An Encounter Near the Counter

Listen to Your Heart

With a few minutes to spare, Mihyun made it back to class on time.

Seeing everyone already in their seats, Mihyun hurriedly walked to her desk and sat down. 

"Hey Mihyun."

Mihyun smiled and turned to face Chanyeol.

"Hey Chanyeol!"

​"So...how was your lunch? Were you able to find your locker...?" Chanyeol asked while trying to hide his smile.

"Yes, and it's all thanks to you!"

Chanyeol freezed. "I...I don't know what you're talking about..." he said laughing nervously. 

"Yes, you do. Didn't you send someone to help me?" 

"No, I didn't...Hey your hair looks nice today Mihyun" Chanyeol said trying to change the subject.

"Haha don't try to change the subject Chanyeol. And um, I just met you today so how would you know how my hair looks like on other days?"

"Um..." Chanyeol looked away as he tried to think of what to say next. 

Mihyun grinned evilly. Hehe this is what you get for ditching me at lunch Chen.

"Chen told me everything."

Hearing this, Chanyeol quickly turned his head to face Mihyun.

"What?!" 

"Yeah, he told me that you sent him to help me find my locker and then mysteriously disappear like a NINJA."

Mihyun tried to hold  in her laughter, but the last part of that sentence was too much for her to handle.

"Hahaha...sorry, but the last part sounded too funny to me."

Chanyeol's face reddened and he turned his head to Chen who was talking with his friend.

"That little troll..." Chanyeol said under his breath while holding up a fist. 

"I should have taken your offer from before...but why are you trying to hide the fact that you helped me? 

Chanyeol sighed and started twirling his pen.

"I was just afraid that you would be angry with me...You told me many times that you didn't need my help, so I thought that you would get mad if you knew that I helped you anyway..."

"How could I get mad at you when I was the one who didn't listen to you? I think that it was very sweet of you to look out for me, despite what I said. Thank you." Mihyun said smiling.

Chaneyol blushed and smiled. "No, problem. That's what desk buddies are for, right?"

"Right. Don't you worry Chanyeol, I'll always look out for you."

"Me too, Mihyun. You can count on me to always be there for you."

The sweet friendship moment was suddenly interrupted by Mihyun's hungry stomach.

Growl...gurgle...gurgle.

Mihyun's eyes widened. Oh my gosh...how embarrassing... be quiet stomach! He didn't hear that did he?

"What was that?" Chanyeol asked.

Oh shoot...he did hear it.

"Oh...that was um my...RINGTONE!"

Mihyun mentally face palms herself.

Chanyeol smiled. "Your ringtone?? Haha, what kind of song is that?"

Wow...I can't believe he bought that.

"Um...just a song. Don't judge my taste in music!"

"Whoa, I wasn't judging. Haha. But Mihyun...your phone should not be on during school hours."

Chanyeol wagged his pen in her face.

"Shame on you." Chanyeol said jokingly. 

"Oh...yeah. Haha I better go turn it off now." 

Mihyun took out her phone and pretended to turn it off when it was already off to begin with.

Suddenly Baekhyun ran into the room just as the bell rang. 

"I'm here! I'm here!" he shouted.

"Yes...Now please sit down Mr. Byun." Mr. Kim said.

Baekhyun bowed apologetically and quickly ran to his seat.

"Okay class quiet down; lunch is over now. Please open your intermediate English books to page 5."


"Ok class, that's it for today. See you tomorrow." Mr. Kim said after the last bell rang.

The students quickly closed their books and started to pack up their stuff.

Chanyeol finished packing before Mihyun and tapped her shoulder.

"Hey, desk buddy. I'll see you tomorrow, ok? I need to go somewhere and prepare for something"

I wonder what he's up to? It's probably too rude to ask. We aren't that close yet...

Mihyun waveds and gave Chanyeol big smile.

"Ah, okay. See you tomorrow Chanyeol!"

Chanyeol returned the smile and headed out of the classroom. "Bye~" 

Mihyun finished up packing her stuff and took out the flyer from before. 

She took a look at the address and sighed.

I hope I'll be able to find the studio without getting lost..


15 minutes later...

Mihyun got off the bus and took out her smartphone opening a GPS app. 

She looked around and spotted the brown building two blocks away. 

"Oh there's the studio!" 

Mihyun put away and her phone and started walking. 

Gurgle...gurgle...growl...

Ugh. I'm so hungry! I wish I didn't skip lunch today.

She put her hand over her stomach and looked around. 

"I should probably eat something before dancing....I might faint if I don't eat."

"Hm...The Late Night Owl Cafe? That sounds interesting."

Mihyun put her hand on the door handle and walked in.

 Jingle...Jingle.

As Mihyun opened the door, a little bell made a ringing sound that signaled that a customer arrived.

A waiter with squishy cheeks walked up to her and bowed. 

"Welcome to TLNOC! Please have a seat anywhere you like!" he said with a smile.

Mihyun bowed back and walked to the available seat next to the counter. 


He stopped cleaning the table counter as soon as the girl walked in.

"Whoa." 

"Hey Kyungsoo! More working and less staring!" his friend said while hitting him.

"I wasn't staring Xiumin!! I was...Just admiring how clean I made the counter top..."

"Psh, yeah right. Go and take her order if you think she's so beautiful!" Xiumin teased.

Kyungsoo blushed at his hyung's comment.

