises for you, the office of Park Chanyeol. (and yes, Baekhyun has been digging around for information about his boss, do you honestly think he'll remain ignorant forever? And no, he certainly did not ask Sehun, Chanyeol's secretary, while bribing him with their office's coffee boy's number.)

He cleared his throat and sat down on one of those wooden chairs. They may look expensive, but they're so stiff. Baekhyun hopes he's not going to be sitting there for long, his cannot stand the pain. He quickly opened up his project file when he saw Mr. Park striding up to him and spread all his pictorial collection on the table. (ooh.. there was a mini pond inside the wooden table, was that even good for the fish?) Stay focused, Byun Baekhyun!

"This show is really important, Baekhyun, that's why I asked Mr. - ah. No, you call him Joonie, don't you?" Chanyeol raised his eyebrows. "Yes, Joonie, to assign me the best man available." Yeah, right, he probably picked you because he wants to see you suffer for giving him noise pollution on the plane.

Baekhyun snorted. . He looked up. Chanyeol just smiled.

"I'm not here to punish my employees, you know, even those that left me wandering in the airport because they were late." Oh yeah, right.
Baekhyun hung his head down. Well, better late than never.

"I'm truly sorry, Mr. Park. I was rushing to the airport and-" but he was cut off.
"Chanyeol, please." he gave Baekhyun a small smile. "and it was partly my fault, I forgot to identify myself to you during the short 2 days you were in New York."

Baekhyun had a problem with this. This Chanyeol guy talks like he has a stick up his .

"..well, okay. I'm still sorry." Chanyeol waved his hand. "It's no problem. Now that we've got that out of the way, what's your suggestion for the fashion show?" Chanyeol adjusted his suit and stood up, walking to his alco- drinks cabinet. Baekhyun pushed his glasses up. "I've discussed this with my team and we think that it's good to put a colour as a theme, we are deciding on this designer and his work do not conform to a certain genre and-"

"Who?" Baekhyun really hate being cut off in mid-conversations.

"Mr. Yohji Yamamoto." Chanyeol smiled. "I like him." He nodded again. "Yes, go on."

Baekhyun pushed his glasses up again. "Yes, so if we give him a certain scheme of colour to work with-"

"Doesn't he usually do it in all black?" Was this the third time in less than 10 minutes?

"Yes, he does, but for autumn and winter we were thinking of giving him fall colours to work with so-"

"What colour then?" Baekhyun blinked. This was the fourth. He fumed internally.

"Well-" "What colour do you like?" He was surprised. A colour he liked? But it's autumn so-

"Pink?" Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows. Now Chanyeol was interrupting even his thoughts. Yeah, pink is a good colour, he liked pink and he could probably make it work. Since it's for the autumn-winter show, he could Mr. Yohji to tone it down to pale-....

Wait.

"You like pink, don't you?" Baekhyun snapped his head. No, no, no he doesn't. When did- how did-

If Baekhyun could see himself through Chanyeol's eyes, he'd wonder how his eyes got so big. If they had the potential to be that wide and round, he needn't the eyeliner he puts on everyday to work.

Breathe in. Breathe out.
You know that he knows.
He knows that you know that he knows.
You also know that he knows that you know that he knows.
Wait, what?
Okay, just take it easy. Accept it and move on. Accept it and move on.

"...I think it's okay..." Baekhyun offered meekly, just scribbling his ideas furiously onto the little notepad he brought with him. Ideas meaning, Mr. Yohji's name and pink repeatedly.

"Better than boring colours like grey and black and blue though?" Chanyeol prodded. He stuffed his hands in his pants, leaning beside the cabinet. He smiled and straightened up. "Drinks?"

No, I do not wish to get drunk at 3pm in the afternoon. "No, but thanks, Chanyeol."

Chanyeol shrugged. He opened and poured himself something that looks suspciously like whisky. (who the hell drinks whisky at 3? well, beside from Joonie's lover.)

"But Mr. Chanyeol, won't pink be a really big shift in the new direction? I do not mean to sound conservative, but pinks in an autumn show?" Baekhyun would really like if his secret were not part of some big scheme. It was bad enough that one person knew. He didn't want the whole office to see how much he liked pink. (yes, he's obsessed with pink.)

"But, I thought you liked pink? It'd be easier to work with a colour scheme you're more comfortable with."
"I'm comfortable with neutrals."
"You like pink."
"Yes I do! But that's not the point here! Pink is a horrible idea!"

Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun looked wide eyed at each other. This was the first time Baekhyun raised his voice against Chanyeol. Chanyeol frowned and looked down at his cup. Baekhyun looked at his boss slowly swirling his drink. (was he pouting?!)

"I just thought you'd be more happy with something you like, since you're leading this project after all." Chanyeol looked at him with fallen shoulders.

Baekhyun never thought a fully grown man that's over 6 feet tall could look like a hand-sized puppy. But it's possible. It's really possible. Okay, now he just feels horrible, like he kicked a newly born pup. Baekhyun, you are a horrible, horrible, man.

He closed his eyes tightly. He's going to regret this. He really is. "..I.. I could." He shook his head. "No, I mean Mr. Yohji could work with pink?" Baekhyun whispered. (why was he whispering?)

Chanyeol whipped his head up. "That's fantastic!" He grinned. Baekhyun on the other hand looked down immediately, scribbling away furiously again. (this time about too much teeth in a smile.)
"So glad we decided on pink, I need to be off somewhere now." Chanyeol picked up his coat that was lying across the sofa, putting down his cup (it was already empty). "I believe my driver is already here."

The door to the office was suddenly opened.

"Ah, there he is. Speak of the devil!"

Baekhyun was really glad this was over. The pink thing - he would have to deal with it somehow. Duct tape Jongdae probably. But for now, he'd be able to concentrate on his work. Contact Mr. Yohji, make him happy (god knows the guy hates direct orders) and hire some models. Anything but pink for now.

"Baekhyun?"
"Yes?"
"You know Kai, my driver?"
"Oh yes, we know each other. I changed my name after college. It was Jongin."
"Jongin? I think I've heard that name somewhere before..." Chanyeol scratched his chin and looked at Baekhyun.

Oh god no.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yay! 4th chapter finished! :)
I'm sorry for being so slow with the story, but I wanted to introduce the characters properly, with at least some background to them.
Expect some ChanBaek romance soon~~~
Tata for now!
XOXO