"What? Who said that I think that she's beautiful?"

"Okay, fine. Suit yourself. If you won't, then I will."

"No, Hyung...wait."

But it was too late, Xiumin was already walking up to her.

Kyungsoo watched as Xiumin greeted her and got a bit jealous when she smiled at him.

The girl then suddenly started walking to the counter and Kyungsoo quickly ran into the kitchen. 

Oh shoot! Why does she have to choose a seat so close to the counter?

He heard Xiumin laugh as Xiumin joined him in the kitchen. 

"Hey, you're right Kyungsoo! She is kinda cute! I should use my charms and ask her out." Xiumin teased.

"Don't you dare." Kyungsoo said while giving him a death glare. 

"Haha, fine. But if you're going to take her order, you gotta stop smiling like a fool." 

"What?"

Was I really smiling this whole time?

"Ok...I'll try. How's this?"

Kyungsoo tried to keep a straight face but ended up smiling less than a second later.

"...Good enough! Now go get her, man!" Xiumin said while pushing him out of the kitchen.

The girl looked up from her menu and smiled at him.

"Hi, I'm ready to order."

Oh my goodness...Her smile is absolutely stunning...Snap out of it Kyungsoo! Focus on your job and try not to smile too much.

Kyungsoo straightened up and took out his notepad.

"Ah, yes. What would you like miss?"

"I would like the spaghetti special please."

Kyungsoo smiled to himself, but quickly returned back to a poker face. 

That's my signature dish...
"Great choice! We'll have it out soon miss!"

He quickly jotted it down and rushed back into the kitchen.

"So...how'd it go~? Did you give her one of your heart shaped smiles?" Xiumin said while smirking.

"No~! My job is to cook and wait tables! Not to flirt with customers! Now if you excuse me~. I have a dish to make."

After Kyungsoo was done cooking, his dad, the owner of the restaurant asked him to help move some boxes. 

"Son! Can you come here and help your old man move some boxes?"

Ugh. But I was going to deliver this to her table...I want to see her face when she sees and tastes my best dish.

"I'm coming dad~!" Kyungsoo said with a disappointment.

"Don't worry man, I got your back." Xiumin said.

Kyungsoo smiled at his friend and picked up the dish, ready to leave the kitchen.

"Thanks hyung, you're the best."

Xiumin  smiled.

"No problem~ What are friends for?"

Xiumin then tookthe dish from Kyungsoo's hands.

"Have fun moving boxes, I'll take care of this." Xiumin said while winking.

Sigh...I should have known. Typical Xiumin. Always trying to tease me.


Kyungsoo went and finished moving the boxes in the speed of light. 

After that, he quickly ran to the kitchen and found Xiumin washing dishes. 

"So? What did she say? Did she like my spaghetti?" he asks Xiumin.

"See! You do like her!" Xiumin teased.

"No...Ok, I admit that I think that she's pretty...but it doesn't mean I like her. I don't even know her! She could be a weird, crazy, messy, rude, and disgusting person for all I know!" Kyungsoo exclaimed. 

"Then why do you care about what she thinks?" Xiumin asked.
"As a chef, I care about what people think of my food. Duh."

Xiumin finished washing his last plate and took off his gloves.

"Fair enough. Ok, I'll tell you....but don't go fanboying afterwards." 

Kyungsoo nodded and sat down on a stool.

"She said..."

Five minutes ago...

"Here's your order!" Xiumin said with a smile. 

"Thank you! Ooh~It looks good!" Mihyun said.

Mihyun took a bite and her whole face lit up.

"Oh my gosh, this spaghetti tastes so good!! It feels like I'm in heaven~"

"I'm glad you liked it. Your waiter from before made it. It's his signature dish!" Xiumin said proudly.

"Wow! He's such a great cook! Can you help pass on my compliments to the chef?"

Xiumin grinned evilly. 

"Of course miss...uh...miss..."

"My name is Jung Mihyun, and you can count on me to come back again!"

"Thank you, we won't disappoint you. Please enjoy your meal~."

Xiumin bowed and walked back into the kitchen.

Now...

Kyungsoo waited patiently with hopeful eyes for Xiumin to finish his sentence.

"She said...that it was okay."

"What? Just O K?" 

"Yup. There wasn't much reaction from her."

Kyungsoo felt disappointed.

"I knew it...see she's someone who doesn't appreciate my cooking skills!"

He got up and started to walk into the employee rest area when Xiumin stopped him. 

"Just kidding~She said that she loved it." 

Kyungsoo's eyes widened and a smile slowly started to form. 

"Really?" 

"Yeah! Oh, and I found out her name for you! Her name is Jung Mihyun."

"Haha. I knew it. No one can resist Do Kyungsoo's Spaghetti. Jung Mihyun? Ok, I'll remember that. She seems like a nice person. I'll try to get to know her. She's not the first person to like my food..."

"Yeah and then afterwards you can ask her out and then get married..."Xiumin teased.

"Hyung. I already told you that I'm not interested in her in that way. Ok? So don't you try to set us up!" Kyungsoo said seriously before walking away.

Xiumin shook his head. 

"Silly boy~I'm pretty sure that you're going to fall for her one day or another, my friend. One day or another..."


Author's Note: Hey guys! How was this chapter? Sorry again for the grammar mistakes...and for the super late update! I hope you guys are having a good week~^^